Six new incomings! Who will they be?

Gopher Brown

Even if we only got Sancho (big 'if'), I'd say our team would look pretty good, providing we keep Pogba. Bruno was clearly his replacement though.

Sancho and a left back, happy-ish days.

RUCK4444

If I was given the job I wouldn't have signed Maguire and AWB due to the cost and would've kept Smalling for at least another season. I agree with getting rid of players that didn't want to be here though. But I would've gone further and got rid of Lingard, Pereira and Jones too. And with the money available sign a short term RB with a view to giving Ethan Laird, time to stake his claim for the RB spot. Also sign a CB that is considerably cheaper in comparison to what Leicester were asking for Maguire. And then I would spend the rest on a couple of quality midfielders which would in all likelihood served us much better IMO.

The moves we made for Maguire and AWB and for the cost actually slowed down our rebuild IMO. We actually should've been further along with our rebuild if we adopted a strategy whereby we looked for value signings rather than blow most of the budget on a RB and CB, that quite frankly didn't warrant such transfer fees IMO.

Short term RB, Denis Zakaria DM, creative CM and Ibrahima Konate CB.

Would the above 4 players be possible for what we spent on Maguire and AWB? In my humble opinion the answer is yes. And that is the reason I believe the summer recruitment was below average and could quite easily have been much better from a team balance POV.
Your speaking purely from hindsight which is a luxury no manager has unfortunately. That said I'm more than happy with Maguire and AWB.

I expected a little more from Maguire but he's clearly captain material and better than anything we had at the time of signing and I'm sure will go from strength to strength over the coming seasons - therefore an improvement.

AWB has exceeded my expectations defensively, I mean, we are talking about possibly the best defensive RB in Europe. He's shown glimpses of improvement going forward and that's an area he can work on. Without doubt an upgrade and worth the money Imo.

Both players were available at the time, that's something that people need to start factoring in when discussing transfers. It's ok saying 'oh we should have done this or done that' it's never that simple. We probably overpaid but show me one player in the last ten years we haven't overpaid on - James maybe?

If I was in Ole's position I would have probably prioritized Maguire and AWB whilst they were available and not risk losing out on them.

I think I was one of the only people I remember preferring to keep Smalling on here at the time, can't remember anybody talking about partnering Smalling with Maguire. I always rated Smalling more highly than Lindelof and still do. I agree we should have kept him.

We risked struggling with the squad once injuries kicked in, nobody would have expected losing Pogba for the entire season and other key players such as Scott and Rashford, martial for a while. Particularly unlucky in that respect.

Dan James has been a good signing overall. Bruno looks a good addition and one the board should have gotten over the line last summer.

When you add it all up, aside from the inconsistent performances, when this side is at full strength it's in much better shape and more balanced than it was.

You have to concede that at least under Ole it feels like an actual rebuild, unlike under previous management who seemed to have a scattergun approach while making awful signings. The approach has changed and the signings have been better than previously.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Strange how many posters think LB is a priority when we've got much bigger needs at CF, RW and CM. All of which would require a major financial investment.

Alabaster Codify7

Your more regular than a period my friend and even less appealing.

I love how you think anybody who can see a light at the end of the tunnel just doesn’t have any standards.

If it’s a top 10 squad then Ole is doing well if we get CL :lol:

Guess what, standards are pointless if you can’t accept your position in life and put in the effort to change/improve that position.

We were the best in England, the dogs b*llocks, the cream of the Prem... BUT we are feckin miles away from that.

You can’t just say ‘lack of standards we should be winning the league like under good ol’ Fergie!!’

You have to fight to get back and that’s a long road, it’s not our rite to champagne football and trophies pal. This is where, ya know, actually supporting the squad and manager pays dividends, not just when we were winning everything.
1) That's actually a fantastic putdown, I like it!

2) Nobody under my name has claimed we should be winning the league or even competing for it. I am just unwilling to accept such medicrity as 'ah well it is what it is' when it SHOULDNT be what it is, given our money spent and apparent appeal to be able to improve that situation. I abhore complacency in any form of life, no matter what path you are on.

