So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Easy to just put it that way and yes we’ve been shit but there’s literally zero pressure on them to play well. Nobody gives a shit. Teams turn up against us and hate us and we aren’t good enough to deal with it.
That’s not really true, they were in a relegation battle until a couple of games ago.

Plus they had a team that wasn’t capable of winning a game before he joined.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
People forget the run that we went on when Bruno arrived.

The mental boost of going into training and seeing better players come in in January will have restored belief.

The likes of Burnley have Bardsley on the bench still and Newcastle brought a La Liga winner (albeit one that got injured after a good start)

Just seeing how far Bruno Guimaraes was ahead of the rest of their midfield would have given them the same boost that Bruno did for us initially.

The competing teams have players like Westwood and Normann in the same position.

Im not saying he hasn’t done well, but the mental boost of bringing in £100 million pounds of players will have helped enormously. Just feeling better than the sides around you is a massive boost.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That’s not really true, they were in a relegation battle until a couple of games ago.

Plus they had a team that wasn’t capable of winning a game before he joined.
They always had plenty of time to get out of it tbf and they signed one of Lyon’s best players. The whole mood around the club changed with the takeover anyway so they were always going to ride that wave.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They always had plenty of time to get out of it tbf and they signed one of Lyon’s best players. The whole mood around the club changed with the takeover anyway so they were always going to ride that wave.
They had time but so did other clubs who have failed to stay up after changing manager. No side has stayed after winning 0 matches in their first 14. It’s looking like he’s not just going to do that but he’s going to stay up with a very respectable mid table finish too.

He has improved loads of the players they had before too. Joelinton is a completely different player for example.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not to be too "they spent 100m in January", but, they spent 100m in January
Bruce got a £160m spend (on game changers for that level like ASM, Willock, Lewis and Wilson aswell as the likes of Frazer on a free and Jethro Willems on loan) to get the same results as his predecessor and that was constantly parroted to claim what a good job he was doing and that Newcastle fans were being unreasonable to want him out.

That said I don't think Howe will be the man to take them to the very top but he's doing a top job so far huge spend or not.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They had time but so did other clubs who have failed to stay up after changing manager. No side has stayed after winning 0 matches in their first 14. It’s looking like he’s not just going to do that but he’s going to stay up with a very respectable mid table finish too.

He has improved loads of the players they had before too. Joelinton is a completely different player for example.
Yeah they’re buzzing they’ve got better players around them. They were always going to improve under those conditions. He’s a better manager than Bruce too.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
32 points out of 45 would translate to 81 points over the course of a full season.

Granted, it's not that simple, but regardless - he's done a phenomenal job.

Abraxas

Unbelievable so far. When you look through what he did at Bournemouth in its totality, it's pretty incredible what he put together there.

He showed a few weaknesses in terms of signings as his Bournemouth spell progressed in the PL, which was very costly. Also never quite convinced he had the nous to set up a side tactically to be tough to beat. They just leaked and leaked goals and got relegated.

But suddenly he's got a massive chance to add to his CV at Newcastle. Certainly a manager that's still on the ascendency and to be looked out for. Overall his record is good, I don't get too concerned with the odd season or set of decisions for a young manager, it's the overall trend that's important.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
New manager bounce is nothing new along with £91m to bring in new players in January. This has lifted the squad.

I wouldn't judge too much until the bounce and good feeling of the new players arriving wears off.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
New manager bounce is nothing new along with £91m to bring in new players in January. This has lifted the squad.

I wouldn't judge too much until the bounce and good feeling of the new players arriving wears off.
He was really good for Bournemouth too to be fair

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not to be too "they spent 100m in January", but, they spent 100m in January
Trippier played about two games before getting injured. They also lost Wilson in December and he hasn't come back yet so they may not have signed Chris Wood either who's been a poor fit for their style.

Took a while to integrate Bruno Guimaraes but he's looking class now.

Have to say he's proved me wrong. I thought coming in mid season it would be too much to change team who were playing dismal football under Bruce and with all the pressure of the takeover but after taking two months their form now is excellent and they look good to finish top 10.

In a funny way he's probably put more pressure on himself than finishing 17th as now fans and perhaps ownership will be expecting european challenge next season and that's not as simple over full season.

Will certainly put himself back in contention for England job post Southgate anyway.

bucky

I didn’t realise spending money guaranteed results. It can help if spent wisely / you buy world class players but they didn’t exactly buy world class talent + the one they arguably did has been injured for a decent extent.

