Sky Sports loses rights to La Liga

fretless

I subscribe to Eleven Sports to get Premier League. It’s horrible. The matches are often joined in progress or not even shown. Local sporting competitions are given priority. Tuning in to watch an important match only to find out that a live Table Tennis tournament is being broadcast instead is beyond frustrating.

Reactions: jojojo

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How the hell am I supposed to watch La Liga now? Sky showed every game. If City or Liverpool were on it gave me something else to watch. Problem they have is once Ronaldo and Messi are gone the product might not be as attractive. There are some good players, but not on the level of those two.
BET 365 have been showing La Liga last couple of years.

Little bit sad this for me as grew up watching La Liga on Sky in the late 90s. First match I ever watched was Tenerife 2-3 Barca from I think March 1999 and was hooked from that point.

Their coverage was much better in those days.

Problem Sky have is they need premier league for their business model to survive yet that means having to cut many attractive parts of their sporting portfolio so they're going to have little else besides that in a few years.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
These distribution rights are just crazy. When I lived in London in 2011, I had less games on offer than I would back in Norway. When I came back home, they also started to take away games on Saturday at 15:00. In the past, you could toggle between three games on Saturdays at 15 - but it was changed as English pubs started to show matches on foreign networks.

Give me one single argument for doing such a thing, I don’t understand it. Ok, smaller clubs might have less people at the games if the game is on TV, but what if let’s say United and Arsenal both play at home at three? Makes absolutely no sense. Wouldn’t be surprised if the decisions are made by people older than my dad.
I sort of understand these posts for people who just watch Football all day and want it all under one roof but my main conclusion from this is just go to a live game even if it's just your local non league club.

Mind you I'm one to speak. Bet 365 streams games from La Liga (and Segunda), Seria A + B, Bundesliga + 2, Portugese league, Dutch league, French league, MLS, Turkish league, all the South American leagues and also the Scandanvian leagues during the summer.

Ironcially the only Football I can't watch on there is any of the British leagues although they do show the FA cup games.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
So now us consumers will need yet ANOTHER subscription that will cost £20+. Sky, BT and now Eleven?

An absolute joke. Offcom need to do something about this.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
So now us consumers will need yet ANOTHER subscription that will cost £20+. Sky, BT and now Eleven?

An absolute joke. Offcom need to do something about this.
Is Eleven actually a proper TV channel or will it be streamed on the net?

Devil may care

Unless this channel is included in my current package it just means I wont be seeing La Liga next season.

nooshka

I sort of understand these posts for people who just watch Football all day and want it all under one roof but my main conclusion from this is just go to a live game even if it's just your local non league club.

Mind you I'm one to speak. Bet 365 streams games from La Liga (and Segunda), Seria A + B, Bundesliga + 2, Portugese league, Dutch league, French league, MLS, Turkish league, all the South American leagues and also the Scandanvian leagues during the summer.

Ironcially the only Football I can't watch on there is any of the British leagues although they do show the FA cup games.
Do BET365 stream every game from those leagues?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Do BET365 stream every game from those leagues?
Yep. They show all Spanish games (as they stagger their 10 fixtures across the weekend. Show all the Italy 2pm games on a Sunday aswell as the Saturday and Sunday night games and same with Bundesliga.

It's really good. Even if you hate gambling all you have to do is deposit 5 quid and you have whole viewing for 24 hours so you don't have to place anymore bets before the picture cuts out.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He'll probably be offered a pay increase to join this random channel and take over their Spanish punditry. I wonder what he'll choose.

MONEY OR SKY?
His day job is still a journalist for one of the Spanish sports papers isn't it?

I remember he was I think Don Balon's English football correspondent when he started on the coverage in the late 90s and that obviously got him work on Sky Sports news and other outlets.

He also does documentaries for Talksport. Did one with Gary Neville a while back.

I haven't watch La Liga on Sky in ages but if they aren't even having a studio panel for most games now and same on the review show them losing it probably won't harm his career over here at all.

