So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

Wayne's World

Should he be getting the credit he deserves for what he has done for Bournemouth for the past couple of years? He's turned around a club who when he took over were in dire straits and were 91st out of the 92 clubs in England’s top four divisions, seven points from safety. He eventually got to safety and since then his managerial career has been pretty remarkable. In eight years he's not only turned the fortunes of Bournemouth around but he's arguably turned them into a top ten team this season.

He's laid foundations and his players believe in him, his signings have been pretty good and the likes of young Welsh midfielder David Brooks and club record signing Jefferson Lerma have hit the ground running this season. Signings like Ake, Wilson, Lewis Cook etc have all improved under his management too.

So is he ready to make the next step and become a manager of a top 6 side or even us. Look whatever happens after Mourinho, there's no sure things out there for winning trophies like Guardiola is with City currently. Look I know people will conclude that this could turn out like Moyes and he'd find himself out of his depth but his style of football, his belief in players to play football the right way, his relationship with supporters and board is something we are lacking at Manchester United.

It would be a huge risk to take a chance at him and he hasn't won anything notably but at 40 years old, he's still a young coach and is no doubt the brightest in English football right now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's fecking brilliant imo. Very bizzare he's not praised in the Premier League given he's English.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Been saying it for a while, I'd actually give credit to Woodward if he'd take the risk on this lad.
Average team with an average budget yet has done well with them while playing attacking football.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think people don't want to praise him because they don't want to be seen to be praising him just because he is English.
It's a weird time to buck the trend though. He's taken the club so far and plays in the non traditional sense of punting it up.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think he's brilliant and is generally underrated due to the club he manages. The job he has done is incredible. I don't think he's always the best in the transfer market (though I'm not how it works at Bournemouth and how much control he has) but other than that he's a very good manager. Definitely deserving of a chance at a bigger club imo.

Canagel

I'm impressed. Really impressed. Bournemouth is one of the teams that play the best football in the PL today. Eddie Howe has done a great job down there.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This seems a bit premature and based off a patch of form. We’ll see where they end up come the end of the season. He still hasn’t got them into Europe, which Sean Dyche did and have they ever gone any distance in a cup?

That being said, he plays nice football.

starman

Been wanting him to be given a chance with a bigger club for a while. That said would like to see what he can do with Bournemouth this season

Nuts

How many seasons has he maintained good performances and results for, 4/5? Impressive to keep that up - then again, so have many others, like Moyes for example.

His next move will be interesting - see Moyes for what happens if leave an established environment and make the wrong decision with your next job.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Should he be getting the credit he deserves for what he has done for Bournemouth for the past couple of years? He's turned around a club who when he took over were in dire straits and were 91st out of the 92 clubs in England’s top four divisions, seven points from safety. He eventually got to safety and since then his managerial career has been pretty remarkable. In eight years he's not only turned the fortunes of Bournemouth around but he's arguably turned them into a top ten team this season.

He's laid foundations and his players believe in him, his signings have been pretty good and the likes of young Welsh midfielder David Brooks and club record signing Jefferson Lerma have hit the ground running this season. Signings like Ake, Wilson, Lewis Cook etc have all improved under his management too.

So is he ready to make the next step and become a manager of a top 6 side or even us. Look whatever happens after Mourinho, there's no sure things out there for winning trophies like Guardiola is with City currently. Look I know people will conclude that this could turn out like Moyes and he'd find himself out of his depth but his style of football, his belief in players to play football the right way, his relationship with supporters and board is something we are lacking at Manchester United.

It would be a huge risk to take a chance at him and he hasn't won anything notably but at 40 years old, he's still a young coach and is no doubt the brightest in English football right now.
Just posted in another thread that I’d rather watch them than us at the moment.

It’ll be really interesting to see what happens when someone takes a chance on him and he’s got some real players/money.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Actually fancy them to hand us a proper beating next week. Attacking and coherent team.

Chairman Steve

If we had a DoF system, I’d certainly take the punt on him and if it doesn’t work out, then we can quickly part ways and get a replacement in... just like what will probably happen with Bayern and Kovac, as well as Real and Lopetugi.