They were in a position where no other PL team has managed to survive before. They’ve gotten into a position where they could still finish in the top half of the table. That is a massive achievement, money or no money.
If you are able to bring in one of the most talented midfielders in Europe, who would start sooner or later for most CL teams, that definitely makes a difference. Just because United and Everton have been god-awful at spending money, doesn't mean it can't mean success for other teams.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If you are able to bring in one of the most talented midfielders in Europe, who would start sooner or later for most CL teams, that definitely makes a difference. Just because United and Everton have been god-awful at spending money, doesn't mean it can't mean success for other teams.
As said above Steve Bruce spent plenty there. I mean he inherited Joelinthan who they'd just paid about 40m for. Likes of Calum Wilson, Saint Maximn and Joe Willock were in 20m + bracket.

Dan-Utd

One of the best things about Eddie Howe being at Newcastle is that this is the first time an English manager has been able to splash the cash from the Rich owners, so it will be nice to see what an English manager can achieve when throwing money at it.

I'm not sure the Newcastle squad he inherited was as bad as people think it was though, Steve Bruce was the manager and unless you have a squad of over 33's who want to play hoof ball, he'd have a job getting young players to want to bother taking his tactics on board, when Benitez was there I wasn't surprised to see them doing well because on paper they did have some decent players, so it was odd that people though Rafa was the king and had Newcastle punching.

Watch a video of a Newcastle game with Steve Bruce in charge and then watch one with Eddie Howe in charge - the players seem to get back into their positions more quickly and they seem to get the ball down more and go for direct passes rather than risky passes... you could say that now they actually try to play football.

Bottom line? - good on Eddie Howe for allowing Newcastle United to play football again.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
2 of the 4 games he’s played 90 mins they’ve lost in. 6 of the 13 games he’s been involved in he has played 30 mins or less.

Their other star signing Trippier has only played 4 games.

like I said, the money has helped a bit but Howe has done an exceptional job in all areas.

bucky

As said above Steve Bruce spent plenty there. I mean he inherited Joelinthan who they'd just paid about 40m for. Likes of Calum Wilson, Saint Maximn and Joe Willock were in 20m + bracket.
So? They spent decent amounts on Joelinton and Saint-Maximin. Who they now are reaping the benefits for. Congrats, they aren't Burnley. The point is, that they'll be able to spend even more money, and being able to do what they did in January, isn't something that I am impressed by, even if Howe is doing a good job. What Brighton and Brentford have done is more impressive.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
One of the best things about Eddie Howe being at Newcastle is that this is the first time an English manager has been able to splash the cash from the Rich owners, so it will be nice to see what an English manager can achieve when throwing money at it.

I'm not sure the Newcastle squad he inherited was as bad as people think it was though, Steve Bruce was the manager and unless you have a squad of over 33's who want to play hoof ball, he'd have a job getting young players to want to bother taking his tactics on board, when Benitez was there I wasn't surprised to see them doing well because on paper they did have some decent players, so it was odd that people though Rafa was the king and had Newcastle punching.

Watch a video of a Newcastle game with Steve Bruce in charge and then watch one with Eddie Howe in charge - the players seem to get back into their positions more quickly and they seem to get the ball down more and go for direct passes rather than risky passes... you could say that now they actually try to play football.

Bottom line? - good on Eddie Howe for allowing Newcastle United to play football again.
Howe is just a head coach. There are others in charge for transfer.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So? They spent decent amounts on Joelinton and Saint-Maximin. Who they now are reaping the benefits for. Congrats, they aren't Burnley. The point is, that they'll be able to spend even more money, and being able to do what they did in January, isn't something that I am impressed by, even if Howe is doing a good job. What Brighton and Brentford have done is more impressive.
Frank and Potter have both been in charge for 2-4 seasons now and have had far longer to implement their ethos on the club and squad. Plus they’ve been lucky that the background culture at both of those clubs is excellent. Howe has gone into a club which was a shit show and has had to start from scratch, along with the background team.

bucky

2 of the 4 games he’s played 90 mins they’ve lost in. 6 of the 13 games he’s been involved in he has played 30 mins or less.

