So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

Jezpeza

I read the feelings down here wrong. I've talked to over 30 Bournemouth fans today and every single one wants Howe gone from the club.
Idiotic manager. Dont know what group of players he thinks he is managing. They just lost one of their last remaining Winnable games, them come to old trafford and try and play nice free flowing football. Even if they pick up the odd unlikely point now, hes let the goal difference get bukkaked so its like having less points and its tight at the bottom.

Robbie Boy

Conceded 9 in the last 2 games, he's an absolute joke. Also, for all this talk of him being some great attacking manager with some defensive deficiencies: Bournemouth are 17th in the table for goals scored and only Villa and Norwich have conceded more. Think he has massive deficiencies as a manager full stop.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I read the feelings down here wrong. I've talked to over 30 Bournemouth fans today and every single one wants Howe gone from the club.
It's a difficult thing. Can understand fans frustration at a manager going stale at a club but at same time he knows the club inside out and holds it together which isn't an easy task for a club of its size.

Feels a bit to me like when Charlton got rid of Curbishley and then plumetted down into league 1 for much of the last decade. Bolton after Big Sam left also had similar decline.

I can honestly see Bournemouth fighting relegation to league 1 in 12 months time. Once they lose Axe, Calum Wilson, King and Brooks there isn't much there and they're not a big club by championship standards. Howe would probably have them pushing for play offs but someone from outside the club would probably have them in position to likes of Hull, Stoke, Boro and Huddersfield who all been in premier league since 2017.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They have debt and will almost definitely sell Ake, Brooks, Wilson and King if they go down.

It’s a massive black mark against Howe that those players are their only PL worthy standouts with so much time in the top division. So much money wasted on rubbish.

The other black mark is how they seem to be getting worse defensively with time. They still approach each and every game against top teams the same way and get absolutely smashed. It’s worrying and highly questionable that that continues to be the case after so many batterings. He doesn’t learn any lessons and any other PL team looking at him would do well to take that on board. (just compare Southampton today with Bournemouth yesterday after going 1-0 up, it’s typical of them)

Terrible transfer record, no evolution of the squad and no progress whatsoever on approach to games are massive red flags.

He has done really well with them over time, but there are far too many questionable characteristics about his style. If I was someone like Palace, I would stay well clear. They don’t have 100 million to waste on Lerma, Solanke, Ibe and the like, and being able to organise their defense is what has kept them comfortable in the league.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I checked one of their forum yesterday, some of them seem to think Howe should stay and restart again in Championship if goes down. Rebuild the team again with all the young players they signed and come back to PL. His recruitment been awful and not considered as upgrade.

Their best players still the same since they got promoted Wilson & King. Since then, I can only name Ake, Fraser & Brooks as the good signings & upgrades they ever made. Lerma did show promising at one point but it's been dead after one season. How can you expect to continue stay in PL if your majority key players are still the same for more than 5 years since promotion.

Womp

idiot
I like Howe and Bournemouth, they try to play some good stuff despite the talent at their disposal and they come off as a respectful club.

Almost locked on to be relegated with their remaining fixtures though, gonna be sad to see them go.

LVGSdive

And then there's Sean Dyche - not a media darling as he doesn't play the 'right way' - who's 18 points better off in the league having to work with less resources than Howe. The same Dyche that has consistently finished ahead of Howe and has kept a terrible Burnley side in the PL for years now. Howe, however has media protection on his side and he's made out to be a miracle worker. It's bizarre.

For me, he's a bit of a fraud just like Marco Silva.
You make it sound like it's the easiest thing in the world to do, as in get a club from league 2 to the Premier league and keep them there.

How many clubs and managers have done this? Which will tell you exactly how difficult it is to do.

fps

Howe has done an incredible job, unfortunately, not for the first or last time, when the purse strings were loosened he was operating in a different part of the transfer market and it’s not come off. That’s the difference between going to the next level like Wolves or the wheels falling off a squad that was overperforming constantly. Fraser declined to play the last bit of the season on a contract extension too? That’s quite depressing.

Last edited:

simplyared

Feel sorry for the guy tbh. He was heavily tipped in the media as Wengers replacement at Arsenal. If that had happened then who knows what he might have acheived. He's stuck where he is now, been there too long, not developed and his chances of going to a bigger club minimal.

fps

Feel sorry for the guy tbh. He was heavily tipped in the media as Wengers replacement at Arsenal. If that had happened then who knows what he might have acheived. He's stuck where he is now, been there too long, not developed and his chances of going to a bigger club minimal.
Sounds like a possible missed chance for both Howe and Arsenal, given how that club is driving itself off a cliff.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I agree. And his transfer record might have been better with Arsenal's scouting and player identification resources. But that said, he really has signed an absolute load of shite for Bournemouth. You could throw darts at a shortlist of players and possibly do better.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
You make it sound like it's the easiest thing in the world to do, as in get a club from league 2 to the Premier league and keep them there.

