So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

Red_Aaron

If we can't get poch I'd happily give him a shot.
By all accounts he's a great coach with great man management.
Be great to see what he could do with some genuine worldie talents.
At the very least we'd go on to the pitch with an attacking plan

Litch

I think he is a great shout but our problems are much deeper and the car crash the previous managers since SAF and now Jose have left is going to take some sorting. This is the worry for me cause who's available with that kind of CV.....

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Barca risked it with Pep
Real risked it with Solari and Zidane

Then theres been Liverpool with Rogers
Tottenham with Poch (Ya know, the guy everyone wants who's won just as much as Howe, but we can't seem to get cause Tottenham took a risk and we didnt)

But Howe, a young manager, playing the right way, has took a Bournemouth side from League 2, to a mid table Premier league side within 10 years, is unthinkable.
Same people who'd love Tuchel, Nagelsmann etc, ya know cause he's, well...not English

Last edited:

M16Red

All our say about today is next season with VAR the blatant penalty is given before the third. Score that and we're all level going into the final stretch. Not bad going.

Of course, the ref decided to ignore it for some reason.
Missed the game yesterday, how did you line up against City? Did you play 4411? With king back?

Supports
AFC Bournemouth
Missed the game yesterday, how did you line up against City? Did you play 4411? With king back?
Had to rejig as Lerma was suspended and Gosling and Adam Smith injured so it was 5-4-1 breaking in attack into a kind of 5-2-3

Begovic
S Cook Mings Ake
Francis Daniels

Surman L Cook
Fraser King
Wilson

As I've said on here before, Mings is one of the signings that people use to criticise Howe's transfer policy but he's a damn decent player and again looked good yesterday. He has suffered from lack of opportunity due to injury and now competing with Ake for a space. I don't know a single AFCB fan that isn't happy that we have him in the squad.

NoLogo

Barca risked it with Pep

Tottenham with Pep (Ya know, the guy everyone wants who's won just as much as Howe, but we can't seem to get cause Tottenham took a risk and we didnt)

But Howe, a young manager, playing the right way, has took a Bournemouth side from League 2, to a mid table Premier league side within 10 years, is unthinkable.
Same people who'd love Tuchel, Nagelsmann etc, ya know cause he's, well...not English
Howe is a great pick. I forgot about him in the discussion about Tuchel but he still makes my shortlist of managers that are worthy of having a shot at developing our next PL winning side. I think he has every attribute we should look for in a manager. His side plays entertaining modern football, he is a meticulous, hard worker who always seems to get the best out of most of his players and even improve them. He also knows how to build a side that fits the style he wants to play. I get that a lot of fans wanted us to take a proven option with LvG and Mou after the failure that was Moyes but I genuinely believe the way for us out of the rut is to bring in a young manager with a clear understanding of how to build a team befitting his style of football and not just looks for the big names or players he has worked with before and I think he would be one of the managers who fit this bill perfectly.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
For ease of football on the eye then I have no problem with Eddie Howe. My concern is that the club is run like a business (be it good be it bad, that's a seperate debate) Im not sure if Howe has the experience of standing upto Woodward and Arnold so he can do the right thing on the pitch

NoLogo

For ease of football on the eye then I have no problem with Eddie Howe. My concern is that the club is run like a business (be it good be it bad, that's a seperate debate) Im not sure if Howe has the experience of standing upto Woodward and Arnold so he can do the right thing on the pitch
Let's face it the club can only progress if Woodward is removed from any football matters. We can't have him not signing players because their name ain't big enough to sell enough shirts. If he is involved in football matters the rot will continue no matter what manager we hire.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Keep an eye on this guy as a candidate to manage us next year. He makes my shortlist alongside Poch who is my first pick.

starman

Almost did it at Preston and his record at Everton taking them to a top four finish as well as 5th the year later and a cup final all on no budget far and I repeat far outweighs anything Howe has achieved
You're reaching with "almost". He won the second division, that's its. You are making out Everton are as small as Bournemouth. He took over a midtable team, and made them into a top 6 team. And his next to no budget is compared to the top 4, not the rest of the league

RuudTom83

Honestly I can’t see this ending well if it were to ever happen...the media attention and scrunaty would chew him up and spit him out for a start.

