Smalling / on loan to Roma 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

I would prefer JonesBailey to go than Smalling. Smalling is either our 2nd or 3rd best centreback behind slab head.
It's concerning. If anything happens to Maguire we are fecked. For people who don't see the point in having a CB who can head a ball last weekend was a good reminder. I thought he would be alright as 3rd choice. Tuanzebe untested at this level and Jones is a sick note. Should have been Rojo and Jones gone but as some have said, Smalling is the only one with value.

overtheborder

An injury to any of Maguire and Lindelöf leaves us with somewhat unproven Tuanzebe, often injured Jones, mostly injured Bailly and red card Rojo for the CB spots. I had hoped Smalling would start in cup games and as back up cover.
To be fair if things get desperate i'd assume the club can recall him, i wouldn't be too worried in terms of what it means for squad depth.

Devil may care

Has anyone checked to see if Ekeke is alright? Or has he travelled to Roma with his client?

Jokes aside, this is a bit of strange one, I get that Ole doesn't want him for the same reason Southgate doesn't, but given Bailly, Rojo and Jones are so injury prone it's a risky move.

cyberman

When did this forum become so indecisive? Everybody wants the deadwood gone until it comes time to actually get rid of them.
Ill bet anything he's leaving because he doesn't want to be a bench player. Simple as that imo

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Assuming Tuanzebe is the third choice CB now, so everyone is up for sale. For the players we get offers, they will be offloaded. Doubt anyone is going to offer a deal for Jones.

We shouldn't hold back just because there are 2 other worse CBs. Maybe they are all considered as not needed players.
Probably, but then if we get two injuries in our Centre Back departments (which isn't exactly an unheard phenomenon with us) then we'll have to rely on the shittier options that we didn't unload.... which does worry me a bit.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I’m not happy about this tbf. He’s definitely our third best CB, possibly second ahead of Victor. I don’t buy that Rojo is preferred over him due to friendly appearances in the summer, otherwise we wouldn’t have been considering flogging him to Everton. Jones and Bailly are permacrocks.

Anybody saying Tuanzebe is ready for the step up needs to look at Greenwood’s appearances so far, the kids are just not ready yet.

We’ve now probably weakened our attack, midfield and defence this summer and with DDG not being his old self anymore, it’s worrying.
and with that comparison you've proved you dont have a clue what you're talking about

Morpheus 7

Totally this.
Not sure how it seems accepted lindelof is the starter and tuanzebe, totally untried at this level are ahead of him.
Oh well. Let's see how it pans out.
Lindelof gave us a taster of his weakness v palace for their first goal.
Smalling has given us a taster of his weakness the last 5 years. He's good in the air and that's it, he would be destroyed in the premier league with VAR. Don't think hugging people from behind to the ground would go unpunished anymore, penalty galore. Lindelof is younger and has definitely improved in the last year. I'd rather have Smalling as cover to the other chuckle brother. Both have there moments of ridiculous decision making. Lindelof made a bad error against Palace by not winning that header, Maguire was at fault too, playing the Palace player on. When Smalling makes an error he falls on his arse while scrambling to tackle the defender. He can't play the ball out from the back. Then there is Jones, he is either doing what Smalling does, injured or scoring own goals. This is a waste of time this loan move, we should just sold him earlier in the window.

RedNed77

and with that comparison you've proved you dont have a clue what you're talking about
He made 28 appearances for Villa in the Championship, he’s now good enough to be a United centre half? Even though Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime was the star of that backline?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Probably, but then if we get two injuries in our Centre Back departments (which isn't exactly an unheard phenomenon with us) then we'll have to rely on the shittier options that we didn't unload.... which does worry me a bit.
Yes but we want to move ahead and create space for younger players, we also should take the risk and move the players on. We can't keep the players out of fear that 2 of the first choice CBs might be injured.

We have 7 CBs, we need to trim it down and we can only offload the players for whom offer is made. I think everyone agrees that Rojo should be gone before anyone, after that jones, bailly but we can't do much when they are not wanted by any clubs.

izec

We really are idiots.

Surely we could have sold him to a English club?
Not now. I assume Smalling wanted to stay and then saw he isnt even in the squad for games. Took the first opportunity to leave

Maybe next summer after the loan someone will buy him from the league

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe because there was no offers for Jones or Rojo.

If you watched any of the Pre season games as well, you would know that Rojo and Jones are ahead of Smalling in Ole's pecking order.
I did. I thought maybe Ole was giving them 1 more chance to prove what they have, considering we KNOW what Smalling brings us.

I assume it's more the fact they either; 1 have no offers. 2. Had offers but decided to stay as they're on such good money they'd rather get paid than play. 3. Ole sees them higher in the order than Smalling.

I think Smalling will actually do really well in Italy.

charlenefan

He made 28 appearances for Villa in the Championship, he’s now good enough to be a United centre half? Even though Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime was the star of that backline?
You're comparing 17 year old Mason Greenwood with 7 senior appearances to his name with a 21 year old with 43

To say because Greenwood has shown he isn't ready that means Tuanzebe isn't either is idiotic in the extreme

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's never been rated by the managers as highly as he's been rated by most folks here. This is the most obvious example of that but it was clear for a long while that the fans' pecking order didn't match up well with his last few managers for club and country. Surely it's time for people to re-evaluate...

roonster09

Scout
It's not like Tuanzebe will be starting week in week out for ManUtd. He will be squad player and at best 3rd choice CB.