3)I hate champagne and shiny-shiny things don't appeal to me mate in general, hence I own literally next to nothing and prefer to enjoy life itself in which football is actually a very minor part....which is probbaly why I have such a disconnect from being a 'real fan and supporter' and I don't mean that sarcastically.

On a final note, I have to go to back to your first insult which was brilliant, again, not sarcastic, loved it! Peace out.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Your speaking purely from hindsight which is a luxury no manager has unfortunately. That said I'm more than happy with Maguire and AWB.

I expected a little more from Maguire but he's clearly captain material and better than anything we had at the time of signing and I'm sure will go from strength to strength over the coming seasons - therefore an improvement.

AWB has exceeded my expectations defensively, I mean, we are talking about possibly the best defensive RB in Europe. He's shown glimpses of improvement going forward and that's an area he can work on. Without doubt an upgrade and worth the money Imo.

Both players were available at the time, that's something that people need to start factoring in when discussing transfers. It's ok saying 'oh we should have done this or done that' it's never that simple. We probably overpaid but show me one player in the last ten years we haven't overpaid on - James maybe?

If I was in Ole's position I would have probably prioritized Maguire and AWB whilst they were available and not risk losing out on them.

I think I was one of the only people I remember preferring to keep Smalling on here at the time, can't remember anybody talking about partnering Smalling with Maguire. I always rated Smalling more highly than Lindelof and still do. I agree we should have kept him.

We risked struggling with the squad once injuries kicked in, nobody would have expected losing Pogba for the entire season and other key players such as Scott and Rashford, martial for a while. Particularly unlucky in that respect.

Dan James has been a good signing overall. Bruno looks a good addition and one the board should have gotten over the line last summer.

When you add it all up, aside from the inconsistent performances, when this side is at full strength it's in much better shape and more balanced than it was.

You have to concede that at least under Ole it feels like an actual rebuild, unlike under previous management who seemed to have a scattergun approach while making awful signings. The approach has changed and the signings have been better than previously.
I'm not talking with the benefit of hindsight at all. I actually said the same in the summer. Ibrahima Konate was my choice for the CB role. I preferred Max Aarons to AWB and also said that if reports were true that we would only sign 3 players, then I hope we spend the whole budget on midfield and attack.

You say both players were available, but for £50m and £80m, how could they possibly not be available from Palace and Leicester? Most players around Europe would be available for such sums. I wouldn't say them being available validates your point in us signing them due to the ludicrous fees IMO.

I personally wouldn't prioritise a CB or RB for the total outlay spent on Maguire and AWB from a position of weakness, considering our squad had glaring deficiencies in midfield and attack. You make such signings from a position of strength IMO. In our predicament it was best to look for value signings and maybe make a big splash on a top quality midfielder. This is why I want a Sporting Director with experience of building teams to compete at a high level. Rangnick or Campos should've been brought in to oversee such a rebuild and I'm confident with their track record they would make our transfer budget go alot deeper than it did.

From what I've seen of Dan James thus far I don't believe he is a good signing for the reported £18m. Inter bought Lautaro Martinez for a similar price and he's a similar age and looks much more talented. I hope he proves me wrong but right now I don't see him being a good signing at all. I have a feeling Hannibal Mejbri will prove to be our best acquisition from last summer and he plays in our youth team(s).

Injuries are part of football and it's imperative you go into a season with a balanced squad. Ole chose to prioritise AWB and Maguire which inturn affected our midfield and attack due to the ridiculously high fees for both players. The Glazers weren't gonna carry on spending ridiculous sums especially after our revenues have flatlined. It was important to be shrewd and intelligent in how we operated in the summer with budget at hand and I don't believe we were.

