So it is finally happening.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
So after 28 years of supporting this club I will make my first pilgrimage to Old Trafford.

A few months ago after my pained persistence, my local Taproom Club decided to venture out of London and visit some of the breweries up in the the North West.

Once logistics were confirmed we looked at a dates and decided on the 19th. Only when I checked dates did I realise this was the weekend of the Liverpool game.

Scrambled around and managed to get a ticket in the Stretford End. Long story short this is an actual dream come true for me, with my location, modest means I have never been able to justify the expense of going to Old Trafford/known anyone who could get me tickets.

Better late than never eh?! Even in amongst this dark and dire period, I cannot wait to visit, watch the biggest match and cheer on the team in the flesh.

Can any match fans suggest a couple things;

1) a list of songs sung so I don't look like an utter tourist?

2) best pub for matchday fans?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just keep screaming Ole's at the wheel to the Stone Roses' Waterfall tune, ...however bad it's getting...

Revaulx

So after 28 years of supporting this club I will make my first pilgrimage to Old Trafford.

A few months ago after my pained persistence, my local Taproom Club decided to venture out of London and visit some of the breweries up in the the North West.

Once logistics were confirmed we looked at a dates and decided on the 19th. Only when I checked dates did I realise this was the weekend of the Liverpool game.

Scrambled around and managed to get a ticket in the Stretford End. Long story short this is an actual dream come true for me, with my location, modest means I have never been able to justify the expense of going to Old Trafford/known anyone who could get me tickets.

Better late than never eh?! Even in amongst this dark and dire period, I cannot wait to visit, watch the biggest match and cheer on the team in the flesh.

If you're serious about your beer go to Chorlton and get the tram to Trafford Bar, which is 15 minutes walk from the ground. The Chorlton Tap is excellent and is right opposite the tram stop. Beer House (ex Marble) and Dulcimer aren't much further.

The pubs near to Old Trafford aren't great.

Which breweries are you visiting?

Sir Scott McToMinay

Thought this was about the imminent sacking of Solskjaer at first.

Well, I hope you bring us luck, mate, need to get something out of this game and slow down Liverpool.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
If you're serious about your beer go to Chorlton and get the tram to Trafford Bar, which is 15 minutes walk from the ground. The Chorlton Tap is excellent and is right opposite the tram stop. Beer House (ex Marble) and Dulcimer aren't much further.

The pubs near to Old Trafford aren't great.

Which breweries are you visiting?
Thanks! Have most the afternoon to myself as the guys I'm with depart back to London at midday so will definitely check it out.

We are visiting Cloudwater and Track.

izzydiggler

I clicked thinking this was a Brexit thread...not sure which will be worse to experience :).

Seriously, enjoy the day...as much as you can!

izzydiggler

Thanks, I actually don't care if we get stuffed (I mean I do) but I'm just so glad to be going.
I know what you mean...I have an NFL season ticket for the London games and even though the results are generally irrelevant to me, it's just a great and enjoyable experience.

It's nice to hear with all the doom and gloom, some magic and excitement of a fan watching their team play! If we win, you might be able to get a whip round on here to get you there every week as the 'miracle worker'. :)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Enjoy though pal.

When you head to a game you have very little hopes for, a good result is even better.:drool:

Revaulx

Excellent! The breweries won’t disappoint.

The football probably won’t be great, but the atmosphere in the ground should be :drool:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Fair play to your commitment to the club, i cant say it would still be on my bucket list given the state of things right now

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

How did you manage to get a ticket? Asking for a friend who will, um, be going that way next year

Bestietom

You will enjoy it even more in the Stretford End. It may not be great football but it will be hell for leather stuff. Just join in with the lads and scream your head off. Best of luck, I'm in the east stand,by corner flag.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Sure 'you'll never get a job... sign on, sign on' (to tune of YAWN) will be one.

After spending time on the Caf in the last couple of months (and assuming most United fans can't stand Ole), you'll probably be surprised at how much 'Oles at the wheel' is sung ....even though most players referenced are injured, left or crap (maybe needs changing to Maguire, Bissaka and James which would fit, though loses the rhyme).

Maybe an age thing, but I go to The Alchemist at The Lowry now and walk in from that side. Can book a table, bit more relaxed, good mix of sharing plates food then wander to the ground and buy a calorie-laden burger from a van on the way.

Main thing is ENJOY IT.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Great news, nothing like seeing the ground / pitch for the first time.

Hope the lads manage to pull something out the hat for you!