He will always be unproven kid if not given the chance.
Today he is player with 28 appearance in championship, (he played well for Manutd before he was loaned out anyways), so not ready for ManUtd.
If we loan him out again to lower PL team then he will be player who played x number of games for lower team, again not ready for ManUtd.

He will never be ready for ManUtd unless he is given chances and teams like Everton, Leicester, Wolves won't be playing our young players.

flappyjay

Smalling has given us a taster of his weakness the last 5 years. He's good in the air and that's it, he would be destroyed in the premier league with VAR. Don't think hugging people from behind to the ground would go unpunished anymore, penalty galore. Lindelof is younger and has definitely improved in the last year. I'd rather have Smalling as cover to the other chuckle brother. Both have there moments of ridiculous decision making. Lindelof made a bad error against Palace by not winning that header, Maguire was at fault too, playing the Palace player on. When Smalling makes an error he falls on his arse while scrambling to tackle the defender. He can't play the ball out from the back. Then there is Jones, he is either doing what Smalling does, injured or scoring own goals. This is a waste of time this loan move, we should just sold him earlier in the window.
It's like you are describing a completely different player. And Smalling has played in plenty enough var games and no pens thus far.

Classical Mechanic

A bit of respect would be nice.

Chris Smalling played 323 times for Manchester United, the 52nd most in History. He's appeared more for us than players such as
Vidic, Ronaldo, Stapleton, Ince, and Cole. In our current squad, only David De Gea has more appearances with 365.
He's also won 2 Premier Leagues, an FA Cup, 3 Community Shields, a Europa League and he captained us to a League Cup win in 2017.

On a personal level he' was also our Players' Player of the year in 2015-2016, and has been capped by England 31 times
In his title winning seasons he started only 11 & 10 Premier League games. Sadly his rise to prominence in our team coincided with our descent into mediocrity. The Chuckle Brothers reign of terror is boil that needs lancing.

roonster09

Scout
I did. I thought maybe Ole was giving them 1 more chance to prove what they have, considering we KNOW what Smalling brings us.

I assume it's more the fact they either; 1 have no offers. 2. Had offers but decided to stay as they're on such good money they'd rather get paid than play. 3. Ole sees them higher in the order than Smalling.

He will be seen as one of the cleanest CBs there, going by how much Italian CBs pull the shirt.

Even I feel he will be good for Roma and also slow tempo means he can pick up the passes.

RedNed77

You're comparing 17 year old Mason Greenwood with 7 senior appearances to his name with a 21 year old with 43

To say because Greenwood has shown he isn't ready that means Tuanzebe isn't either is idiotic in the extreme
If you’re telling me you’d prefer a CB partnership of Lindelof and Tuanzebe against a City or Liverpool rather than Smalling, there’s only one idiot here.

Experience is essential and we’re rapidly getting rid of it all in one summer.

charlenefan

If you’re telling me you’d prefer a CB partnership of Lindelof and Tuanzebe against a City or Liverpool rather than Smalling, there’s only one idiot here.
I'm not telling you that, I'm telling you that your comparison of Greenwood to Tuanzebe is idiotic. I'm not sure why in both your replies now you're trying to skirt away from that? Is it because you've been found out?

Smores

I don't rate him that highly but this seems a very odd decision by the club. Will believe it when confirmed

Bwuk

He'll do better in Italy as the game is slower and he's less likely to be pressed when on the ball.

Glad Ole is gutting the deadwood. It'd be better to keep him around than Jones etc, but we clearly don't have anyone after them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He will be seen as one of the cleanest CBs there, going by how much Italian CBs pull the shirt.

Even I feel he will be good for Roma and also slow tempo means he can pick up the passes.
Yep. They don't seem to press much in Italy and prefer containing from deep which will suit him much better.

Morpheus 7

It's like you are describing a completely different player. And Smalling has played in plenty enough var games and no pens thus far.
Aye he's class we should keep him, maybe he'll get better after his loan:lol: If you never noticed Smalling and his grabbing in the box, you must not have seen him play much.

manunited1919

So Harry Kane won’t be in his pocket anymore. We’ll see if his pocket is strong enough to hold Ronaldo.

rotherham_red

When did this forum become so indecisive? Everybody wants the deadwood gone until it comes time to actually get rid of them.
Ill bet anything he's leaving because he doesn't want to be a bench player. Simple as that imo
Short answer: they're bed wetters.

They wouldn't have lasted a day during 2005...

manunited1919

Aye he's class we should keep him, maybe he'll get better after his loan:lol: If you never noticed Smalling and his grabbing in the box, you must not have seen him play much.
If he has a record of zero pens under VAR, who cares if he grabs? All good defenders grab onto players.

izec

Not a loss. Rojo and Bailly next please. Then we need to add another new CB in the summer and it would look okish

romufc

Agreed, but we needed to get rid of one CB. I think Ole wants Jones in there because he can play LCB and play a bit of football. Rojo because no one wants him and he can fill in LB.

Smalling will do well there, they play his style.

Status
Not open for further replies.