Under the last manager the mindset was different. The mindset was to challenge for the league and money was given to him to make it possible. He failed to do that but I wouldn't say it was a rebuild during his tenure or he was trying to rebuild the team like how we're seeing now under Ole. He spent alot of money and most of his signings were poor hence any manager after him would now be involved in a rebuild. Rebuilds of the nature we want require planning, vision and foresight which are conducted by experienced minds. The current rebuild looks like it's gonna a be a very costly one and I'm not sure that will be good for us in the mid-term. If spending record sums or near record sums on Maguire and AWB is your idea of a rebuild then I completely disagree with such a rebuild in such a costly way.

Scholsey2004

We won't sign six players or even close in the summer imo. It'll be more like two. A big creative signing like Sancho, Grealish or Maddison and a squad player. We're more likely to sell six.

RUCK4444

I'm not talking with the benefit of hindsight at all. I actually said the same in the summer. Ibrahima Konate was my choice for the CB role. I preferred Max Aarons to AWB and also said that if reports were true that we would only sign 3 players, then I hope we spend the whole budget on midfield and attack.

You say both players were available, but for £50m and £80m, how could they possibly not be available from Palace and Leicester? Most players around Europe would be available for such sums. I wouldn't say them being available validates your point in us signing them due to the ludicrous fees IMO.

I personally wouldn't prioritise a CB or RB for the total outlay spent on Maguire and AWB from a position of weakness, considering our squad had glaring deficiencies in midfield and attack. You make such signings from a position of strength IMO. In our predicament it was best to look for value signings and maybe make a big splash on a top quality midfielder. This is why I want a Sporting Director with experience of building teams to compete at a high level. Rangnick or Campos should've been brought in to oversee such a rebuild and I'm confident with their track record they would make our transfer budget go alot deeper than it did.

From what I've seen of Dan James thus far I don't believe he is a good signing for the reported £18m. Inter bought Lautaro Martinez for a similar price and he's a similar age and looks much more talented. I hope he proves me wrong but right now I don't see him being a good signing at all. I have a feeling Hannibal Mejbri will prove to be our best acquisition from last summer and he plays in our youth team(s).

Injuries are part of football and it's imperative you go into a season with a balanced squad. Ole chose to prioritise AWB and Maguire which inturn affected our midfield and attack due to the ridiculously high fees for both players. The Glazers weren't gonna carry on spending ridiculous sums especially after our revenues have flatlined. It was important to be shrewd and intelligent in how we operated in the summer with budget at hand and I don't believe we were.

Under the last manager the mindset was different. The mindset was to challenge for the league and money was given to him to make it possible. He failed to do that but I wouldn't say it was a rebuild during his tenure or he was trying to rebuild the team like how we're seeing now under Ole. He spent alot of money and most of his signings were poor hence any manager after him would now be involved in a rebuild. Rebuilds of the nature we want require planning, vision and foresight which are conducted by experienced minds. The current rebuild looks like it's gonna a be a very costly one and I'm not sure that will be good for us in the mid-term. If spending record sums or near record sums on Maguire and AWB is your idea of a rebuild then I completely disagree with such a rebuild in such a costly way.
I'm sure you did have a different opinion on who to sign in the Summer, the thing is none of us know how that would have played out.

This is where the unrealistic pressure on a manager skews their decision making. Ole probably looked and Maguire and AWB and thought, young, British, used to the league and that they probably would be signed by other interested parties if we don't take them now.

Then, I agree we overpaid. But United always do, that's not a new thing.

I'd like to think United can complete a successful rebuild in a cost effective way, but in what world is that possible? United are THE team that is made to overpay more than any other in Europe, because of the mess we are in and the money we make.

A rebuild was going to be costly, I agree it would have been better arranged with a sporting director in place, likewise this would have taken some of the pressure away from Ole but for whatever reason the club still refuse to appoint somebody to the position.

Things can always have been improved upon with the benefit of hindsight but I'm still happier with how this rebuild is going than I have been under previous management. They are solid signings playing in the right positions instead of square pegs for round holes.

If you look at it this way, with the signings we have under our belt so far and the deadwood (and wages) shifted out already we can really pinpoint the remaining positions left to improve in the summer with a fresh budget.

