So Jose Was Right?

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He was spot on and if he had been backed could have won the league IMO.

His response to not being backed was of course wrong and ridiculous but he knew what he was doing
I think the problem was the club not being assertive enough regarding his complaints with the players. I think he was right about calling them out but if the club wasn't going to back their manager he should had been sacked. It was like if the club wanted to make him resign on his own volition while he was also trying to get sacked and I think the club has more responsability leading to that situation. Ultimately he had to be sacked but also the club should had cut their losses with Pogba long time ago.

Turkleton

Mourinho was a disaster for us. Whenever I'm feeling sad, I remember he isn't our manager and suddenly I feel better.

Acole9

Outstanding
Mourinho was a disaster for us. Whenever I'm feeling sad, I remember he isn't our manager and suddenly I feel better.
He didn't live up to expectations sure but to say he was a disaster is a bit over the top.

Giggsy13

Manager who delivered us two trophies and our highest point total post-Fergie? You have it twisted, it’s too bad our club is a disaster and wasted a world class manager.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Jose was right about the problems - they aren't hard to spot - but not the solutions. His football was outdated, he was himself uncommitted and as big a mercenary as the players he critiqued.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral

On his Youtube show, Ferdinand basically said that he thinks Jose was spot on and that people owe him an apology.

Is Rio being too reactionary here or is it completely true?

Idxomer

I don't know, I think getting £20m for his failures is better than any apology.

Mourinho was talking bollocks then, and it's the worst kind of revisionism to come back after 3 years and say "he was right all along!" because we've had a crap season (worth noting that he was sacked while on course to have us do even worse than this season: 26 points from 17 games, was it?)

No shit, there were "issues behind the scenes" at the club and have been for a decade now. What does that have to do with his crap management?

HookedOnAPhelan

Mourinho is a self-serving prick who did a piss poor job here. And he's proven nobody wrong with the job he's done at Spurs and Roma so far. He's simply past it.

And our second place finish that season was far more thanks to De Gea than Mourinho. It was a very flattering second place. We finished with 81 points, but according to Understat that was 18,67 (!!!) points more than our expected points - by far the most in the league. Our expected finish was 6th according to their model, which is saying something.

Reactions: roonster09

Pearl.Jam

No shit, there were "issues behind the scenes" at the club and have been for a decade now. What does that have to do with his crap management?
the guy was a goofball and yet he managed to deliver trophies for us..remember those times ? when we used to win stuff? I’d take crap management now if it meant we were competing for silverware

HookedOnAPhelan

the guy was a goofball and yet he managed to deliver trophies for us..remember those times ? when we used to win stuff? I’d take crap management now if it meant we were competing for silverware
He left us having won a League cup and an Europa League (and zero title/CL challenges), after having spent ~€450m - including a world record transfer. A roaring success story that.

Even Van Gaal won a more prestigious trophy.

Edit: last post of the day!

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Jose was right. What he missed was that the bad decision making within the club was the only reason he was there as well.

He's probably still a better manager than Rangnick, so yeah, he's got that going for him I guess. But that's not the benchmark, and Mourinho's trophies are not exactly the ones I want us to be trying to win every year. He was rubbish.

Tarrou

you gotta laugh really

Jose talked so much shit whilst he was here and now people are picking out bits and pieces out like he was fecking Nostradamus or something

he was right about Pogba was he? Oh yeah? Why'd he sign the cnut then eh!?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
you gotta laugh really

Jose talked so much shit whilst he was here and now people are picking out bits and pieces out like he was fecking Nostradamus or something

That's Jose fans masterclass.

Lemoor

you gotta laugh really

He also perfectly predicted de Bruyne and Salah to be complete failures at Chelsea.

OrcaFat

I thought he absolutely was right. About some stuff anyway.

He was and is a top manager. The problem he had (and the problem the club has had for years) is that non-football people overruled him on football matters.

He achieved a lot considering the conditions he was working under. I thought the club should have backed him over the players and should have given him more backing to sign players. For sure he spent a lot but we had a lot of ground to make up and investment was required.

It sickened me when he was sacked by idiots who know nothing about football. However, I never really warmed to him and I don’t think he was the right fit.

But, yeah, he was right.

AndySmith1990

Reaching semifinal is the new Man United standards apparently.
Winning trophies is, and he did that. Best manager we've had post Ferguson. Not that the bar is high, but the hate towards him on a personal level prevents people from acknowledging his achievements as a manager.

dcrompton

Saw Jose on SSN yesterday saying he won 3 titles at United! Community shield is not a title, it’s a pre-season friendly! Made me think how small time Jose has become. Yes, he was probably right about Pogba and Martial but his comments after the Sevilla loss should have seen him sacked there and then

He achieved a lot considering the conditions he was working under. I thought the club should have backed him over the players and should have given him more backing to sign players. For sure he spent a lot but we had a lot of ground to make up and investment was required.
Also worth noting here that we had just finished level on points with City when Mourinho and Guardiola got the jobs.

