Sloppy passing and touches

Smores

It's like you've tried to come up with a thread to blame the players rather than the manager and immediately come up with an obvious coaching issue.

I think some of our fans need to watch football other than United and preferably lower league, you'd soon realise much worse players have a great passing system.

I mean it should be fairly obvious that if players know the moves each other will make then passing is going to be more successful in general. If it's all on the fly as ours often is then there's a delay and second guessing.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Ole to defenders: YOU AND YOU DEFEND.
To attackers: You guys just go attack.
Fred and mctom : how about us boss.
Ole: you guys midfield it.

And thats how we get those awesome sloppy passes.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Your second paragraph is true, but I blame ole since he hasn't ever held a player accountable for shit play. Maybe if some of the underperformers were scared for their job they'd perform better. Again depends on the player but any sane manager would have benched Fred for a month by now
While i agree with the premise, and i honestly think Ole should be more ruthless at times there are two things to take into consideration

1) Some players respond differently to being dropped than other. Some gets spurned on by and it motivates them to win their place back, where as others can lose all confidence and fall into a sustained period of bad form. I dont really know what its like with with Fred, but going by Joses tenure it seems like that kind of "tough love" does not work for him at all as he was mostly shit for all of Joses tenure

2) In midfield its not like we have an abundance of options. Matic is decent on his day, but he can also be utterly catasrophic when hes facing athetic, high energy midfields. I wont bother digging them up, but last season the WDL stats with Mcfred compared to Matic was vastly better with the former

We as fans might want to "punish" players for performing poorly, but its not that easy for a manager

Eriku

This is more due to the fact that virtually all of those teams with exception of Leeds wanted us to have the ball because we can't do nothing with it and we're too sloppy, slow and generic to actually threaten them. They were all set to defend. It has nothing to do with us being some good possession team. Under LVG we were great at possession, but his signings were crap and unlike Pep he was too hung up on the idea that possession for possession sake itself rather than be used as a useful tool to penetrate defences and deny the opposing team an opportunity to score.
I’m not saying we’re peak Barca, all I’m saying is we clearly don’t cede possession because we prefer to break. This has been driven into the ground now and devilish has admitted the wording was over the top, Ole clearly doesn’t hate possession play.

And under LVG we were aimlessly recycling possession, taking absolutely no chances. Not sure I’d label that great in any way.

That reminded of the time when SAF was manager and in one game Carrick and Fletcher made an outstanding number of passes. Then when the details came 90% of them was between them. These teams know that if they give space United will destroy them. So it is obvious that they would concede possession and deny space so United will have possession. Look at that list. Just to quote them shows the ridiculousness of the whole thing. All of them are below us and Villareal should have won and Newcastle lost in the last 10 mins and `West Ham beat us in one of the games. The only good game we played was against Leeds.
You’re arguing against a point I never made. All I’m saying is that it’s idiotic to claim Ole hates possession.

Sviken

I’m not saying we’re peak Barca, all I’m saying is we clearly don’t cede possession because we prefer to break. This has been driven into the ground now and devilish has admitted the wording was over the top, Ole clearly doesn’t hate possession play.
We cede a lot of possession, mostly from stupid passes. Obviously Ole doesn't play possession football, quite frankly I don't know what football is he trying to play. Maybe you'll enlighten me because I'm generally curious.

And under LVG we were aimlessly recycling possession, taking absolutely no chances. Not sure I’d label that great in any way.
That's what I said. But what I meant was that the passing itself was great. We seldom gave the ball away like we do now.

Eriku

We cede a lot of possession, mostly from stupid passes. Obviously Ole doesn't play possession football, quite frankly I don't know what football is he trying to play. Maybe you'll enlighten me because I'm generally curious.

That's what I said. But what I meant was that the passing itself was great. We seldom gave the ball away like we do now.
I’m not saying we play possession football, I’m saying he clearly doesn’t HATE the concept. And I said we don’t cede possession as a tactic. Mourinho did that shit. Ole might not be a possession-oriented coach, but it’s a spectrum, you know?

I’m no tactical genius, and plenty of people on here have given a go at describing what kind of football Ole aims to play. Maybe see if you can find one of those posts. If I can’t even make any headway in rebutting the idiotic notion that Ole HATES possession, then I clearly shouldn’t waste my time trying to explain Ole’s tactics.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Jose hates possession. He thinks the less possession you have the less mistakes you make.
Ole likes counter attacking football. He has said so. So to counter attack you need to get a turnover when the opposition is attacking and unbalanced. In this case most opportunities arise when the opposition has most possession.

Dinghy

Every fecking pass puts a teammate under more pressure. It's ridiculous how bad we are at simple passing.

Giggsy13

Every fecking pass puts a teammate under more pressure. It's ridiculous how bad we are at simple passing.
That has to partially come down to player positioning as well. Our defenders just can’t find an outlet so it’s back pass after back pass and just predictable.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Pogba is probably our worst offender of this. Incredibly ridiculous and frustrating how poor his security of the football is for such a gifted player. So often his first touch goes 2-3 yards away from him and takes him into opposition players in situations which are inexcusable and it’s a feature of his game both he and his coaches never seem to improve. It’s painful at this stage, it really is.

LJJT

The arrogance some of our players are showing is incredible. Thinking they have all day on the ball, half arsed passes, winning no loose balls or 50/50’s it’s disgusting and I’m sorry but that isn’t on the manager. Players need to liven up

Based Adnan

Our players are so lackadaisical. Strolling around like they've got all the time in the world then inevitably put someone else under pressure with their pass when they realize that's not the case.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Update the thread title to: "Sloppy passing and touches, going through the motion."

I don't know what the feck we train whole week. Probably spend half a time smiling for cameras at training ground for social media purposes.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Declan Rice would solve all this sloppy passing problem.

Idxomer

Anyone who thinks it has nothing to do with coaching and management has no clue what he's talking about.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The arrogance some of our players are showing is incredible. Thinking they have all day on the ball, half arsed passes, winning no loose balls or 50/50’s it’s disgusting and I’m sorry but that isn’t on the manager. Players need to liven up
Both are at fault here. If its one player, then its on him, but if you have several players playing like its a friendly its also on the manager.

This sloppy shite combined with our ridiculous defending means every fecking game is going to be uphill. If you dont press, you got to sit deep and close down passing lanes and mark, but we dont do that either.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Stupid.

It’s like we think we are simply too superior to look like we are trying hard. Show some urgency and sharpness ffs.

Some players think they can coast through moments in the game and that we’ll somehow find a way to win with the attacking threat we have.

LJJT

Both are at fault here. If its one player, then its on him, but if you have several players playing like its a friendly its also on the manager.

This sloppy shite combined with our ridiculous defending means every fecking game is going to be uphill. If you dont press, you got to sit deep and close down passing lanes and mark, but we dont do that either.
Agree to a certain extent but it’s the pathetic 50/50’s that infuriate me the most it’s just absolute soft as shite approach by most of our players

Jackal981

See the difference on how both team plays and position themselves. Thats why they got all the 50/50s. That is all coaching

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Our players have a tendency to pass to where the receiver currently is instead of where the receiver is going to be. Makes our play more slow, static, and predictable.

And that's 100% coaching.

Dinghy

Simple passes slightly misplaced that ruins the attacking moves. Players in a good position, ball bounces off their feet. Rinse and repeat.

K Stand Knut

Simple passes slightly misplaced that ruins the attacking moves. Players in a good position, ball bounces off their feet. Rinse and repeat.
Yep.

I’d like to think a new manager will make it abundantly clear that that is not acceptable anymore.

Abraxas

This is a very disjointed showing which is probably relatively expected considering it's a thrown together bunch.

lsd

The Oracle
This is a very disjointed showing which is probably relatively expected considering it's a thrown together bunch.

I would be surprised if it wasn't disjointed tonight given the lack of experience most of the team had.

It was more about having a look at them and giving them some minutes on the board to see how they cope and most seemed to do well I felt.

RedStarUnited

I dont get it, there were just many in this game vs Newcastle as there were Vs Norwich. I dont know if its nerves or what?

no other “big” team has as many unforced errors as us I feel.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s like watching a bunch of competition winners play for United. Been watching from behind the sofa for years now.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I dont get it, there were just many in this game vs Newcastle as there were Vs Norwich. I dont know if its nerves or what?

no other “big” team has as many unforced errors as us I feel.
Lack of system and our players being thick as pig shit. 3 years of zero tactical evolution will do that to a lot of players. Criminal how we let Ole waste 3 years at this club. We are gonna feel the effects for a while.

Jacob

Varane's passing this game :lol: I'd genuinely be ashamed to collect my salary if I was some of these players.

AndySmith1990

Poor passing and zombie football. Its like we've been stuck in a never ending cycle of the same complaints for a decade. Will we ever play great football again?!?

ShinjiNinja26

We need to start fining players for this, it’s absolutely shocking the amount of times we misplace passes or poorly control a ball. Literally every fecking game, these are professional footballers getting paid a fortune and they can’t play a simple 5 yard ball to someone’s feet. It’s unacceptable.