How many clubs and managers have done this? Which will tell you exactly how difficult it is to do.
This. It's really remarkable what he's done. You get one manager like this every decade basically - and I don't think we even had one in the 00s.

I have no problem with people slating him if this part of his record is at least acknowledged, but most of the posts in here seem to have reduced his body of work to about 12 months.

fps

This. It's really remarkable what he's done. You get one manager like this every decade basically - and I don't think we even had one in the 00s.

I have no problem with people slating him if this part of his record is at least acknowledged, but most of the posts in here seem to have reduced his body of work to about 12 months.
I wonder where he'll go next. If Villa get relegated he might get that job? In some ways that's a step up. I don't know how secure the managers of the potentially relegated clubs are.

Bojan11

They have a small chance. City next isn’t going to be pretty for them or their goal difference.

West Ham and Watford play each other. Watford got City and Arsenal. West Ham have got us and Villa.

They will need to win their last two games though.

RashyForPM

Played quite well against City didn’t they. Deserved a point at least, if not more considering their positive performance and who they were playing against, especially since they were away from home too.

Would like them to stay up, and if they win the rest of their games, they’ll do it. Always respect small teams who play gung-ho against all of their opponents, and I like Howe’s endeavour to the press and his fans. Was also willing Norwich on to pull off the great escape until their players downed tools.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Still think he would have been a good choice for Spurs to continue after Poch but they really blew that by giving the reins to Mourinho. Howe is pretty nice but I do wonder if his style of play would translate better with better players.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Feel terribly for him, seems a genuine nice bloke and he’d done a miracle job there

starman

Missed Brooks big time, they looked back to a potent attacking team since he's been back, unfortunately was too little too late.
IMO, United should be in for him if we can get him on the cheap now they are relegated...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wonder if he will leave. He has his flaws and one is probably that he’s too comfortable at Bournemouth. Think he had a poor stint at Burnley

El Zoido

Wonder if he will leave. He has his flaws and one is probably that he’s too comfortable at Bournemouth. Think he had a poor stint at Burnley
He should go to Villa. Reckon he could do a good job there.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Terrible investment over a period of 4 years that could have been used to consolidate their possession. Relegation is a result of a complete failure to evolve the squad over that time period, not a VAR decision

Also had a terrible tendency to purposely go out of cups every single year and potentially ruin any run or momentum in the squad.

I really wouldn’t want him after his PL performance if I were a PL side. The terrible tandem of woeful transfers and inability to coach a defence is always a massive danger near the bottom.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Gravity ran out for Bournemouth. Interesting they came up with Watford and gone back down with them and both have different strategies.

In last few games they actually played really well. What relegated them was losing 2-0 at home to Palace and 4-0 at home to Newcastle given how bad Palace have been since restart.

Plenty of good managers have got relegated. Think people need to look at wider picture a bit. Interesting situation what he does as think Bournemouth will completely implode if he leaves them.

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't think he's as good as people think. There was talk of him going to be a big club, I think he's blown that now.

He was rather emotional and non committal about his future, I think he'll walk away.

el3mel

The myth is finally over.
Thank feck.
Honestly same feeling. No hard feeling about the guy by the way, but some were actually selling him as a potential Man United manager when we were struggling. Ridiculous really.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't think he's as good as people think. There was talk of him going to be a big club, I think he's blown that now.

He was rather emotional and non committal about his future, I think he'll walk away.
Not as good but still shouldn't be written off. Will probably end up at Everton and West Ham in next five years so that will be his chance to show he can kick on.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So he's not Englands new managerial messiah after all?

I remember there was even some discussion on this forum that we should try him out?!

Untd55

Some people are really weird about him. He took a League 2 team, who were on the verge of bankruptcy, to the Premier League. He has done really well, keeping them in the PL for five seasons. Unfortunately, it was always going to end one way. They were going to get relegated eventually; there are limits to what you can do with a club like that. He has taken them to their pinnacle.

It took six seasons to get three promotions, which is a remarkable achievement. He has had a great career at Bournemouth, but I think it is probably time to leave.