Other Sky TV vs BT TV vs Virgin Media

TheGame

I've never understood this IPTV stuff and wouldn't know where to begin?

We are with BT but looking to local with one of the local GB providers and it will be cheaper and faster than BT but obviously don't get the sport channels.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've never understood this IPTV stuff and wouldn't know where to begin?

We are with BT but looking to local with one of the local GB providers and it will be cheaper and faster than BT but obviously don't get the sport channels.
Do you have a firestick or any of the Amazon TV boxes? Basically, you pay what is usually a yearly subscription to a "provider" and they talk you through how to install their IPTV, which is basically a steaming app that they run. The app generally has near enough every channel you'd ever need. Great for sport as you'll get every sky, BT, DAZN, Box Office channel. Subscription for a year is usually £40-70.

pocco

loco
All this new stuff! :) What the hell is a mesh system??
They're basically nodes that you plug in around the house which extend your WiFi signal by linking together. They genuinely do improve it by quite a bit too. Although @Igor Drefljak thinks Virgin will provide them for free if you ask. Perhaps you'd have to make a case that your house isn't great for wi-fi signal, Igor? I've never been offered them so not sure how to go about it. But you'll save yourself £150+ if you got them for free off Virgin.

TheGame

Do you have a firestick or any of the Amazon TV boxes? Basically, you pay what is usually a yearly subscription to a "provider" and they talk you through how to install their IPTV, which is basically a steaming app that they run. The app generally has near enough every channel you'd ever need. Great for sport as you'll get every sky, BT, DAZN, Box Office channel. Subscription for a year is usually £40-70.
Thanks, how would you know to buy off a trusted individual as a quick Google search reveals a number of providers?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Funnily enough, Amazon are doing a sale on their devices, so have just ordered a Firestick. Sale ends 2 Sep.

pocco

loco
Thanks, how would you know to buy off a trusted individual as a quick Google search reveals a number of providers?
Funnily enough, Amazon are doing a sale on their devices, so have just ordered a Firestick. Sale ends 2 Sep.
There's a group chat on here specifically for IPTV. There will be plenty of recommendations in there for providers etc. I can see if you can be added if you want?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Virgin do? Didn't know that. I bought a set off Amazon. Might try next time though. Are they any good?
Yeah, I had my router moved to a different room, and then in the far top room, the signal wasn't the best, so I called them, they sent one out. It was a little finicky to connect to be honest, but once it got going, it made a huge difference.

When the guy came round to do a few changes the other day, he was struggling to get one of the virgin boxes to connect, so he just ordered another on the spot :lol:
We then found out it was the box that was a bit iffy.

He then decided to give me the new business router, which to be fair, signal wise is better, but said these mesh systems dont work on these ones yet

pocco

loco
Yeah, I had my router moved to a different room, and then in the far top room, the signal wasn't the best, so I called them, they sent one out. It was a little finicky to connect to be honest, but once it got going, it made a huge difference.

When the guy came round to do a few changes the other day, he was struggling to get one of the virgin boxes to connect, so he just ordered another on the spot :lol:
We then found out it was the box that was a bit iffy.

He then decided to give me the new business router, which to be fair, signal wise is better, but said these mesh systems dont work on these ones yet
Ah ok fair enough. I bought a Linksys set of 3 from Amazon and they've been fine. My broadband is the 300mb package but the actual speed is faster. So even the nodes up stairs are giving out around 300mb. They were just the budget level Linksys Velop mesh too.

BristolRuss

There's a group chat on here specifically for IPTV. There will be plenty of recommendations in there for providers etc. I can see if you can be added if you want?
Can I be added to this as well please? My Virgin deal is coming to an end in December and I am looking for something cheaper.

Tiber

Bit of a bump, but didn't think we needed another broadband thread.

I had TV, broadband and netflix through Sky for the last 4 years or so. A lot of united games arent on Sky these days and the internet was expensive for 65mb so I cancelled it last week and signed up for a broadband only deal with EE which is due to go in next week.

Virgin turned up up at my door a couple of nights ago, it's never been avaliable in my town before but they said I can have their flashy new 1gb Internet package for free for 6 months as they want to trial a few houses before rolling out the service. At the end of the 6 months I can take a virgin deal or return to openreach.

Think il give it a go and cancel the EE, I'm cheap and 6 months free Internet is appealing. Anyone tried the new Virigin fttp product? Virgin used to be superfast but got the feeling the other companies had caught up in recent years. The TV probably isn't as good as Sky but I hardly used it outside of sports anyway

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does anyone work for Virgin Media by any chance? I’ve been with them since 2016 when I moved to Bristol. Long story short is we were planning to use Virgin anyway and I spoke to a guy selling it at a stand in the shopping mall and he seemed to be particularly desperate to make a sale so I drove a hard bargain and got a sweet deal. I found out later on when sorting out a new contract that he had applied some sort of mega bonus that the guy on the phone had only ever seen on accounts with 15 or 20 years loyalty or something along those lines and he said it was great for him because he could apply bonuses on top of it.

Anyway my current contract is coming to an end next month and I called up today to see what deals I could get and wasn’t impressed with what they were offering and the girl on the phone said it’s because we’ve only been with them for 18 months - I said it was more like 7 years and she said that moving house resets the loyalty bonus so everything that was on my account before was actually against my name at the old address. Surely that is bollocks? I moved house and retained my old contract using their moving service.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Does anyone work for Virgin Media by any chance? I’ve been with them since 2016 when I moved to Bristol. Long story short is we were planning to use Virgin anyway and I spoke to a guy selling it at a stand in the shopping mall and he seemed to be particularly desperate to make a sale so I drove a hard bargain and got a sweet deal. I found out later on when sorting out a new contract that he had applied some sort of mega bonus that the guy on the phone had only ever seen on accounts with 15 or 20 years loyalty or something along those lines and he said it was great for him because he could apply bonuses on top of it.

Anyway my current contract is coming to an end next month and I called up today to see what deals I could get and wasn’t impressed with what they were offering and the girl on the phone said it’s because we’ve only been with them for 18 months - I said it was more like 7 years and she said that moving house resets the loyalty bonus so everything that was on my account before was actually against my name at the old address. Surely that is bollocks? I moved house and retained my old contract using their moving service.
Play the long game, you'll get a decent offer a few days before your contract is due

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

If you don't wanna sign a contract you can rot watching freeview until it runs out. It's time the company got tough on people, this sort of thing wouldn't fly at sky.