Anyone quoting Zidane and Pep is a bizzare comparison as this club is an absolute mess on and off the field.

Acole9

Outstanding
I could see him setting us up like this:

De Gea
Francis Smalling Cook Daniels

Fraser Surman Pogba/Arter Martial

Goal poacher Rashford

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
let's not. the reason we are in the sodding mess we are is we got it wrong first time round with moyes. thinking a young manager with promise could step into our club. then we kept compounding the mistake. we need a manager with proven success (lots of it), possibly overseas than in England. Look how this is working for City, Liverpool and Arsenal. Howe? really not. Not sure I'd even take Simeone or Zidane. we moissed the boat with both Pep and Klopp. f we get it wrong again it'll be another five years in the wilderness. what we really need is better players

Trophy Room

let's not. the reason we are in the sodding mess we are is we got it wrong first time round with moyes. thinking a young manager with promise could step into our club. then we kept compounding the mistake. we need a manager with proven success (lots of it), possibly overseas than in England. Look how this is working for City, Liverpool and Arsenal. Howe? really not. Not sure I'd even take Simeone or Zidane. we moissed the boat with both Pep and Klopp. f we get it wrong again it'll be another five years in the wilderness. what we really need is better players
Like Jose? :lol:

shaky

A manager with a similar career progression to Howe's, in Germany, would certainly have their top teams keeping an eye on him. Our fans go on about wanting a young manager, with new ideas and less dinosaur tactics, yet mention Howe and most Utd fans turn their nose up at him, while coveting his foreign equivalents. I don't get it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
A manager with a similar career progression to Howe's, in Germany, would certainly have their top teams keeping an eye on him. Our fans go on about wanting a young manager, with new ideas and less dinosaur tactics, yet mention Howe and most Utd fans turn their nose up at him, while coveting his foreign equivalents. I don't get it.
Germany's a bit of a different case though in that, typically, there's only really one team who consistently expect to win the title. Obviously other clubs aim to do well and want to qualify for the CL, but there are very few who consistently find themselves in the top three/four, or who consistently expect to be there...as a result teams that drop down a bit might have to go for an option akin to Howe because they're struggling to attract big managers. Even although the PL can be unpredictable, the top six is generally quite predictable year-on-year now.

CM

I'd probably have laughed the suggestion of Howe off a few months ago but the more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to warm to the idea of him at United.

It would be a gamble but we've seen with messieurs van Gaal and Mourinho that the 'proven' type guarantees nothing. We need a coach, and he ticks many of the boxes of what we need of the next United manager.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd probably have laughed the suggestion of Howe off a few months ago but the more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to warm to the idea of him at United.

It would be a gamble but we've seen with messieurs van Gaal and Mourinho that the 'proven' type guarantees nothing. We need a coach, and he ticks many of the boxes of what we need of the next United manager.
I'm in the same boat, initially I laughed off the idea but the more I read into it and the more I saw of his Bournemouth team and what he'd achieved there the more convinced I became. He ticks all my personal boxes of what a United manager should be.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The only thing we should look for in a manager is what his play style would be, not the trophies won 5-7 years ago or things like that. Guys like Howe Poch tick most of the boxes required to be United boss. Just have interviews with them and if they seem like he ideal candidate hire them

NoLogo

The only thing we should look for in a manager is what his play style would be, not the trophies won 5-7 years ago or things like that. Guys like Howe Poch tick most of the boxes required to be United boss. Just have interviews with them and if they seem like he ideal candidate hire them
His play style and if he is capable of building a team that fits that playstyle. So yes I agree, I personally am through with managers that are supposed to be a quick fix and a galactico signing every year that doesn't fit into the team or philosophy of the manager. This nonsense needs to stop.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Both Howe & Moyes might not be proven enough but what you are missing is that both have different philosophy and playing style, there is a good possibility that both will have different impact or effect on us.