My perfect summer would be RW (Sancho), additional CM and a big name striker to take pressure off Rashford. Then if we can keep Pogba on top of that then this side will be a world away from the mess Ole took over.

RUCK4444

1) That's actually a fantastic putdown, I like it!

2) Nobody under my name has claimed we should be winning the league or even competing for it. I am just unwilling to accept such medicrity as 'ah well it is what it is' when it SHOULDNT be what it is, given our money spent and apparent appeal to be able to improve that situation. I abhore complacency in any form of life, no matter what path you are on.

3)I hate champagne and shiny-shiny things don't appeal to me mate in general, hence I own literally next to nothing and prefer to enjoy life itself in which football is actually a very minor part....which is probbaly why I have such a disconnect from being a 'real fan and supporter' and I don't mean that sarcastically.

On a final note, I have to go to back to your first insult which was brilliant, again, not sarcastic, loved it! Peace out.
Hah cheers I literally came up with it as I was typing, random but made me laugh also.

I actually frown upon any form of complacency in both work and personal life. I admire and love this club for setting standards.

At the end of the day we can still achieve CL football at the moment and that would have been the best outcome at the start of this season - agreed?

I'm by no means settling for this mess we are in, far from it. I just feel the desperation for immediate improvement and unrealistic performance level during this rebuild are out of our reach at the moment.

I'm furious about the amount of injuries because I wanted to have a real balanced view on Ole after this season, I know many have made their minds up but I fear we may be missing a trick somewhere. Currently I'm looking at what I feel is an improvement in player recruitment and his attempt to implement more appealing tactics (high press, attacking play.)

I've relied on gut feeling a lot in my life and it very rarely lets me down, my gut tells me Ole's trying to do exactly what most of us would want to see on the pitch. It's nothing to do with him being a former player, I just see a few key differences to the previous management and I really want to see if it can take shape with a full strength squad with new additions.

Obviously these results we've had cannot continue and if so Ole will go and rightly so.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm sure you did have a different opinion on who to sign in the Summer, the thing is none of us know how that would have played out.

This is where the unrealistic pressure on a manager skews their decision making. Ole probably looked and Maguire and AWB and thought, young, British, used to the league and that they probably would be signed by other interested parties if we don't take them now.

Then, I agree we overpaid. But United always do, that's not a new thing.

I'd like to think United can complete a successful rebuild in a cost effective way, but in what world is that possible? United are THE team that is made to overpay more than any other in Europe, because of the mess we are in and the money we make.

A rebuild was going to be costly, I agree it would have been better arranged with a sporting director in place, likewise this would have taken some of the pressure away from Ole but for whatever reason the club still refuse to appoint somebody to the position.

Things can always have been improved upon with the benefit of hindsight but I'm still happier with how this rebuild is going than I have been under previous management. They are solid signings playing in the right positions instead of square pegs for round holes.

If you look at it this way, with the signings we have under our belt so far and the deadwood (and wages) shifted out already we can really pinpoint the remaining positions left to improve in the summer with a fresh budget.

My perfect summer would be RW (Sancho), additional CM and a big name striker to take pressure off Rashford. Then if we can keep Pogba on top of that then this side will be a world away from the mess Ole took over.
Sancho and a CM would be fantastic. Who would you buy as the big name striker?

RUCK4444

Sancho and a CM would be fantastic. Who would you buy as the big name striker?
That’s the tricky one because we have Rashford established and Greenwood coming through, yet I feel we need more goals if we are to progress as quickly as fans want.

It stings that we missed out on Haaland.

I would go for an older head for rotation, somebody like Cavani, basically a better option than Ighalo (although I hope he does well.)
Edit: Just seen us linked to Jota, a signing like that would be perfect this summer, an established PL forward who would fit in well imo.

Ultimately I would love this to work:-

Martial - Rashford - Sancho

I just worry if there is enough guaranteed goals there and also Martials consistency.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I'm by no means settling for this mess we are in, far from it. I just feel the desperation for immediate improvement and unrealistic performance level during this rebuild are out of our reach at the moment.

