Smalling / on loan to Roma 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
How have Jones and Rojo survived this ahead of Mike?

Zoo

And yet we keep Jones.
Possibly says more about Smalling that he wants to play and is willing to go abroad. I wish him well, feels a bit like the end of an era.

Renegade

He should still be 4th choice. You think Maguire will play every game? We’re in 4 competitions ffs. Jones & Bailey are injured constantly, Rojo is a waste of space. God forbid Ole doesn’t have a injury crisis. Injuries to Pogba & Maguire and then we become midtabke quality. Tuanzabe is a great prospect but still he is fairly unknown at this level. Huge gamble that I hope pays off.

prateik

Totally forgot we still had Bailly..
feck me..

Lindelof, Maguire, Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Axel..

Still room for another one to go.

Abhinav

People who keep saying that Rojo & Jones should have gone first need to realize its a 2 player game - someone needs to want to take a player for you to sell/loan them out. Rojo was by all accounts wanted by Everton, and Ole had given the green light before Glazers blocked the move at the last moment. Its not Ole's fault that Rojo is still a Man United player.

Based Adnan

Our best CB and one of the best in the league apparently and the only clubs that were in for him were Everton and Roma

Glad he's being moved on. We want to play out of the back and Smalling can't do that. System should always take priority over individual players and even then, as an individual player Smalling has had 10 years and has shown to be not good enough. Only bad thing is there's no permanent option but hopefully he has a good year and there's loads of interest next summer.

sparx99

Yep he's been ruthless and it's long overdue, how so many of these players have survived post SAF is anyone's guess (they've basically lucked out due to the ever moving carousel of managers)

Valencia - gone
Young - replaced
Lukaku - sold
Sanchez - loaned out
Smalling - loaned out

Obviously the last 2 return to us in less than a years time but it's a clear signal of intent that if Ole is still in charge at that time they have no future at the club. Looking very likely this time next year we can add at least Darmian's name to the outs if not the likes of Rojo and Matic as well
Don’t forget Fellaini. All players with a bad first touch and poor passing.

Bojan11

People who keep saying that Rojo & Jones should have gone first need to realize its a 2 player game - someone needs to want to take a player for you to sell/loan them out. Rojo was by all accounts wanted by Everton, and Ole had given the green light before Glazers blocked the move at the last moment. Its not Ole's fault that Rojo is still a Man United player.
Well not really.

Jones was given a new contract in February, so it was a one player game and we should have just told him to feck off.

AlwaysRed66

Quite surprised no other club bought him if he was available.

Oh well bye bye Mike.
It seems Everton wanted him for loan, but we wouldn't allow it. If he is so crap as what people make out, you think we would want to weaken Everton, but I expect he would strengthen them.

minoo-utd

Ole has no clue in transfers in tactics and apparently in the team he has in hands. It is not the right time to sell players, unless we replace. How he still keeping these injury prone cnuts and sell a good backup defender! we are in four competitions and our players miss alot of games so what he is going to do? I totally lost faith in this man.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ole has no clue in transfers in tactics and apparently in the team he has in hands. It is not the right time to sell players, unless we replace. How he still keeping these injury prone cnuts and sell a good backup defender! we are in four competitions and our players miss alot of games so what he is going to do? I totally lost faith in this man.
Goodbye then

fergiesarmy1

The three signings have been a disaster as well so far, you tell him! :nono:

stevoc

Wants to play and Roma are good club, I'm happy for him. Him making way but Rojo and Darmian still rattling about is a shame.
It is a shame but the difference is Smalling is actually a good player that a decent team wants. No one wants the other two even on loan it seems.

Last edited:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
On the one hand, Smalling is a great defender and deserves to play every week, good luck to him.

On the other, if one of Lindlehof or Slabber gets injured, there is no one better than Smalling to come in and cover for the games they are out.

Abhinav

Well not really.

Jones was given a new contract in February, so it was a one player game and we should have just told him to feck off.
That was also a Glazer/Ed move to try and protect the transfer value of the player. Not much that Ole can do about that. Ideally, yes we should have not renewed his contract but such is the competence of our club that we keep on scoring own goals.

Jambalaya

I do not rate him but i think its bad move. We will miss him when fixtures starts to pile up. Rojo,Jones and Baily should go before him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josep Dowling

Should never ever have given Jones a new contract.

We should have let his contract go and kept Smalling. I’m not a massive fan of his but he’s the best option from the bench.

rampo

On the one hand, Smalling is a great defender and deserves to play every week, good luck to him.

On the other, if one of Lindlehof or Slabber gets injured, there is no one better than Smalling to come in and cover for the games they are out.
Smalling, a great defender?

stubie

Tuanzebe

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It is a shame but the difference is Smalling is actually a good player that a decent teams wants. No one wants the other two even on loan it seems.
Absolutely, just enough education to perform as Wazza might say

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Smalling a victim of this ‘passing over defending’ era we find ourselves in. Not a fan of this at all; but if we are not going to use him then it makes sense.

At this rate we should have just chartered a jet from Manchester to Italy this summer and filled it up with everyone we don’t want. At least Exctinction Rebellion would be happier than us sending a different jet every week!

crossy1686

career ending
Think Chelsea are looking for some new fans mate.

PieCrust

Very surprised. Smalling is a better defender than Lindelöf, but doesn't have the on the ball ability. Guess Tuanzabe on the bench was the real deal as 3rd choice CB.

Pretty terrible move though. Smalling is better than Jones and Rojo and the loss of depth will be felt at some point in the season. Plenty of games to around for both Smalling and Tuanzabe.

stevoc

Sad to see him go when clowns like Darmian and Rojo hang around like the turd that won't flush but hope he does well in Italy.

prateik

:lol: We're going to have no one left at this rate!
We have 6 CBs for 2 positions even after letting Smalling go on loan..

We need to let a few go..

This really would have been a great transfer window if we had signed a central midfielder or a great attacker.
Fredge really needs to step up...

frookydinho

Good luck Mike!!

He always cared and is a good defender. But we have to move forward, I hope he absolutely smashes it at Roma

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Strange one for me. He's a better defender than any of our other backs ups and the least injury prone.

Would rather we shifted on Jones/Rojo and Bailly when he's back fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.