Smalling / on loan to Roma 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric's Seagull

So what? We play a system with 2 CBs. It is not worth it to have Smalling in the squad if all he can hope for is some 5 appearances a season against opposition like Macclesfield Town etc, better give those to a reserves youngster.
I would rather have him around as if we have an injury or two and we have to Jones or Rojo and also Rojo's disciplinary record isn't very good with 22 cards in 73 appearences.

pawanraj

Looks like I am one of the few who puts Jones ahead of Smalling. He's a better passer than Smalling, esp. when looking for a long pass. He can also play in the midfield, which is a boon given our current midfield situation. Plus (and this is probably a small point), Smalling gets very handsy while defending - which, given VAR, is dangerous.

The only thing I think we lose with Smalling, is aerial ability. I feel a lot more assured when Smalling goes up for a header than when Jones does.

I'm guessing that a 20 start season would be slightly less taxing on Jones injury wise, since he will be starting behind Maguire and Lindelof. If Ole is around next season, I think we will get another solid defender, and get rid of Rojo and Bailly, so that Jones can be 4th choice.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Was about to post this too, I think he'll love Italy where pure defending means more than anything. Plus... he'll be living in the most beautiful city in the World where they adore their footballers.

Love seeing English players try their luck abroad, think he'll do great and they or another Italien club will pay a very decent fee to keep him in Serie A.
100% this, word for word.

Probably too soon for him, but it's AS Roma v Lazio on Sunday(17:00), now that would be a Baptism of Fire.

Zoo

What are the odds on him scoring more goals then Sanchez over there?

Scholsey2004

Looks like I am one of the few who puts Jones ahead of Smalling. He's a better passer than Smalling, esp. when looking for a long pass. He can also play in the midfield, which is a boon given our current midfield situation. Plus (and this is probably a small point), Smalling gets very handsy while defending - which, given VAR, is dangerous.

The only thing I think we lose with Smalling, is aerial ability. I feel a lot more assured when Smalling goes up for a header than when Jones does.

I'm guessing that a 20 start season would be slightly less taxing on Jones injury wise, since he will be starting behind Maguire and Lindelof. If Ole is around next season, I think we will get another solid defender, and get rid of Rojo and Bailly, so that Jones can be 4th choice.
The problem with jones, other than the injuries, obviously, is that he's barely six feet tall. That's pretty short for a centre back who isn't Baresi quality. Obviously if you're shorter than the forwards you're up against then they'll likely beat you in the air on a regular basis. You can't really coach somebody to be taller.

Eric's Seagull

According to the MEN he's close to a move to Serie A too, no name of the club.
Really hoping this is true as I thought this was the summer he would definitely be off but I thought a similar thing last summer. I've heard Juve were interested as a replacement for Cancelo, also heard Inter were interested but sources weren't reliable so can only hope he goes soon.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
hopefully he gets lost on the way and that's the last we ever see of him (can he sneak Jones into his luggage and lose that en route too?)

red4ever 79

Would have preferred to see Rojo /Jones/ Bailly leave first but as other people pointed out no one is probably interested in those and we have too many defenders.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
Not amazing but probably the best we can get...anything to help our defence is welcome

Kostur

海尔的老板
I presume that it's down to them being so fecking shite there were no takers but it seems questionable at the very least to get rid of Smalling ahead of other 3 injury prone CBs.

Eleven-Eighteen

This stinks of the Glazers trying to get as much off the wage bill to maximise profit margins, especially since we are missing out on the CL money.
Way to turn my head from thinking this was a good piece of news for once.

Can't disagree with you, seeing as it's pure conjecture. But believable conjecture.

At the same time though, getting rid of a CB when we have too many means that I don't care if the Glazers make more money in the process. He was surplus to requirements and has been sent away. Win-win.

Stadjer

Would have prefer Rojo to leave but getting rid of one surplus CB is a start. Bailly/Jones & Tuanzebe as back ups until next summer. Next summer buy a world class cb and keep Lindelof + Tuanzebe as back up options?

Now just find clubs crazy enough to buy Sanchez, Mata, Matic, Jones, Bailly and Darmian...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
There’s no way Ole would rather Jones and Rojo over Smalling, he’s a far better player. Seems like they’d have been fecked off too if there were any takers, which there clearly wasn’t.

