So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mourinho and even LVG to an extent ticked both these boxes.
Exactly.

Prior achievements and pedigree gives people comfort and familiarity but it isn't always the most important thing when it comes to future success.

Champagne Football

I don't think Howe will be anywhere near the list of managerial targets we would be after

I think Pochettino, Marco Silva, Bruno Genesio, Zidane would all be miles ahead of him in the pecking order

Classical Mechanic

His 'experience' has nothing to do with him having the charisma and or gravitas to manage a big club.

The problem with Moyes is that he was appointed through nepotism and the merits of his Scottishness after the board sentimentally allowed Fregie autonomy on choosing his successor.

When we appoint the next manager (hopefully) there will be an interview process where Howe (if he's on the shortlist) can make a case as to why he's the right man for the job. The board would then have to make the call on if his character is big enough for the club.

We can all hope that if Moyes was ever interviewed, he would have been binned off when he detailed his plan to elevate Rio and Vida to the style and level of Jagielka.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think Howe will be anywhere near the list of managerial targets we would be after

I think Pochettino, Marco Silva, Bruno Genesio, Zidane would all be miles ahead of him in the pecking order
Can I ask why you think that? Just purely based on the fact he's only managed Bournemouth at the top level?

SambaBoy

Howe would be a risk but there's only a few manager who wouldn't be considered a risk tbf and not many of them are attainable, and even Mourinho was considered relatively risk free (bring results, negative football) and he hasn't quite lived up to expectations in all fairness. If we finish outside the top 4 this season, that will be 2 out of 3 seasons he has failed to get top four.

Pochettino would be the best bet but even if he would consider leaving Spurs, he would be mightily hard to prise away. He's got a great squad there, new stadium incoming and a young, improving squad. I think he's there for the long haul.

haram

There was a stretch of PL games where he only won 1 in 10 just last season. Another separate stretch where he didn't win a game in 8 in the same season. We have no idea how he would handle big egos either.

Champagne Football

Can I ask why you think that? Just purely based on the fact he's only managed Bournemouth at the top level?
I think he's brilliant and I'd love to see him get the job and he will go places but he hasn't really shown he can often turn unpolished gems into superstars in the same way the likes of Klopp and Pochettino do regularly apart from maybe Nathan Ake but I do admit he's on a real shoestring at Bournemouth. But he's far more suited to the Utd way than Jose, Van Gaal and Moyes ever were.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he's brilliant and I'd love to see him get the job and he will go places but he hasn't really shown he can often turn unpolished gems into superstars in the same way the likes of Klopp and Pochettino do regularly apart from maybe Nathan Ake but I do admit he's on a real shoestring at Bournemouth. But he's far more suited to the Utd way than Jose, Van Gaal and Moyes ever were.
Yeah, Poch would be my first choice as he's experienced a title run in and he's worked with top players.

Obviously getting him will be tricky though. Levy will make us pay big time so we'd need to be sure.

Man City 3:1 Bournemouth

Nickelodeon

Impressive from Bournemouth in the first half. They've come up with a plan and are deservedly level at half time.

City with just 1 shot on target in the first half. Final result might be something else but Howe is doing really well with the resources he has.

Most importantly, the plan is not to roll over. Eddie Howe keeps on impressing.

Canagel

I hope the doubters are watching Bournemouth play against City. More than holding their own and more threatening than we ever were in the derby game

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's a good manager but imho he needs like a bridge club before jumping to a title chasing team. One could argue Bournemouth are now that club but I think he's needs experience in a bigger dressing room. It's hard to see that in England as their are no real clubs like that, you are either at B'Mouth and the step up is to a big 6 team. It would be interesting to see how he'd do there. I can see him at Spurs if Poch ever leaves... Would be interesting to see what would happen if Jose got the boot. I think he'd be well down the pecking order for United.

Nickelodeon

He'd end up being Moyes 2.0
So might everyone who starts at a relatively smaller club. It's all about scouting for the right manager just like it is for the players.

Coaches such as Conte, Sarri, Klopp all started with smaller clubs and someone took a punt at them for them to become elite managers.

No evidence to suggest Howe can't be one.

tedketterman

I hope the doubters are watching Bournemouth play against City. More than holding their own and more threatening than we ever were in the derby game
There's a difference between managing a team that can muster a plucky performance and a team that should be winning titles.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's a good manager but imho he needs like a bridge club before jumping to a title chasing team. One could argue Bournemouth are now that club but I think he's needs experience in a bigger dressing room. It's hard to see that in England as their are no real clubs like that, you are either at B'Mouth and the step up is to a big 6 team.
Sounds like United would be perfect :wenger:

Canagel

There's a difference between managing a team that can muster a plucky performance and a team that should be winning titles.
This isn't plucky. Everyone knows who Bournemouth are and what they are capable of producing. They'll probably lose but they stick to their style of play regardless of opposition. They are exceeding relative to the expectations .

Lemansky

I really like Eddie Howe. He is one of the managers I would like taking over when Mou is sacked.

Suvvernmanc

Watching Bournemouth going toe to toe with city is remarkable given the gap in finances, quality of players etc. They will probably lose the game but they are playing attacking football even though most teams won't as city are 'too good' yet they are holding their own and playing some great stuff too. Alot of the 2nd half has been played in city's half and they have pinned city back with controlled possession.

As write this, city have scored to make it 3-1 but this game still highlights what Eddie Howe has to offer a bigger club. I for one would take him in a heartbeat here. I think he's the best English manager for a very long time.

paulscholes18

We were much the better team apart from the first 15-20 mins. I see Eddie Howe is now getting well schooled at the Etihad.
We got schooled for 80+min at the Etihad, had a few minute spell after the penalty apart from that it was all City

RedIke

It's very easy to see the appeal. If for some reason he did get it, I would be understand and be skeptical. Just not sure he's ready for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

billybee99

To be honest I don't see too many top managers available out there currently, which is probably part of the reason why we have been persisting with Mourinho.

That said hiring Howe would basically be the same move we did with Moyes in 2013 - a mid-table manager who has overachieved with his current team but does not have any silverware to his name. It doesn't mean it'd necessarily be a bad move, we would certainly be more fun to watch but I don't remember too many cases in recent years where a top club would employ a mid-table manager and it would work out well for them. Usually when they tried they ended up getting average/mediocre results and were forced to replace him within 1-2 years. And some of them have done this from a much better position than us and it was easier for the new guy, at current United whoever comes after Mourinho will need to struggle for a while because of how little quality the team has. Look at Niko Kovac at Bayern. It's a very tough job.
Christ, I am tired of this comparison. Has it crossed any of your minds that maybe, just maybe, Moyes failed because he's a shitey manager. Not because he had no trophies, not because he was a mid-table manager, not because he had not managed primadonnas and big egos, but because he was a really, really shitey manager. And maybe not every other manager in the world who is currently at a midtable team would fail just because David Freaking Moyes failed. I don't watch Bournemouth so I don't know if Howe is the right guy for us but I'm sick and tired of this notion that because David freakin' Moyes failed, it must therefore follow, like night follows day, that every other manager who has never won the league or the champions league would somehow be over-awed and fall on their face in the mere presence of Paul Pogba or Jesse Lingard. It's ridiculous.

Supports
AFC Bournemouth
All our say about today is next season with VAR the blatant penalty is given before the third. Score that and we're all level going into the final stretch. Not bad going.

Of course, the ref decided to ignore it for some reason.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I like the idea of him it’s not so much the playing side as he would have us playing much more entertaining football but I think it’s just too big of a step up going from small Bournemouth to worldwide mega-brand united.