I'm furious about the amount of injuries because I wanted to have a real balanced view on Ole after this season, I know many have made their minds up but I fear we may be missing a trick somewhere. Currently I'm looking at what I feel is an improvement in player recruitment and his attempt to implement more appealing tactics (high press, attacking play.)

I've relied on gut feeling a lot in my life and it very rarely lets me down, my gut tells me Ole's trying to do exactly what most of us would want to see on the pitch. It's nothing to do with him being a former player, I just see a few key differences to the previous management and I really want to see if it can take shape with a full strength squad with new additions.

Obviously these results we've had cannot continue and if so Ole will go and rightly so.
If Ole gets who he needs this summer in terms of utility, I can see him having only next season to prove himself or the pressure will mount come the winter of 2021. The clock starts ticking this summer providing we spend big and get who we need -- another attacking option/RW like Sancho, Matic replacement and a creative midfielder.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We need more players at Bruno and Maguire age, players who don't need to be babysitted with still room for improvement.

croadyman

Strange how many posters think LB is a priority when we've got much bigger needs at CF, RW and CM. All of which would require a major financial investment.
Yeah compared to those three positions LB is low priority but we need to address it either in Jan 21 or Summer 21.

Still think there is a chance we could sign Ighalo permanently and all our efforts will go into getting Sancho (champions league permitting) & Grealish.

RUCK4444

If Ole gets who he needs this summer in terms of utility, I can see him having only next season to prove himself or the pressure will mount come the winter of 2021. The clock starts ticking this summer providing we spend big and get who we need -- another attacking option/RW like Sancho, Matic replacement and a creative midfielder.
Yeah totally agree, two summers is what any manager would have needed to totally repair the mess the squad was in.

The recruitment is good and the intent to play a more attractive style is there with Ole.
I believe the latter will be possible when the former continues in the summer.

If not then Ole hands over a much improved squad to the next manager.

Champagne Football

A perfect summer would look like
Grealish
Sancho
Moussa Dembele
Aaron Ramsey
Jude Bellingham

A realistic summer will probably look like
Grealish
Buendia
Moussa Dembele

RedRJ

• Grealish - £50m
  • Sancho/Chiesa/Werner (not a RW, but would be the alternative I go for and we figure it out) - £100m
  • (Maybe) Striker (depth, target man with technique) - <£40m
Rashford - Martial - Sancho
McTominay - Bruno
Fred
Shaw - Maguire - Smalling - Wan Bissaka
De Gea

James - Target man - Greenwood
Garner - Grealish
Matic
Williams - Lindelof - Bailly/Tuanzebe - Dalot
Romero/Henderson​

This would be the best balance IMO, while being very realistic. Defence we have good straight replacements for each player, even if we are lacking a bit creatively at fullback. Realistically it isnt changing. Goalkeeper we're fine of course.

Midfield we always start 2 out of Fred, Grealish and Bruno as the #6 and #10. McTominay or Matic the physical, defensive presence between the 2 players. Garner completing the depth as a 6th midfield option. Gives options on the bench, enough creativity in the starting 11 and competition for places to cover for injuries.

Front 3 has a set starting 3 with Rashford, Sancho and Martial. Any injury and Greenwood comes in, or we start Grealish on the left and shuffle the other 2 around. Or rotate James on either wing. Target man striker like Giroud (as example) would be fine to have on the bench, but we just need to find someone reasonable and it isnt a desperate thing. Between Martial, Rashford (now with additional wing options so we can rotate him up top) and Greenwood a year older, we'll be ok IMO. Between Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Greenwood, there's more than enough goals in our main 4 attackers (plus with Bruno in midfield).

