Sky Sports loses rights to La Liga

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
This is just a general problem in football. Most European leagues are completely uncompetitive now. PSG should walk the French league (when they didn't it was won by another oligarch-owned club), Bayern have won the Bundesliga every season since BT acquired the rights, ditto Juventus, who have won the last 7 Serie A titles, 4 consecutive trebles, and 18 of the last 21 Italian trophies.

Spain is more competitive than most because at least there are two big rivals and a third credible club. Usually three competitive clubs is the limit (and increasingly there are less than three). England is a unique case because for two reasons. Firstly, having the 92 league clubs means that there is a supporting culture all over the country, and this has resulted in lots of big clubs. Secondly, London is such a massive city that it can support three elite clubs, plus West Ham who are one of the biggest outside the top six. With Palace and Fulham also being in the top flight, nearly one-third of the clubs this season are based in London.

You don't get this in other major cities based in other European nations, there aren't six credible clubs in Munich or Milan or Madrid. London is generally a massive leach and drain on the entire country, but its sheer size and economic prominence does, arguably, have a positive impact on the PL.
? So if Manchester or Birmingham got more investment and became more attractive places to work and live, you don't think Birmingham, Bury, Macclesfield, Oldham, Walsall etc would do better? I love London but don't try and pretend the imbalance makes anything better in our league or our country. The (relatively) even distribution of the sizeable TV money and all action style are the reasons people watch the PL.

MiceOnMeth

That article said Eleven sport also have the Dutch Eredvisie. Is that another league lost by Sky? I mean it's not a major league but still.
At 80 euro a year it's really not bad value getting La Liga and Serie A I'm definitely tempted as I've no access to BT Sport here as I'm with Virgin(another ridiculous situation, the fans really get rammed by these greedy cnuts don't they :lol:)

ArjenIsM3

In The Netherlands I pay 15 euros a month to Ziggo Sport and in return I get a maximum of 5 PL games and 6 PD games a week. They only broadcast 1 PL game at a time, which means if United are playing one of the smaller teams there's a big chance I can't watch the only team I support and actually want to watch. Apart from that I also get CL coverage and Formula 1, and some sports like tennis and golf which I have no interest whatsoever in. I don't get the Eredivisie, Serie A, Europa League, etc.. For that I need to subscribe to Fox Sports. It's shite really. Used to be better because when Fox Sports had the rights to PL football they made sure there was always a way to watch the game you wanted. They would broadcast two or three PL games at the same time and if there were more being played they would put up livestreams for those games so you could still watch your team. Back then I could always watch United.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
One of the problems with sky is that you need the basic package before you can get sky sports, at least in ireland you do. It comes to about 800 a year in ireland because of this which is far too much. If you could only get sky sports with the basic package it would be about 400 to 500 a year, which is more affordable.

Then i have to pay for bt sports as well which is about 250 a year.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
BT and Sky losing coverage of a lot of the other major european leagues is going to make them very insular if they don't watch. Sky have the PL and EFL, an average Scottish League, the retirement league of MLS and Chinese League. They no longer have the F.A. Cup and any European competitions, no World Cup Tournament or European Championship Tournament football. Really the quality of product does not justify the cost. BT at least still have the European competitions in their favour, but are still rip off merchants who put their prices up far too much and far too often.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I’ve got rid of everything regard8ng tv packages. Got rid of my season ticket years ago, still get to the odd game now. If I want to watch a game now it’s either try and get a ticket or go to the pub. Last season I caught about 5 or 6 games, can’t say I missed a lot. I’d rather go walking these days than watch football. Sad but that’s how it is.

Javi

Can somebody explain how this TV right deals comply with EU anti-trust laws?

Imo there is some sort of conflict there because: 1. TV rights are sold to one party. 2. This party has exclusive rights. 3. exclusive rights mean the party can prevent anybody else to air the content. 4. the company therefore is in a dominant market position (no competition for said product) 5. anti-trust laws allow for the govt. to regulate prices etc.

Now normally I'd expect the govt. to set a fixed price with obligation to contract for competitors to also use the rights. That doesn't seem to be the case.

@Jippy you should know about this right?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Imo there is some sort of conflict there because: 1. TV rights are sold to one party. 2. This party has exclusive rights. 3. exclusive rights mean the party can prevent anybody else to air the content. 4. the company therefore is in a dominant market position (no competition for said product) 5. anti-trust laws allow for the govt. to regulate prices etc.

Now normally I'd expect the govt. to set a fixed price with obligation to contract for competitors to also use the rights. That doesn't seem to be the case.

I assume it's cos there is an open tender process so everyone can bid for the packages. Plus there is a cap on the percentage one party can own.

In that sense is the same as government putting train carriages tenders or shipbuilding contracts up on offer.

Davs

Ah this isn't good. I loved watching a cheeky La Liga game of an evening. Probably not going to bother going out of my way now to watch one via a stream unless it's the Classico.

Shame. :nono:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really bad for everybody all round really isn't it.

