Sky Sports loses rights to La Liga

RoyH1

La Liga is having problems with it's TV rights in other markets too. Their problem is that despite the quality of football on offer, no one really cares unless it's the big 2 (sometimes 3 when Atletico is on fire) playing.

Barsa and Madrid should see that it is in their interests to enable the lower level clubs to have larger earnings in order to make the league more competitive.

Trizy

La Liga is having problems with it's TV rights in other markets too. Their problem is that despite the quality of football on offer, no one really cares unless it's the big 2 (sometimes 3 when Atletico is on fire) playing.

Barsa and Madrid should see that it is in their interests to enable the lower level clubs to have larger earnings in order to make the league more competitive.
They won't though. Those two will be happy in their 2 horse race, picking the top talents from their league and bringing in new players from Europe on their inflated budget. All in the hope of winning the CL.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Don't think it's the UK thing. Nobody watches La Liga where I live, sans El Clasico that is. Even Barca/Madrid fans only talk about EPL all the time, can't be arsed to watch their own league.
It has a fair share of good games. now that Marcelino is at Valencia, the quality improves. He always puts his teams playing nice football.
I think this season people will see it more to check how will Real handle Ronaldo's exit.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Last season it was very similar to the Premier League. Barcelona running away with the title and then a group of clubs below all at a more similar level. I suppose you could say the EPL has a competitive top 6, and bottom 14 whilst in La Liga it's more a top 3 (or 4 if Valencia are in form) and the rest of the league are similar in standard.

The main issue La Liga has is a lack of marketing / branding / hype outside of the big clubs. The actual technical standard of the football is the best in Europe, the entertainment factor is at least equal to the premier league in my opinion. There were some great games last season e.g Levante 5–4 Barcelona, Seville 3-5 Betis, Betis 3-5 R Madrid, Betis 3 Valencia 6.

I probably watch about the same amount of La Liga games as I do EPL ones.

Reactions: van der star

GledTheRed

Sky are a joke, losing champions league and Premier league games yet the prices remain the same / go up. Glad I cancelled my subscription the cheeky cnuts.

Coxy

Sky are a joke, losing champions league and Premier league games yet the prices remain the same / go up. Glad I cancelled my subscription the cheeky cnuts.
It’s because they can get away with it - idiots don’t make a stand and cancel

stubie

Can't they just put on ITV or Channel 5
ITV are virtually finished with football now. Sad really when you consider they had the following going into the 2001/02 season.

Premier League highlights
Exclusive Champions League
Exclusive Football League
League Cup
World Cup
South American Football

ITV are virtually finished with football now. Sad really when you consider they had the following going into the 2001/02 season.

Premier League highlights
Exclusive Champions League
Exclusive Football League
League Cup
World Cup
South American Football
Oh wow, I remember when they had Champions League I enjoyed their coverage.
I wonder where they went wrong.

Bojan11

BT are losing Italian, French, UFC and NBA.

Both companies are a joke.

Another sub people have to pay for. Sky are losing the tennis too next year so people have to subscribe to Amazon.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
BT are losing Italian, French, UFC and NBA.

Both companies are a joke.

Another sub people have to pay for. Sky are losing the tennis too next year so people have to subscribe to Amazon.
feck sake.

Not that I have BT or Sky Sports anymore :lol:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
On a related note I have a now TV sky subscription which I use on my smart TV , what is the cheapest way to get BT sport for my smart TV ?

Bojan11

On a related note I have a now TV sky subscription which I use on my smart TV , what is the cheapest way to get BT sport for my smart TV ?
You can’t. App is only for mobile, Tablet or computer use.

They don’t want you watching it through a TV as they rather you subscribe to them through that route too. As a lot of their customers get BT sports through their broadband or EE deals.

Jam

Looking at £70ish for an annual pass for La Liga/Serie A/Boxing/UFC/Golf in the UK?

Hmm, they have my curiosity. If they provide on-demand, as well as highlight shows then I might be on board.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
You can’t. App is only for mobile, Tablet or computer use.

They don’t want you watching it through a TV as they rather you subscribe to them through that route too. As a lot of their customers get BT sports through their broadband or EE deals.
Damn I was wondering why I couldn't find anything on the site . How much would the cheapest TV subscription with BT cost ?

SSSSnake

I am paying £240 a year for Sky Sports at a reduced rate for 3 years, plus £3.50 a month for 12 months for MUTV and £96 a year for BT. I don't have HD so my package isn't as bad as most on here. That's £378 a year. :mad:
What do they get for that?
OMG you living in the stone ages with no HD!???

