Smalling / on loan to Roma 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's not third choice though, Tuanzebe is. Jones/Bailly while shit and injury prone are fine as 4th choice.
Tuanzebe is third choice already? Not too sure about that.

Bringing in the kids is great, but we've left ourselves exposed to them having to be good enough right away all over the pitch, which is a massive risk for a club needing to get top 4.

Gazza

Looks like I am one of the few who puts Jones ahead of Smalling. He's a better passer than Smalling, esp. when looking for a long pass. He can also play in the midfield, which is a boon given our current midfield situation. Plus (and this is probably a small point), Smalling gets very handsy while defending - which, given VAR, is dangerous.

The only thing I think we lose with Smalling, is aerial ability. I feel a lot more assured when Smalling goes up for a header than when Jones does.

I'm guessing that a 20 start season would be slightly less taxing on Jones injury wise, since he will be starting behind Maguire and Lindelof. If Ole is around next season, I think we will get another solid defender, and get rid of Rojo and Bailly, so that Jones can be 4th choice.
Not true. Just because he has been played there in the past does not mean he can play there. He can’t.

ForlanFletcherPee

You mean he’s fallen victim to us signing a better CB.
A better CB? Wait for the season to end man, 3games he's already getting the stick, You will see he's just an expensive Smalling, He's no better than Smalling, only for This new stupid fact of passing shit everyone going berserk for, Hope u saw with your Lindelof and Maguire Crystal palace had 3shots and scored two all to defensive errors, u would soon see that we have been robbed with Maguire,

Dread Devil

I think it’s a very smart move for all parties..Smalling needs to play, now he is also in the shop window if he/club wants a permanent move away.

We have way too many defenders and whilst he has been a great servant, he doesn’t fit Ole’s plan for the future.

I was terrrified of how many penalties Smalling would give away with Var so I am happy he is on loan in Italy rather than with us or another English club which could affect selling price..

I am excited about how strong and smart Ole has proved to be in this window...we couldn’t get some of the players he wanted but he didn’t try and get others just for the sake of it.. at the same time he is freeing up cash and getting players out on loan and in the shop window..

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What on earth is going on? Smalling's a good CB. Makes no sense to hand Jones a new contract and let Smalling go.

acnumber9

The obsession with playing out from the back baffles me. It only works if you have defenders who can actually defend as well unless you have a midfield so dominant they starve the opposition of possession. What we have now is a starting centre back with question marks over their actual defending and any ‘ability’ they have on the ball rendered useless by our midfield not being good enough.

I Am Zlatan

I hate to add to the negativity here, but I wouldn’t loan Smalling.. I would get rid of Darmian, Jones, Rojo, and Bailly, and in that order too.. but if we were to loan out Smalling then (I’ll probably get a lot of stick for this) I would keep Darmian to cover for cb with Tuanzebe and get rid of Rojo, and Jones. I feel like Darmian does decent every time he plays as a cb..

Teja

Wait why are we loaning out Smalling? I thought he was behind Maguire / Lindelof in the pecking order, shouldn't it be Rojo / Jones that leaves instead?

Maybe Smalling insisted on having first team football while Rojo / Jones / Bailly are happy with being backups.

crossy1686

career ending
I hate to add to the negativity here, but I wouldn’t loan Smalling.. I would get rid of Darmian, Jones, Rojo, and Bailly, and in that order too.. but if we were to loan out Smalling then (I’ll probably get a lot of stick for this) I would keep Darmian to cover for cb with Tuanzebe and get rid of Rojo, and Jones. I feel like Darmian does decent every time he plays as a cb..
We can't loan or sell players that don't want to leave or no one wants. Someone wants Smalling and he's happy to go, so off he goes.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I understand that we've got too many CBs in the squad. However Smalling is our 3rd best CB at worst and our 2nd best CB at best. Letting him go is indeed a mistake. If the club wanted to get rid of CBs then it should have allowed Rojo and Bailly to leave + it shouldn't have renewed Jones contract. Now we're left with a kid and 3 very injury prone and shit CBs as cover. All for what? 2.3m fee? Its not as if we're buying someone till at least January.

Ekeke

Honestly though I think he'll be back at the club after his loan, and I doubt Ole is still here at that point.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Honestly though I think he'll be back at the club after his loan, and I doubt Ole is still here at that point.
Smalling and Sanchez will be paraded as if they are 'new signings' with Ole being labelled as naive and too idealistic.

SAFMUTD

He is not good enough to be starting but he’s by far our third best defender.

I don’t understand why would we ship Smalling out before Rojo or Jones.

We continue to weaken our squad and what makes it even worst is that we are not selling players, we are loaning them.

It’s one bad decision after another.

dev1l

He is not good enough to be starting but he’s by far our third best defender.

I don’t understand why would we ship Smalling out before Rojo or Jones.

We continue to weaken our squad and what makes it even worst is that we are not selling players, we are loaning them.

It’s one bad decision after another.
Depends also on whether the player accepts the offer (which most probably is lower) and if there are any takers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What people don't understand is, no one wants Jones, Rojo and Bailey :(

SAFMUTD

Depends also on whether the player accepts the offer (which most probably is lower) and if there are any takers.
Bottom line is, are we better without Smalling in the squad? Was it a great deal?