Their other star signing Trippier has only played 4 games.

like I said, the money has helped a bit but Howe has done an exceptional job in all areas.
One of those games was against Chelsea, if I recall it correctly, they struggled to beat Newcastle that day. He has been their best player in their last 4 games, I think, which they all won. He would have made a difference for you, he would have made difference for us. Just because he didn't do it instantly, doesn't change that. No doubt Howe has done a good job, but spending as much as they did was still beneficial to them and didn't just help a bit.

bucky

Frank and Potter have both been in charge for 2-4 seasons now and have had far longer to implement their ethos on the club and squad. Plus they’ve been lucky that the background culture at both of those clubs is excellent. Howe has gone into a club which was a shit show and has had to start from scratch, along with the background team.
Yes, and what did they do? They immediately poached Brighton's director of football.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
One of those games was against Chelsea, if I recall it correctly, they struggled to beat Newcastle that day. He has been their best player in their last 4 games, I think, which they all won. He would have made a difference for you, he would have made difference for us. Just because he didn't do it instantly, doesn't change that. No doubt Howe has done a good job, but spending as much as they did was still beneficial to them and didn't just help a bit.
Yes, and what did they do? They immediately poached Brighton's director of football.
yes, which will help in the long term. What we are seeing presently is Howe and his work.

Blood Mage

Good manager. Good enough to seriously challenge for major trophies? I don't think so but we shall see.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s been underrated for years. A very good manger that just happened to be written off by the social media crowd. Spurs should have taken a gamble on him after Poch and they would have been in a much better position right now. Think there’s a good few people who made their judgement and will be unable to judge him fairly as you so often see these days!

izec

Well they will spend plenty in the summer as well, so not sure that feeling will wear off that quickly.

bucky

glad you agree.;)
I just struggle to see Howe's good work in isolation to who their owners are, nor should it looked at it that way.

He's on gardening leave isn't he, talk he won't actually start work until November.
Considering they've already signed Burn from Brighton, are interested in Robert Sánchez apparently and have already pulled off Bruno Guimarães, I wouldn't be surprised, if he is already involved.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Good post.
They've taken more points than everyone bar Liverpool in 2022, but people will twist it to being all about the money. They won a load of games where Guimaraes was injured or finding his feet on the bench at the beginning.

He's taken probably the worst team in PL history added Chris Wood, Trippier for a bit and Matt Targett on loan and dragged them away from the bottom. Once he got Guimaraes settled in and fit kicked on to make them a top half team even losing Trippier.
That's absurd hyperbole sorry. They were completely rubbish but they weren't even at the dead last in the table when Bruce got sacked, never mind being the worst team in PL history. Offer Sunderland in 2003 or 2006 or Derby in 2008 or Norwich right now St. Maximum and Wilson and they'd bite your hand off and that's before you suddenly inject them to burst with blood money.

They're in good form and the tune he's gotten out of Joelinton and the way he's addressed his own defensive deficiencies in the past all definitely point to a job well done, but it's a team that was lower midtable last season, that will finish midtable this season, avoiding relegation after getting to spend ten times the money of the teams that will end up going down, pinching one of those team's starting striker to boot. It's a very relative achievement.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That's absurd hyperbole sorry. They were completely rubbish but they weren't even at the dead last in the table when Bruce got sacked, never mind being the worst team in PL history. Offer Sunderland in 2003 or 2006 or Derby in 2008 or Norwich right now St. Maximum and Wilson and they'd bite your hand off and that's before you suddenly inject them to burst with blood money.

They're in good form and the tune he's gotten out of Joelinton and the way he's addressed his own defensive deficiencies in the past all definitely point to a job well done, but it's a team that was lower midtable last season, that will finish midtable this season, avoiding relegation after getting to spend ten times the money of the teams that will end up going down, pinching one of those team's starting striker to boot. It's a very relative achievement.
Of course it was. For a start even at their worst they were better than Norwich and Watford. People act like the money saved them but he had pulled away from the bottom 3 mostly thanks to Trippier.

For what its worth with regards Chris Wood I think Weghorst is the better player and Burnley played a blinder there.

Paul_Scholes18

He is doing fantastic. That Newcastle squad is really weak I say, but he got them working together.

They deserved to beat us when we played them.

Loon

:lol:
Have this strange feeling he'll get dumped like Ranieri/Hughes once they pick up momentum and find a sexy manager.

Kag

He’s doing a really good job. That Newcastle side is horrible in most areas (I watch them every week), and they’re punching well above their weight.