RedDevil@84

There’s no way Ole would rather Jones and Rojo over Smalling, he’s a far better player. Seems like they’d have been fecked off too if there were any takers, which there clearly wasn’t.
The way I see it is that Jones/Rojo were pretty happy to stick around. Smalling didn't want a backup role, because he felt he was good enough to be a first teamer.
And of course, no one were ready to take Jones/Rojo off our hands. Smalling at least was a decent player.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Big mistake. Solskjaer's gonna regret this big time when the defenders get injured one after another and when it finally dawns on everyone that Tuanzebe isn't good enough to walk into the side.

But then Smalling is way too good not to be playing so I can understand why he would want to jump the ship and join a club where he's probably gonna be appreciated by the fans.

starman

This is a suprise, would have expected it to be Rojo to be the first one out of the door. I guess Rojo offers the benefit of being a natural LCB and can cover LB, especially with Shaw out, so might have decided to keep him, or that no one wants him....

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I think, if fit, Jones is the pick of the three of them. Not that he’s particularly great.

Smalling just doesn’t have the ball playing chops to cut it.

Alemar

If Maguire isn’t injured, we don’t need to rotate him apart from some visibly shite opposition. As such, we only need to rotate 1 CB. We may easily offload Rojo as well now, in addition to Smalling, and be absolutely fine

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Big mistake. Solskjaer's gonna regret this big time when the defenders get injured one after another and when it finally dawns on everyone that Tuanzebe isn't good enough to walk into the side.

But then Smalling is way too good not to be playing so I can understand why he would want to jump the ship and join a club where he's probably gonna be appreciated by the fans.
Smalling is shit. Always has been and shining in a time of mediocrity means nothing.

This stinks of the Glazers trying to get as much off the wage bill to maximise profit margins, especially since we are missing out on the CL money.
Way to turn my head from thinking this was a good piece of news for once.

Can't disagree with you, seeing as it's pure conjecture. But believable conjecture.

At the same time though, getting rid of a CB when we have too many means that I don't care if the Glazers make more money in the process. He was surplus to requirements and has been sent away. Win-win.
Does it really @Ole90+3?

FOUR senior central defenders
and Darmian haven't even made a matchday squad yet and getting rid of one is "Glazers trying to get as much off the wage bill to maximise profit margins"... come one people ffs.

Quite clearly Smalling wants this and rightfully so, it's a smart move for everyone.

Last edited:

Robertd0803

Ok.....would have been the last defender out of Jones/Rojo/Darmian Id have got rid of but guess no takers for the others.

Anyway wish him well, its an interesting move for him personally to say the least.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Good riddance. It's a sign of our mediocre years that Smalling lasted as long as he did.

Wes Brown was a better center back and was never a starter for us in his preferred position for as long as Smalling got.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I'm glad it's a loan with no option to buy. He's a solid defender, and I'd rather have him as back up. Hope we can get rid of the others.

Hope he has a great season.

RedCurry

A bit silly thing to do. Even at his worst he would be a solid third defender for us.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I would have preferred to offload Jones and Rojo instead of him to be honest but it would have probably not been that easy. We still have too many center backs though so hopefully we find a buyer (or a loan partner) for Rojo. I don't have much hopes getting rid of Jones.

Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly and Tuanzebe should be our center half rotation.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What are the odds on him scoring more goals then Sanchez over there?
I thought this was some joke and checked their league goals, Smalling scored 4 since Sanchez signed, Sanchez scored 3. :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Shareholders get the same proportion of turnovers, it changes nothing for them.

Shimo

Color me wrong. I was certain that he'd end up back in the XI. While I don't agree, same as when Southgate has ignored him because the weak defensive but, more ball playing defenders tend to give up crucial goals, credit to both that they have picture in their mind of what they want from their CBs and are going to stick to them.

He'll do well there I think.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Smalling, Jones and Rojo should all be gone.

In absence of the understandable lack of interest in either Jones or Rojo, I'm glad Smalling is finally fecking off from this club.

This is positive people, we're finally getting something done about our awful defenders.

stu_1992

Well this is a very random one. Wouldn't have expected that one. In an ideal world I would move Rojo or Jones, even Bailly, a longtime before Smalling. But one's injured and I guess no one wants the other two for cost it would take. All four could move on and I wouldn't shed a tear though so I can't say I'm disappointed, I'm just surprised it looks like Smalling is the first out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.