Smalling / on loan to Roma 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyKills

Stuff like this makes me think Ole might be the right man for the job. He can't clear everyone out in one window but it's obvious he has identified who needs to go.

He'll do well in Serie A.
He's certainly the right man for phase 1 of the rebuild. He knows the standard required at United and is pruning the squad accordingly.

'Getting United' might not be enough for him to succeed long-term, but he's an ideal candidate to lead us through this year of transition.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Smalling a victim of this ‘passing over defending’ era we find ourselves in. Not a fan of this at all; but if we are not going to use him then it makes sense.

At this rate we should have just chartered a jet from Manchester to Italy this summer and filled it up with everyone we don’t want. At least Exctinction Rebellion would be happier than us sending a different jet every week!
They'll be a 'we hate Ole' support group setup by Lukaku, Sanchez and Mike coming to a Prezzo's in Italy near you ;)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
As is the case,when it concerns United and their recent renewals of average individuals,there is no point to it.

Complete left field move,though. I think he'll do well abroad. Overal he's a decent defender and I'll comfortably have him over Jones,Rojo and Baily.

Nice to see that we're moving on certain individuals who have overstayed their welcome.Just surprised Smalling was one of the first line to be chopped.

Maybe there just isn't enough strong interest in Rojo,Jones and Darmian. Baily's injury has obviously put a instant stop on a move.

Last edited by a moderator:

haram

Smalling a victim of this ‘passing over defending’ era we find ourselves in. Not a fan of this at all; but if we are not going to use him then it makes sense.

At this rate we should have just chartered a jet from Manchester to Italy this summer and filled it up with everyone we don’t want. At least Exctinction Rebellion would be happier than us sending a different jet every week!
You mean he’s fallen victim to us signing a better CB.

Born2Lose

Excellent news, hope Jones is next.

Baby faced assassin taking care of business which Maureen couldn't.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ole being ruthless. Would have preferred Rojo to go first but oh well.
Ole really doesn't feck about..!
Fellaini, Lukaku, Sanchez & Smalling all elbowed, and Ole is very much in tune with the supporters in identifying those players that are not going to take us forward.
I really think that Solskjaer would have show the door to Matic, Fred & Bailly too if circumstances allowed, but here's to hoping that Rojo & Darmian can be shifted too..

Now its over to you Ed, to sign the quality needed...!!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Giving away our second most reliable centre back too? I’m generously assuming Maguire will become our first.

klsv

I don't know what people want. Scream about clearing the deadwood, and when it happens, "no, not that deadwood!". If we'd need to wait for the very worst of our squad to leave first, Smalling would probably end up having a longer career at United than Giggs.

Sylar

Feel like this one might bite us in the arse. He's one of our better squad players and leaving ourselves with Tuanzebe and three crocks seems rather silly. Oh well.
He won't make the difference between 4th and 5th

Madzik_92

Why people are being happy with this? It's just a loan without option to buy. Am i missing something here about the agreement? Please do tell

Last edited by a moderator:

minoo-utd

Think Chelsea are looking for some new fans mate.
Hey It is not acceptable.
It is not the right time that's all, we need to offload half of the team but it is just not the right time, teams buy first.

You owe an apology for that shit words.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I get the Sanchez loan,but what's the point in loaning him without an option to buy? Just get rid.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Ole has no clue in transfers in tactics and apparently in the team he has in hands. It is not the right time to sell players, unless we replace. How he still keeping these injury prone cnuts and sell a good backup defender! we are in four competitions and our players miss alot of games so what he is going to do? I totally lost faith in this man.
How are we going to cope with just 6 CBS to fill two positions! Scandalous!

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Hey It is not acceptable.
It is not the right time that's all, we need to offload half of the team but it is just not the right time, teams buy first.

You owe an apology for that shit words.
So we need 7 center backs do we? And we just spent 80m on the replacement before letting him go.

Devil81

If he's going it's because they are desperate to shift players, it's not like they are actually leaving the club full time.

We have the same problem come next summer.

VanGaalEra

Feckin hell, I didn't expect all this outgoing after the window closed.

Clearing out the deadwood is good, but I would have had Jones/Rojo and Darmian in line for the bin before Smalling.

Godfather

Probably the last out of our out of cast CBs that I would have given away. Guess no one wants Rojo or Jones though.

K13

Romano e Di Marzio just said it's done. 3 ml € with no option to buy.
OK thanks - but he is currently at Carrington according to MEN.

Would be a massive shock given that Everton were refused a loan.

Zlatattack

I would have preferred Jones or Rojo to go first, but life doesn't work like that. Smalling is the better defender of the three and hence most likely to attract interest. I'm surprised though, we have a lot of games to play, we'd have probably given him decent minutes. Maybe the player wanted to be a regular somewhere? Either way no great loss.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I don't know what people want. Scream about clearing the deadwood, and when it happens, "no, not that deadwood!". If we'd need to wait for the very worst of our squad to leave first, Smalling would probably end up having a longer career at United than Giggs.
They're a strange bunch. Last season they were celebrating Smalling getting a long term deal because "he's not the worst player in the squad". Same when Mata got an extension.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Maybe Chris has asked for the loan as he will want to play and we have done our best to find him somewhere. Ole may have said Axel needs his chance. At least he isn't happy to just sit and pick up his money.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Do people realize that selling deadwood for millions of pounds is not easy? If United gets 3 million for Smalling loan, it is another sign of a sound transfer policy/structure being implemented. Best transfer window ever if Smalling and Rojo leave

settembrini

He's been a good player for us and we'd be better off keeping him instead of Jones and Rojo.

That said we've got a stupid amount of CBs right now and shifting Jones is going to be impossible so this is probably a good move. I think he will do well for them and get a permanent move somewhere next summer.

PaulRich

We need to have faith in the changes Ole is making - it wont happen overnight but we've made decent strides over this window.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
This is the first one I think Ole's gotten wrong. He's streets ahead of Rojo and Jones, a level above Bailly, and although Axel has huge potential Chris is a much more solid option.

They only thing I can think of is that Chris feels like he needs to be a guaranteed starter at this stage of his career, or that no offers came in for other squad players.

pascell

Goodbye then
I second this! Posters on here need to make up their fecking minds, last season they'd consider Smalling not good enough, now he's a must keep when its evidently clear he isn't considered good enough for the first team squad. Sick of seeing posts that we should keep player X,Y,Z when in reality, they're not contributing at all, whilst earning a nice chunk of money each week.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Obviously we would prefer Rojo and Jones to go before him but why is anybody surprised that the better player is going first? He's not in our plans either and clubs aren't going to happily take absolute dross.

The new contracts for Rojo and Jones was classic Ed. Absolute atrocious.

Champagne Football

He's a very honest professional but he is probably 7th or 8th choice central defender in the English national team. He should never have left Fulham when Hodgson was his manager there as that was his level as a player. How he lasted so long here will go down as one of footballs great mysteries.

ArjenIsM3

Ok can you rely on Bailly, Jones, Darmian and Rojo? Can Maguire and Bissaka play every game?
Dalot and Young can cover for AWB and Shaw. In case of emergency there's O'Connor/Williams/Laird who would be very happy to get some minutes. Loads of posters on here seem to think one of them should start ahead of Young anyway (I don't agree btw)

Also, don't forget about Tuanzebe.

Status
Not open for further replies.