Smashley Young

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
What a load of utter nonsense.

Andy Carroll

Have you seen what happens when a ball is whipped in near the head of Liverpool’s leviathan? Rather than playing tippy tappy with Berba or passing to Rooney and letting him hog the limelight, you, with those delicious crosses from the right-flank, will probably get more assists than the entire squadron of Manchester United wingers put together. You, Glen Johnson and the big man will form such a partnership that you’ll never have to worry about losing your England place again to Shaun Wright Phillips.
It makes about as much sense as asking why would you have a threesome with Jessica Alba and Penelope Cruz when both of them have probably had it better than you, when you could shag some random fat gay bloke for whom it will be the best sex of his life and with connections he will get you a pass to a gay club with even more fat blokes.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
United aren't a publicly traded company anymore (at least not on the NYSE - I know there's been talk of Hong Kong), so why would the Glazers be telling them how much we've spent?
I asked that on Twitter, and the responses I got were that it was because of how we sold the Bond. I have no idea whether that is the case or not, or even if NYSE was informed.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Dont like the signing if im perfectly honest. The valencia thing that supposedly backs it up doesnt sit with me. Hopefully im made to eat my words.
Even if you're not 100% behind the signing.. why post? Why not just wait and see, and support the player? I don't understand why people are negative around here about this signing at all. Just. Wait.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Even if you're not 100% behind the signing.. why post? Why not just wait and see, and support the player? I don't understand why people are negative around here about this signing at all. Just. Wait.
I don't understand how giving your negative opinion on a signing equals not supporting him. And what does 'why post' mean? Only people who think this is a great signing should post in this thread? Shouldn't they also just wait and see?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I don't understand how giving your negative opinion on a signing equals not supporting him. And what does 'why post' mean? Only people who think this is a great signing should post in this thread? Shouldn't they also just wait and see?

I literally don't get why someone would want to be negative about a new signing. He's a new player to welcome to the squad? Why would anyone be concerned about this? He's a new player who we know can get goals and assists, why is this a bad thing?

It seems the people who don't like this signing actually mean "I wish we'd signed someone else instead". That is why I can't understand the negativity. Ashley Young is a Man United player, this is a good thing, why the need to be negative at all?

Mickey

Stop paying attention to this a while ago
Im so, so sorry for having a different opinion to the rest. Ill remember not to post a different opinion in the future.

I literally don't get why someone would want to be negative about a new signing. He's a new player to welcome to the squad? Why would anyone be concerned about this? He's a new player who we know can get goals and assists, why is this a bad thing?

It seems the people who don't like this signing actually mean "I wish we'd signed someone else instead". That is why I can't understand the negativity. Ashley Young is a Man United player, this is a good thing, why the need to be negative at all?
You dont get why someone would be negative about a signing? Go look at the early posts in the micheal owen thread and report back.

If we went on a spending spree of players like charlie adam and kevin phillips calibre, this summer, im sure you and many other fans would be displeased about the signings, therefore would be unhappy. Theres nothing wrong with being unhappy with a signing, i dont get why you think you automatically have to be happy with a signing. Sounds muppet-ish to me. And before you pull me up on it, im not saying young is of the same class of adam and phillips, but i am saying none of the 3 are what id consider united class.

I do wish we signed someone else, whats your point? Theres nothing wrong with that. You keep saying its a good thing, why? Because he can run and cross? I dont rate him as much as some, its as simple as that. Theres nothing wrong in saying that.

amolbhatia50k

Because everyone is entitled to have their opinions. Do you rate every single player in the world? Do you think they'd all be good for United? What if United signed someone you thought would be awful at our club or at least wouldn't be a good signing for a sum of X million? You don't have to force yourself to say that you think this is a fantastic signing if you genuinely don't feel that way.

Big difference between not rating someone or a signing and not supporting the player.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I'm completely so-so about this signing too. I'd love it if Ashley goes on to be a great player for us. He's got great stat's and can be a match changer. He's just not someone who I every thought, 'I'd love him to be a Utd Player'. But it does do one thing, it strengthens our young English player contingent, and with rule changes possibly afoot that can be no bad thing!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Im so, so sorry for having a different opinion to the rest. Ill remember not to post a different opinion in the future.