But as we’re stuck in this seemingly archaic way of managing the onfield stuff (seemingly trying to shoehorn a guy into the Sir Alex mould lazily so as to save money), he’d probably find all the shit in our squad a nightmare and he’d be overwhelmed at the amount of work he’d have to do because there’s no modern hierarchy in place to manage every facet of this massive world renowned club with very high standards well, and the board seem pretty clueless when comes to the football side of things.

It’d be the Two Eddies Show running stuff, and not 2-3 football directors supporting Eddie Howe to run the first team and win as many matches as possible (which it should be in my opinion)

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
This seems a bit premature and based off a patch of form. We’ll see where they end up come the end of the season. He still hasn’t got them into Europe, which Sean Dyche did and have they ever gone any distance in a cup?

He did take a club from league 2, to becoming an established premiership side. Dyche is also a very good manager, but Howe edges it for me.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I know people are obsessed with "proven winners" and appeal to accomplishment fallacies, but I think he could work out for United. He is an good, young, attacking English manager and has proven it in 3 divisions. I know he doesn't have a chance, but I would like to see him at a top club.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He did take a club from league 2, to becoming an established premiership side. Dyche is also a very good manager, but Howe edges it for me.
Agreed, I’m not trying to knock his achievements. I’m just surprised people forget they got thumped 4-0 by Burnley recently and it’s only 10 games in.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Agreed, I’m not trying to knock his achievements. I’m just surprised people forget they got thumped 4-0 by Burnley recently and it’s only 10 games in.
Nah I did get where you're coming from. I think it's hard for managers like Dyche and Howe to take the next step, because the big 6 will be looking for proven winners or experience, and anything else within the PL is basically a sideways step for those two.

CA1

I'd advise him to wait for the Spurs job to be honest. Pochettino probably will leave soon. He'll get to work with better players in a brand new stadium and will be closer to his South Coast base. He got homesick at Burnley apparently.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

They've been progressing ever year since promotion though. First couple of seasons was just about survival. Now they're better than that and targeting europa if it goes down to 7th like Burnley did.

Yes he's spent money but he's still got a good core of players he had in league one with him still featuring regularly....Charlie Danies, Steve Cook, Simon Francis, Andrew Surman etc.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Nah I did get where you're coming from. I think it's hard for managers like Dyche and Howe to take the next step, because the big 6 will be looking for proven winners or experience, and anything else within the PL is basically a sideways step for those two.
I do think he should move on, I thought Arsenal would have been perfect this season and he could replace Poch if he ever left, but I just get a bit miffed when people honestly think he could come in and manage United, which general where this praise ends up from people - not saying that’s what you’re saying, just explaining my skepticism.

Supports
AFC Bournemouth

Based on a patch of form? Last season was the the first season when he hadn't improved on our league position compared to his prior season managing us, and that goes across both spells. That's about seven years of constant improvement before last season's shocking (ha!) drop off in form, from 9th to 12th or 46 points down to 44 points. I'm reasonably confident we'll top that this year. Constant and regular improvement season by season isn't a purple patch. It's the exact opposite.

We've had an outstanding start to the season but it's also fair to point out we've only played Chelsea from the traditional big six. That will change as we have four out of the next six in the league against them, or six in ten. It's a very tough run and should give a true indication how far we've come since last season. We know we're definitely better against 'the rest' but can we put up a fight against 'the best'? If I'm honest I'll be very surprised if we're still sitting in the top six after that run but if we do find ourselves there then I think interest in Howe will start to gather a lot more pace.

His signings have also improved season on season. You have to remember our scouting department was basically non-existant five or six years back. A dvd player and some characters here and there from The Nowhere Men (excellent book, check it out) when needed. Building a Premier League level system where you can sift through all the available information and get the required players at the right price doesn't happen overnight but he's starting shopping abroad a little more and definitely has a good eye for players in the UK. Brooks being the obvious latest example.

I've waxed lyrical on here about him before over the past few weeks so won't bore you by repeating myself. Sadly for us I still think the most likely scenario is you taking Poch from Spurs and them taking Howe from us. If that should happen then I may find myself committing a serious crime... hacking the chairman's phone and blocking Pardew's number.

Reactions: Invictus

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How he's not been offered the England job I'll never know. Well, he might've been for all I know but you'd think he'd say yes.

