So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

Seasider53

Would be a good choice. My only concern is that his time at Burnley didn't exactly go to plan. One club man?

Enigma_87

You know who
Who would you want that is realistic? If you don't pick anyone, it means you get Neil Warnock.
Cholo by far. Then Conte, Zidane.

I know those are not popular among our fans as everybody wants attacking and successful football, but we need a manager who will first stabilize the club and get it back on winning track.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Maybe but you’ve got to be realistic here. Someone like Zidane who’s had an entire career playing and managing at massive clubs or Eddie Howe who’s barely been out of Bournemouthin his entire career.

Howe is probably as competent as Zidane on the training field but managing a global club encompasses stuff that he just won’t relate to whereas a Zidane would fit in seamlessly.
Zidane did exceedingly well at Real Madrid, but we're not Real Madrid. The players he had a hold of we can't even dream of at the moment, I'm not taking anything away from what he did there but we can't ignore that the calibre of players he inherited there is genuinely a manager's wet dream. I also disagree that he'd fit seamlessly here, even before he became the Madrid manager he was an important member of the club behind the scenes, he knew the players and had a close working relationship with Perez and all this stems from a very personal connection to the club he's had since playing there. That's something he's never had here. Our situation is completely different to Madrid's.

I'm not saying Howe is definitely going to be our saviour and the next Pochettino or anything like that but I've seen evidence that Howe is capable of building and rebuilding a team, if we had an excellent team already then yeah I'd be happy for us to go for Zidane but the reality of the situation is that we don't have an excellent team, we need someone who's going to rebuild us and in my eyes Howe looks more suited to that role than Zidane would.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

I know those are not popular among our fans as everybody wants attacking and successful football, but we need a manager who will first stabilize the club and get it back on winning track.
I like Conte and admire what Simeone has done at Atletico but they are not really going to give you (not necessarily you but Man United fans generally) attacking or beautiful football. Zidane would be fascinating but I just can't see it.

The Irish Connection

And that's good enough for Utd?
Considering where we are currently, yes.

I’ve learned a lot about the influence of managers on teams in the last few years, and I think a hard working, fluid attacking style and tactics would get more out of our squad.

Not sure I could deal with crazy Monkey-man Conte throwing his shitty antics about for 90 minutes on the touchline while being bored to tears with his footballing philosophy.

Enigma_87

You know who
I like Conte and admire what Simeone has done at Atletico but they are not really going to give you (not necessarily you but Man United fans generally) attacking or beautiful football. Zidane would be fascinating but I just can't see it.
It's not only the manager, but the general structure in the club.

I don't believe even someone like Poch can withstand the pressure at our club at the moment. The problem is that we're playing dysfunctional football currently, not necessarily defensive one and as you know clubs set up differently playing against Bournemouth and United. It's one thing to work your magic as the underdog and quite another if every game is a must win.

To be honest I'd like us to move away from Brits as managers for a while. They are constantly overrated and having more of a continental ideas would help us in the long run.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If we had DoF and a proper structure it would be a no brainer as then he would have someone to help him with transfers and make the transition much easier for him. If he fails, you just go for another coach who is in line with the club project.

So, that is another thing I'm pissed with the board as current state massively reduce our menagerial options or make them much riskier than that would be the case in most other clubs.

Saying that, I would still take the risk with him.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not sure I could deal with crazy Monkey-man Conte throwing his shitty antics about for 90 minutes on the touchline while being bored to tears with his footballing philosophy.
He is attainable and to me much better option than someone like Howe.

Say what you want about him, but he was great at Juve, done a fantastic job for the NT(considering how crap are they now after he stepped down) and won Prem being far from the favorite from the season start and beating the 90 points mark to do it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think only way he gets a job like Man. United is if you sack Mourinho now.

Approach and give him contract until end of season and then extension if he makes top 4 or wins a cup. Bit like when Spurs gave Sherwood half a season.

If it dosen't work out he'd still easily get a job elsewhere. Get the feeling because Woodward is transfixed by the club brand he'll keep wanting to appoint worldwide known managers.

Sir Scott McToMinay

A.Madrid can barely score goals with Griezmann and Diego Costa upfront and players like Koke and Saul behind them, it will be worse than under LvG in attacking terms and far worse in terms of dominating possession.
I would rather not go through something as disheartening and unwatchable again, even if it means we won’t be winning the odd cup here and there for a couple of years.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He is attainable and to me much better option than someone like Howe.

