Sky Sports cancels Sunday Supplement

cyberman

I am 40 and when I was in me early 20s and it was new and fresh it was great - its just old now - and the same old pros from the 70s and 80s are just old and boring

I mean Charlie FIcking Nicholas for feck sake -
Doesnt help when theyre talking about last weekends stories 7 days later. That doesnt work in 2020 when news moves so fast

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Good. When did journos suddenly become worth listening to anyway? Their arrogance has never made sense to me
Think when it first started the journos still had a good relationship with the players, they were more interested in reporting the actual football. The new ones are more interested in scandal.

cyberman

Think when it first started the journos still had a good relationship with the players, they were more interested in reporting the actual football. The new ones are more interested in scandal.
Its not even that. Its when theyre giving their analysis of the game as if going to Uni to become a journo enhances their footballing knowledge.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion but theyre using these views when hounding actual talented people within the game.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Its not even that. Its when theyre giving their analysis of the game as if going to Uni to become a journo enhances their footballing knowledge.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion but theyre using these views when hounding actual talented people within the game.
That's why I prefer the old time journalists. A lot came from the school of hard knocks. The managers and players trusted them. I wouldn't trust some of this lot.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Seemed like you could only get on the show if you were an utter hack, rather than either being a journalist who vetted their sources or were actually capable of providing genuine insight. Never seen the appeal of the show.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thank feck. Terrible show. A bunch of journalists thinking how important they are. Why did anyone even watch that?

Lentwood

There’s room for a thinking man’s football show but the guests they rolled out week in week out know even less about football than your average pundit, which makes the whole concept worthless

Robertd0803

Was entertaining during the times our rivals would be having massive issues but the world has moved on from print media and the advent of social media and minute by minute updates on twitter has removed the aura around journalists.

Cancel Soccer AM next, a program that should have been binned years ago.

Djemba-Djemba

Soccer Saturday badly needs an overhaul.

The panel are all well past their sell by date now, I mean fecking hell some of them were playing when it was 2 points for a win.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Can't say I've watched even a minute of this. If I want to listen to journalists I actually like talk about football I'll listen to Football Weekly.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Can Soccer AM, and replace it with an extended showboat section - which was the only part of it worth watching anyway.

Jericho

Wow, I'm surprised by the unanimous hate for the show. I liked it pre-Covid. I'm put off any show using skype now.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can Soccer AM, and replace it with an extended showboat section - which was the only part of it worth watching anyway.
Third eyes were usually decent too. I used to like it when I was a kid, but it was only the last hour that was worth watching really.

SteveW

The show should have been good but they never got anyone of any real insight on there. Just big name hacks.

SteveW

Not sure if it was always crap but when it was Lovejoy/Chamberlain I thought it was excellent. Still was OK with Chamberlain but didn't watch it as much and the latest iteration is just terrible.
Same. Lovejoy and Chamberlain were great together. It was fun. Admittedly I was very young at the time.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The people asking for soccer Saturday and soccer am to be binned next ‘please’ and happy that Sunday supplement has gone, Do you think they’ll be replaced with anything better? What’s the point in wanting them off so badly, just don’t watch it if you don’t like it :lol:

Decomposing In Paris

I’d quite enjoy a show with managers discussing the game... or recently available managers. I’d love to hear Sir Alex, Mourinho, Wenger, & Van Gaal, sitting down to discuss the week’s games. I appreciate there’s no way you get those 4, but I’d still be very happy with Howe, Pearson, Flores, & Silva.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The people asking for soccer Saturday and soccer am to be binned next ‘please’ and happy that Sunday supplement has gone, Do you think they’ll be replaced with anything better? What’s the point in wanting them off so badly, just don’t watch it if you don’t like it :lol:
When you pay so much for the subscription you are entitled to expect better programming.

Judas

Open to offers
Stopped watching this about 15 years ago. Haven't watched Soccer Saturday in many many years either, the BT version is far better. Same thing but with far better pundits and doesn't feel anywhere near as stale and like I'm watching ignorant old blokes down a pub shouting at tvs.

Oggmonster

I've not seen Sunday supplement in years properly but it pretty much runs the narrative on stuff like SSN for Sunday and Monday. I dont think soccer Saturday should be cancelled as they wouldn't run anything different in that slot but it does need revamping the guests are the same thing every week.

Sunday Supplement suffered from better podcasts being available and also I think Twitter did them, the journalists think they are part of the story now and it really exposes the worst of them (Ollie Holt is unbareable for example.) Cant say its surprising people don't particularly care what they think and it may be a reality check for some of them that they need tk change.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Hearing Neil Custis full of his own self importance, talking about LVG as if he wasn’t worthy of his time....no thanks.