Would definitely be on my shortlist of names if Jose went.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think Everton would be a good step up, they've taken managers at similar levels like Martinez, Koeman and Marco Silva in recent times and it's a club which spend money and have potential to be regular top 6.

spwd

Well our current and previous manager had all the stats and trophies and both turned to shit so nobody is a guarantee of success unless you have a bottomless pit of money (Could Pep do what Howe has?)

Ekeke

Has done really well, should be mentioned any time a top job comes up. Eventually someone will probably take a chance on him, no idea how he'll do

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I do think he should move on, I thought Arsenal would have been perfect this season and he could replace Poch if he ever left, but I just get a bit miffed when people honestly think he could come in and manage United, which general where this praise ends up from people - not saying that’s what you’re saying, just explaining my skepticism.
I think there are very few managers who could come to United and do a good job, the way it's currently set up anyway. It's such a massive job that I think it'd be above someone like Howe, and I rate Howe highly. You need someone who is either a proven winner or has a good track record at a big club.

Think Everton would be a good step up, they've taken managers at similar levels like Martinez, Koeman and Marco Silva in recent times and it's a club which spend money and have potential to be regular top 6.
Everton would have been perfect, I didn't mention them just because Silva has only recently taken over.

CA1

Well our current and previous manager had all the stats and trophies and both turned to shit so nobody is a guarantee of success unless you have a bottomless pit of money (Could Pep do what Howe has?)
We may aswell get a random man off the street because nobody is winning the league as United manager for a very, very long time.

Poisoned chalice. He should avoid us with his life.

spwd

We may aswell get a random man off the street because nobody is winning the league as United manager for a very, very long time.

Poisoned chalice. He should avoid us with his life.
That’s the spirit :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

To be fair... if you look at 2018 form then actually it's really impressive. Bournemouth are the highest of the chasing pack and not too far off Chelsea/Arsenal (although playing one game more with a worse GD). Point being, he's got them competitive with those clubs.

Arsenal - 26 games, 46 points, GD +22
Chelsea - 26 games, 46 points, GD +12
Bournemouth - 27 games, 44 points, GD +3
Everton - 26 games, 37 points, GD -4
Watford - 26 games, 35 points, GD -9
Leicester City - 27 games, 33 points, GD -3
Crystal Palace - 26 games, 32 points, GD -2

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's decent. Still not 100% convinced hes a top 6 manager, but he's definitely better than all the middle aged old timers that keep popping up in PL jobs (Hughes, Pardew, Pulis etc). He's started this season brilliantly though.

Callum Wilson is class n'all. He was in electric form before he got that awful injury. He looks to finally be getting back to that level.

macheda14

I was at the Fulham - Bournemouth match today and they were quite impressive for a lot of the match, both offensively and defensively. Really coherent style of attack and really well drilled at the back (with a feeeew lapses that could be put down to personnel rather than the system itself)

L1nk

Great man, great manager. Get the feeling it would be Moyes all over again though, well out of his depth.

freeurmind

weak willed
He's done really well and his team play some good stuff, not known for defensive solidity so I don't know if he would be able to solve our defensive problems. If Jose was to be fired he'd be near or at the top of the list of wanted replacements for me. Would be a massive step up and he'd need time but I think he'd be worth a punt.

M16Red

Great man, great manager. Get the feeling it would be Moyes all over again though, well out of his depth.
I'm wondring why people think this, look where are we and where are Bournemouth - Napoli didn't finish that high in the table and look at what Sarri is doing with Chelsea.

I've watched Bournemouth a couple of times and they play good SIMPLE football. All managers have risk, why not.. I've never seen this guy dig out his players.

Supports
AFC Bournemouth
If anyone is interested in the way he has changed our game tactically this season here's an excellent analysis:

https://www.football365.com/news/tactics-teaching-and-talent-bournemouths-transformation

The headline is always that he plays 4-4-2 but the real story is much more complicated than that. The team and tactics have evolved every single season in which he's managed us. Never a huge overhaul, just tweaked here and there and invariably it's resulted in improvements in results. Makes me believe he's a real student of the game that knows how to identify issues and implement fixes.

izec

You never know hiw these turn out. He could be brilliant for us or a complete failure. Ideally, he would do a middle step and then go to a top club, but sometimes you need to be bold. I would take him if we had a proper plan and a DoF