So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

DelPotro

His obsession with mediocre and overpriced British players is his downfall. Look at Newcastle. Even though they have a horrible owner, they always seem to be able to get some bargains from the French league to help them stay up. I doubt we will see them back in the PL anytime soon.

Bojan11

Some people are really weird about him. He took a League 2 team, who were on the verge of bankruptcy, to the Premier League. He has done really well, keeping them in the PL for five seasons. Unfortunately, it was always going to end one way. They were going to get relegated eventually; there are limits to what you can do with a club like that. He has taken them to their pinnacle.
Let’s not make out he didn’t have any financial backing. They broke FFP rules to get in the premier league.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The myth is finally over.
Thank feck.
Not many managers would take, and keep Bournemouth in the premier league for goodness sake!

United was obviously silly talk, but an Everton, or West Ham would have been a decent step.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some people are really weird about him. He took a League 2 team, who were on the verge of bankruptcy, to the Premier League. He has done really well, keeping them in the PL for five seasons. Unfortunately, it was always going to end one way. They were going to get relegated eventually; there are limits to what you can do with a club like that. He has taken them to their pinnacle.

It took six seasons to get three promotions, which is a remarkable achievement. He has had a great career at Bournemouth, but I think it is probably time to leave.
It's the classic build em up and knock em down mentality people have isn't it.

Knee jerk nobbery, another phrase for it.

el3mel

It took six seasons to get three promotions, which is a remarkable achievement. He has had a great career at Bournemouth, but I think it is probably time to leave.
Again no hard feeling about the guy, but jump back to around 18-20th page of this thread and you'll see some were calling for him to be next United manager. It was ridiculous. It also happened with Silva if anyone actually remembers him.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Which one was that?
The Sheffield goal which crossed the line but Eagle Eye wasn't working, Villa went on to draw the game, basically that point kept them up.

Although in reality, Bournemouth being shit all season is what really sent them down.

starman

So he's not Englands new managerial messiah after all?

I remember there was even some discussion on this forum that we should try him out?!
Like Ole, who also experienced relegation.

I guess the fact he was named the LMA manager of the decade, took a team from the bottom of league 2 to the PL, kept them in the top league for 5 seasons, its the relegation that will define him, I guess...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Like Ole, who also experienced relegation.
I guess the fact he was named the LMA manager of the decade, took a team from the bottom of league 2 to the PL, kept them in the top league for 5 seasons, its the relegation that will define him, I guess...
Circumstances are not comparable at all.

Untd55

Let’s not make out he didn’t have any financial backing. They broke FFP rules to get in the premier league.
That was the 2014/15 season only with their promotion to the Premier League, not the other seasons. The club entered administration but was taken over at the last minute in League 2; the same season Howe got them promoted into League 1. And no, this was not the same owner as they have now.

They only spent £5m that season, so it wasn't even a big deal. It is just they were operating at quite a big loss. They were still recovering from their awful financial position.

Watford who finished second that season spent £8m,

RooneyLegend

It's a shame he's gone. His teams have provided many quality games since arriving in the prem. He's a good coach.

Untd55

Again no hard feeling about the guy, but jump back to around 18-20 page of this thread and you'll see some were calling for him to be next United manager. It was ridiculous. It also happened with Silva if anyone actually remembers him.
Considering we had someone who had pretty no Premier League experience in Solskjaer, I wouldn't say it was that absurd at the time. After someone like Ferguson, yes, you would laugh the idea off; heck, I didn't like the Moyes idea from the start, and he had a pretty good career at Everton.

In this instance, though, I think I do understand more why people considered it. I admit I considered it at the time, but he was far from my favourite choice.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Felt sorry for him in his post match interview, he was choked up. Give his all for Bournemouth and done them proud. Not sure staying is the best idea for him now and can then see Bournemouth struggling to get back for a while if ever

el3mel

Considering we had someone who had pretty no Premier League experience in Solskjaer, I wouldn't say it was that absurd at the time. After someone like Ferguson, yes, you would laugh the idea off; heck, I didn't like the Moyes idea from the start, and he had a pretty good career at Everton.

In this instance, though, I think I do understand more why people considered it. I admit I considered it at the time, but he was far from my favourite choice.
TBF, I doubt anyone here would have put Ole in their top 10 shortlist for United manager at any time before he was actually appointed. He was just appointed as a caretaker till the next manager, and his honeymoon period handed him the job, so yeah, I still think considering Howe to be United manager to be ridiculous. He's a good manager but for certain types and levels of teams, definitely not us. Spurs or Arsenal looked better fit for him among the top teams.

starman

Circumstances are not comparable at all.
Depends what narrative you are painting.
Both were relegated, I don't think it defines either, but you are clearly pushing it as a verdict for Howe that he can never manage a top team, he's only 42 ffs

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Both were relegated, I don't think it defines either, but you are clearly pushing it as a verdict for Howe that he can never manage a top team, he's only 42 ffs
Yes. Evidence is he is not what was being touted.

passing-wind

He needs a DOF and a team like Everton and he'll push forward I reckon. Not many managers would have succeeded in his circumstances, irrespective of poor signings it's not like Bournemouth have a mammoth transfer kitty to spend each season.