You dont get why someone would be negative about a signing? Go look at the early posts in the micheal owen thread and report back.

If we went on a spending spree of players like charlie adam and kevin phillips calibre, this summer, im sure you and many other fans would be displeased about the signings, therefore would be unhappy. Theres nothing wrong with being unhappy with a signing, i dont get why you think you automatically have to be happy with a signing. Sounds muppet-ish to me. And before you pull me up on it, im not saying young is of the same class of adam and phillips, but i am saying none of the 3 are what id consider united class.

I do wish we signed someone else, whats your point? Theres nothing wrong with that. You keep saying its a good thing, why? Because he can run and cross? I dont rate him as much as some, its as simple as that. Theres nothing wrong in saying that.

"Because he can run and cross".

See this is what I mean. He's quite clearly got more to him than that. Our fantastic scouting system has seen to it that they have bought this player and the manager wants him. What's there to be upset about.

amolbhatia50k

Actually I've changed my mind on this one. I thought it was a terrible idea at first but over time I've come around to thinking he can be pretty useful. Still not a signing that excites me but I guess I can see why the boss thinks he can make a difference.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Okay, now what about the rest of what i said?
It's pretty much bullshit. We haven't signed a player of Kevin Phillips standard have we? We've signed the player with the second most assists in the prem for the last 5 years, whilst number #1 in that list seems to be leaving. We've signed a player who definitely isn't Kevin Phillips level. We've signed an exciting player.

forevrared

Ask yourselves this - if Sanchez were to put up the numbers Young has averaged the last 4 years - around 10 goals and 15 assists - how ecstatic would you be?

If we can get it for one third the price from an English player who's already used to the league and mates with half the team from England duty, why not? The risk in signing Sanchez is much higher without the reward being much greater, if any. Sanchez may be younger, but he's only had one decent season and even that year wasn't as good as Young's last 4, production wise.

forevrared

Yes because football is all about statistics.
I'm sure in your mind it's all about step-overs, YouTube videos and being able to brag to your friends that your favorite team has signed a 'sexy' name. In reality, football is about scoring more goals than the other team. Young is guaranteed to deliver and Sanchez is not. Young also happens to cost about 1/3 the price. It's an easy decision.

amolbhatia50k

No it's all about being loyal to your club and players, and hopefully winning trophies.
Which is what everyone here is (well until they prove otherwise). You're just playing the "top red" card again. How do you use someone not rating a signing to preach loyalty and support towards your club?

Seriously, you're posting some truly pretentious nonsense.

amolbhatia50k

I'm sure in your mind it's all about step-overs, YouTube videos and being able to brag to your friends that your favorite team has signed a 'sexy' name. In reality, football is about scoring more goals than the other team. Young is guaranteed to deliver and Sanchez is not. Young also happens to cost about 1/3 the price. It's an easy decision.
:lol:

Well done on making a rubbish and baseless accusation.

As I said, Young will probably come good. But you can't just base arguments completely on statistics. Surely if a young Messi had the same stats as Young but showed talent worthy of being an all time great (as he has), it renders the comparison using only stats pointless. But yeah, you go about throwing random accusations.

"I'm sure". No you aren't. You've just gone on the basis of sweet nothing. :lol:

buckooo1978

the thing that excites me about young is the kind of player he could become

look at how valencia has come on with our coaching and with playing attacking football with players of the class of ours

his record over the last few years has been very good in an average villa side

young could surprise us with how good he is - the guy has raw pace - if he works hard and is willing to improve who's to say what he can achieve

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Which is what everyone here is (well until they prove otherwise). You're just playing the "top red" card again. How do you use someone not rating a signing to preach loyalty and support towards your club?

Seriously, you're posting some truly pretentious nonsense.
It's nothing to do with being pretentious. And nothing to do with being a top red. It's just absurd to me that United fans aren't happy we've signed another good player

As you said

Still not a signing that excites me
It just seems people want "exciting" sexy foreign transfers, and now we've got a good English player, people aren't happy. He's not Sanchez. He's not Sjnieder or Banega or whoever else we want. Who cares! Why should a transfer have to excite you?

