Smalling and Maguire

Woodzy

Smalling & Maguire sounds like a good name for a US detective show set in the 70s.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd rather Smalling than Lindelof every day of the week, but then again i'd prefer Bailly on top form if he can stay fit.

Then again give me Upamecano over all of them :drool:

cyril C

1: No Smalling had been here a decade and has proven he’s nowhere near good enough. He is decent as a pure defender but has no composure on the ball and wouldn’t get in modern progressive teams. Lindelof and Bailly are both better players by a distance.
2:No (see above)

I expect on usual people will rush to his defence.
No Smalling is not our best CB pair. But he can be our best #3. No CB pairing can play 50 games a season, and against the likes of Watford, Westham, you don't need your ball playing CB pair, you just need someone who can defend set piece, and allow the rest of the squad to win the game.

Smalling is like Ighalo, backup player. But our #3 CB might get more games than Ighalo, as long as Smalling is happy with that then we are fine.

Andersonson

1: No Smalling had been here a decade and has proven he’s nowhere near good enough. He is decent as a pure defender but has no composure on the ball and wouldn’t get in modern progressive teams. Lindelof and Bailly are both better players by a distance.
2:No (see above)

I expect on usual people will rush to his defence.
How many managers must prefer Smalling over Bailly before our fans open their eyes?

Smalling is alot better than Bailly who is our 4th choice CB. If Smalling came back he would push Bailly further back in line and Smalling would battle Lindeløf for the starting position.

Im I saying he's good enough?
Better than Bailly? For sure. Last 3 or 4 managers say the same. But our fans thinks he's class for some bizarre reason I cannot understand.

Does he have the odd good game? Sure, Even Lingard has that. But overall there is a clear reason he's so far behind in the pecking order and it aint because of injuries.

The sooner our fans starts to study his game and not idolize last ditch tackles, because of poor positioning the better.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
How many managers must prefer Smalling over Bailly before our fans open their eyes?

Smalling is alot better than Bailly who is our 4th choice CB. If Smalling came back he would push Bailly further back in line and Smalling would battle Lindeløf for the starting position.

Better than Bailly? For sure. Last 3 or 4 managers say the same. But our fans thinks he's class for some bizarre reason I cannot understand.

Does he have the odd good game? Sure, Even Lingard has that. But overall there is a clear reason he's so far behind in the pecking order and it aint because of injuries.

The sooner our fans starts to study his game and not idolize last ditch tackles, because of poor positioning the better.
Smalling is very good in defending aspect alone but let’s not forgetting when Jose first started at United, he played Bailly - Blind partnership first over Smalling. Until he got injured, Smalling cemented his spot and as he performed, it would have been unfair to bench him over someone who just came back from injury. Even LVG started at United by benching him. Until the injury prone show their nature being injured, Smalling got the pick from the manager.

At the end of the day, the guy is going to be 31 years old next season and unable to play from back which can limit what our manager is currently expected our team to play and he’s not going to get regular spot until whatever we got hit injury again. I’m sure he would rather play in a team that can give him week in week out regular spot right now. That’s why he’s on loan at the moment.

Andersonson

Smalling is very good in defending aspect alone but let’s not forgetting when Jose first started at United, he played Bailly - Blind partnership first over Smalling. Until he got injured, Smalling cemented his spot and as he performed, it would have been unfair to bench him over someone who just came back from injury. Even LVG started at United by benching him. Until the injury prone show their nature being injured, Smalling got the pick from the manager.

At the end of the day, the guy is going to be 31 years old next season and unable to play from back which can limit what our manager is currently expected our team to play and he’s not going to get regular spot until whatever we got hit injury again. I’m sure he would rather play in a team that can give him week in week out regular spot right now. That’s why he’s on loan at the moment.
Never denied any of that. LvG and Ole wants to play from the back and neither Bailly or Smalling are very good at that.

Thats one of the main reasons Lindeløf is better. Both that doesnt disregard the fact that Bailly is our 4th choice and 5th is Smalling comes back. Yet, our fan base thinks he's very very good... When the fact is we should already upgrade on Lindeløf who is better than both of them

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Never denied any of that. LvG and Ole wants to play from the back and neither Bailly or Smalling are very good at that.