That show created a lot of egos in journalists.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
But did they ever get to the bottom of why Lampard and Gerrard couldn't play together? I hate when shows get cancelled before they wrap up their big mysteries.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
When you pay so much for the subscription you are entitled to expect better programming.
I don’t disagree with that.
Programmes being cancelled and not replaced is hardly better programming though

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I've not seen Sunday supplement in years properly but it pretty much runs the narrative on stuff like SSN for Sunday and Monday. I dont think soccer Saturday should be cancelled as they wouldn't run anything different in that slot but it does need revamping the guests are the same thing every week.

Sunday Supplement suffered from better podcasts being available and also I think Twitter did them, the journalists think they are part of the story now and it really exposes the worst of them (Ollie Holt is unbareable for example.) Cant say its surprising people don't particularly care what they think and it may be a reality check for some of them that they need tk change.
I agree with revamping soccer Saturday, when I’m home on a Saturday I’d put the BT version on these days,

I was just surprised at people pleased things are cancelled and hoping other shows get stopped too. Programmes very rarely get replaced these days, they’ll probably just play some Nevilles soccer box or prem greats for hour or two instead now

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Used to watch this and Soccer Saturday 15 or 20 years ago and was great.

Times and technology have moved on though. Personally think Skys coverage has got continually worse over last 10 years or so and the price has doubled with BT now as well.

Total revamp of how football in the UK is shown needed. Ironically other countries now have much better coverage of the premier League than the UK does.

GJNJ

Funny really, the Sunday supplement and Soccer Am are entertaining the opposite ends of the spectrum and failing at both. The Sunday supplement alway felted arrogant and pompous, journalists airing their opinion as though is a fact with no recompense when it invariably got it wrong. Soccer am is orchestrated laddishness rehashing the same jokes each week, hard to believe that it used to 4 hours long and now is 90 minutes.

Matt007a

I think it was a good show years ago, when we didn't have access to all the information online. Journalists were worth listening to because they could offer insight into things we didn't know. Now with Twitter, everyone is as informed as the guests they have on so they've got no wisdom to share.

Added to the fact that some of those guys were so up themselves it's painful to watch.

Soccer Saturday definitely needs an overhaul. I've got no problem with Jeff continuing to host, but the panel are awful. They've done a great job with their pundits, using players who are recently out of the game, like Neville, Carragher and Henry for example. Then a lot of the guests are former players who played in the last 5-10 years. The Debate is also good for that.

Some of those people should be on the Soccer Saturday panel.

Oggmonster

I agree with revamping soccer Saturday, when I’m home on a Saturday I’d put the BT version on these days,

I was just surprised at people pleased things are cancelled and hoping other shows get stopped too. Programmes very rarely get replaced these days, they’ll probably just play some Nevilles soccer box or prem greats for hour or two instead now
In fairness id argue leaving Sunday supplement or soccer am on is no different. They've been the same show doing the same thing for years. Same topics, same opinions and its all pointless cos none of them change their mind. Its one of the most obnoxious shows I've ever seen i think.

Soccer AM is a ridiculously dated format and its been shite since Lovejoy left, even he got somewhat lucky "lad culture " was big back then cos he's painful on that Channel 4 show he does now.

I dunno what Sky will replace it with but you'd think they have something in mind it is their jobs. I think even their format is dated though and they will have to adapt something with the premier league to still be relevant its inevitable they will do their own network one day and Sky will be done once that happens.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
In fairness id argue leaving Sunday supplement or soccer am on is no different. They've been the same show doing the same thing for years. Same topics, same opinions and its all pointless cos none of them change their mind. Its one of the most obnoxious shows I've ever seen i think.

Soccer AM is a ridiculously dated format and its been shite since Lovejoy left, even he got somewhat lucky "lad culture " was big back then cos he's painful on that Channel 4 show he does now.

I dunno what Sky will replace it with but you'd think they have something in mind it is their jobs. I think even their format is dated though and they will have to adapt something with the premier league to still be relevant its inevitable they will do their own network one day and Sky will be done once that happens.
Agree with all that really, I did think that theyre no better than repeats aswell but I was already committed :lol:

Superunknown

I was a Gazetta man (well kid) back in the day, no other football program came anywhere close to it.
Completely agree with this. Gazzetta taught me so much about Italian football and it made me appreciate how the game was approached on the continent. The production style of it was simple enough, but it was informative and you felt like you actually learned something by watching it.

My childhood is James Richardson sitting in front of a delicious Italian dessert talking about football.

Offsideagain

Sunday Supplement turned into a Man City love in with headband Oliver Holt and Curtis loving Mancini. Not watched it for a couple of years or Soccer Saturday is it with the shouty bloke with Phil the nose and Matt le Tiss pontificating. Now we have Micah (Etihad) Richards popping up everywhere and I swear he gets a tenner every time he mentions Etihad.