Smalling / on loan to Roma 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great move for the lad, chuffed for him.
Was about to post this too, I think he'll love Italy where pure defending means more than anything. Plus... he'll be living in the most beautiful city in the World where they adore their footballers.

Love seeing English players try their luck abroad, think he'll do great and they or another Italien club will pay a very decent fee to keep him in Serie A.

MadMike

Best of luck to him to be honest, it's a good move for him. Better defender than given credit for and very often scapegoated for the whole team's deficiencies.

Hopefully his minutes will go to Tuanzebe instead of RoJones.

BlackBen

Why do people care who is going first between Smalling, Jones and Rojo? The order is not important. The only important thing is the process of clearing deadwood has begun, they are not in the managers plans and that's it. Smalling has a taker so hes leaving now. The others will follow him out when there's clubs that want them.
Exactly. Clearing the deadwood is the most important thing. It's not easy getting rid of them so when a small opportunity presents itself in the form of a loan we should take it.

jackal&hyde

For the people asking why we didn't first sell Rojo or Jones, you have to have offers to offload players. I have no doubt that come the beginning of next season both will be gone. We might be in the market for another CD next summer, probably a young prospect with the right attributes but a work in progress that is ok being 3ed or 4th choice.

DRM

Thank God he's going, been a long time coming. Don't care which of the clowns we have in defence leave first as long as they leave I'm pleased.

I'm now starting to believe Ole can be ruthless. Joy really comes in the morning :D:D
Give it till Saturday 2pm before the misery returns

decorativeed

Good news. Strange to sign a player up on a 3 or 4 year contract and then send him on loan 8 months later but oh well... maybe we can eventually get rid of the dead wood making those decisions at some point too.
That's exactly what we did with Nani a few years back.

SaintMuppet

I’d be keeping Smalling personally.

There are a lot of guys id get rid of before him. We will be a few injuries away from Rojo at cb.....

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Great move for him, I'd expect him to do well too - his career is far from over.

His reputation haas been tarnished as a United player, due to memes such as 'chuckle brothers', so there was no way back for him in the team.

RedDevil-85

Good luck to Smalling.
Best for everyone involved.
Hope Darmian is next,feel a bit bad for him and hope he finds himself a club where he get to play.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good move. Roma are lacking numbers at the back. He could easily secure his place there.

Russell_eire

I must be in the minority here, but I think it is a bad move; he is still the third best defender at actual defending at the club after Maguire and Wan Bissaka, and think about what might happen after the usual rash of defensive injuries: a back four of Young, Bailly, Jones and Rojo, yikes!

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I don't see how this makes our squad stronger for this season, so it seems a bit pointless. If Lindelof has another unconvincing season I think it would be fair to conclude he's actually a worse defender/player than Smalling, which would mean we've now offloaded our second best CB to AS Roma while we're hardly stacked with reliable options.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Odd one for me. Smalling is still our 2nd best centre back at the moment, appreciate he needs to be replaced but the likes of Jones and Rojo should have been pushed out the door first.

jackal&hyde

Think Darmian will finally go on a free when his contract expires in the summer. The guy is just wasting his career here.
Yeah, i feel a bit bad for him. Well, as much as you can feel bad for a young millionaire kicking a ball for a living.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Your own argument works against you though. What is Tuanzebes experience compared to Smallings? How many times have we seen Tuanzebe play well at CB for us? I hope the kid does well, but we’ve just let big chungus go as we thought it’s ok we have Greenwood. He’s looked lost when he’s been played in anything other than a friendly. We’re now doing the same thing again, albeit admittedly for a player who has a few more first team appearances.

The whole approach is just very fecking risky. Even shite like sanchez know how to slow a game down or have authority when they come on, even if he contributed nothing to the actual play. If things start going bad in games, having a bench stacked with kids is just fecking blindly optimistic
You're again skirting past addressing your original comparison so at this point I'll just leave you to it

Gandalf

This move is totally heartless. Now all of those twatwaffles who keep screaming Brexit FC are going to have to think of something else to complain about and the timeshare brain cell they have been using won’t be able to take the strain.

Scholsey2004

Wow, that was out of the blue! Is it a 3m fee and they pay his wages? That would be a great piece of business.

Grande

Best of luck to him to be honest, it's a good move for him. Better defender than given credit for and very often scapegoated for the whole team's deficiencies.

Hopefully his minutes will go to Tuanzebe instead of RoJones.
I really like Chris Mike Smalling as a character. He is also a very good player, and if you’re looking for a msotly defending defender, and have another CB with some leader skills already, he is one of the best options around.