Never been to a derby before but I can imagine the atmosphere is much different than normal matches.

Hopefully you're a good luck charm.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Nice one mate.

I have a ticket for the stadium tour as a birthday present so will be doing that and hopefully a game in the new year. Despite being poor just now I still can't wait to get down and visit :drool::devil:

Eric7C

Have fun.

If you find Woodward in there somewhere, you know what to do.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Nice one mate.

I have a ticket for the stadium tour as a birthday present so will be doing that and hopefully a game in the new year. Despite being poor just now I still can't wait to get down and visit :drool::devil:
Sounds great :drool:

GenZRed

I still remember the first day I watched Man United at Old Trafford. Unfortunately it was the 1-1 against Mourinho's Porto in the Champions League that knocked us out. I still maintain to this day that we should have won that tie.

You will never forget your first time at Old Trafford. Hope you have a great time and, hopefully, a reason to be happy with the team's performance.

Reactions: Rood

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sounds great :drool:
Honestly, I've wanted to do the stadium tour since I was a kid, and I don't get to go to Old Trafford very often at all. So even if the team is playing poorly and we are a bit of a shambles, visiting Old Trafford and seeing that pitch, seeing the museum and Old Trafford in all it's glory, will be one of the one of the best things ever for me.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Honestly, I've wanted to do the stadium tour since I was a kid, and I don't get to go to Old Trafford very often at all. So even if the team is playing poorly and we are a bit of a shambles, visiting Old Trafford and seeing that pitch, seeing the museum and Old Trafford in all it's glory, will be one of the one of the best things ever for me.
I agree and I'd love to do that. Probably not for everyone on this place though.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Youve certainly picked a time to go to your first game pal. Enjoy your day no matter what, try not to let United ruin it for you

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I haven't been to OT for some time now so I'm not even sure if it's still open, but the Matchstick Man is a top pub to go for a pint or 10 before the game. There's a few decent boozers scattered along the Salford Quays as it happens.

Enjoy!

reddevil80

The Gorse Hill Hotel, local lads, fans and atmosphere is usually top notch. Man Utd fans pub

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Try and dig out Flex whilst you're there after the game and hold up a RedCafe sign! :D I'm sure the fan cams will be lively whichever way the tie goes.

pacifictheme

I've supported united for slightly longer than you OP and I was too young to properly remember my first time at ot as i was 5. I remember bits. I've been loads since and to think of everything i've seen in thr last 29 years. I genuinely feel a bit sorry that you've had to wait till now and you'll see that shower of ahite play.

Make sure you walk all the way around ot as there is some munich stuff along the south stand tunnel. Go get chips and gravy from lou macary and have a great time. Few things that give me the feels more than walking up the stairs to see the pitch at ot.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

So nice to have a positive thread for once. You will love it despite the result. I'll always remember my first game and it was a loss to Bolton. :lol:

Le Red

Youve certainly picked a time to go to your first game pal. Enjoy your day no matter what, try not to let United ruin it for you
Exactly. Try to forget the dire years and remember that beyond all these problems, it's the club we love.
I will never forget the feeling of going to Old Trafford to see United for the first (and only) time. Boy, how lucky I was, it was MU x Swansea, PL 12/13 :D

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
A few tips:
  • take some sun glasses, you will never have seen greener grass.
  • however good you look in a shell suit, don't wear one
  • even if "you'll never walk alone" is your favourite singalong at functions when bladdered, best not to join in.
  • and try and take it all in, you're going to a very special place, and you'll see the good, the bad and the ugly of United fans whether we win lose or draw.

Jim etchells

Thanks! Have most the afternoon to myself as the guys I'm with depart back to London at midday so will definitely check it out.

We are visiting Cloudwater and Track.
As a craft beer fan The Knott is worth a try but still in the city centre rather than close to the ground. But a regular hangout for UTD fans on match days.

BiigPete

Pre-match the Tollgate is handy because it's just across the road from Trafford Bar tram stop (not the closest tram stop to OT but only 15min walk). Has a big open area and a marquee where everyone is usually singing. Used to go to the Quandrant, but it's been a good few years so not sure what it's like anymore.

Post-match Hotel Football's 'Old Trafford Supporters Club' is a great atmosphere if we win....or draw. Mr Miyagi gets up and leads everyone in singing from his corner. Only allowed in with matchday tickets. Been once after a loss and wasn't the most enjoyable.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Since you are first timer, goto the Bishops Blaize as it tends to have the loudest atmosphere - I would never go there though as it's far too busy at the bar!