Music Smashing Pumpkins

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I thought it was alright. Nothing amazing or anything, but a decent enough song.

I'm not crazy about it, but man, the drums on that track are killer, specifically in the chorus and then the breakdown at the end. Is it still Jimmy who drums for them?
Yeah it's the original lineup minus D'arcy. I'm not sure if the other guy whose name I forget is still on guitar.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm not crazy about it, but man, the drums on that track are killer, specifically in the chorus and then the breakdown at the end. Is it still Jimmy who drums for them?
Best drummer of that generation, bar the guy from Tool and Dave Grohl. Though I’m a guitar player not a drummer, so take that with a grain of salt.

I forget who it was but some producer said Geek USA was the best drum performance he’d ever heard.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Heard Billy Corgan and James Iha getting interviewed by Howard Stern this morning. Billy Corgan is insufferable. Always comes across as an arrogant douchebag whenever I hear him speak.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Best drummer of that generation, bar the guy from Tool and Dave Grohl. Though I’m a guitar player not a drummer, so take that with a grain of salt.

I forget who it was but some producer said Geek USA was the best drum performance he’d ever heard.
Ha. Same. I also play guitar, but like to think I know everything about the drums, despite being hopeless when I sit infront of a kit.

Grohl always seems to be a drummer guitar players like but drummers don't. I like his simplicity, it's rhythmic more than flashy, and he's a hard hitter, which is an understated quality.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I'm listening to Machina/The Machines of God for the first time. I wasn't sure what to expect given the mixed reviews, but I really like it so far.

Acole9

Outstanding
Heard Billy Corgan and James Iha getting interviewed by Howard Stern this morning. Billy Corgan is insufferable. Always comes across as an arrogant douchebag whenever I hear him speak.
It's common knowledge that he's a prat.

Edgio

By all accounts a horrible man. Flashes of genius in his music though.

beedoubleyou

Loving the new song, great to have them back.

I always think Corgan comes across as quite a thoughtful soul, I like him.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Am a drummer, Jimmy is outrageous. If you're curious about how technically good he is, check out his side project stuff where he's basically into insane jazz. Jimmy plays beats with excellent musicality mixed with sheer force and generally I love what he does because it not only fits but is also definitely him and impressive.

Danny Carey (Tool) on the other hand is like some strange alien that hears things in a different way to us mere mortals, and long ago abandoned any sense of common rhythm or time signatures in favour of just melting other drummers minds. I love what Jimmy does but I can generally replicate it if not 'hear' exactly what is going on. Some of the Tool stuff requires 20 minute videos to explain like 15 seconds of actual playing. He's absolute monster.

Sorry for the aside. Most musical drummer of this generation is Carter Beauford from DMB, even if you hate their music. And Dave Grohl is okay. Most semi-competent drummers can play virtually anything from Nirvana and the Foo. But Dave is consummate professional, awesome to play with, has great energy and by all accounts is basically worth having around at all times just because he improves all bands. He's like the Anderson of musicians. ;)

Classical Mechanic

@Olly

Have you ever listened to Maynard James Keenan’s stuff? He’s one of the very best artists in the alt rock/metal genre in my opinion.

Puscifer’s ‘Conditions of my Parole’, A Perfect Circle’s ‘Mer De Noms’ and Tool’s ‘Ænima’ are good starting points.

stepic

got tickets to their London show later this year, will be the first time ive seen them live. cant wait. Siamese dream and melon collie are a definite part of my youth

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
@Olly

Have you ever listened to Maynard James Keenan’s stuff? He’s one of the very best artists in the alt rock/metal genre in my opinion.

Puscifer’s ‘Conditions of my Parole’, A Perfect Circle’s ‘Mer De Noms’ and Tool’s ‘Ænima’ are good starting points.
I haven't listened to any albums or anything but have heard random songs, never really enjoyed them though. That whole progressive, experimental thing doesn't do anything for me at all. I find it a bit too gloomy and depressing, but not in the good way. If "good" is the right word to use :lol:

Classical Mechanic

I haven't listened to any albums or anything but have heard random songs, never really enjoyed them though. That whole progressive, experimental thing doesn't do anything for me at all. I find it a bit too gloomy and depressing, but not in the good way. If "good" is the right word to use :lol:
He is a ‘difficult personality’. I’m reading his autobiography at the moment and it’s kind of like ‘so I was in one the most critically acclaimed metal bands of all time, but listen to all this other sh#t I’m amazing at!’