The answer for both is no. So I don’t get why would we do that besides lowering the wage structure.

Good forbids an injury from Lindelof or Maguire and we’ll be seeing Phil “calamity” Jones starting games.

dev1l

What people don't understand is, no one wants Jones, Rojo and Bailey :(
I m sure there are clubs interested in all of them but they are not prepared to pay what we and the players are asking.
Best case scenario was letting go on a free transfer.

dev1l

Bottom line is, are we better without Smalling in the squad? Was it a great deal?

The answer for both is no. So I don’t get why would we do that besides lowering the wage structure.

Good forbids an injury from Lindelof or Maguire and we’ll be seeing Phil “calamity” Jones starting games.
As things are,you re more likely to see Tuanzebe rather than Jones

atticus finch

We do seem short of good, fit, centre backs, if we get an injury to Maguire or Lindelof. In the old days, clubs had a recall clause in loan agreements in case of injuries. Maybe we have something like that in Mike's loan agreement...

Yagami

Good post resistant
This is daft.

Smalling's better than all our CBs bar Maguire. Maybe Tuanzebe will end up better, so I'm all for him getting game time over him, but the rest? They should be out before him.

POF

Smalling is the best defender at the club and I'm sad to see him leave but I can completely understand why Ole has done it. Much like Lukaku, Fellaini and Sanchez, he just doesn't fit the style of football that Ole wants to implement.

It might lead to more conceded goals due to defensive errors like Ayew at the weekend but the change in style is an extremely positive move and I completely support what Ole is doing.

Tuanzebe, Jones and Rojo as back up is more than enough.

I also really hope Smalling does well in Italy. I think he's well suited to Italian football. He's been a great servant to the club and deserves every success at his new club.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not a fan of Smalling but I rate him higher than Lingard as he can outmuscle an opponent and win the ball for a change. That being said he doesn't fit Ole's football as not being a technically gifted baller.

Just get rid as many deadwood you can. Ole doesn't want to see him even on the bench, so there's not that many arguments to keep him anyway.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Btw if he goes to Roma then hopefully he will smash it there. Judged harshly for years when he was our best CB. If he moves to Serie A, then can see him doing really well.

Also he will be one of the cleanest defenders there, going by how much Serie a defenders pull the shirts and all that.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
If he goes there's a good chance our defence would look like: AWB - Tuanzebe - Rojo - Young at some point in the season. Fun.

always_hoping

All the best to Chris. Only right that Smaldini ends up playing in the Serie A. I would have kept him on as back up to any injuries to Maguire or Lindelof before Phil Jones but who would want to take Jones who can't keep fit or stop making mistakes in games?

Negative Red

I'm pretty sure Solskjaer and co. have weighed up the pros and cons on the departure of Smalling before letting him leave. Some of these posts on squad depth and it being a mistake to loan him out are laughable.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What on earth is going on? Smalling's a good CB. Makes no sense to hand Jones a new contract and let Smalling go.
I agree, but finding another professional football club willing to allow Jones to play for them and pay him for the privilege is an impossible task. No one is that stupid.

We're stuck with Philip Jonas forever.

dev1l

I hope he does well over there because compared to other players,he was a model pro.

Opinion seems to be divided on him,some say he was our best defender,others say he s crap.

Truth is somewhere in the middle I guess. Defensively he was good, very fast and excellent in air due to his height. His major drawback is getting the ball out of the defence, something which is considered almost indispensable.
Anyway Good Luck Chris..or Mike...whatever.. :)

Ekeke

I'm pretty sure Solskjaer and co. have weighed up the pros and cons on the departure of Smalling before letting him leave. Some of these posts on squad depth and it being a mistake to loan him out are laughable.
Nobody is saying he hasnt. That doesnt mean he's made the right choice. Its not like he has a winning record

ROFLUTION

Its a strange move to me as he's a better defender than Lindelöf. But I guess he has the same profile as Maguire who can also play the ball. A shame for our actual defending if he leaves.

Truly feels like a transitional season, that is mostly about getting rid of a lot and not buying much replacement.

Full bodied red

If he goes there's a good chance our defence would look like: AWB - Tuanzebe - Rojo - Young at some point in the season. Fun.

Change Darmian for Young and I'd be quite happy with that.

Not in preference to AWB - Lindelhof - Maguire - Shaw, but happy enough as a back-up back line.

Anyway....Good Luck Mike - you're probably too good to sit on the bench for another 10 months or so....

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I hope he does well over there because compared to other players,he was a model pro.

Opinion seems to be divided on him,some say he was our best defender,others say he s crap.

Truth is somewhere in the middle I guess. Defensively he was good, very fast and excellent in air due to his height. His major drawback is getting the ball out of the defence, something which is considered almost indispensable.
Anyway Good Luck Chris..or Mike...whatever.. :)
A good CB on his day, as you say, but too inconsistent at the same time. His proneness to errors makes him unreliable, similar to Jones, Rojo and Bailly in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.