Thats one of the main reasons Lindeløf is better. Both that doesnt disregard the fact that Bailly is our 4th choice and 5th is Smalling comes back. Yet, our fan base thinks he's very very good... When the fact is we should already upgrade on Lindeløf who is better than both of them
Not sure why Bailly can't play from the back. Bailly does have potential to be very good. The injury been slowing down his development.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Hes going to be 31? Then it's best we sell him when he still has value. Morever am I the only one that liked Tuanzebe and wanted to see he an Maguire pair up?

InfiniteBoredom

When we were successful, we had at least one better CB than Maguire in the first team. Two, when we were also top tier in Europe.

So on that basis, Smalling and Maguire are definitely not good enough a duo, notwithstanding the fact that the former sometimes made Lukaku looked like prime Zidane when it comes to technique.

Web of Bissaka

Smalling did not want to fight for his place.
Unfortunately this.

With LVG and Mou, he fought for his places and arguably won in the end for many seasons, but gave up in the latest with Ole.

I was hoping for him to stay and fight to get a place, I mean seriously he should know by now the CB department is fecked with constant players missing with injuries, only Lindelof and him who tend to returned back quickly play the game a lot. The other 3 are often mia. Then Maguire came in, and Tuanzebe is back.

I think he just don't have any confidence in Ole at all. No report stated Ole even tried to convince him. There are players where Ole goes to such lengths convincing and there are players he just don't care at all except for nice lip services given in the press. I also believe it has to do with Maguire arriving and Smalling knows his omission from the England NT has to do with the idea that he doesn't have any ball-playing ability, and perhaps fear Ole will do the same. He also had a 2+ years of being spoken in public by two managers (Mou and Gareth) about his lack of skills. It must've hurt.

Alas.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Yes, because other options are shite anyway.

2. Look, if we have this team:

Oblak
TAA Smalling Maguire Robertson
DeBruyne Kante Bruno
Messi Ronaldo Mbappe

We surely are good enough to win the league.
So yes, Smalling and Maguire are good enough... but so do plenty of other decent players in the league too, if they are in “right” setup

RUCK4444

Hes going to be 31? Then it's best we sell him when he still has value. Morever am I the only one that liked Tuanzebe and wanted to see he an Maguire pair up?
You are not alone. I’m a big Tuenzebe fan.

I believe he has a higher ceiling than Smalling for a start. Would love him to become the long term CB pairing for Maguire.

gajender

You are not alone. I’m a big Tuenzebe fan.

I believe he has a higher ceiling than Smalling for a start. Would love him to become the long term CB pairing for Maguire.
I am no big fan of Smalling but Tuenzebe has done nothing so far to suggest he is even good enough at PL level let alone having higher ceiling than Smalling.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Watched some old games during lockdown, it's painful watching Smalling on the ball and how big an impact his lack of ability had on us as a team. Besides one season under LVG he's also been bang average as a defender, is rash and with VAR now in place could potentially give away a penalty a game with his arms all over players.

No thanks. Glad to finally see the back of him, Jones next hopefully.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Bailly is always injured so no wonder he’s further down the pecking order but his on the pitch he’s miles more talented than big Mike.

TrustInJanuzaj

This reminds me of the attitude so many had for Nani, Rafa the list is endless. All players that by the end were either overrated or a shadow of their former self as we were right to ship off. Smalling may be better than Jones and Rojo but that means we can derive a value in his sale, which at this stage is a no brainer.

Good servant? Yes. Decent player? Yes. The answer to our current CB problem? Absolutely fecking not.

Last edited:

Kostov

On paper Maguire and Bailly would be our best CB pairing, however Eric can't stay fit and always finds a way to hurt himself. Smalling is easily better than Lindelof and more reliable than both him and Bailly. I actually like Smalling and he can be very useful if he wants to rotate but can't see us winning the league with him and Maguire, with Maguire and fit Bailly we just might. Ideally we need a new partner for Harry.

TrustInJanuzaj

Bailly has been dropped multiple times because of poor performances. Poor is probably being kind; his bad performances are normally horrendous.
Usually off the back of injuries. He's always played well when given a prolonged spell in the team.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I said when we signed Maguire that Smalling is his most natural partner out of our current roster.