So really.. 2 signings would be good, provided they are the right ones. The 3rd would be a backup/bench striker, which Greenwood basically is (but a year older). Regardless of manager. Emergence of a few players like Fred this season really helps the squad building, but bringing in someone like Sancho and Grealish and then giving it half a season to see where we're at would be good.
I’d be very surprised if we spent £50MM on Grealish and then didn’t have him as a nailed on starter.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I’d be very surprised if we spent £50MM on Grealish and then didn’t have him as a nailed on starter.
We spent 50m on Bruno, 50m on Fred, Grealish should be around that price too. He'd probably make himself a starter as would Bruno IMO, but that's not the point!

Bestietom

Sancho, Maddison, CB, Mousa Dembele,
These 4 will be main targets. Don't know if we will get them all in next summer. A CB will be someone most likely from the Premiership.

Hawks2008

Assuming we somehow pinch CL

DM - Denis Zakaria
RW - Sancho
ST - Jiminez
LB - Tagliafico

If we have anything leftover try bring in Grealish but another attacking midfielder shouldn't be a priority.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I know people think highly of Dembele, but he is still a project and I'm unsure if his ceiling is much higher than his current level. He is on a good run of form right now but he has been very very poor in the CL. I would only grab him if the price is low. Otherwise we should look elsewhere

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

If we literally only bought Grealish I would be ok. If we somehow bought Grealish and Sancho and no one else I would be ecstatic. If we bought those two, a striker, DM and CB I would lose my marbles

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Grealish - wants to come to us
Maddison - wants to come to us
Sancho

Striker. Not sure who.

That would be a good window.
That would be an amazing window even without the striker

Don't even need a striker imo, between Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Fernandes and the 3 you mentioned there's loads of goals in that side

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
That would be an amazing window even without the striker

Don't even need a striker imo, between Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Fernandes and the 3 you mentioned there's loads of goals in that side
Understand where you are coming from.
Bruno is similar to Scholes but I have always believed we need 4 strikers. We saw what happened when Rashford got injured.

sp_107

I think this window is good to fix midfield as we have a pool of talent to pick from
Saul/Partey/Zakaria/Neves/Soumare & Grealish/Maddision/VanBeek/

I am worried about RW and Striker as it doesnt look like we have too many good options.

What is our options other than Sancho for RW and a striker option other than Jovic and Werner? (somehow Lyon Dembele looks like an underwhelming signing for me)

SparkedIntoLife

I'm gonna guess that this is over the next 3 transfer windows/2 summers -

Summer 2020
Dennis Zakaria (CM) = 50M, Jack Grealish (AM/CM/LW) = 70M, Jadon Sancho (RW/LW) = 120M (Totalling 240M, part funded by sales of Pogba at 100M, Lingard at 30M, Smalling at 20M, Sanchez on a free and Jones for 10M)
Summer 2021
Erling Haaland (ST) = 63M release clause, Ibrahima Konate (CD) = 50M, Bukayo Saka (LB/LW) = 7M tribunal costs as contract expiring (Totalling 120M, part funded by sales of Bailly at 15M, Pereira at 15M, Dalot at 10M, Shaw at 20M with Matic and Mata leaving on frees)

Manchester United 2021/2022 (first 11 in bold, second 11 underlined, ages as of 1st September 2021)
GK: De Gea (30), Henderson (24), Kovar (21)
RB: Wan-Bissaka (23), Laird (20)
LB: Saka (19), Williams (20), Devine (19)
CD: Maguire (28), Konate (22), Tuanzebe (23), Lindelöf (27), Mengi (19)
CM: Zakaria (24), McTominay (24), Fred (28), Mejbri (18), Garner (20)
AM: Fernandes (26), Grealish (25), Gomes (21)
RW: Sancho (21), Greenwood (19), Elanga (19)
LW: Rashford (23), James (23)
ST: Haaland (21), Martial (25)

macheda14

I'm gonna guess that this is over the next 3 transfer windows/2 summers -

Summer 2020
Dennis Zakaria (CM) = 50M, Jack Grealish (AM/CM/LW) = 70M, Jadon Sancho (RW/LW) = 120M (Totalling 240M, part funded by sales of Pogba at 100M, Lingard at 30M, Smalling at 20M, Sanchez on a free and Jones for 10M)
Summer 2021
Erling Haaland (ST) = 63M release clause, Ibrahima Konate (CD) = 50M, Bukayo Saka (LB/LW) = 7M tribunal costs as contract expiring (Totalling 120M, part funded by sales of Bailly at 15M, Pereira at 15M, Dalot at 10M, Shaw at 20M with Matic and Mata leaving on frees)

