Smart buys post fergie?

Lee565

Considering how wasteful we have been in transfer market since ferguson left, How many of our transfers that we have made since fergie left would you class as smart buys or have the potential to be one?

van der beek
Blind
Ibrahimovic
Romero
Valdes
darmian should have been considering he only cost us around 12-13 million and could have easily recouped that money had someone been proactive in selling him on instead of just allowing him to rot on the bench/in reserves under mourinho.

Tiber

Considering how wasteful we have been in transfer market since ferguson left, How many of our transfers that we have made since fergie left would you class as smart buys or have the potential to be one?

van der beek
Blind
Ibrahimovic
Romero
Valdes
darmian should have been considering he only cost us around 12-13 million and could have easily recouped that money had someone been proactive in selling him on instead of just allowing him to rot on the bench/in reserves under mourinho.

What a weird list.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Sanchez, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Di Maria and probably a few others all had potential to become a smart buy in the same way Valdes and Darmian did.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What the heck is Darmian doing on that list?
Van De Beek? Played half a game?
Valdes?

Lee565

Blind? Darmian? Valdes? VdB has played one game :lol:
blind gave us great service for just 12 million, valdes was free and was at the time still a very good goalkeeper but fell out with van Gaal, I say did say potential smart buys and that us why I included van der beek because even if he struggled at the club over the next few years we could still easily recoup the money back on considering the modest amount he cost us.
What a weird list.
Very constructive

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Romero is the only smart buy for me because it's smart to not pay a transfer fee for a backup goalie.

Lee565

What the heck is Darmian doing on that list?
Van De Beek? Played half a game?
Valdes?
Did you not read that I said darmian could have been but we just allowed him to rot on the bench for a few seasons and killed his resale value

Raw

To be honest nearly all our signings seemed like smart signings. They were brought in to fill a gap in the team that we needed. There hasn't been many signings where I thought "why the feck are we buying him" because at the time they seemed like a great choice on paper.

Truly thought Schmidfield would revolutionise us. Christ that was shit.

Cassidy

Did you not read that I said darmian could have been but we just allowed him to rot on the bench for a few seasons and killed his resale value
Because he was shite
Any money no matter how small spent on a shite player (like Dan James) is a never a smart buy

Stretender

van der beek
Blind
Ibrahimovic
Romero
Valdes
What have you been smoking man? Don't look at the price. Look at impact. On impact alone and relative to the price, there is no contest. Its Obrigado Mr Bruno Fernandezzzzzzzz!

Lee565

Because he was shite
And yet we just allowed him to rot on the bench for a couple of season instead of being proactive and moving him on when Mourinho came in and we would have been able to recoup the money back on him

Cassidy

And yet we just allowed him to rot on the bench for a couple of season instead of being proactive and moving him on when Mourinho came in and we would have been able to recoup the money back on him
What has that got to do with him being a smart buy or not?
He was shite and we found it hard to get anyone to take him off our hands due to the wages we were paying him (another reason why it was a stupid signing btw)
In the end we practically had to give him away

Fussball13251

Van der beek will be a good signing. Already has a goal and believe me more will come.

Bruno, Martial, Romero...could maybe make a case for Shaw or Matic, at a push.

Poor state of affairs across 15 windows.

IWat

I hesitate to call any of them "smart", if you throw enough poo at the wall, some will stick.

Valdes! That’s one of our worst, most self indulgent transfers in a very long time. He didn’t in any way deserve a contract. Appalling.

Ibra was a good buy.

Then you have a 2nd choice goalkeeper, and someone who has played 35 minutes for the first team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Vdb? He played only 30 minutes ffs.
Romero and Zlatan were smart buys. And Zaha and Depay but we ruined that by selling them too early

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
To be honest nearly all our signings seemed like smart signings. They were brought in to fill a gap in the team that we needed. There hasn't been many signings where I thought "why the feck are we buying him" because at the time they seemed like a great choice on paper.

Truly thought Schmidfield would revolutionise us. Christ that was shit.
Had high hopes for Schneiderlin but Schweinsteiger was obviously past his peak.

GenZRed

Romero.

That is all.

I hope VdB comes good though. Magure hasn't been an £80 million player in my opinion but I still think things can work out with him.

Sylar

Fernandes was the catalyst for us getting CL football. He's defo at the top

Cassidy

Daley Blind (14m) very good player for us in multiple positions. Left us and went on to reach a UCL semi final showing his quality (stupid sale)

Bruno Fernandes

Ibrahimovic (on a free and ended up being one of the seasons top scorers) and gave a bit of time for Rashford and Martial to develop further. Shame the manager didn't see it that way with those 2 though

Nicolarra90

Maybe some of the under 18 will be in a few years.

Martial and Pogba are too inconsistent, Bruno is too soon to judge and hopefully Maguire turns it with another partner.

Jezpeza

Once we sign a player and they flap it no one is going to pay more than two balloons and a Goldfish for them. Its why i’ve laughed time and again at the notion we can sell all out deadwood for 100 million quid

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Martial was a tad too expensive but I still think he was a smart buy.

Paul_Scholes18

We have not bought someone for cheap that has turned up better than expected.
The closest ones are probably Shaw, AWB and Lindelöf, but they are still pretty average.
I think Herrera was a good buy too.

Cassidy

We have not bought someone for cheap that has turned up better than expected.
The closest ones are probably Shaw, AWB and Lindelöf, but they are still pretty average.
I think Herrera was a good buy too.
Blind

hungrywing

Even more telling than just looking at our transfers could be to look at 25m-and-under transfers across all clubs that turned out to be great buys.

If we look at our 'hit/miss' ratio in conjunction with the ones we missed out on, it'd potentially show us where we lie in comparison with other clubs.

Foxbatt

Darmian was a good player who played regularly for Italy and for some odd reason never worked for us in the long term.