Solskjaer had somewhat of a similar trajectory at Cardiff (worse even). Made useless signings and got the club relegated. Ole however has made good purchases with more resources at his disposal, there's nothing to say Howe couldn't get better results with a bigger opportunity.

Josh 76

Just found the media loving was too much.
He wasted a lot of money and always tried to "play the game like it should be", which was his downfall in the end.
And finally he was one of Klopps batty boys.
That's it really.

marktan

His obsession with mediocre and overpriced British players is his downfall. Look at Newcastle. Even though they have a horrible owner, they always seem to be able to get some bargains from the French league to help them stay up. I doubt we will see them back in the PL anytime soon.
This. Howe seems to be a good coach, but being successful is more than that. Either he's bad at scouting players or his scouting team let him down. Signing the Liverpool cast-offs for big money is not a good transfer strategy.

Tyrion

True but there are plenty of managers who get that backing in the championship and the premier league and get nowhere. I think Howe is a good manager but seemingly pretty crap at recruitment.

Web of Bissaka

Oh come on, he's still a good manager. But yes, need to learn more.

Did a freaky great job with Bournemouth, climbed up twice quickly then stayed for 5 seasons at PL is huge, 4 seasons consistently hovering at mid-table.

This season though he had a bad season, got the transfers wrong and costly paid for it.
He'll lead them to climb back up once they freshen up their squad.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Conte, Benitez, Klopp and Wenger all had relegations in first 5 years of their managerial careers, didn't do any of them harm in the long run as clubs higher up who gave them opportunities saw beyond them making a minnow down.

Think EH needs to take six months out and clear his head again and then vacancies at likes of Palace and West Ham will start popping up and he could be in the frame for those.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
This. Howe seems to be a good coach, but being successful is more than that. Either he's bad at scouting players or his scouting team let him down. Signing the Liverpool cast-offs for big money is not a good transfer strategy.
They also signed Lerma, Diego Rico and Djanuma for about 70m so they do sign players from abroad but they weren't great either.

Flexdegea

Finding some of the comments about Howe really strange.

He done an incredible job at Bournemouth.

Very hard to stay that long and have consistent results year in and year out. Brought them up from league 2 and kept them in for 5 seasons.

Top job in another book

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hope he gets a good run in a PL side, maybe if Hodgson retires Palace can take a look at Howe.

RedorDead21

Again no hard feeling about the guy, but jump back to around 18-20th page of this thread and you'll see some were calling for him to be next United manager. It was ridiculous. It also happened with Silva if anyone actually remembers him.
Not as ridiculous as hiring Ole instead surely?

el3mel

Not as ridiculous as hiring Ole instead surely?
However I don't think any United fan were actually having Ole in their shortlist to be the next United manager at this point, no ? Unlike Howe whom people were considering him as the next United manager.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Have to agree with his transfer history. But I have to disagree that he had no financial backing. Maybe that’s true for the first few years but they are owned by a Russian and have spent money. They were just woefully bad at picking up players.

Would be interesting to see how much little Bournemouth actually spent while in the premier league compared to others. They are certainly not at the bottom.

Howe is a good coach. The backbone of his team is the same as it was when they came up. Partly down to signings but he should take credit from improving on rubbish like their captain. Good manager? No. A head coach position is perfect for him.

AshRK

He should be able to find a job in PL. Decent manager who should have left Bournemouth 2 seasons back. He just outdid his stay. I think he will be a decent manager for a club like Everton where he will have some funds to play with and no need to worry about relegation. Whether he can take it to next level, only time will tell.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Has done an excellent job at Bournemouth. We've seen really good managers get relegated before. Hopefully it won't be long before we see them back in the PL. Enjoyed watching Bournemouth over the last few years.

That goal line mistake really did cost them. Had that cost us top 4 which is actually less important to a club like United than survival is to smaller clubs, the caf would have lost it. Shocking that this actually happened and that too with VAR

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Good manager but made some shocking signings which they have paid the price for.
I feel for the guy. He's done a great job there. Completely transformed the club. The worry for them now is that they part company and struggle to ever come back up

ti vu

Conte, Benitez, Klopp and Wenger all had relegations in first 5 years of their managerial careers, didn't do any of them harm in the long run as clubs higher up who gave them opportunities saw beyond them making a minnow down.

Think EH needs to take six months out and clear his head again and then vacancies at likes of Palace and West Ham will start popping up and he could be in the frame for those.
I think people are talking about the ridiculousness of media and fan hype about Eddie Howe was ready for big clubs, just to see his team to be relegated now.

Those guys you mentioned were not the hot stuffs at that stage of their careers. Their next moves helped building their experience, giving them time to try their methods, and they only got recognized when they prevailed.

So it's like earning promotion vs internship by on hype.

Nothing against Eddie Howe. Let's see what future has for him.