Smalling / on loan to Roma 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldyella

Sure, was always obvious to me that Smalling was the one reserve CB with the right ambition to say "feck that". It's a good decision for all.
Cheers. Yeah, fair play to him, backed himself to go elsewhere rather than sit in our stand collecting his paycheck.

..... bundled by our fans as “Smalling and Jones” “the clowns” or “chucle brothers” even though your defending is on a much higher level than Jones, and lately being demoted from first team to 5th in line by OGS.
Always annoyed me that. He was decent enough but always got lumped in with Calamity Jones for some reason

Smalling, Rojo and Jones are all equally shite. If players are not good enough, it is not up to Man Utd to distinguish between the grades of shite, seriously. We need to have a better squad
He wasnt shite, come on. Jones and Rojo (and probably Bailley, jury is out) are shite. Smalling was functional I guess, could be relied upon to do a job, but we now need a bit more than that.

Personally think we will miss him at some point. Not convinced by Lindelof, think Tuanzebe will take his spot before season is out.

marktan

Been our most consistent CB post SAF. If he was good on the ball he'd be world class, because his defending is top notch. I think he'll do well wherever he ends up.

slir32

Not this again...

He's played plenty of games under VAR, against some very good players, and not been found out.

We have too many defenders now with Tuanzebe not going on loan and Maguire being brought in. We probably had one too many even before that so needed to move some on. Smalling is being loaned out as he actually can stay fit and is a decent defender if not the best on the ball.

Fair fecks to him, could easily have stayed in his comfort zone picking up his wage with us like plenty of others but looks like he's open to moving for game time.
This is the first season the PL has had VAR.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Pleased for him. He is good enough to get regular first team football at a good European side Roma is a great place for him to get that.

Selfishly I’d rather we kept him and got rid of Rojo as I think Smalling is our 3rd best defender (shame he’s not confident on the ball).

Either way we’re making space and saving money wages paid in full and a small loan fee good but of business from United and hopefully this means Tuanzebe will get regular game time as he’s a better ball playing CB.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Pleased for him. He is good enough to get regular first team football at a good European side Roma is a great place for him to get that.

Selfishly I’d rather we kept him and got rid of Rojo as I think Smalling is our 3rd best defender (shame he’s not confident on the ball).

Either way we’re making space and saving money wages paid in full and a small loan fee good but of business from United and hopefully this means Tuanzebe will get regular game time as he’s a better ball playing CB.
Saving wages from crap players is a great thing as long as it gets reinvested back into the team, this clearly hasn't happened this year and money saved is going back into the Glazers pockets. Don't think any fan should be celebrating that.

Ole90+3

No it won't because he is still on the book for the next seasons. For investors it's meaningless, the only thing that is significant from their POV is our ability to increase prize and sponsorship money. Getting rid of Smalling and the others is only a good move for the club because the club gets around 95% of the money spared.
How can it be a good thing for the club when United drop points due to inadequate defensive cover? By all means get rid of the rest of the free loaders but Smalling had a purpose in the squad.

Alemar

if people continue to be upset about Smalling leaving, it is indicative of them willing to be a mid-table team. OGS needs to be ruthless

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Anyone remember the days of Smalldini & Evansbauer? We were all so optimistic back then that replacing Rio & Vidic would be a piece of piss.

Rafael, Smalling, Evans & Fabio, with Jones in DM was supposed to be our back 5 for a decade! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.