Smalling loan watch

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Interesting comparison. He got 13 goals and assists in the PL for United in 9 seasons. Maguire got 13 goals and assists in the PL in 3 seasons.
Weeeeell for a CB to score he needs 2 elements

a- he needs to be good in air
b- he needs somebody who can whip in a nasty cross.

Now Ekeke has quoted United's stats across time. You'll expect that Rojo, Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling and Jones were at the receiving end of the same quality of crosses. Maguire however has been at Leicester for most of the time. Could it be they have better crossers then we do?

Classical Mechanic

Now Ekeke has quoted United's stats across time. You'll expect that Rojo, Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling and Jones were at the receiving end of the same quality of crosses. Maguire however has been at Leicester for most of the time. Could it be they have better crossers then we do?
I tend to think its because he's a better attacking centre back than Smalling. In the 3 seasons Maguire's played in the PL he has more goals and assists than any other centre back. That's between two clubs - Hull and Leicester.

Smalling is a decent threat from corners though.

It's only been a quarter of the season in fairness. He should of had a couple too, he's missed two big chances from corners already.

bucky

The Giallorossi have prepared an initial bid in the region of €10 million, that could be submitted to the Red Devils in the coming days.

On the flipside, Roma have still a long way to go in the negotiations, as United have set their asking price at €20 million

romufc

Yes 4 goals is a lot and hes managed it twice. 1 goal is a lot compared to 90% of our CBs who usually get 0. And guess how many goals we have combined from our defenders this season - thats right 0

Lindelof scored 1 goal for Benfica, 1 goal for Sweden and 1 goal for United. He's in his 3rd season here

Rojo has scored 1 goal for Manchester United. He's in his 6th season here

Bailly has scored 1 goal for Manchester United. He's in his 4th season here

Jones has scored 4 goals for Manchester United. He's in his 9th season here

So yes Smalling's 12 goals in 9 seasons is a lot for a United CB

Rio managed 7

So your basis on keeping Smalling is that he MIGHT score a goal.. forget all his defensive incapabilities.

Have you actually done a goals to appreances rather than goals only?

I guess Rio was a crap defender because he only managed 7 goals?

TrustInOle

Couldn't care less where he would 'kill it' as he clearly not good enough for United. Depends on your definition of defending, he's made countless mistakes in recent years; If his defending was as good as you think he'd still be at OT and not been shipped out to Roma.
Tactical preference made Smalling not be first choice, but under the right set up, he is a quality defender. Name me a defender who doesnt make mistakes. My question is, why would you prefer Rojo or Jones to be getting game time over Smalling? Heck, I'd say we would be performing better, defensively, of we had Smalling instead of Lindelof on there, who has already led to 2 goals against us by mistakes.

In context, Smalling might not be good enough for us, but hes better than everything we have bar Harry.

Suedesi

If you read the Athletic article it’s clear he left for more game time. Roma made an offer to the club and promised the player 40-50 games. I can respect that.

Scotty McT

Far superior player to Lindelof. Should have been starting alongside Maguire.

A-man

Not really, as you Smalling often was the target for corners and free kicks, just like Maguire is now. The others take care of defending. Sometimes you move up both CBs but Smalling or Maguire is still the target.

VJ1762

I am surprised Arsenal didn't go for him. He is way better than the likes of Luiz and sokratis at defending.

He is not good enough for us, but reading the Athletic article, made me feel sorry for him. He talks about how people were having a go at him even when he thought he was playing well. We sometimes forget that footballers are human beings too, and earning 6 figures doesn't mean that they should 'be a man' and not react to anything. And United fans on social media sites are toxic as well. It's just that our players seem to have more mental fortitude. It made me appreciate players like Fellaini , Young and going back, Fletcher, more, to be honest.

Glad to see he is doing well. And surprised that he is the first Englishman to score for Roma.

Foxbatt

Of course he is a better defender than Lindelof. So when we have Maguire we need someone who can defend better. Let Maguire handle the starting of the attack.

arthurka

So your basis on keeping Smalling is that he MIGHT score a goal.. forget all his defensive incapabilities.

Have you actually done a goals to appreances rather than goals only?

I guess Rio was a crap defender because he only managed 7 goals?
Well he is actually up there with the best in Italy but we wouldn't hesitate to go over there and sign Koulibaly or De Ligt to strengthen our defense. He was always a very capable defender but he isn't a ball player. Could it be that maybe Lindelöf and Ashley Young had a lot to do with our crap defense last season? I am happy for him to get out there and prove himself again, he seems to be enjoying his football .. surprise surprise

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well he is actually up there with the best in Italy but we wouldn't hesitate to go over there and sign Koulibaly or De Ligt to strengthen our defense. He was always a very capable defender but he isn't a ball player. Could it be that maybe Lindelöf and Ashley Young had a lot to do with our crap defense last season? I am happy for him to get out there and prove himself again, he seems to be enjoying his football .. surprise surprise
He is playing well in a high line and is looking decent on the ball too

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Bring this guy back. It’s criminal we let him go. Seriously. He needs to play alongside Maguire and he will be the best player to partner Maguire. I’d have Smalling over Lindelof any day of the week and I have always said that.

DanClancy

He is playing well in a high line and is looking decent on the ball too
He must be getting a lot more time on the ball as Smalling has been at United for nearly 10 years and played under 5 different managers and not improved on the ball at all.

Cassidy

He must be getting a lot more time on the ball as Smalling has been at United for nearly 10 years and played under 5 different managers and not improved on the ball at all.
He wasnt exactly bad on the ball to be honest

I think people need to get over this one. He's at Roma because he wanted game time and we wanted a subpar defender off our books. He's had nearly 10 years to show he's good enough here, if he's not managed it in that time a few good months in Serie A isn't going to change anything.

Alabaster Codify7

I hope we don't accept a lowball from Roma because his form and the fact he's actually a decent CB and not old should mean we can get £20-30m for him from somewhere.

Comet49

I think people need to get over this one. He's at Roma because he wanted game time and we wanted a subpar defender off our books. He's had nearly 10 years to show he's good enough here, if he's not managed it in that time a few good months in Serie A isn't going to change anything.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He has actually shown that he's good enough here. There was a period a few years ago when he was one of the better defenders in the league.

He has actually shown that he's good enough here. There was a period a few years ago when he was one of the better defenders in the league.
Every manager we've had bar Moyes has made moves to replace him. Until now the replacements haven't been good enough or fit enough to actually do it, but it doesn't mean he has ever been good enough.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Every manager we've had bar Moyes has made moves to replace him. Until now the replacements haven't been good enough or fit enough to actually do it, but it doesn't mean he has ever been good enough.
Every manager we've had has also been sacked, so I'm not sure I would hang my hat on that one.

A-man

Every manager we've had has also been sacked, so I'm not sure I would hang my hat on that one.
That’s a good point. I think he would be the perfect player to have for certain matches and on the bench to increase power at the end of matches. But I think he is too good to sit on the bench, and that he doesn’t fit the way Ole wants to play, and can understand if he is not part of the plan to build a new United with younger players. The solution with Roma seems to work well and he has been playing well most of the matches.

Cassidy

He was bloody terrible on the ball come off it man! Very good at pure defending, but cant pass a parcel!
Under LVG I don't think he was terrible on the ball, somehow this has been exaggerated. He wasn't great but he wasn't exactly bad either.