Bobski

Loved watching Spanish football on sky back in the days when Villareal, Deportiva, Mallorca and Valencia were all capable of giving the big 2 a chasing. Watching Forlan and Riquleme or Valeron and Tristan, Baraja and Vincente carve them up was highly satisfying. Barca and Real smashing points and goals records in recent years gets a bit stale.

saivet

I don't watch much of La Liga, but will watch the odd Barca or Madrid match. I'm lucky that my parents pay for it, but if I was, I'd probably just cancel Sky Sports now and just pay for BT.

I also watch a fair bit of tennis and they recently lost out on rights for the US Open and they won't cover the ATP tour from next year.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't watch much of La Liga, but will watch the odd Barca or Madrid match. I'm lucky that my parents pay for it, but if I was, I'd probably just cancel Sky Sports now and just pay for BT.

I also watch a fair bit of tennis and they recently lost out on rights for the US Open and they won't cover the ATP tour from next year.
Guess which Betting site shows pretty much the whole of the ATP tour....:lol:

saivet

Guess which Betting site shows pretty much the whole of the ATP tour....:lol:
I'll probably subscribe to Amazon Prime next year for it.

You can't watch Bet365 on the tv and no commentary, I assume.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Makes no difference to us shrewdies that pay £10 a month for IPTV and get the full shebang.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'll probably subscribe to Amazon Prime next year for it.

You can't watch Bet365 on the tv and no commentary, I assume.
I just use the website, small screen in the corner. Can be a little hard seeing if the ball has gone out or not but can't really complain. You do get commentary for the grand slam events.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Getting ridiculous now and Sky are taking the piss. Everytime they lose out on more rights I get letter from Virgin in the Autumn that says 'Your subscription is changing'. You just know the subscription has gone up rather than come down. They even charge you more to watch their channels in HD which I'm not doing.

haram

You can open a bet365 account and watch La Liga football on there.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
It's an absolute joke, in America and Canada it cost $49.99 for 250 Premier League matches for the 2017-18 season, which includes all of the 3pm KO's.

It's a topic for another thread (I can't seem to make a new one) but I think its about time Saturday's 3pm KO matches are shown on TV. The argument that it would stop fans attending matches just doesn't wash with me in this current day and age, especially for clubs like united who would fill the stadium regardless.

Fans are literally being made to pay through the nose and the costs keep on rising whilst we get less and less football for our money and more sh*te like 'the Debate' show or whatever it is called with its hyperbolic debate topics. We are literally paying Craig Bellamy's wages to sit there and discuss football at the expense of watching live matches.

Back to my original point, it is a joke how much spectators get in the America's for a fraction of the cost, something needs to change.

EDIT: NBC cable subscribers get every single live premier league game, whereas subscribers to both Sky Sports and BT Sports get just over half the amount of games.
Is this NBC online package?

Because the TSN and sportsnet packages show all games but coat over 100 dollars a month if you want all channels.

Which is why I stream with iptv. Sick of being ripped off.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I wanted to meant sports leagues from other countries, sorry. Not clear enough. Will edit my post. :)
IPL is popular in the UK, international events like PGA and boxing will pick up a lot of viewings too. There's not much of an incentive to watch foriegn footballs when we have 2 incredibly competitive and exciting leagues here.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
About a week ago Sky and BT were said to have bid around €5m each when La Liga were hoping for around €25m.
https://advanced-television.com/2018/04/23/la-liga-struggling-to-sell-tv-rights/

Been trying to find viewing figures out of curiosity but it's surprisingly hard to do. There's something called BARB that has figures but they don't give everything out unless you're a member/involved in the industry from what I can see. Some bloke on a forum who says figures are from there reckons Real v Barca can get 700k, some other games involving one of them get 100k and for most matches in general it's between 20-75k.

If true more people watch the Championship than La Liga outside of that Real v Barca fixture by a considerable margin.

