Television Sneaky Pete

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I've almost finished the season and I reckon it's a pretty darn good show. It's got a slight Breaking Bad vibe to it, some similar plot mechanics and the same attention paid to creating detailed characters with organic motivations.

Why are you sleeping on it?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's also a really silly show. I don't get the Breaking Bad vibes at all, it's far more light hearted and dumb. The only thing they have in common is Bryan Cranston.

It's one of those ones that's kinda entertaining cause it has good actors and decent direction but when you actually pay proper attention to it for more than 5 minutes at a time you realize how stupid the whole thing is.

I mean seriously, who the feck wouldn't recognize their 12 year old grandson/cousin 20 years later?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Watched the pilot when it came out on Amazon and thought the premise was promising (if, as Spanner says, not too convincingly ironed out) but after watching a couple more eps, they seem to have settle into a fairly straight forward "conman on the run from a hammy mob boss" plot.

It has its charms though. Terrible, terrible name, mind.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
just finished this. Really good show, would recommend it. They opened little cracks in the story line each episode which left you guessing.

Great last episode too

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I thought it got a lot messier in the last few episodes. It felt too convoluted and the contrivances became far fetched and very apparent - like the worst episodes of Breaking Bad. The acting and initial character development was eventually let down by the clumsy story machinations.

The final scene, that sets up a possible second season, summed up everything bad about the show and the nature of modern long form tv, with few exceptions. In this, the most commercial of mediums, the material will ultimately be stretched and torn to make the product. It's not the "new film" and the new Golden Age is over.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I actually just asked about this in the TV shows thread, didn't see this :p

Seems the reviews on rotten tomatoes, metacritic and imdb are all pretty positive, but looks as if it is getting mixed reviews here... Think I'll give it a go anyway.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
My wife and I are 4 episodes in, she likes it more than me though thats not saying I dislike it. Its slightly off kilter, it takes a while for it to grow on you but when it does its good and sometimes its quite funny. I'll definitely watch it til the end.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Binge watched the final 5 episodes last night, I hadn't planned on watching them all but it just kept getting better and the finale was well worth it. I'd definitely recommend this show.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Watched the two first eps last night, I really liked it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Enjoyed the show a lot but:

I didn't like how it suddenly turned into an episode of the old UK TV Show "Hustle". It suddenly turned into this slick grifting operation with all members of the team appearing with their different skill sets and the whole plan came together. It changed the feel of the show completely and let it down in my eyes.

pauldyson1uk

Enjoyed the show a lot but:

I didn't like how it suddenly turned into an episode of the old UK TV Show "Hustle". It suddenly turned into this slick grifting operation with all members of the team appearing with their different skill sets and the whole plan came together. It changed the feel of the show completely and let it down in my eyes.
I see where you are coming from, but still cracking series and I loved the Finale.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
For anyone who's watched this does it get better as it goes on? I've only watched the first two episodes but I'm not really feeling it.
Final episodes are good but a couple of episodes in between can be a slog.

Overall I thought the series was 2-3 episodes too long for the story they told. Episodes in the middle hit the same beat multiple times and a lot of filler stories I had no interest in. Ending also felt rushed to me, they could have cut some filler and drawn out the ending for more tension.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's bobbins.

One of the worst of the new own brand shows produced by either Netflix or Amazon.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
@Maccaa

Just finished StartUp with my girlfriend last night and although they're probably a bit too different to compare, it's a far superior programme and I'd recommend putting the 10 hours of your life towards that rather than this.

Maccaa

Cheers lads I'll leave it then. I seen an article saying it could be the next big TV show but I was honestly bored from the start.

@Pexbo

Just watched the trailer for it and it definitely looks better. I'll try and start it tonight, never heard of it till you mentioned it!

wr8_utd

:'(
I'm liking this. It's not award winning television but it's very watchable and has a good cast.

SwansonsTache

I'm liking this. It's not award winning television but it's very watchable and has a good cast.
Agreed. Good cast, good pacing and an okay story to boot. Not "up there" but still very enjoyable.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This started off a bit slow but it picks up and by the end it becomes easy to binge watch, I hope there's more Cranston in season 2. A solid series.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Season 2 is out for anybody interested, its one of the few shows Amazon exclusives that's worth watching.

SwansonsTache

Thanks, will download this as the first season was great.

LARulz

Season 3 out

Saw the first season when it came out but only got around to starting season 2 a week ago and finished the thing.

It's good fun to watch and all the characters have something about them which makes them actually relevant and not just someone I roll my eyes at every single time they're on

starman

Just finished it, and just found out its been cancelled....which is a shame as I think they could have wrapped it up with another season. Was a decent 7/10 show as a whole.

Season 1 - Was good, some bits a little far fetching, but still played out well
Season 2 - A bit wishy washy, stretched the sequence of events way too far.
Season 3 - Had a good setup and some enjoyable episodes but one of the actors died during the filming so they had to write it and you can tell they were just trying to get it over the line, in part, not a great season overall, but will give it a pass given the circumstances.

Acting is very good throughout but Giovanni Ribisi & Margo Martindale are brilliant

Last edited:

Amir

Season 3 - Had a good setup and some enjoyable episodes but one of the actors died during the filming so they had to write it and you can tell they were just trying to get it over the line, in part, not a great season overall, but will give it a pass given the circumstances.
I had no idea. I thought it was a little strange that the episodes got shorter and shorter as the season was coming to a close. I was actually congratulating the creators for not having a problem doing that rather than extending the episodes by force with nothing scenes.

Good show, overall.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Started watching this. Have it on while I work - 7 episodes in and it’s fairly decent!

marktan

Started watching this. Have it on while I work - 7 episodes in and it’s fairly decent!
I quite liked it too, the acting was very good and I liked the characters. Some people said season 3 was a bit meh, but it's a shame it got cancelled I wouldve continued watching.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Thought it was brilliant and they ended it on time rather than keep going with poorer seasons.

One of amazon primes good ones. The Boys, The Man in the High Castle, Homecoming, Bosch, Goliath season one were all good. Trying to think if i have left any out.