Smalling / on loan to Roma 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgar allan

This will be a circular conversation unless, we'll see a big picture.

Yes, he's better than Rojo and Jones and that's probably most underwhelming achievement I ever heard for supposedly a quality defender.
I see one big picture......the Glaziers are getting a few more pound off their wage bill

edcunited1878

This will be a circular conversation unless, we'll see a big picture.

Yes, he's better than Rojo and Jones and that's probably most underwhelming achievement I ever heard for supposedly a quality defender.
More like a statement of fact rather than achievement. The fact that Roma wants Smalling shows some quality and value in Smalling. Let's see what happens to Rojo, Jones and Bailly...but I doubt either will want to move.

edgar allan

Yes and we have seven centre backs which big portion of them is of questionable quality.
The bottom 3 of the 7 I would give away for nothing as they have nothing positive to contribute.

Can't believe I am defending Smalling, but I still think we need him as the 3rd or 4th choice given the number of games we will be playing.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
More like a statement of fact rather than achievement. The fact that Roma wants Smalling shows some quality and value in Smalling. Let's see what happens to Rojo, Jones and Bailly...but I doubt either will want to move.
I hope we have bigger standards than Roma and I'm glad we're offering them Smalling.

Value is one thing and I think Ole sold Lukaku because of the similar problems Smalling has. Didn't play one game in pre-season probably because United are trying to play differently now.

The bottom 3 of the 7 I would give away for nothing as they have nothing positive to contribute.

Can't believe I am defending Smalling, but I still think we need him as the 3rd or 4th choice given the number of games we will be playing.
Maybe you were conditioned to defend him because you've lost hope that United could have better players.

I respect views of people defending Smalling, btw. If he stays I want him to contribute something but for that to happen club needs to probably sack Ole.

reddevil702

Very surprised by this as I thought Bailly or Rojo would go first. It means Ole really is committed to Tuanzebe as the 3rd choice, which I'm all for. Even though it's a loan, I don't see him having a place at United next season, really think we've seen the last of smalling in a United shirt. Glad Ole is being ruthless and moving players on that are not in his plans instead of just keeping an over inflated roster.

Omahahaha

Really random to see him joining a Serie A club. Would rather had gotten rid of Rojo/Jones/Bailly.
Will be interesting to see how he will get on in Italy, best of luck!

RG 11

This came out of nowhere. Would've been the least likely defender to move, I thought.

AshRK

All the best to him. He is not a bad defender but I feel the time had come for us to part ways with him.

Champagne Football

I'm delighted he's going and it's a good move for him. Smalling, more than any other, represents the mentally weak collection of players that have been stealing a living here for far too long.

Roma is his level. He will do well there and build a decent reputation there.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
This is surprising. I wouldn't let Smalling go.

I guess nobody wants Rojo or Darmian?

redshaw

I wish him luck in Italy

Not the one I'd want to go but he probably won't want to be a backup player. Would've liked to have seen him alongside Maguire but seems Ole doesn't fancy him and I feel his lack of passing ability has cost him.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I wish him luck in Italy

Not the one I'd want to go but he probably won't want to be a backup player. Would've liked to have seen him alongside Maguire but seems Ole doesn't fancy him and I feel his lack of passing ability has cost him.
He should be under less pressure there. I'm hoping a new environment with new coaches might help him technically.
Wish him luck.

WireMUFC

I’ll be glad when he’s gone tbh, been the main one I’ve wanted rid of for years now. Don’t dislike the bloke just don’t think he’s good enough for United. Maybe Italy will suit his strengths more.

Utter liability on the ball and overrated defensively, in my opinion, as he's inconsistent and prone to switching off.

But on his day no doubt he can do the defensive side of the game well and he's been a decent servant for us. Professional etc. All the best to him and I hope he does well enough for them to want him permanently next season.

It's a shame that we tend to hang onto players so long that it gets to the point where we almost celebrate them leaving.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Surprised Smalling is first out, given the dross we've got. At least one of Rojo, Jones or Bailly should have gone first.

But clearly Ole sees him as the worst of the lot so fair dos, though the fitness records of the other 3 are a bigger concern to me. Smalling is dependable, if somewhat flawed.

edcunited1878

I'm delighted he's going and it's a good move for him. Smalling, more than any other, represents the mentally weak collection of players that have been stealing a living here for far too long.

Roma is his level. He will do well there and build a decent reputation there.
I don't think he's mentality weak, just isn't as good or consistently good as everyone thought he could be. He had his fair share of really good to class performances though and some bad moments, but not as many as some would say.