Say what you want about him, but he was great at Juve, done a fantastic job for the NT(considering how crap are they now after he stepped down) and won Prem being far from the favorite from the season start and beating the 90 points mark to do it.
He also got Pogba playing at Juve.

dogwithabone

Zidane did exceedingly well at Real Madrid, but we're not Real Madrid. The players he had a hold of we can't even dream of at the moment, I'm not taking anything away from what he did there but we can't ignore that the calibre of players he inherited there is genuinely a manager's wet dream. I also disagree that he'd fit seamlessly here, even before he became the Madrid manager he was an important member of the club behind the scenes, he knew the players and had a close working relationship with Perez and all this stems from a very personal connection to the club he's had since playing there. That's something he's never had here. Our situation is completely different to Madrid's.

I'm not saying Howe is definitely going to be our saviour and the next Pochettino or anything like that but I've seen evidence that Howe is capable of building and rebuilding a team, if we had an excellent team already then yeah I'd be happy for us to go for Zidane but the reality of the situation is that we don't have an excellent team, we need someone who's going to rebuild us and in my eyes Howe looks more suited to that role than Zidane would.

We might not be Real Madrid but we are more Real Madrid than we are Bournemouth, that’s for sure.

Enigma_87

You know who
A.Madrid can barely score goals with Griezmann and Diego Costa upfront and players like Koke and Saul behind them, it will be worse than under LvG in attacking terms and far worse in terms of dominating possession.
I would rather not go through something as disheartening and unwatchable again, even if it means we won’t be winning the odd cup here and there for a couple of years.
He probably have rebuilt 2-3 teams at Atletico tho, having a fraction of the budget he'd have at United. He terrific in terms of man management and can raise the level of the players making them play as a team and having coherent style - all that we lack at the moment. Sure he's not easy on the eye, but was Fergie after 06' in many games as practical to win big games?

He also got Pogba playing at Juve.
That too if we want to protect our 100m investment. Knows the league and currently attainable. Could also bring him in January as this season is into the bin already.

Stactix

It's not only the manager, but the general structure in the club.

I don't believe even someone like Poch can withstand the pressure at our club at the moment. The problem is that we're playing dysfunctional football currently, not necessarily defensive one and as you know clubs set up differently playing against Bournemouth and United. It's one thing to work your magic as the underdog and quite another if every game is a must win.

To be honest I'd like us to move away from Brits as managers for a while. They are constantly overrated and having more of a continental ideas would help us in the long run.
I feel Conte would be similar to Mourinho, lift the team up for a few seasons then fall out and Utd underperform. Not to the extent of Mourinho but I don't see Ed and Conte getting along that's for sure..

With Simeone, he'd be a big upgrade On Mourinho but then hiring him kinda cements Utds position as a defensive team..
He'd be great in the CL/ top 6 match ups I feel but against the bottom half it won't be very enjoyable.

I just think Utd need 3 years with a progressive manager with an enjoyable style, forget trophies for a minute and try to a build a team that can compete with City toe to toe without 10 men behind the ball. For that to happen Utd have to take a risk.

I'd be open to Zidane though, it's still a big risk but 3 back to back Cl's is an incredible achievement even with Ronaldo.

Last edited:

fergosaurus

After six seasons of depressingly boring football I'd much rather take a punt on someone like Howe than have Conte stink the place out.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A few years ago I would have said style matters much less than results but I've gradually come to the conclusion that at this sort of club you need to start with the type of football the manager plays and build for results from there.

The problem with a results-first manager is that they need to be getting results. If they are then everything is fine (albeit with some grumbling about the style of play) but when they're not then they offer little else. Manchester United being Manchester United, this almost immediately results in an inordinate amount of negative pressure and attention piling on the manager. Which is a problem when we're far enough behind the likes of City and Liverpool at the minute for there to be a limit on the scope of "results" we're likely to achieve in the short/medium term.

Whereas if you opt for a progressive, attack-minded manager then there's at least something to build on and point to if/when results aren't going well. Progress can then initially be measured in performances as well as results, which acts as a ballast to the negativity that has surrounded the club in recent years.

Imagine we were in Arsenal's position at the minute. In terms of results fourth place would be nothing special from our point of view as that seems to generally be the minimum we look for in a manager. In terms of performance though their attack orientated approach would be a godsend. We would already see a capacity for continued improvement over the next couple of seasons even greater than our current league position alone suggests. That promise of better things to come would bring its own stability (for a while at least).

Ultimately any manager we hire should bring both style of play and results. Of the two though performances should be the easier to improve initially, even if results are ultimately the more important measure of success. Opting for a manager who will always struggle in regards to the former means he's on the backfoot from the very start.

I don't know if Howe will ever be good enough to manage a club this big and I would certainly hope there are better options out there. Given a choice between a results-orientated manager who plays negative football and Howe though, I would opt for Howe.

Enigma_87

You know who
I feel Conte would be similar to Mourinho, lift the team up for a few seasons then fall out and Utd underperform. Not to the extent of Mourinho but I don't see Ed and Conte getting along that's for sure..
Conte won't build a legacy that's for sure but will stabilize our current condition and we can win some time to build a proper structure - hire director of football, etc.

