Music Smashing Pumpkins

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I've been listening to Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie a lot over the last week or so, really good albums with loads of great songs. I've just finished listening to Adore in full for the first time and I really liked that a lot, different from the others, but really nice.

Dan

I've been listening to Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie a lot over the last week or so, really good albums with loads of great songs. I've just finished listening to Adore in full for the first time and I really liked that a lot, different from the others, but really nice.

I always liked the live versions of Tear from Adore.

Eriku

Really? Right that's it I'm deleting their albums and destroying my CDs :mad:
Whut? PHYSICAL MEDIA?! Dinosaur much?

On a serious note, I was never the biggest fan, but definitely a good band. The album that aligned the most with my tastes was Machina. At least at the time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A band whose reputation seems to have dimmed somewhat since the 90's, partially because of Billy Corgan is Billy Corgan.

Still love a lot of their stuff though, Siamese Dream and Adore particularly. :drool:

Morpheus 7

True alternative rock, a band I've adored for years. Siamese Dream, Gish, melancholy and infinite sadness, Adore, Machina in that order. The new stuff Billy Pumpkin is pumping out under there name is meh, going to be interesting with James Iha back. I'm happy but equally devastated as he's not performing with A Perfect Circle in Berlin next month. The band confirmed they have just completed 8 new tracks to be released soon. Closest we will get to the original lineup, D'Arcy is a lost cause I think unfortunately.

@Olly I would check out the tracks 'There it goes' and 'Bleed' if your a fan. Pisces Iscariot has some good b sides and outakes but a few gems got away.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
True alternative rock, a band I've adored for years. Siamese Dream, Gish, melancholy and infinite sadness, Adore, Machina in that order. The new stuff Billy Pumpkin is pumping out under there name is meh, going to be interesting with James Iha back. I'm happy but equally devastated as he's not performing with A Perfect Circle in Berlin next month. The band confirmed they have just completed 8 new tracks to be released soon. Closest we will get to the original lineup, D'Arcy is a lost cause I think unfortunately.

@Olly I would check out the tracks 'There it goes' and 'Bleed' if your a fan. Pisces Iscariot has some good b sides and outakes but a few gems got away.
Cool thanks, I'll check them out :)

Acole9

Outstanding

Yeah D'Arcy was never going to rejoin. I've seen photos of what she looks like now, don't do drugs guys and girls.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Siamese Dream is the only LP I can listen to front to back. Great record. Other than that, theres a good few songs I like on their own,but none of the full length albums do anything for me.

I love the song 'Dross' but I have no idea what it's from. Downloaded it from Napster many, many years ago (2000ish?). It doesn't seem to be on any album, I don't think? I think the mp3 file I have is still the original one from Napster, as its been transferred from several mp3 players. It still pops and skips right at the end, as the original one I downloaded did. Cool story bro etc.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Siamese Dream is the only LP I can listen to front to back. Great record. Other than that, theres a good few songs I like on their own,but none of the full length albums do anything for me.

I love the song 'Dross' but I have no idea what it's from. Downloaded it from Napster many, many years ago (2000ish?). It doesn't seem to be on any album, I don't think? I think the mp3 file I have is still the original one from Napster, as its been transferred from several mp3 players. It still pops and skips right at the end, as the original one I downloaded did. Cool story bro etc.
It's on their sixth album - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machina_II/The_Friends_&_Enemies_of_Modern_Music

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I like Disarm. Not sure which album it's from.

Edgio

Tonight Tonight, 1979, Zero, Bullet With Butterfly Wings and Disarm would all be in my personal top 100 tunes ever. However, Billy Corgan is an absolute cnut.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Oh forgot bullet with butterfly wings. What a title.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Pretty sure he wrote disarm when he was like 15. Such a talent.

Agreed w all above Siamese Dream is their best album, but I like a bunch of singles from later stuff more. Stand Inside your Love is one of my favs not mentioned on here.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Siamese Dream was my favorite album for the majority of my youth, but I have trouble going back to it. Not sure if it hasn't aged well, or I haven't.

Still listen to Gish, though. Bury Me, Rhinoceros, Siva, Tristessa... all good stuff.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Saw them live in 2007, at a Live Earth concert organized by Al Gore. Didn't they split up and join back again? Must have been one of the early performances after they joined back because I was pumped to see them and they didn't do a lot of their best hits. Still they were great performers, mind you. They were given a better slot than Bon Jovi in New Jersey which was literally Bon Jovi's backyard. Good stuff.

kentafuji

I always thought the songs and studio tracks were 100% Corgan, and the rest of the lineup were "just" a stage band?
No, the rest of the band recorded in the studio. Atleast the classic line up with Iha, D'arcy and Chamberlain

I think the misconception comes because Corgan apparently redid alot of the guitar and bass for Siamese dream, so its led people to believe he recorded it all.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
No, the rest of the band recorded in the studio. Atleast the classic line up with Iha, D'arcy and Chamberlain

I think the misconception comes because Corgan apparently redid alot of the guitar and bass for Siamese dream, so its led people to believe he recorded it all.
I may have been misguided by some YouTube piece on them, or by that bit in the Wikipedia article:
"Melissa Auf der Maur commented upon news of the group's reunion, "Everyone knows Billy doesn't need too many people to make a Pumpkins record, other than Jimmy [Chamberlin]—who he has on board."[

Whatever :)

btw highly recommended:

kentafuji

I may have been misguided by some YouTube piece on them, or by that bit in the Wikipedia article:
"Melissa Auf der Maur commented upon news of the group's reunion, "Everyone knows Billy doesn't need too many people to make a Pumpkins record, other than Jimmy [Chamberlin]—who he has on board."[

Whatever :)

btw highly recommended:

I think ultimately it a bit of both.

He could easily record an album without others help, as he did that with Zeitgeist, and possibly the other newer stuff. So, she is right in that sense

@Olly is right. Gish was definitely mostly, if not all him, and he did apparently record alot of the bass/guitar stuff for siamese dream from what i recall reading, but stuff like Melon Collie and Adore were more collaborative efforts from the band I believe.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
I think ultimately it a bit of both.

He could easily record an album without others help, as he did that with Zeitgeist, and possibly the other newer stuff. So, she is right in that sense
I think we can agree upon that the Pumpkins were less a conglomeration of equals creating songs together than a one-mastermind sort of band?

All the more amazing they were considered to be one of the best live acts ever!