So how would you approach the big games now?

Tarrou

Ole has a great track record against the big sides and the tactics have been clear; sit back, soak up the pressure and hit them with quick transitions and counters

So do we stick to that strategy or continue with our current line-up/tactics that is putting teams to the sword?

Pogba and Matic have been both been immense but off the ball they lack the intensity of Fred and McTominay, which could expose us to the likes of City and Liverpool. McTominay in particular seems to thrive in the big games much like Fletcher did back in the day.

Pogba and Bruno are clearly undroppable at this point though. How will Ole play this? How would you?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Definitely stick to that strategy because its proven to work. The most important thing now is that we have a new approach which works against the smaller sides who sit back.

neilv93

I think we're in a position, now, with our current form, to be going at the other big clubs a lot more than before and I think McTominay would likely get the nod over Matic for those type of games. That said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. What we do v the 'big six' works extremely well and are devastating on the counter, enough so to the point that the likes of City and Liverpool would and SHOULD be scared to attack us so heavily due to risk of us countering, therefore giving us more chance to go forward anyway.

Getting points from the big six hasn't typically been a problem for us since Ole came in - getting points off the lesser clubs has. So this new approach, style, form etc. is better against the Brighton's, Villa's and Sheffield United's.

Nickelodeon

I think we're in a position, now, with our current form, to be going at the other big clubs a lot more than before and I think McTominay would likely get the nod over Pogba for those type of games. That said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. What we do v the 'big six' works extremely well and are devastating on the counter, enough so to the point that the likes of City and Liverpool would and SHOULD be scared to attack us so heavily due to risk of us countering, therefore giving us more chance to go forward anyway.
Are you kidding?

freeurmind

weak willed
Against a City or Liverpool I would def look to get the energy of a Fred or Mctominay in midfield at the expense of Matic. Might be worth looking at a back 3 as well.

DDG
Lindelof Bailly Maguire
AWB McSauce Pogba Shaw
Fernandes Rashford
Martial

Nickelodeon

I see it more of a tactical change than a personnel one. Matic could drop deeper to essentially play like a 3rd CB while Bruno rather than playing further ahead can drop deep to play more like a CM than an AM. We could utilise our front 3 to break at pace. This is from a defensive standpoint or when we're under pressure.

Offensively, I would expect us to maintain the same shape like we do now. But no reason to mess with this first XI.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It will take a very brave man to bench Pogba for those type of games. Matic has to play because Fred/McT aren't disciplined enough for that role. And Bruno is an automatic pick. So can't see any changes to the midfield.

If we meet City in the cup final I think the only change will be James for Greenwood.

My only Eric

Use the tactics that work against fellow big teams when playing against fellow big teams.

Use the tactics that work against lower placed teams when playing against lower placed teams.

Managing is simple. Simple managing is difficult.
(Feck me.. that quote doesn't make sense.. I tend to say crap when I haven't slept for about 36 hours.. pops another pill)

Last edited:

Strelok

Definitely stick to that strategy because its proven to work. The most important thing now is that we have a new approach which works against the smaller sides who sit back.
Agreed. Why change something if it works. The current Pogba surely can defense. And imo now we're even more scary at counter attacking with the new Greenwood.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I hope we stick to it against teams who are better than us, so basically only Liverpool and City. We shouldn't have to change our tactics when playing the other top teams such as Chelsea, Tottenham or Arsenal. The way we're playing, and the way we defend, we have a better chance when we are on the front foot.

mancave bear

If it ain't broke don't fix it. We have had great success with our aproach against the best teams, and should continue to use it. This allso means we get to use more players, and can rest some of the players in the usual xi. Thats important.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’d just drop Fernandes back 15 yards and keep everything else the same.

Web of Bissaka

1. No Matic, no offense to him, he's useful vs low blocks. Better teams would score and punish us more once they did what Villa did today's 1st half game.

2. Either one of- or both Fred and McT is a must.

That's it.

CG1010

We should continue to use the existing strategies that we have adopted against big teams. However, I am sure our opponents will give us more respect themselves so it may end up being a hybrid of attack + counter-attack. Controversially, I feel we will have to drop one of our front 5 against big teams and bring in either Mctominay/Fred. Not sure how well a midfield of Bruno-Pogba-Matic can absorb attacking threats of the likes of Liverpool and City.

Web of Bissaka

I hope we stick to it against teams who are better than us, so basically only Liverpool and City. We shouldn't have to change our tactics when playing the other top teams such as Chelsea, Tottenham or Arsenal. The way we're playing, and the way we defend, we have a better chance when we are on the front foot.
Agree.
Tricky part is our midfield personnel especially considering Matic, excluding must-play Bruno.

Only change the system (352 perhaps) with teams like City, Pool or other european top clubs.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Against City i'd change the approach a little bit.. at least step up the pressure of the ball so they don't just run the ball at will. I'm not sure you can simply "soak up" that pressure and keep them from scoring. They are looking really strong at the moment. But no need to change the general approach vs top-teams.

zenith

Against stronger opposition with a solid midfield, I'd still want us to play a more attacking version of 5-3-2 with shaw as the left sided CB and Williams and AWB being given the freedom to move forward.

A pogba and bruno axis in the middle, providing chances for rashford and martial would work very nicely.

If and when we get Sancho, this plan might need a complete rethink