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
OMG you living in the stone ages with no HD!???
Suppose if you don't have it you don't miss it. I am just getting tired of the prices going up and up and the product get less and less. I love watching the other leagues so BT and Sky losing two of them is infuriating. I will watch any football. Also I hate watching games on my laptop. I have a tv to watch football, so am annoyed if I can't do that.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Strange but I moved to the UK last year and I am finding that I am watching less and less football now . Just hard to get all the football here as compared to India. I enjoy American sports much more now , NFL is all on sky only and I also get easy illegal streams for American sports

SSSSnake

Suppose if you don't have it you don't miss it. I am just getting tired of the prices going up and up and the product get less and less. I love watching the other leagues so BT and Sky losing two of them is infuriating. I will watch any football. Also I hate watching games on my laptop. I have a tv to watch football, so am annoyed if I can't do that.
No I get you totally. I'm just very fussy with HD/4K viewing when it's available. Looks great on match days. I managed to get quite a decent sky package this year basically paying £54 for everything minus kids programmes. This also includes Sky Q and Sky Q box in the bedroom. I'm sure I could have got them down further if I went through the cancellation but couldn't be assed.

What is everyone else paying for Sky??

DomesticTadpole

No I get you totally. I'm just very fussy with HD/4K viewing when it's available. Looks great on match days. I managed to get quite a decent sky package this year basically paying £54 for everything minus kids programmes. This also includes Sky Q and Sky Q box in the bedroom. I'm sure I could have got them down further if I went through the cancellation but couldn't be assed.

How do people get these deals? I am going to have to get a negotiator in for me.:lol:

cyberman

90 euro for everything plus the kids shows with 2 Q boxes, all without a contract so I can wait 6 months, threaten cancelation again and get it even cheaper

El Zoido

How do people get these deals? I am going to have to get a negotiator in for me.:lol:
I managed to get £20 knocked off my BT bill, while also getting an internet speed upgrade, BT sport HD, and the movie channels.

I called them up and told them to cancel all but the basic TV package, and they just started throwing free things at me. If they think you’re at risk as a customer they’ll do whatever they can to keep you.

SSSSnake

Just say you want to cancel when your contract is up mate. I went through to the cancellations teams and they knocked 40% instantly. But generally when you put your cancellation notice in you can sometimes get 50% if your lucky.

90 euro for everything plus the kids shows with 2 Q boxes, all without a contract so I can wait 6 months, threaten cancelation again and get it even cheaper
I'd say that's expensive but great not to be under contract. I'm locked in for 24 months but quite happy with my price. I hate having to go through the cycle of threating to cancel every year!

RedFish

With the amount of football you watch tadpole, get a HDTV, you won't regret it. :)

DomesticTadpole

With the amount of football you watch tadpole, get a HDTV, you won't regret it. :)
I get HD on BBC and ITV so watched the World Cup in it. I reduced my package right down to put Sky Sports back on, so will have to see if any offers available.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
This is just a general problem in football. Most European leagues are completely uncompetitive now. PSG should walk the French league (when they didn't it was won by another oligarch-owned club), Bayern have won the Bundesliga every season since BT acquired the rights, ditto Juventus, who have won the last 7 Serie A titles, 4 consecutive trebles, and 18 of the last 21 Italian trophies.

Spain is more competitive than most because at least there are two big rivals and a third credible club. Usually three competitive clubs is the limit (and increasingly there are less than three). England is a unique case because for two reasons. Firstly, having the 92 league clubs means that there is a supporting culture all over the country, and this has resulted in lots of big clubs. Secondly, London is such a massive city that it can support three elite clubs, plus West Ham who are one of the biggest outside the top six. With Palace and Fulham also being in the top flight, nearly one-third of the clubs this season are based in London.

You don't get this in other major cities based in other European nations, there aren't six credible clubs in Munich or Milan or Madrid. London is generally a massive leach and drain on the entire country, but its sheer size and economic prominence does, arguably, have a positive impact on the PL.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
So it’s £50 for an annual pass in the UK or £5.99 a month.

That’s awesome value I think.

Along with Now TV offering a year of Sky Sports for £180 that’s my season sorted!

elnorte

Freaky fly day
So it’s £50 for an annual pass in the UK or £5.99 a month.

That’s awesome value I think.

Along with Now TV offering a year of Sky Sports for £180 that’s my season sorted!
I'm not seeing this Now TV offer. Do you have a link by any chance?