Sliver of hope: an actual manager will be hired soon

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Since Fergie retired, United have hired:
1. A moneyball option who sounded like the old fella to a yank, but lacked investment, support and temperament. Rid in a year.
2. A has been that hadn't done anything at club level worth noting for years.
3. A has been that was quite clearly on his way down, having fallen out with even his own beloved club.
4. A caretaker hired for his playing career.
5. A football manager so good at managing football he has only done it for two season in the last decade.

For the first time since Fergie left, United will soon have an actual, in his prime football manager who understands modern football, has demonstrated success at crafting a style and winning matches. That HAS to make a difference. Right?

...right?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's all I can hope.

If he can't turn this around then I really don't think anybody can. The board have to give him everything he wants.

Making tough decisions will be key.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
We'll see if the problem was simply the manager and his support structure.

There is some fear that the whole thing is rotten and nothing will fix it. At least we had the Fergie years.

Eddy_JukeZ

Hopefully.

I've been peddling the idea that a world class manager solves a lot of our issues.

That said, we need to recruit extremely well. We can't botch another 300-400 mil in the next few years if we spend that.

KeanoMagicHat

1. A moneyball option who sounded like the old fella to a yank, but lacked investment, support and temperament. Rid in a year.
3. A has been that was quite clearly on his way down, having fallen out with even his own beloved club.
5. A football manager so good at managing football he has only done it for two season in the last decade.

For the first time since Fergie left, United will soon have an actual, in his prime football manager who understands modern football, has demonstrated success at crafting a style and winning matches. That HAS to make a difference. Right?

...right?
I agree Ten Hag would be the best manager (current ability) that we have hired, but Van Gaal had been a Champions League final only 4 years before he was hired by United, and was only one game away from a treble, I wouldn't say that he hadn't done anything in years.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Another one is Rangnick hopefully staying and sharing all that he learned to Ten Hag. Hopefully we won't get to see most of the current crop getting a clean slate.

Skills

Snitch
We're going to have a head coach. If we give him the keys to everything, we'll royally feck everything up again.

Someone

Something
The woodward era was horrific. Beside a new manager we need to make sure we're doing everything right with everything else. ETH failing shouldn't require a new rebuild, we should be able to survive changing managers without hitting rock bottom.

eire-red

I imagine ETH and Rangnick should work well together and in their respective roles. One could say that building a squad at a club the scale of United is a risk for them given where they're coming from, but I think that's what we need. This "Galactico" style hasn't worked to date.

Having said that, I'm not getting ahead of myself. Everything I've read about ETH has been good, but both Klopp and Pep had a lot more pedigree and success coming to England and struggled at the beginning.

Rebuilding this club is a massive ask, but I think these two can give us a style and an identity again. Even that would be a huge step forward.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Let's be honest, if this doesn't make any difference to our fortunes then this club is cursed :lol:

Dan_F

You’re actually mental if you think a new manager will suddenly turn it around. The hope is that the club are making changes to the long term planning, if not, all this is going round in circles.

My only hope is that Woodward is gone. I don’t think Murtough has that same kind of ego and seems to want to surround himself with people more knowledgeable on football. All of that needs to be in place before Ten Hag, if not then it won’t work.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I imagine ETH and Rangnick should work well together and in their respective roles. One could say that building a squad at a club the scale of United is a risk for them given where they're coming from, but I think that's what we need. This "Galactico" style hasn't worked to date.

Having said that, I'm not getting ahead of myself. Everything I've read about ETH has been good, but both Klopp and Pep had a lot more pedigree and success coming to England and struggled at the beginning.

Rebuilding this club is a massive ask, but I think these two can give us a style and an identity again. Even that would be a huge step forward.
He is already saying we need a load of players in. When he sees the farce that is our first month in the transfer window and we are fecking off to play friendlies half way with no business done he will move on IMO. He wont have any problem calling the Glazers out. This whole new setup is going to be a disaster right from the start.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
This.
It's a moment in time to unite, get everyone on the same page. No need to fight or bicker. No matter what happens and how it pans out, the club has made the right decision how to go into the future. A good decision. Probably the best decision in a decade.

Use the opportunity for a clean slate of fan differences and factions. Everyone can agree on this.

Gatecrasher27

That's all I can hope.

If he can't turn this around then I really don't think anybody can. The board have to give him everything he wants.

Making tough decisions will be key.
...yet not one manager can drop Maguire when it's the least tough decision in history

manutddjw

A new manger isn’t going to change anything until we clean house and get rid of problematic players who’ve now been here for 2-3 managers and watched them get sacked. They don’t care. Only a few players are upset when we lose a game. In the Sir Alex days we seldom heard of player contracts and now it’s constant.

NewYorkRed

I agree. Getting the right manager in can fix things still. Hopefully ETH is that dude.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Let see if ETH does better then our has been manager. Obviously he should do better than the rest, but it will be interesting if he can do as well as mourinho or LVG and what the narrative will be if he doesnt or does equally as well, considering that many fans see lvg and mourinho as failures

Waynne

...right?
BUT...

we need a competent lot of people in the backroom and in the board to assist him and give him what he needs to fulfill his vision. I'm confident Rangnick, Fletcher and co have sat down with him and they've worked on a multi year plan to get the club back to where it needs to be.

This season is written off for me anyway. I don't care about results going forward. I just want to see steady progress and if that comes from losing a few games then so be it. From next season that progress can start with getting rid of the vermin in the team that are living the high life on high wages.

Mercenary FC no more.

Winrar

Ten Hag & a near complete clearout with him is going to be our final attempt at our shot back to the top. Honestly don't know where we go if he fails.