They each compliment each other's biggest weakness (Maguire's pace, Smalling's ability on the ball)
Both are aerial threats in both boxes, both can tackle physically and won't be bullied (which is what led to a number of goals conceded early on in the season)

Lindelof is decent, he's just soft - and I still don't know what he's best at?
Bailly is hot-headed and injury prone, wouldn't trust him in a cup final.
Tuanzebe has a lot of potential, but if this current season is an indicator, he too is quite injury prone.

The other senior defenders need to be shipped on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Smalling's greatest asset is far from pace, it's his ability in the air and physicality. He's a great tool when playing against someone like Deeney but those players are few and far between now and like I said Maguire can deal with those sorts now and do it better
Many teams in the league have a shed like Deeney up front.
But Smalling is quick anyway so can deal with other types.

Clearly better than Lindelof and Bailly. If we upgraded him then fair enough. But to keep them in preference is bizarre.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I felt that Smalling's weakest point was his distribution, so I don't see Ole having as much faith in him because of that.

The more interesting partnership for me is Tuanzebe + Maguire, just because I want to see Tuanzebe be trusted with a run of games as he looks ready to step up with a chance from the time with Villa & brief appearances with us.

Maguire's partner will need both pace & positional awareness as Maguire is slow + can drift and I've noticed Wan Bissaka lost positionally at times too. So when I hone in on those two facets that would improve us, Smalling can potentially help us.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Not sure why Bailly can't play from the back. Bailly does have potential to be very good. The injury been slowing down his development.
Bailly is certainly more capable with the ball at his feet. He could definitely play from the back, and often does.

Not sure it's just injury slowing his development though. He is so terrible in the air. If he can't head the ball now, I don't think he ever will. He's got a great leap, he just mistimes it every time, usually going over the ball and heads it downwards, or just misses it completely. I can't remember a top flight centre back being so poor at it.

Tel074

I love the Caf for reasons like Smalling . When he left I was one of a very small number of United fans saying we are crazy allowing him to leave . He has been put in the same bracket as Jones for years I've no idea where it started it possibly came from someone like Redknapp or Souness on Sky then people run with it like it's true .
Now the Caf is nearly to a man saying Smalling is our second best CB because of a successful spell in Italian football .
Italian football is way of what English football is so it's no surprise at all he is doing well over there .

I've always wondered how the hell does Southgate say Smalling isn't good enough then he plays the likes of Keane and Ming's

arnie_ni

There was a period of about 2 years after that stupid red card against city he was one of the best defenders in the league.

If only he was just a bit more comfortable on the ball

RUCK4444

I am no big fan of Smalling but Tuenzebe has done nothing so far to suggest he is even good enough at PL level let alone having higher ceiling than Smalling.
I think that's harsh. He's only 22 and has had very limited chances to make an impact.

He's had a few shaky moments but having seem him play live I have a very good feeling about this lad. If he can stay injury free I'm confident he will comfortably be our best CB next to Maguire.

poleglass red

defender makes mistakes, even the top ones, the difference is when they do it, it's a surprise. The issue with the likes of Smalling and Jones is you're expecting them to make mistakes, your holding your breath every time the ball is our area.Be it diving in and giving away stupid unneccessary set piece in dangerous areas, grabbing the attacker or being sloppy in possession. If we upgrade, we need pace and a defender comfortable on the ball to compliment Maguire. It's clear Ole wants central defenders who are comfortable on the ball, that's one area Lindelof isn't great in, not bad but not great. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of Lindelof, he like Maguire would both benefit when needed next to a central defender with pace.

jamesjimmybyrondean

defender makes mistakes, even the top ones, the difference is when they do it, it's a surprise. The issue with the likes of Smalling and Jones is you're expecting them to make mistakes, your holding your breath every time the ball is our area.Be it diving in and giving away stupid unneccessary set piece in dangerous areas, grabbing the attacker or being sloppy in possession. If we upgrade, we need pace and a defender comfortable on the ball to compliment Maguire. It's clear Ole wants central defenders who are comfortable on the ball, that's one area Lindelof isn't great in, not bad but not great. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of Lindelof, he like Maguire would both benefit when needed next to a central defender with pace.
This is also true for Lindelof Baily and Rojo.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don't get that fear from Lindelof though, he has own issues with pace and physicality but giving away sloppy possession and diving in aren't concerns I typically have for him.
Oh that's not what I meant. I mean both Lindelof and Baily don't fill me with much confidence similar to the other defenders mentioned. I also can't for the life of me understand why he's called Iceman for someone that panics underpressure