In Rainbows

Saw Jose on SSN yesterday saying he won 3 titles at United! Community shield is not a title, it’s a pre-season friendly! Made me think how small time Jose has become. Yes, he was probably right about Pogba and Martial but his comments after the Sevilla loss should have seen him sacked there and then
3 trophies sounds better than listing the fact that 2 of them were the League Cup and Community Shield. Would rather have LVG's FA Cup over the Europa League too.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Manager who delivered us two trophies and our highest point total post-Fergie? You have it twisted, it’s too bad our club is a disaster and wasted a world class manager.
Yeah and people thought we were gonna lift off after that even though we fluked both of those cup wins. :lol:

el3mel

That Fa Cup under LVG was one of the most forgettable trophies I have ever witnessed as a United fan. Our toughest opponent was freaking Everton, even the final was against Palace. Nothing in that run was memorable.

The Europe League 2017 win alongside PSG game under Ole were the best nights post Fergie.

Pintu

Also worth noting here that we had just finished level on points with City when Mourinho and Guardiola got the jobs.
Yes we closed down that gap in the last few games after they hade secured their Top 4 spot and no longer could win the title. It’s ridiculous to compare the state of the 2 clubs at that point. They were 1 deflected Bale goal away from potentially reaching the CL final.

Will Singh

It’s really weird as now it’s easy to say Jose was right and we should have kept him and let him bring in the players he wanted, BUT at the time it seemed like he was the one who went about things the wrong way and literally looked like he’s throwing players under the bus. Jose was right and finishing 2nd being his best achievement says it all!

Giggs' right foot

That Fa Cup under LVG was one of the most forgettable trophies I have ever witnessed as a United fan. Our toughest opponent was freaking Everton, even the final was against Palace. Nothing in that run was memorable.

The Europe League 2017 win alongside PSG game under Ole were the best nights post Fergie.
Talking about tough opponents, do you remember our route in EL in 2017?

Fenerbache, Feyenoord and Zorya in the group - then St. Etienne, Rostov, Anderlecht, Vigo and Ajax. Ajax' first XI were on about 5 years younger than ours. Absolutely nothing spectacular about that run either.

jesperjaap

Entirely correct identifying the problem, but had no solutions to fix it.
Agree, he was a great manager, his achievements at Porto, Chelsea and especially Inter Milan were all superb. Was never for me the same after Real, cocky, cheeky, fun arrogance seemed to turn to a bitterness, has been average since, hasnt really adapted to the changes in football and Serie A is the right palce for him now I believe.

He was the wrong manager at the wrong time..but the only viable option. Think he did well in his first season but he had a short shelf life due to the bitterness and failure to adapt to the club, he wanted us to adapt to him.

But he did make a lot of good points, he did see a lot of the weaknesses beneath the big names....but whether it was backing or slighty out of date thoughts, he never fixed them and after that first window, the names he seemed to be linekd with were not right anyway. WOuld love to hear sometime genuine targets he wanted and were vetoed

el3mel

Talking about tough opponents, do you remember our route in EL in 2017?

Fenerbache, Feyenoord and Zorya in the group - then St. Etienne, Rostov, Anderlecht, Vigo and Ajax. Ajax' first XI were on about 5 years younger than ours. Absolutely nothing spectacular about that run either.
Ajax was stronger than any team we faced in that Fa Cup shitty run.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The never ending Jose myth. I just know if we are successful without Pogba people will come here and tell us again how right he was. If we are successful with Maguire Jose fans will again give him credit claiming how he should have been backed when he wanted Maguire in 2018.
Even a broken clock and all that. How anyone can use Pogba‘s (non) performances to defend Jose I will never know as he was the one who bloody bought him. Then there‘s Lukaku, Sanchez, buying Dalot and Lindelöf when there were far better options available. And that‘s just the off pitch stuff.
Him leaving Chelsea near relegation and Conte convincingly winning the title with them the following season just shows how right Chelsea were to get rid and how wrong we were to still appoint him.
But sure it‘s Jose who was right.

Giggs' right foot

Ajax was stronger than any team we have faced in that Fa Cup shitty run.
Maybe, but they didn't even win their league that season.

Saying the FA Cup was forgettable because of the opponents, and then also saying the EL was the pinnacle post-SAF moment just sounds bizarre to me, because our run that season - as you can see - is the most Europa Conferance League-sounding dross.

el3mel

Maybe, but they didn't even win their league that season.

Saying the FA Cup was forgettable because of the opponents, and then also saying the EL was the pinnacle post-SAF moment just sounds bizarre to me, because our run that season - as you can see - is the most Europa Conferance League-sounding dross.
They were still stronger than whatever shit we faced in that run. Half of our run back then was against Championship/League one level opponent, the other half was against WHU (finished 7th), Everton (finished 11th) and Palace (finished 15th). You realize how shit that is ? We faced only one freaking team from the top 10 in the Premier League in this Fa Cup run.

I myself celebrated winning the EL final against Ajax and the PSG win in Paris far more than this Fa Cup win you're talking about. Honestly, the only thing I was thinking about back then was "Ok fine, nice cup, when will he get sacked now?". Completely different from the enjoyment I got from Ajax final or Paris night.