Sky won't shift their prices to compensate, we'll end up subscribing to ANOTHER channel for even more money.

BT sport is losing UFC, if they lost MotoGP I genuinely wouldn't bother with that either.

If it wasn't for my family I would just throw the whole lot in the bin and stream stuff I want to watch, they're all rip offs.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We need more to compete with Sky Sports. They are ripping us off.
I'd say that's what we DON'T need because when BT came along they took the CL and some PL games off sky and sky didn't lower their prices, they increased them because they then had to bid more for their rights. And after doing that they can't afford the likes of La Liga anymore so that's gone to another new provider. But that's ok right, sky will lower their price? Nope.

At least when sky didn't have competition they were still charging what they do now for much more content. Like it or not it was better for everyone when Sky basically had a monopoly. Any competition to them always leads to a loss of content and increased prices.

Bestietom

I'd say that's what we DON'T need because when BT came along they took the CL and some PL games off sky and sky didn't lower their prices, they increased them because they then had to bid more for their rights. And after doing that they can't afford the likes of La Liga anymore so that's gone to another new provider. But that's ok right, sky will lower their price? Nope.

At least when sky didn't have competition they were still charging what they do now for much more content. Like it or not it was better for everyone when Sky basically had a monopoly. Any competition to them always leads to a loss of content and increased prices.
Competition is good and we need someone to compete with Sky at a lower rate. The sky package that you must go for with them is ridiculous. You have to purchase channel which you don't ever look at like Cricket and formula 1 unless you like it.

You should have a choice of just Football Channels for a cheaper option.

Massive Spanner

Competition is good and we need someone to compete with Sky at a lower rate. The sky package that you must go for with them is ridiculous. You have to purchase channel which you don't ever look at like Cricket and formula 1 unless you like it.

It's clearly not good though because you still need Sky to watch the bulk of the PL and now you get less other content to watch and pay more. How is that good?

Now if a provider came along and took those PL rights off them and lowered the cost it would be good. But that won't happen. They'd probably charge even more.

OR if the PL opened up rights to multiple providers and they had to have a race to the bottom for sub costs. But that won't happen, because it's better for the PL to make companies bid against each other for exclusivity.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'd like to see the the PL end exclusivity for their packages. Ask for about 2/3s of what they would usually get and allow multiple companies to purchase the same packages. Sky and BT would still need to buy the bulk of them (they wouldn't survive without PL football) except they would now be competing directly with one another, meaning an inevitable price war.

Massive Spanner

I'd like to see the the PL end exclusivity for their packages. Ask for about 2/3s of what they would usually get and allow multiple companies to purchase the same packages. Sky and BT would still need to buy the bulk of them (they wouldn't survive without PL football) except they would now be competing directly with one another, meaning an inevitable price war.
Yeah I think that would be the only solution to this problem but I don't think it will ever happen unless the UK gov weigh in and tell them they have to allow open bidding, which also seems very unlikely.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah I think that would be the only solution to this problem but I don't think it will ever happen unless the UK gov weigh in and tell them they have to allow open bidding, which also seems very unlikely.
I wouldn't even bother with a bidding process. Set a fixed price and open it to everyone. It would force the broadcasters to focus on the quality of their programme and the competitiveness of their pricing, as opposed to simply having the better package.

owlo

They opened a case 15 years ago against the EPL over media rights. The PL made some concessions splitting up the packages and limiting tender terms etc, and it was codified 10 years or so ago. I don't think the commission will go there again anytime soon, despite the changing media landscape.

Reddevil1978

I pay talk talk around 75 pound a month. This includes line rental, unlimited calls, Internet a free sim card that my daughter uses.

I get most sky channels like Sky 1 and 2 Gold Comedy central I DON'T get Atlantic and movies. Included in the £75.00 are kids channels the usual free view channeks and Sky sports (deal at £8.50 a month) although only in standard definition.

My EE mobile contract gives me free BT sport. So when the football is on BT I put the game on the laptop and plug a hdmi cable into the TV and watch in HD.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Need a netflix style subscription. 30 a month for every match. Surely some entrepreneur is thinking about it. Feck, I may just do it myself.

clarkydaz

I threatened to quit BT last night due to their incoming price increases, got my BT Sport and Sky Sports both HD for around £60 a month

Son Of Sam

So for the British football fans.....
How much is it in total to watch BT, Sky, Eleven Sport, etc?

rotherham_red

I was halfway through typing exactly this. Competition in the conventional sense of the word doesn't exist in football broadcast rights because it's still essentially a monopoly.

But we know this won't happen because the rights wouldn't be anywhere near as desirable if other companies had them as well.