Manchester United 2021/2022 (first 11 in bold, second 11 underlined, ages as of 1st September 2021)
GK: De Gea (30), Henderson (24), Kovar (21)
RB: Wan-Bissaka (23), Laird (20)
LB: Saka (19), Williams (20), Devine (19)
CD: Maguire (28), Konate (22), Tuanzebe (23), Lindelöf (27), Mengi (19)
CM: Zakaria (24), McTominay (24), Fred (28), Mejbri (18), Garner (20)
AM: Fernandes (26), Grealish (25), Gomes (21)
RW: Sancho (21), Greenwood (19), Elanga (19)
LW: Rashford (23), James (23)
ST: Haaland (21), Martial (25)
If this happened it would be amazing, but I’d say we’d be lucky to get 2/3 of those players. Grealish is the only one I’d bank on.

elánius

Well it will be Pochettino and three of his people, Graelish because Aston Villa is going down and Milinkovic Savič for 100 mil. pounds. :-)

Last edited:

Cathy Ferguson

I think this window is good to fix midfield as we have a pool of talent to pick from
Saul/Partey/Zakaria/Neves/Soumare & Grealish/Maddision/VanBeek/

I am worried about RW and Striker as it doesnt look like we have too many good options.

What is our options other than Sancho for RW and a striker option other than Jovic and Werner? (somehow Lyon Dembele looks like an underwhelming signing for me)
I keep asking myself that question, if not Sancho for RW then who?

RW, CM, and striker should be our main positions to strengthen.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We won't sign six players or even close in the summer imo. It'll be more like two. A big creative signing like Sancho, Grealish or Maddison and a squad player. We're more likely to sell six.
I reckon it's 4 including Bruno from January (Sancho, Grealish, Maddison perhaps).

croadyman

I reckon it's 4 including Bruno from January (Sancho, Grealish, Maddison perhaps).
Fairly confident we will only sign one of Grealish/Maddison & Sancho (champions league permitting).

I still believe the striker position is up in the air and could see us waiting another year for a DM/CM.

I can understand the need for a better CB partner for Maguire,however this is lower priority than RW,DM/CM & AM.

Last edited:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Fairly confident we will only sign one of Grealish/Maddison & Sancho (champions league permitting).

I still believe the striker position is up in the air and could see us waiting another year for a DM/CM.

I can understand the need for a better CB partner for Maguire,however this is lower priority than RW,DM/CM & AM.
If we wait on DM then we will be saying the same next year that there is no support from Midfield. You need to win Midfield battles to win games. Otherwise results will be inconsistent like it has been this season for us

croadyman

If we wait on DM then we will be saying the same next year that there is no support from Midfield. You need to win Midfield battles to win games. Otherwise results will be inconsistent like it has been this season for us
I completely agree with you but my gut feeling is that Ole thinks Matic,McTominay & Fred can cover that DM area which is worrying.

Xeno

Let’s pretend we are in that hypothetical world where we sign the top choice for a position or wait...

Was Bruno #1? As Pogba replacement or something else?

Clearly Maddison/Grealish are in consideration as an or, not an and. Non-fussed which one, both upgrades so not wedded to either. Grealish considerably cheaper?

Sancho I hope (briefings) is target #1 RW, so if he decides elsewhere do we wait or look at something inferior? Could be the spark we need, surely Woodward is keen...

If we do get Sancho and an AM, I still think we need a CF, Ighalo dependant.

Content to see McT/Fred/Matic/Per/Pog?/Garner as the pivot for a season, it’s not the most pressing.