He had injections in his foot to be able to be selected by Mourinho. He got flack because he was injured against Hull or Leicester and couldn't move. Cue Maguire coming in back stick and heading in a late goal.

Smalling is better than the majority of people give him credit for, but he's not a world beater either.

Just so odd people give Rojo, Bailly and Jones a pass.

Jimmy_Bond

Surprised Smalling is first out, given the dross we've got. At least one of Rojo, Jones or Bailly should have gone first.

But clearly Ole sees him as the worst of the lot so fair dos, though the fitness records of the other 3 are a bigger concern to me. Smalling is dependable, if somewhat flawed.
I don't think he does, but you can't make people sign your dross nor decide in what order they leave. I think Bailly is the best of the bunch when fit, but Jones and Rojo need to go sooner rather than later.

-Supreme-

I don't think he does, but you can't make people sign your dross nor decide in what order they leave. I think Bailly is the best of the bunch when fit, but Jones and Rojo need to go sooner rather than later.
Exactly, the moaners should take note

Khalifa711

I'd keep him over Jones, Rojo and even Bailly. Best defender from that bunch, I guess that's why hes the first 1 out

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The club gave Rojo and Jones new contracts. They dug their own hole by making them harder to shift. They could have had some sort of control in getting rid of the dross before Smalling if they wanted. Even letting them leave for free would be better value than keeping them and not playing them.

Still not sure what it is that Bailly has done to still be considered any good though. He might be the worst header of the ball in the squad.

Andy_Cole

Actually think he’s the best of the lot, and hence the only one any club would be interested in.

Jimmy_Bond

Actually think he’s the best of the lot, and hence the only one any club would be interested in.
Don't forget that Everton tired to sign Rojo and Arsenal wanted Bailly. Think it's our demands for these players causing the problems rather than finding suitors.

RedDevil@84

So why don’t we then move Rojo, Jones, Darmian? They are even worse players
1. Nobody wants them
2. They are happy to be 3rd or 4th choice.
3. They dont want to move out to get game time

And I am not even talking about the time they keep hospitals/doctors busy.

cruseofried

Good stuff, any minutes we would have given to him should go to Tuanzebe
Agreed, Tuanzebe deserves a shout. Lindelof isn't looking that clever of late, cue 1st goal for palace although to be fair, neither Maguire or Wan Bissaka gave him any cover.

desirere

Hopefully. I'm all for trusting youth but it's a 2 edged sword.
Anything bar relegation goes for me this season(and next), Ole can take it easy and finish the damn job, blood in youngsters and get rid of the deadwood, then buy the players we need when finished. Too much time has been lost trying to do everything at the same time.

roseguy64

The problem is that his constant hoofing of the ball makes his aerial ability a necessity due to putting us under immense pressure. That goes for Young and de Gea as well, but hopefully the latter can stop doing that now that we've two comfortable CBs playing.

I'm glad that Ole's recognised this.
I rarely see him hoofing it. The most he does is clear it out of play or do like Lindelof and play the safest pass to a teammate but less aesthetically pleasing.

roseguy64

He's never been rated by the managers as highly as he's been rated by most folks here. This is the most obvious example of that but it was clear for a long while that the fans' pecking order didn't match up well with his last few managers for club and country. Surely it's time for people to re-evaluate...
Not sure what you mean here. He always forced himself into the first XI and stayed there regardless of whichever CBs came back from injury/found form. Explaining why that was usually the case and not him starting as first choice I can't say. The defence would improve when he came in.

roseguy64

It's like you are describing a completely different player. And Smalling has played in plenty enough var games and no pens thus far.
I do sometimes wonder if people have lumped Smalling and Jones together so much that he gets blame for what Jones does.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Who is signing Jones though? Bailly gets injured before gathering up enough form to garner any interest and Rojo seems to have little or no interest. It’s the fact that Smalling is the best of that bunch, is the reason he’s actually possible to move on. Add to the fact he’s pony with the ball at his feet and that doesn’t suit our style now, it makes perfect sense to get him out.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Because the other players are injury prone/not very good.
Except Maguire, Lindelof and Tuanzebe. So we have three CBs to play back up to the back up. City have 3 CBs. Just let that sink in.

Alemar

Except Maguire, Lindelof and Tuanzebe. So we have three CBs to play back up to the back up. City have 3 CBs. Just let that sink in.
That’s the thing. We can easily offload Smalling AND Rojo/Jones without any concerns whatsover, and Darmian, and also Mata.

Status
Not open for further replies.