We tried LVG and Mourinho and look what happened?

Our players are better than Arsenal but they are playing better than us right now, what we really need is two leader like (SAF & DAVID Gill) who knows how to run football club, meet our philosophy, and don’t think about short term success.

johanovic

Howe+top DOF+keep carrick/mcKenna+throw in Roy keane as part of the coaching team to keep every player on their toes

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

I'm the same, not necessarily Howe but we need to think outside the box next time. There has to be a future great manager out there just like there are players, we just need to identify him. The 'big name' options available are uninspiring and no more likely to do any better.

dogwithabone

I’d worry about Howe’s ‘name’ in trying to attract the very best in the world and the transition from managing Bournemouth, who are really a L1 club in size, to taking on one of the biggest two or three jobs in world football.

Would be a massive gamble by us and a huge risk that yet another name is added to the list of those trying to get to grips with the job.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'd rather get Marco Silva - I just don't think Howe has the personality for a huge club, I really don't.

Silva has that bigger, more elite air to him.

I can imagine Silva competing for big trophies, but I can imagine Howe struggling with elite demands.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’d worry about Howe’s ‘name’ in trying to attract the very best in the world and the transition from managing Bournemouth, who are really a L1 club in size, to taking on one of the biggest two or three jobs in world football.

Would be a massive gamble by us and a huge risk that yet another name is added to the list of those trying to get to grips with the job.
We're not going to attract the very best anyway, no matter who our manager is. Besides, the United "Glactico" policy so far has been an utter failure.

CM

We're not going to attract the very best anyway, no matter who our manager is. Besides, the United "Galactico" policy so far has been an utter failure.
Agreed with the second part. We've also seen with Southgate for England that having an affable manager with fresh ideas can go a very long way.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Genuinely struggling to find any logic behind this. Howe plays better football and what he’s achieved with Bournemouth is a lot more impressive that anything Silva had done so far.
And likewise I'm struggling to find any logic behind anyone wanting Howe

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd rather get Marco Silva - I just don't think Howe has the personality for a huge club, I really don't.

Silva has that bigger, more elite air to him.

I can imagine Silva competing a for big trophies, but I can imagine Howe struggling with elite demands.
You'd have to say his transfer business since he came into the league has been great as well, gives me hope he'd not waste money like a lot of our post Fergie managers have. I'd put him ahead in terms of transfer dealings over the likes of Poch tbh

Enigma_87

You know who
Barca risked it with Pep

Tottenham with Poch (Ya know, the guy everyone wants who's won just as much as Howe, but we can't seem to get cause Tottenham took a risk and we didnt)

The difference is huge tho.

Pep was Barca's academy and Cruyff understudy. He understood the culture and also happened to inherit probably some of the greatest talents in midfield/attack at the same time.

Zidane was Real's B team manager and Morinho's assistant so he also knew the club inside and out.

Poch has won nothing so far and if we're looking for solid top 4 manager we might as well hire Wenger.

Howe is a nobody and flavor of the month at the moment. He can turn out great, he can as well be another Martinez.

We need an experience manager who managed top sides and financial backing on top of it.

dogwithabone

We're not going to attract the very best anyway, no matter who our manager is. Besides, the United "Glactico" policy so far has been an utter failure.
Maybe but you’ve got to be realistic here. Someone like Zidane who’s had an entire career playing and managing at massive clubs or Eddie Howe who’s barely been out of Bournemouthin his entire career.

Howe is probably as competent as Zidane on the training field but managing a global club encompasses stuff that he just won’t relate to whereas a Zidane would fit in seamlessly.