With Simeone, he'd be a big upgrade On Mourinho but then hiring him kinda cements Utds position as a defensive team..
He'd be great in the CL/ top 6 match ups I feel but against the bottom half it won't be very enjoyable.
It wasn't under LvG either, despite playing possession football. Think Cholo can be very versatile in approach and given proper financial backing he can have a team that creates more chances in the attacking third.

I just think Utd need 3 years with a progressive manager with an enjoyable style, forget trophies for a minute and try a build a team that can compete with City toe to toe without 10 men behind the ball.
3 years is long time in football. I'd have Chelsea's approach to be honest and they rarely appoint wrong managers(no one has 100% of course), but Mourinho, Conte, Sarri are all quality choices, playing different football and formations, yet they have been around the top and won 2 titles in the last couple of seasons.

The football Bournemouth are playing won't really transfer at United because of multiple factors. That and you need a bigger characters than Howe to control Pogba and the likes.

If the things turn sour an inexperienced manager like Howe can easily lose the dressing room as he's more replaceable than say Pogba, compared to a manager with much bigger credentials.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Conte won't build a legacy that's for sure but will stabilize our current condition and we can win some time to build a proper structure - hire director of football, etc.

It wasn't under LvG either, despite playing possession football. Think Cholo can be very versatile in approach and given proper financial backing he can have a team that creates more chances in the attacking third.
On your first sentence, wasn't that exactly what Mourinho was hired to do

On your second sentence. People have styles. Jose won't change, neither will he.
He has some great attacking players, still plays how he does.

Edit:
And on your third sentence. We have an experienced manager whose lost the dressing room and we're stuck with him because he's a big name manager on a big contract which we don't want to pay off

Enigma_87

You know who
On your first sentence, wasn't that exactly what Mourinho was hired to do
He was and he did after LvG. We did better and haven't missed on CL football so far, 2nd place - highest position after Fergie and won an European trophy. So far it has worked. This season things aren't doing well and if he can't bring the results anymore we should bring another top manager in.

On your second sentence. People have styles. Jose won't change, neither will he.
He has some great attacking players, still plays how he does.
It's easier to follow a blueprint at Atletico considering he can rarely keep his top players. At United things would be different and he can build on world class players. He can't bring in superstars like Pogba at Atletico, neither he can always keep his best players. Cholo is also young and has shown he can adapt.

Edit:
And on your third sentence. We have an experienced manager whose lost the dressing room and we're stuck with him because he's a big name manager on a big contract which we don't want to pay off
Do you think Howe would bench Pogba when he's off form and get away with it?

Paying off big happens quite often at big clubs and United won't really be different. That criticism should be taken to Woodward who recently gave him his new contract and refused to back him up in the Summer.

UncleBob

Personally I'm getting tired of the manager merry-go-round that exists, big name managers more or less managing every top club, then again that's modern football for you.

Ref Diego Simeone, easily one of, if not the, most loathed manager in Spain, more or less makes Mourinho look like a positive manager. Quite a few like Atletico Madrid because they've upset Real Madrid and Barcelona on quite a few occasions, but they're an absolute bunch of....Being anything like them would be another blow to my general interest in football. Not sure why anyone would have a romantic view of them.

Not sure why so many are worried about player x or player y being benched under a new manager. Hopefully we're not selecting a new manager based on who players might accept being benched by.

Stactix

3 years is long time in football. I'd have Chelsea's approach to be honest and they rarely appoint wrong managers(no one has 100% of course), but Mourinho, Conte, Sarri are all quality choices, playing different football and formations, yet they have been around the top and won 2 titles in the last couple of seasons.

The football Bournemouth are playing won't really transfer at United because of multiple factors. That and you need a bigger characters than Howe to control Pogba and the likes.

If the things turn sour an inexperienced manager like Howe can easily lose the dressing room as he's more replaceable than say Pogba, compared to a manager with much bigger credentials.
I think it's hard to say how well Howe would do with our players, both LVG & Mourinho have failed. Mourinho failed epicly at Chelsea in the final season and many of his players completely turned on him. He's one of the most successful managers still in the game.
Wenger lost the players towards the end, extremely experienced at Arsenal
Conte lost some of the players at Chelsea so I just see a similar situation occuring to Mourinho.
Conte gets the players reaching their actual heights for a season/two win some cups finish top 4 perhaps. Then 3rd season, we're waiting for him to be sacked once more and the 'stability' is once moreneeded.

After reading some of the posts about the history of Howe, it's pretty impressive not only did he get Bournemonth to the Prem, he was royally fecked up the arse along the way.

My vote is hiring a dof, Eddieboy keeps to his commerical side. Mourinho is sacked effective immediately, an interim is brought in for the remainder of the season.
While a long term plan is formed. Need to get this club sticking to it's values after managers go, not flip flopping every new manager.

