Disaster Draft (ex-Snakes and Ladders) - Now with Jordi's reply

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Welcome to the 1st edition of the Snakes and Ladders Draft!

Standard T&C:

S1 - All time snake draft. Roll the dice and move along the board. Snakes (Red down arrows) bring you down and Ladders (Green up arrows) take get you high!
S2 - Initial drafting of 14 players.
S3 - 8 hrs per pick. Do not wait or provide extra time.
S4 - No change in picks after posting.
S5 - No substitutions. Tactical changes with in-field players only.
S7 - Pick times will be recorded. Lowest time wins in case of draws. PM picks are default 10 minutes

Reinforcement Rules:

R1 - Open pool reinforcement. Undrafted players can be drafted now.
R2 - Extra 3 players per Reinforcement Round.
R3 - First two players of losing teams will not be available in reinforcement pool.

Snakes and Ladders Rules:

L1 - Match-up's will be made before start of drafting for every round.
L2 - All managers have below set of cards to play (2 cards). Cards will be effective only from next round after being played. Both cards can be played together in same round!

* Add +4 to opponent's roll.
* Reduce -3 to opponent's roll.​

Criteria Explanation:

• Who has starred in a advertisement (pic) - Post a picture of a player who has featured in an advertisement. Decision of validity will be at sole discretion of the modmins. Picture should be clear to product advertised.
  • Has landed outside of top 5 in Balon d'Or votes (must have min 1 vote) - Must have finished outside of top 5 in that specific year, with minimum of 1 vote.
  • Non UK born players in UK leagues - Must have been born outside the UK and have had at least 1 starting appearance in any of top tier UK leagues.
  • World Cup Winner (but not CL/EC) - As stated
  • Played in Asia - As stated
  • Won the CL or EC (but not WC) - As stated
  • Kiss the trophy (pic) - Post a picture of the player kissing a football trophy (holding is not enough)
  • Born…. In the years specified in the box
  • Never won any top division league (Europe only) - As stated
  • Player froma team who has lost to Man Utd in Europe - Choose a match where Man Utd won in Europe (CL/EC/EL). Picks a player from the losing team who featured in the match (must have had playing time)
  • Same number of caps as someone else in your team (+/- 5 caps tolerance allowed) - As stated
  • Played in 3 of the following: Premier League (or First Division); Bundesliga; Serie A; La Liga - As stated
  • Has a Red Card in Finals (post quals) of a WC - No qualification of friendly matches. All finals matches only.
  • Won the Copa America (but not EC/EC/CL) - As stated
  • Who has the same 'First' name as someone who is already in your team - First word of real name. E.g. For Cafu first name is "Marcos Evangelista de Morais" - The player you pick must have Marcos as part of his full name.
  • Who has received not more than 2 Ballon d'Or vote in any year of your choice - Must have received 1 or 2 votes only (no more no less) in any year.
  • UK players who ahve played outside the UK - Born in UK and must have had at least 1 appearance (playing time) in any league outside the UK
  • Not born in Europe or South America - As stated.

Block List:

Diego Maradona
Frank Rijkaard
Garrincha
George Best
Gerd Muller
Luis Ronaldo
Marco van Basten
Paolo Maldini
Pele

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Looks good @Edgar Allan Pillow

Only thing I noticed that needs clearing up is the no top 4 league team one.

Is it the current club they are at, or is it the club's the player has been at for those 5 years?

For example a player has been at a team for 4 years but last year moved to a club that hasn't finished in the top 4 over the past 5 years. Is he eligible?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Never won any top division league (Europe only) = 1st division of how many countries?

What's a European country?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Can we have the draw NOW and start the draft AFTER the final of the ongoing draft? :angel:

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Does the EC and CL in the category descriptions stand for European Cup and Copa Libertadores respectively?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Never won any top division league (Europe only) - As stated

I guess its only applied for players that played in Europe but just to make sure :)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Does the EC and CL in the category descriptions stand for European Cup and Copa Libertadores respectively?
Champions League and European Cup. In Copa America slot I assume that there's also a European Championship restriction, although I find it hard to imagine a player that had won both Copa and Euros :)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Edgar Allan Pillow why those players are blocked and GOAT's left?:confused:
They are what I feel as Draft GOATs. Maldini is super defender and I can't think of a single situation where he can be beaten by anyone. Rijkaard is the same. Also decided to block the super attackers. Anyway, it's just arbitrary for this draft.
Only thing I noticed that needs clearing up is the no top 4 league team one.

Is it the current club they are at, or is it the club's the player has been at for those 5 years?