Man, I hope this signing is as good as Cantona, Yorke, Cole, Valencia or Rooney. Has Fergie made a mistake when buying a player from an English club in the last 10 years?

Kaos

English, proven PL player for £11million > Chilean, unproven PL player who would probably demand a move in a couple of years for £35million.

Now we can finally focus on a Midfielder too, thats when we can go on full throttle muppet mode.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The people who don't like this signing would be happy if he was foreign. There is no doubt about it. I was shocked to read how productive he's been. I'm behind this deal.

decorativeed

I'm with Twig. It's bizarre that some people on here seem to happier if we'd not signed anyone at all so far. Instead we've signed a decent player with lots of Premier League experience and an unbelievable fitness record for a good fee. Why people are moaning about it I cannot comprehend. Are we better or worse off having signed him?

Kaos

The people who don't like this signing would be happy if he was foreign. There is no doubt about it. I was shocked to read how productive he's been. I'm behind this deal.
Some folks are annoyed because they genuinely thought it would be him or Sanchez we'd end up signing, and we didn't end up going with the latter.

amolbhatia50k

It's nothing to do with being pretentious. And nothing to do with being a top red. It's just absurd to me that United fans aren't happy we've signed another good player
Your logic is flawed. Some people don't think he's a good player. I think he is but it's okay to think he isn't.

It just seems people want "exciting" sexy foreign transfers, and now we've got a good English player, people aren't happy. He's not Sanchez. He's not Sjnieder or Banega or whoever else we want. Who cares! Why should a transfer have to excite you?

Man, I hope this signing is as good as Cantona, Yorke, Cole, Valencia or Rooney. Has Fergie made a mistake when buying a player from an English club in the last 10 years?
I hope so too. And I think he will come good. But I have to explain what I mean't when I said that this signing doesn't excite me. Actually, I can't because I'm not sure why it doesn't. I think it's because I thought he was really really good when he was younger but I thought he never lived up to that hype in terms of his play on the ball. And also I think it has to do with him being lumped into the SWP, Lennon bracket of 'brainless' wingers (which is probably a false stereotype really). But I'm slowly coming around to seeing the potential of this signing. I've already stated before that logically it makes a lot of sense.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Your logic is flawed. Some people don't think he's a good player. I think he is but it's okay to think he isn't.

I hope so too. And I think he will come good. But I have to explain what I mean't when I said that this signing doesn't excite me. Actually, I can't because I'm not sure why it doesn't. I think it's because I thought he was really really good when he was younger but I thought he never lived up to that hype in terms of his play on the ball. And also I think it has to do with him being lumped into the SWP, Lennon bracket of 'brainless' wingers (which is probably a false stereotype really). But I'm slowly coming around to seeing the potential of this signing. I've already stated before that logically it makes a lot of sense.
It's not ok to think he's not a top player. It's not ok to think anyone whose done as much as Young has is not a top player. He's got an incredible amount of goals and assists for someone whose not good. People who think Young isn't a good player will think Carrick isn't a good player, or Valencia wasn't a good player or Hernandez wasn't a good player. He's a player we KNOW has done well in the Premier League, and he's a player we've let to see play for Man United. Let's give him a chance!

amolbhatia50k

It's not ok to think he's not a top player. It's not ok to think anyone whose done as much as Young has is not a top player. He's got an incredible amount of goals and assists for someone whose not good. People who think Young isn't a good player will think Carrick isn't a good player, or Valencia wasn't a good player or Hernandez wasn't a good player. He's a player we KNOW has done well in the Premier League, and he's a player we've let to see play for Man United. Let's give him a chance!
I am giving him a chance! Everyone is! But it's okay for different people to rate him differently. You're taking a little negativity too seriously. I'm sure the people who dislike this signing are hoping it turns out well too.

And he's not a top player. He's a good player. Like Carrick and Valencia. Not a top player.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I am giving him a chance! Everyone is! But it's okay for different people to rate him differently. You're taking a little negativity too seriously. I'm sure the people who dislike this signing are hoping it turns out well too.

And he's not a top player. He's a good player. Like Carrick and Valencia. Not a top player.
:lol:

All three are incredible players. We're lucky to have them.