Despite his smugness I struggle to think of a better lyricist in modern music. ‘The Humbling River’ with Puscifer Is kind of perfect lyrically IMO. ‘Stink Fist’ with Tool, where he compares the excessives of modern life to anal fisting is hard to deny too.

Have a listen to ‘Conditions of my Parole’ as Puscifer aren’t experimental or progressive.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
‘Stink Fist’ with Tool, where he compares the excessives of modern life to anal fisting is hard to deny too.
:lol: Sounds lovely.

Have a listen to ‘Conditions of my Parole’ as Puscifer aren’t experimental or progressive.
Just listened to it. Not really my kind of thing either I'm afraid, I just found it a bit weird and annoying. Sorry :lol:

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Am a drummer, Jimmy is outrageous. If you're curious about how technically good he is, check out his side project stuff where he's basically into insane jazz. Jimmy plays beats with excellent musicality mixed with sheer force and generally I love what he does because it not only fits but is also definitely him and impressive.

Danny Carey (Tool) on the other hand is like some strange alien that hears things in a different way to us mere mortals, and long ago abandoned any sense of common rhythm or time signatures in favour of just melting other drummers minds. I love what Jimmy does but I can generally replicate it if not 'hear' exactly what is going on. Some of the Tool stuff requires 20 minute videos to explain like 15 seconds of actual playing. He's absolute monster.

Sorry for the aside. Most musical drummer of this generation is Carter Beauford from DMB, even if you hate their music. And Dave Grohl is okay. Most semi-competent drummers can play virtually anything from Nirvana and the Foo. But Dave is consummate professional, awesome to play with, has great energy and by all accounts is basically worth having around at all times just because he improves all bands. He's like the Anderson of musicians. ;)
Thanks for the insight, appreciate it! Any thoughts on Big Paul Ferguson? I know he is regarded highly by some..

Last edited:

R77

Funny band, for me. The stuff I like (Probably 2-3 songs per album) I really like. Tales of a Scorched Earth, for example, was my 'smash sh@t up' song for a good while. 1979, Stumbleine, etc... Wonderfully miserable. Vast swathes of it I'm also largely indifferent to. Certainly one of the better and more inventive bands that grew big in that time though, imo.

btw highly recommended:

Ditto. Any guitarists or general musos that want to learn or brush up on their theory should check out Rick's channel. Great teacher.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Just listened to the new album. I think it's good. Nothing amazing or anything, but it's pretty consistent good listening, the kind I'd play in the in the car and enjoy as a whole. I reckon the 73 Metacritic it's got at the moment is about right based on my first listen.

GBBQ

Traveled over to London last month for their show. 3 hours of brilliance. Looking forward to hearing the new album.

arthurka

:lol: Me too! No other kinds live up to theirs for sure.

Such a good song :drool:
I had it on repeat on my discman for a year when I lived in Germany. Siamese, Rid of me and Breeders Last splash was a great year really. The next year wasnt that bad either with Superunknown , Weezer, Dummy, Crooked Rain x2 and last but not least Built to Spill's There's nothing wrong with love .. Fecking great times.

The new album is surprisingly good.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I had it on repeat on my discman for a year when I lived in Germany. Siamese, Rid of me and Breeders Last splash was a great year really. The next year wasnt that bad either with Superunknown , Weezer, Dummy, Crooked Rain x2 and last but not least Built to Spill's There's nothing wrong with love .. Fecking great times.

The new album is surprisingly good.
I had it on repeat for a couple of months this summer :drool:

Yeah that was deffo a great time for music. It's great going back and catching up on the ones I missed back then.

arthurka

I had it on repeat for a couple of months this summer :drool:

Yeah that was deffo a great time for music. It's great going back and catching up on the ones I missed back then.
It sure is much better than the dross that is being released as music today, or at least most of it.

Acole9

Outstanding
The old stuff is class but the stuff they've brought out since their comeback has been bobbins.