For example a player has been at a team for 4 years but last year moved to a club that hasn't finished in the top 4 over the past 5 years. Is he eligible?
The club's where they were playing should not have finished within Top 4 of the respective leagues.
What's the ruling on colonies regarding: "Not born in Europe or South America"
For simplicity sake, colonies will be considered part of parent nation continent
What's a European country?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_in_Europe

Never won any top division league (Europe only) - As stated

I guess its only applied for players that played in Europe but just to make sure :)
Yes. Will add to OP

Šjor Bepo

Block Maradona as well, only GOAT that you can surround with lesser players and he will be in his element, for a criteria draft thats a huge advantage + one of the most exciting player ever is comfortably the most boring draft player so we take a break from his 352 side for at least one draft.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Block Maradona as well, only GOAT that you can surround with lesser players and he will be in his element, for a criteria draft thats a huge advantage + one of the most exciting player ever is comfortably the most boring draft player so we take a break from his 352 side for at least one draft.
Yep. Block Maradona unless he's used as a false 9

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I think the draft board is very balanced and I like the block list as well. Maldini especially is seen as super human in everything he does, defending and attacking contribution. He is also a perfect fit for every formation, like LB in a back 4, CB in a back 4, LCB in a back 5 to cover for an attacking LWB and cover for the libero in the middle at the same time.

Maradona and Pele are the two obvious standouts left unblocked and for me you can block them or leave them untouched I don't care, I will vote against any Diego-352-side anyway:lol: I'm not serious

Indnyc

@Edgar Allan Pillow think the rule of first 2 picks of the team not being available for reinforcement is not required here. There is no guarantee that the first two picks of each team will be the best players

Maybe allow managers to choose the two players from their team that are ineligible for reinforcements

Enigma_87

You know who
@Edgar Allan Pillow think the rule of first 2 picks of the team not being available for reinforcement is not required here. There is no guarantee that the first two picks of each team will be the best players

Maybe allow managers to choose the two players from their team that are ineligible for reinforcements
Agreed.

Besides I think this rule provides a bit of an extra advantage on those on top as they will get higher tier of players and would probably have an advantage.

Deleted member 101472

Could be in for a few meltdowns this draft as luck will play such a huge role.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Can't we start it now? The drafts are now isolated in a specific forum section so I don't see the issue.

People will check this thread and be active in the discussions related to the final

Last edited:

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I did a bit of research into the more difficult looking categories and there seem to be 2 especially who are less useful than simply getting a legacy player. Or a current Man Utd player.

"Has at least 1 Cap for a country that has never reached the world cup finals"

Around 80 countries reached the World Cup finals, this excludes them all. I came up with a list of 2 pretty good players and 4 okay-ish players, but I don't really have the sources to dig deep into the football history of Antigua and Barbuda and the likes:smirk:

"No top 4 league team player over past 5 years"

I assumed this had to be an active player, who never finished in a top4 position in the last 5 years, starting from 2013/2014. I found zero players anyone could use in any draft for this exercise. Maybe I don't understand the category, but what I have read it means: If you played at some side who finished top 4 while you were there, you are ineligible. This excludes pretty much every semi-decent player, even gems like Bakayoko were too successful. Maybe change it to "Active player who hasn't won a league title over the last 5 years"?

Šjor Bepo

I assumed this had to be an active player, who never finished in a top4 position in the last 5 years, starting from 2013/2014. I found zero players anyone could use in any draft for this exercise. Maybe I don't understand the category, but what I have read it means: If you played at some side who finished top 4 while you were there, you are ineligible. This excludes pretty much every semi-decent player, even gems like Bakayoko were too successful. Maybe change it to "Active player who hasn't won a league title over the last 5 years"?

Skizzo

I did a bit of research into the more difficult looking categories and there seem to be 2 especially who are less useful than simply getting a legacy player. Or a current Man Utd player.

Around 80 countries reached the World Cup finals, this excludes them all. I came up with a list of 2 pretty good players and 4 okay-ish players, but I don't really have the sources to dig deep into the football history of Antigua and Barbuda and the likes:smirk:

My understanding for the top 4 league was no one who played in one of the top 4 leagues (PL, la liga, bundlesliga, serie a)

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz

I have a shortlist of 12 players for the country that has never reached the world cup. If we wanted to make that category slightly easier we could also allow players who had a cap prior to their countries first appearance at a world cup.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I did a bit of research into the more difficult looking categories and there seem to be 2 especially who are less useful than simply getting a legacy player.

You start to understand the spirit of this draft :D