For managers like Southgate, Guardiola, Solskjær, he solves some problems and introduces others. Some say he is still a good backup option, but I disagree: If you play out from the back and want ability to control the ball and play off high pressing, you need two CB’s comfortable with the ball and with passing through tight areas. Not necessarily geniouses, but comfortable enough. If one of them are injured, and you introduce Smalling, it’s not merely a matter of plusses outweighing minuses - you have to change the way you play, affecting all other 10 players.

For Mourinho, he is perfect apart from one thing: Mou always needed a warrior-leader in defense. Smallings best games were maybe with under Van Gaal with Blind, the only CB we’ve had the last five years with much leadership qualities. Unfortunately, he was not warrior enough for Mou’s football, and so we had no one like Terry, Ramos or Materazzi beside Smalling. Ironically, under Mou, Smalling could have been a really good foil for Maguire, but Mou weren’t afforded him, and under Solskjær, his ball playing skills are just a bit too detrimental.

I love the Mike who is almost never passed, or always onto a header. I like more though, that Solskjær want’s to play another way, and that he is uncompromising enough to put maybe the best defensive CB and a very likeable chap, out of the club because he wants us to play football a certain way.

Sterling Archer

Strange. Not only because he can defend without getting injured, something Jones can't. If we're trailing at the end of a match (it'll be often) and we don't have any more options (we're so paper thin now) then I'd rather throw Chris up top than someone like Llorente. He maybe can't pass but he's scored quite a few for us.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Roma were trying to get Lovren off of us a week ago. Guess they've given up on old Degsy.

Scholsey2004

Odd one for me. Smalling is still our 2nd best centre back at the moment, appreciate he needs to be replaced but the likes of Jones and Rojo should have been pushed out the door first.
I agree but at the end of the day we've got too many defenders and the worst ones will be the least saleable. Smalling is probably unlucky that Bailly was injured because he'd likely have been first out the door otherwise.

Ole90+3

Why do people care who is going first between Smalling, Jones and Rojo? The order is not important. The only important thing is the process of clearing deadwood has begun, they are not in the managers plans and that's it. Smalling has a taker so hes leaving now. The others will follow him out when there's clubs that want them.
It is important. Smalling is the only one out of those 3 that has proven to have a decent fitness record. The other 2 are completely and utterly unreliable. This is a bad decision and will likely bite us in the ass when we are play a game every 3 days and relying on Bailly, Rojo and Jones to step in.

Last edited:

acnumber9

It’s a shit decision to let him leave while far worse options remain.

Alemar

This is a bad decision and bite us in the ass when we are play a game every 3 days
Why? We still have 5 CBs left (plus Bailly and Fosu-Mensah when they recover). Besides, it is always possible to field some youngster against shitty opposition if need be, it wouldn’t change anything.

ravi2

I would have preferred Jones, Rojo or Darmin to go first but I guess there are no serious offers for any of those 3.

El Zoido

It is important. Smalling is the only one out of those 3 that has proven to have a decent fitness record. The other 2 are completely and utterly unreliable. This is a bad decision and will likely bite us in the ass when we are play a game every 3 days and relying on Bailly, Rojo and Jones to step in.
Don’t care. Fed up of persisting with these crap “reliable” players I just want him gone. Rip the plaster off and buy better next summer.

DCP

It's obvious that we needed to get rid of a defender and we have gone down the list looking for takers. Smalling is the one that someone has bit at first. Probably thought Rojo would have gone to somewhere abroad, either he didn't or Shaw gettign injured put a stop to it.

Alemar

Two of them are injury prone and one I feel could go down that route.
So what? We play a system with 2 CBs. It is not worth it to have Smalling in the squad if all he can hope for is some 5 appearances a season against opposition like Macclesfield Town etc, better give those to a reserves youngster.

R'hllor

Well that was unexpected. Italians really have hard on for loan deals.

Ole90+3

So what? We play a system with 2 CBs. It is not worth it to have Smalling in the squad if all he can hope for is some 5 appearances a season against opposition like Macclesfield Town etc, better give those to a reserves youngster.
I'm talking about the winter time fixture congestion which tests the depth of the squad. I don't know how fans can be happy with relying upon 3 permainjured defenders and a youngster who has played f all minutes for the first team.

R'hllor

Guess Jones will be staying after all and that talk about protecting asset value so we could get a fee this summer was a bullshit by well known crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.