Gaming Skater XL (XB1, PS4, Switch and PC)

Bojan11

Looks to be first decent skateboard game since Skate 3. Anyone played the preview on PC?

It is out on consoles tomorrow.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Looks a bit soulless but it also looks like it could scratch the exact itch I have for a skateboarding game.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
As stupid as this sounds, I think Spotify (and it's predecessors) has helped kill genres like skate and to a lesser extent reaching and even old school GTA.

In the old days a great sound track enhanced the game greatly (Some FIFAs, GTA Vice City and to a lesser extent SA, THPS 1-3)

These days, the soundtrack is pretty much an afterthought and that diminishes the game

Zen

I don't even remember the THPS music really.... they were just bangers of games for a couple years. Possibly of their time though, I'll let you know when I try the remaster. Like I randomly remember enjoying Dave Mirra's game too... as I said, of it's time surely? TH just had the hype to ride the wave a bit longer.

Skate series were for the purists.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't even remember the THPS music really.... they were just bangers of games for a couple years. Possibly of their time though, I'll let you know when I try the remaster. Like I randomly remember enjoying Dave Mirra's game too... as I said, of it's time surely? TH just had the hype to ride the wave a bit longer.

Skate series were for the purists.
Dave Mirra game was good fun! Looks awful now.

Matt Hoffman still looks pretty good! Passenger was a mega addition.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So you’re just skating in an empty city? Is there any traffic or other forms of life

evil_geko

They focused first and foremost on making an actual complex and interesting skating gameplay mechanics, everything else can be added later if needed. There is always EA and upcoming Skate 4 for people that care more about presentation before gameplay.

Bojan11

They focused first and foremost on making an actual complex and interesting skating gameplay mechanics, everything else can be added later if needed. There is always EA and upcoming Skate 4 for people that care more about presentation before gameplay.
Upcoming? That’s years away!

I mean even at the EA conference they had a guy just announce it’s happening without any sort of trailer.

evil_geko

Upcoming? That’s years away!

I mean even at the EA conference they had a guy just announce it’s happening without any sort of trailer.
And they announced it probably because of the hype about Skater XL and THPS remasters. How they went quick from "we don't have any plans for future Skate games" to "Skate 4 is coming!". Fecking EA.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I care for both. I would just find a lifeless city pretty soulless. Skating around avoiding pedestrians or cars seems fun to me

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The mechanics look pretty good, but I don't like the idea of not being able to get off your board and walk. That was a major flaw in Skate 1. It was too easy to get stuck on terrain you can't skate, nor could you go up a set of steps. Skate 2 and 3 were an improvement in that respect.

I agree that it looks a bit soulless though. Kind of like the first two THPS in that the setting felt completely empty (though that was offset somewhat by arcade-button-bashing fun rather than being a skate sim). Those games are 20 years old though, in their defence.

I'd be keen to see how they continue to flesh this game out, but everything I've seen of it so far, it looks a little bland.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Is the entire game just free skate? I haven’t seen any mention of a story or missions or anything. The mechanics look cool but free skate is boring.
Maybe they wanted to go for a Steep feel, but that relied on great visuals, a nice vibe and a community aspect. Don't think they nailed that community side either.

Bojan11

Any form of multiplayer?
Not at the moment. It’s just free mode right now, which I feel with Tony Hawks coming out next month or so it’s steep for the price. Even though they charging £35, Hawks will cost £5 more and include two games.

The game looks good, but it’s pretty much barebones in terms of content.