Also stop awarding mediocre and underperforming players with fat contracts.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I won’t get my hopes up before I see us play better consistently. I still fear it’s just going to be more of the same with similar group of players, handing out contracts for nothing because we want to ‘maximize value’.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
...yet not one manager can drop Maguire when it's the least tough decision in history
The issue is we have so many changes we need to make. This won't be happening over the summer.

It's going to be a slow process and maybe 2/3 years before he can get rid of the players who aren't good enough and get adequate replacements.

Dropping Maguire for somebody who can run though is desperately needed.

Bestie07

Honestly, we need rid of a lot of the current set of players, even if we don't replace them. This is why hiring an interim was a good decision, having worked with the squad for over half a season he can give his honest opinion to the board and the next manager about the bad apples without looking after his own back. The last thing we need is a clean slate, a fresh start for the players when the new manager walks in. We need to clean the rot before we go buying new players, otherwise making new signings is pointless as they too will become a part of the rot.

Flexdegea

New Manager who is top potentially elite and on way up is essential, and we seemed have got that part done.

But just as important is getting the recruitment correct as well.

A big reason Klopp has Liverpool flying is the stellar recruitment they've been doing since he came in. Struggling to think of any duds they bought, Keity could maybe be even seen as on but even he had solid use for then while he been there.

Then again when the manager is elite, the recruitment tends to look impressive as any new players are coming into a winning squad and the manager can get the best out of them.

Hoping for same sort of turnaround with Hag, also expecting him to get the max out of some of our dross that we will no doubt be stuck with for next load of seasons as moving players on has been out Achilles heel for a while now.

tomaldinho1

It is shocking we’ve not hired a single manager who is hands on at training, not semi retired or on the decline and has elite level experience since SAF. That’s is just woeful and we deserve what we’re going through.

Lyng

It depends if he gets the freedom and money to truly clean house.
The players we have right now would manage to make Klopp look bad.
Its pretty clear a lot of them dont give a toss, and the rest are not good enough.
Every area of the field needs to be upgraded and the bad apples in the dressing room needs to be cleared out.

AmanNits04

Definitely, a proper manager who knows modern football.
But now, the board needs to back him and I feel somehow RR can play an important role to help ETH rebuild, his inputs of these 6 months are going to very important, a new manager coming in and then assessing the squad is something which should be avoided, the club and the new manager should take in inputs from RR and then work upon it with their individual evaluation. This would save us time during the start of the season, we Definitely need to start strong or atleast show strong intent from the starting of the season.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Rangnick is an actual manager, believe it or not. The players just decided they don't like his methods (running). Will happen to the next guy too.

wolvored

...right?
Hopefully right. He needs to get a grip straight away. Get as many of his own players in he can, making sure one is proper captain material and make him that. Build the team around the new players. Bollock the players left and say if their performance is still like this season they will be dropped indefinitely until they show better in training. Thats the only way to go forward.
I also hope we finish 8th so TH can have the maximum training days to implement his style. Were not finishing 4th and dont want the conference cup

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Won't make a difference. You are only as good as your players and this squad is shambolic.

GoldanoGraham

I think ETH will do well.

For starters, he couldn’t be arriving at a better time for impact, we are rock bottom. As low as we can go. Any green shoots of hope and recovery will be lapped up.

Also, I think that you can see the groundwork of what’s going to happen. Ralf is now becoming more and more vociferous about the issues and indicating that BIG changes are on the way. Everyone else at the club is saying nothing. Hopefully this means that there is support and a plan in place and problem areas, of which there are many have been identified and hopefully negotiations are underway to rectify with recruitment.

We are losing several players due to contracts finishing but of course we will also still be left with some of the same old dross. I think several other players will leave due to various reasons - thinking Martial, Bailey, Henderson, Jones.

We’ve got a big defensive issue in that Varanve is a crock, Maguire, AWB, Dalot, Telles are not good enough. Shaw is but not sure he is motivated enough.

We can only churn so many players at once and if 7/8 players leave, which is conceivable, replacing that many is going to be incredibly difficult especially with the overseas tour early into pre-season. The only saving grace is that there are no summer tournaments this year.

If RR is definitely staying on then all of this side of squad development needs to be left to the correct people and ETH and his coaching team left to do just that.

Id love to see RR’s school report on each player, and sincerely hope that those above him have read and agree with the plan and that ETH and RR work well together.

Then we would be on the right road to recovery.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It is shocking we’ve not hired a single manager who is hands on at training, not semi retired or on the decline and has elite level experience since SAF. That’s is just woeful and we deserve what we’re going through.
LVG was definitely hands on, his style of play was imprinted on the team, his philosophy didn't work out but he definitely was hands on getting it across.

tomaldinho1

LVG was definitely hands on, his style of play was imprinted on the team, his philosophy didn't work out but he definitely was hands on getting it across.
But he was semi retired, he was out of club football for over 3 years when we signed him.

Abraxas

It should make a difference, but it's far from guaranteed. And not just in the way that it's never guaranteed that a manager will be a success at any club.

But in a way that this is a gargantuan task. The way we are playing is worse than what Klopp inherited and Klopp only got where he did because he's a special manager. We don't know how good ETH is. It's more fractured in terms of the squad, there is no proven transfer methodology, there's a lot of discontent around the club in terms of the stadium, training ground etc that any manager doesn't really need on his plate.

I think he has to distill his targets into what is presently achievable and most likely to change the mood. I hear he is detail obsessed so he's likely to be across everything that affects the football side. But at the start it's about good transfers, improving the resilience and spirit within the side and improving performances and results.