Ban

After all the crying about our style seeing people wanting Conte and Simeone is pretty strange.
As for Howe we could try with him but would the players respect a manager coming from Bournenouth, with all due respect.
Also you can forget any long term planning while the current crew is on the top of the club.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
I don't think Howe will be anywhere near the list of managerial targets we would be after

I think Pochettino, Marco Silva, Bruno Genesio, Zidane would all be miles ahead of him in the pecking order
Marco Silva and Bruno Genesio, really? How can you put them above Eddie Howe? Ok, Silva won a Greek title but his record at Hull and Watford is hardly inspiring and Genesio has won nothing even though he's at 1 of France's bigger clubs. I'd take Howe above them 2 any day.

NoLogo

After all the crying about our style seeing people wanting Conte and Simeone is pretty strange.
As for Howe we could try with him but would the players respect a manager coming from Bournenouth, with all due respect.
Also you can forget any long term planning while the current crew is on the top of the club.
I certainly want neither Conte nor Simeone.

Zidane, we can talk about but I'm skeptical he can actually rebuild a side, he pretty much jumped ship at Madrid when he realized that a complete rebuild was coming which doesn't give me too much confidence in him actually being able to do that.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
You need a young energetic Manager. Forget about the job being too big for a young coach just because its manchester united. Those days are gone. You are getting left behind. Get a coach

Champagne Football

Marco Silva and Bruno Genesio, really? How can you put them above Eddie Howe? Ok, Silva won a Greek title but his record at Hull and Watford is hardly inspiring and Genesio has won nothing even though he's at 1 of France's bigger clubs. I'd take Howe above them 2 any day.
To be honest right now I'd take Howe in a heartbeat over Jose. He'd be a huge upgrade working with a decent DOF. Get Jose out fast. Pochettino is by a mile the one we need but might not be available anytime soon so I'd happily see Howe get an 18 month contract to see what he can do.

You need a young energetic Manager. Forget about the job being too big for a young coach just because its manchester united. Those days are gone. You are getting left behind. Get a coach
I agree - who do you think we should be looking at?

Hawks2008

Honestly I don't think I'd mind Howe. Not my first, second, or even third pick but I wouldn't be upset if he was appointed if a little underwhelmed.

Selbourne

Just sick of hiring dinosaurs as managers that are way too stuck in their ways. After 3 of them, a young exciting manager would be a huge breath of fresh air to this club. Doesn't have to be Howe, although I'm a huge fan of him, just someone that's energetic enough to adapt.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Both Howe & Moyes might not be proven enough but what you are missing is that both have different philosophy and playing style, there is a good possibility that both will have different impact or effect on us.

We tried LVG and Mourinho and look what happened?

Our players are better than Arsenal but they are playing better than us right now, what we really need is two leader like (SAF & DAVID Gill) who knows how to run football club, meet our philosophy, and don’t think about short term success.
ypu xseem to missing the point that Arsenal took a successful manager from Europe. and their players are way better than ours

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
ypu xseem to missing the point that Arsenal took a successful manager from Europe. and their players are way better than ours
Successful winning Europa league and Ligue 1??

Jose Mourinho is more proven than Emery and most of their players are exactly the same as their players last season. If you ask everyone before the start of season, everyone will say Arsenal had less chance to finish above United. So am I missing something here?

lsd

The Oracle
Would be an absolute disaster and i pray we would never ever be stupid enough to appoint another rabbit in the headlights manager again.

Moyes is still infecting us and Howe would just be the final nail in our coffin .

I hate Jose with a passion but I'd keep him forever ovet Eddie fecking Howe

izec

Simeone and Conte :nono:

Simeone wont take the job anyway, even if offered. Conte is much more probable, but i dont want him. We dont have to repeat Chelsea's mistakes every time.

Aloysius's Back 3

Whilst Moyes was a rabbit in the headlights manager - he was a manager who came after SAF. A manager who came to manage a bunch of players that had won the league the year before. A manager who came to manage the biggest and most successful club in England that was retrospectively on its last stages of an era.

Howe can't do any worse than we are currently doing now under Jose. Only player that would contemplate moving is de Gea - a player who has a right to be frustrated with his career thus far. Other than that - I don't see how having another top 8 season is going to affect us all that badly. Alpt of the players we have are playing for a badge of honour & won't be wanted by other clubs until they themselves have a good season.

We got to take a risk on a manager like Howe because in my opinion the negative effects is low on what we already have but the positive aspects are high. A good team playing football the right way, a manager who himself can grow at United at a time it needs growing itself, a homegrown manager that if works can stay here until he retires.

It's the Same reasons I would not mind seeing butt or Carrick given the role.

We can get worse by 5% max - better by 50%.

Whilst we are down - let's get dirty :drool::drool: