Smalling and Maguire

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Physique and fitness are very important to Bailly. When he's fit, he's able to make up for his own mistakes and recovers from his poor positioning. When he's not, however, it would look terrible and disastrous. If he could stay away from injuries, he's a decent option for us.
He doesn't have poor positioning though. If anything he positions himself very well to intercept, he's aggressive so sometimes it doesn't always come off.

The only true weakness he has is heading and being a bit erratic, but I feel the older he gets the better he would be. IMO for me I'd have him next to Maguire over lindelof.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
We need to sell rojo, smalling and jones. Then we need to sign a new defender to partner with McGuire. Lindelof is too timid and bailey who although can take your breath away, his style makes him injury and error prone. Also, they are both poor in the air.
I think the 2 priority signings assuming that pogba and ighalo stays are right wing and centre back.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Smalling is a squad player and nothing more. And this was before VAR came in. I can't imagine how many penalties he would have given away this year considering how 'handsy" he is. In my opinion, a team needs 4 or 5 central defenders. Your two main starters, a veteran and a youngster (and possibly one other). At United, if we still had Smalling that would give us 7 (Maguire, Lindeloff, Bailley, Jones, Tuanzebe, Rojo and Smalling). So for our "veteran" it was between Jones and Smalling. And I don't think we "chose" Jones over Smalling. I think it was more of who still has some value.

1: No Smalling had been here a decade and has proven he’s nowhere near good enough. He is decent as a pure defender but has no composure on the ball and wouldn’t get in modern progressive teams. Lindelof and Bailly are both better players by a distance.
2:No (see above)

I expect on usual people will rush to his defence.
Precisely. 10 years ago we hoped Smalling and Jones were the natural successors to Rio and Vidic. It didn't work out for either of them and it's disappointing they played here for so long.
For club to consider Smalling a viable option at this stage would be tragic.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Smalling's ship has sailed thank goodness. Time to look forward, not back. Would love to see a Maguire/Bailly pairing in a consistent run of games. If we have to buy, Upamecano would be a perfect fit.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Physique and fitness are very important to Bailly. When he's fit, he's able to make up for his own mistakes and recovers from his poor positioning. When he's not, however, it would look terrible and disastrous. If he could stay away from injuries, he's a decent option for us.
We've played that game unsuccessfully with Jones and Anderson for years in the past.
But relatively successfully with Shaw.
So let's see how it pans out.

yo@Kirk

No and no. Ole needs to get whatever he can get for Smalling and Rojo, 15-20m, and apply it to Dayot Upamecano's transfer fee. DU is a fast, physical brute of a CB with passing ability as good or better than Maguire's and his other strengths complement Maguire's other strengths well.

He'sRaldo

We can sometimes focus so much on a player's weaknesses that we ignore that they're actually pretty good. Pogba's defensive awareness, Rashford's technique, Martial's movement, Maguire's pace, AWB's attacking, etc have all been used as reasons why they're not good enough.

The thing is, if we get so hung up on that, we start to think they're bad players instead of realizing they simply need their strengths magnified and weaknesses hidden. For instance, Martial didn't run in behind that much on the left, causing accusations of poor movement and mentality. At the same time Rashford was accused of poor technique and hold up play for a striker. Instead of binning them off, Ole switched their positions, and suddenly they're both firing and have good synergy. You can see the same with Pogba as when he played in a 3 as the more attacking mid as opposed to a 2 with more defensive duties, the performances were much better.

I think if every one of our players is put in a position to succeed, they'll show they're actually quite good, and Smalling is no exception. His technique isn't good, but he's been part of one of the best defences in the league several times now. If he's put in a situation where his superior defensive qualities are important and his lack of ball handling isn't, he'll be viewed as a top CB. It's probably not going to be at Utd though since Ole wants both CB's to be good at ball handling, even if it's at the expense of defensive ability. And that's fine if that's what the boss prefers, but it doesn't necessarily make Smalling a bad player.

And to be honest, I think Smalling and Maguire theoretically fit together and hide each others' weaknesses much better than Lindelof and Maguire, but at this point it's probably too late to go down that road.

hmchan

He doesn't have poor positioning though. If anything he positions himself very well to intercept, he's aggressive so sometimes it doesn't always come off.

The only true weakness he has is heading and being a bit erratic, but I feel the older he gets the better he would be. IMO for me I'd have him next to Maguire over lindelof.
Bailly does have poor positioning at times, not often though.

roseguy64

Smalling doesn't want to be a back up which is why he left and Ole wants to play out from the back which is why Ole didn't mind not including him.
I think it's more than not being a backup. He was backup in previous seasons and won his place. It was mainly that Tuanzebe was now 3rd choice instead of him who is younger and who Ole would likely favour. If he was told he'd be 3rd choice with a chance to win a starting place he'd have stayed. But he'd be behind too many people to get his chance for this season.

roseguy64

Smalling is a squad player and nothing more. And this was before VAR came in. I can't imagine how many penalties he would have given away this year considering how 'handsy" he is. In my opinion, a team needs 4 or 5 central defenders. Your two main starters, a veteran and a youngster (and possibly one other). At United, if we still had Smalling that would give us 7 (Maguire, Lindeloff, Bailley, Jones, Tuanzebe, Rojo and Smalling). So for our "veteran" it was between Jones and Smalling. And I don't think we "chose" Jones over Smalling. I think it was more of who still has some value.
VAR is not just in England you know. He's been playing in Italy this season.

roseguy64

We can sometimes focus so much on a player's weaknesses that we ignore that they're actually pretty good. Pogba's defensive awareness, Rashford's technique, Martial's movement, Maguire's pace, AWB's attacking, etc have all been used as reasons why they're not good enough.

The thing is, if we get so hung up on that, we start to think they're bad players instead of realizing they simply need their strengths magnified and weaknesses hidden. For instance, Martial didn't run in behind that much on the left, causing accusations of poor movement and mentality. At the same time Rashford was accused of poor technique and hold up play for a striker. Instead of binning them off, Ole switched their positions, and suddenly they're both firing and have good synergy. You can see the same with Pogba as when he played in a 3 as the more attacking mid as opposed to a 2 with more defensive duties, the performances were much better.

I think if every one of our players is put in a position to succeed, they'll show they're actually quite good, and Smalling is no exception. His technique isn't good, but he's been part of one of the best defences in the league several times now. If he's put in a situation where his superior defensive qualities are important and his lack of ball handling isn't, he'll be viewed as a top CB. It's probably not going to be at Utd though since Ole wants both CB's to be good at ball handling, even if it's at the expense of defensive ability. And that's fine if that's what the boss prefers, but it doesn't necessarily make Smalling a bad player.

And to be honest, I think Smalling and Maguire theoretically fit together and hide each others' weaknesses much better than Lindelof and Maguire, but at this point it's probably too late to go down that road.
Agreed with this.

Web of Bissaka

Nicely put. This!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I stop there. Injury prone players can never be relied upon. They tend to break when you need them most. We should have learnt that when we had Hargreaves, Fabio and Jones.

Honestly I want Bailly out even if he was a Stam, a Rio and a Vidic all wrapped in one player. I assure you he's not that good. In fact he's probably border Man United level player.

So I'd say let Bailly, Rojo and Jones leave the club and let's bring Smalling back and hopefully sign a young defender as well. Smalling, Lindelof, Maguire, Tuanzebe and a young CB on the cheap should be enough.

Brightonian

Great post.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
VAR is not just in England you know. He's been playing in Italy this season.
Thanks for clearing that up for me (yes that is sarcasm). the game in England is much different than the game in Italy. In Italy there is a lot more zonal marking where attackers are given space. In England however there is a lot more man marking where someone like Smaling tends to get caught out of position and then becomes a wee bit handsy. We've seen it over and over again through out his United career. But he used to get away with it. Not so sure he would now with VAR...

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Thanks for clearing that up for me (yes that is sarcasm). the game in England is much different than the game in Italy. In Italy there is a lot more zonal marking where attackers are given space. In England however there is a lot more man marking where someone like Smaling tends to get caught out of position and then becomes a wee bit handsy. We've seen it over and over again through out his United career. But he used to get away with it. Not so sure he would now with VAR...
He got called for it once in his entire career. Since VAR has come in he has played many times with it and never been penalised. In the World Cup we saw far far worse than he ever does and, other than one cheap penalty, it was never penalised. We see similar situations every game in the league this season and as far as I know not a one has been given (if I'm wrong feel free to point out the incident as obviously I haven't seen every match). The entire thing is blown massively out of proportion.

Honestly I do expect that VAR would make it slightly more likely, but only in the sense that he'll probably give one or two more penalties thoughout the rest of his career. Not exactly a huge deal like you're making out.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Personally, I think we should be asking a lot more for Smalling. There are reports that Napoli was close to 100m for Koudibaly. Smalling is only a year older and many would pick him for the team of the season for the Serie A. I'm not saying he's worth anywhere near that number (either is Koudibaly), but one of the top defenders in Italy should fetch at least 30m...

As for the OP, Smalling just isn't United quality as a starter. One year in Italy doesn't erase the previous 10 or so years here. If he were to come back that would mean we currently have 7 centre halves with Smalling, Jones, Tuanzebe, Rojo, Bailley, Lindeloff and Maguire. That is too many players for 2 positions (please don't ever play 3 at the back). Rojo is on his way out and Jones likely is too. Tuanzebe needs game time to get his feet wet so he can become our future starter. Does Smalling want to be 5th choice, because that's likely where he would end up...