Camilo

The solution is to not pay for any of it. The money being spent and paid in the sport is disgusting, and it's us who are paying for it. feck 'em. It's not good enough to pay more than 20 quid a month for.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
? So if Manchester or Birmingham got more investment and became more attractive places to work and live, you don't think Birmingham, Bury, Macclesfield, Oldham, Walsall etc would do better?
This would be unlikely because there is no reason for someone from Manchester to support those clubs. Also, they don't have the infrastructure to maintain a major Premier League club. If Manchester was the size of London then it could support as many PL clubs, but the reason Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham have become so big is that they were all established many decades ago. And there hasn't been an example of a club being established in the post-War period and becoming really successful; until now the most successful is MK Dons.

I love London but don't try and pretend the imbalance makes anything better in our league or our country. The (relatively) even distribution of the sizeable TV money and all action style are the reasons people watch the PL.
These things help to some degree, but does the even distribution money mean that the lesser clubs can compete with the top six? Some will cite Leicester winning the league, but that is a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. The fact is that almost everyone accessing RC could predict the top six clubs in the PL for 2018-19 right now. Probably 99% of people would get it right.

Regarding the all-action style, Scottish football is similar to English football in this respect, does that mean people want to watch the Scottish league? What makes the PL quite unique in Europe now is that no-one can be quite sure who is going to win it. That's why it's more watchable. Foreign viewers aren't interested in watching an all-action match between Southampton and Burnley; indeed, when the so-called 39th game was being spoken about, this was one of the considerations.

It has also been a weird twist of fate that Chelsea and City got their oil money, as without that they would be absolutely nowhere, as they were before they got it, particularly City. So that has added two more competitive clubs. It's combination of that and the fact that London dominates the country economically, which means that it's the vast, sprawling metropolis that it is today, and it can and does support three world-class clubs.

If the PL had one big club in Manchester, one big club in London, and one big club in Liverpool, it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is now. The TV money could be distributed more equally in Spain, but Barcelona and Real Madrid are too big now. It is distributed evenly in Germany:

https://www.statista.com/statistics...on-revenue-bundesliga-football-clubs-germany/

...what difference does that make?

TwoSheds

This would be unlikely because there is no reason for someone from Manchester to support those clubs. Also, they don't have the infrastructure to maintain a major Premier League club. If Manchester was the size of London then it could support as many PL clubs, but the reason Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham have become so big is that they were all established many decades ago. And there hasn't been an example of a club being established in the post-War period and becoming really successful; until now the most successful is MK Dons.

These things help to some degree, but does the even distribution money mean that the lesser clubs can compete with the top six? Some will cite Leicester winning the league, but that is a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. The fact is that almost everyone accessing RC could predict the top six clubs in the PL for 2018-19 right now. Probably 99% of people would get it right.

Regarding the all-action style, Scottish football is similar to English football in this respect, does that mean people want to watch the Scottish league? What makes the PL quite unique in Europe now is that no-one can be quite sure who is going to win it. That's why it's more watchable. Foreign viewers aren't interested in watching an all-action match between Southampton and Burnley; indeed, when the so-called 39th game was being spoken about, this was one of the considerations.

It has also been a weird twist of fate that Chelsea and City got their oil money, as without that they would be absolutely nowhere, as they were before they got it, particularly City. So that has added two more competitive clubs. It's combination of that and the fact that London dominates the country economically, which means that it's the vast, sprawling metropolis that it is today, and it can and does support three world-class clubs.

If the PL had one big club in Manchester, one big club in London, and one big club in Liverpool, it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is now. The TV money could be distributed more equally in Spain, but Barcelona and Real Madrid are too big now. It is distributed evenly in Germany:

https://www.statista.com/statistics...on-revenue-bundesliga-football-clubs-germany/

...what difference does that make?
So nobody in Manchester supports Bury, Oldham, Macclesfield or Stockport...righto. :houllier:

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
So nobody in Manchester supports Bury, Oldham, Macclesfield or Stockport...righto. :houllier:
Bury average attendance - 3,845
Oldham average attendance - 4,264
Macclesfield average attendance - 1,831
Stockport average attendance - 3,433

So I doubt they're exactly inundated with supporters from Manchester.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Can someone explain to me why the likes of Eleven Sports don't (or can't) put a subscription-based channel on the Freeview platform. Surely there'd be a huge market for something like that?

Bojan11

Competition isn’t good in this case and I have no idea how anybody can say that.

Competition would be when BT, Virgin and Sky all have the rights for everything and try to get you to join. It isn’t great for consumer when rights are going to three or four different channels.

TwoSheds

Bury average attendance - 3,845
Oldham average attendance - 4,264
Macclesfield average attendance - 1,831
Stockport average attendance - 3,433

So I doubt they're exactly inundated with supporters from Manchester.
I don't see how that's relevant to what would happen if the populations of these places went up though? Leyton, Tottenham, Millwall and West Ham weren't always part of London you know...

Phil

What's the legality of buying a streaming package from another country and using a VPN? If it is legal, does anyone do that? Is there anything available?

Roons111

Supports
spurs

It's like the trains not real competition, they are competing for the right to have a monopoly.

They are not all getting the same package and the most efficient wins by getting more subscriptions, only one company can show the game.