These are the Scottish football viewing figures
, and every Rangers and Celtic match would be competitive with or beat the non El Classico Barca and Real fixtures. Got them from this blog. Less SPL games are shown, but they're not exactly coining it in - £15m a year. I'm not in the industry but I'd imagine it makes a difference to advertisers whether fans of the actual teams playing are watching or casual observers. It's probably easier to sell something to a Hearts fan watching a Hearts game than a Everton fan watching Villareal vs Getafe, more emotional investment.

Premier League ratings were down the other year, if they still are then I imagine there's a general slump across all leagues. I'd guess a large chunk of that will/would have been Kodi and other streams.
Ratings are down because United ain't winning.

Lj82

To watch the EPL, the local broadcaster in Singapore charges SGD$64.90 per month, which amounts to roughly 35 pounds. It's a rip off. I cancelled my subscription years ago and had to find other means to watch the games.

When I was in China, they offered a package that allows you to watch all the matches of the club you support at a relatively cheap price. I would be opened to such a plan if they offer it in Singapore. Work and family commitments dictate that I don't have time to watch other matches that does not involve UTD.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Ok, smaller clubs might have less people at the games if the game is on TV...
I would doubt this. I'm sort of a Grimsby fan (I used to have a season ticket when I was younger, I don't care about them any more, but I still sort of follow their results) and our gates have remained pretty much completely consistent over the last 20 years. We tend to get about 4-5,000, and then 8,000 for a big game (I use the term 'big' loosely). That was the case in all divisions from what is now the Championship, which we were in when I was a teenager, to the Conference, sorry 'National League', which we were in for several years recently.

People who go to watch these teams are diehard supporters, and / or they want a bit of space from their families for a while. If they haven't found anything better to do in the diverse entertainment climate that exists today (God knows, I have) then I highly doubt one extra football match on TV will make any difference.

Judas

Open to offers
Smart by Sky. I don't think there is anywhere near the hunger for La Liga as there was a few years back. It'll be even less when Ronaldo and Messi leave the scene.

Castia

Smart by Sky. I don't think there is anywhere near the hunger for La Liga as there was a few years back. It'll be even less when Ronaldo and Messi leave the scene.

How can losing content be smart? They’ve had Spanish football longer than I can remember, well before Messi and Ronaldo were even on the scene. The rights cost them like £5m which in the grand scheme of things is a drop in the ocean, it’s a blow for themselves and us the customer there’s no doubt about that.

Judas

Open to offers
Saves money for content that people actually want to watch? The viewing figures must be bang average for them not to shell out such a tiny fee.

Honestly the sooner an Amazon type establishment comes in and takes everything away from them the better.

PieCrust

Is this NBC online package?

Because the TSN and sportsnet packages show all games but coat over 100 dollars a month if you want all channels.

Which is why I stream with iptv. Sick of being ripped off.
The $50 is extra this season, in addition to the requirement of having a cable/satilliete sports package that includes NBCSN to begin with. They call it the gold package or some nonsense. So basically, it used to be that if you had a cable subscription to NBCSN, you could also stream every single PL match online, since even across the varying NBC networks, they didn't show all matches on TV, especially the smaller market teams didn't get much air time on the cable package.

Now they gated 250 matches behind the additional $50 pay wall for the streaming portion. I'm sure next year the price will either go up or more matches will be gated as time goes by. They didn't gate many big matches this year, I think for example only 1 United match, but again, I'm sure in an effort to make the almighty dollar, more high profile matches will begin to be put behind the paywall. This was more likely just a trial run this year and to get the consumer used to paying more for no additional content than they previously had.

In case it wasn't clear, you cannot just buy an online package with NBCSN. They require a cable subscription in order to access their streaming content.

Last edited:

Castia

Saves money for content that people actually want to watch? The viewing figures must be bang average for them not to shell out such a tiny fee.

Honestly the sooner an Amazon type establishment comes in and takes everything away from them the better.
They don’t seem to add anything though, in recent years all they’ve done is lose content (Prem League, Champions League, La Liga) whilst rising subscription costs. BT seem to be taking boxing more seriously, they’ll lost that next.