So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I dont think we will see him again in the PL for a few years.
I think we may well do. There's always 2-4 managers sacked midway through the season and Howe would be on some shortlists after keeping Bournemouth up for 4 seasons on the trot.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I dont think we will see him again in the PL for a few years.
Palace might be interested in him. Hodgson is finished there and the board may want to explore a more expensive style of play. I think he’d do well with the squad Palace have, too. Nice blend of experienced pros and attacking talent, which wasn’t utilised enough this season (certainly post-lockdown).

Bojan11

That’s ridiculous.

Maybe they should take legal action against their scouts or whoever recommended the rubbish signings.

They didn’t just go down because of one goal. Also that incident happened in the 41st Min. Prob unlikely, but for all we know Villa could score 2 in the second half. Nobody predicted Leicester would end up losing 4-1 at half-time vs Bournemouth.

Bournemouth were just rubbish. They started to get form too late. After lockdown they lost to two of the worst form teams in Newcastle and Palace at home. Those were games they should have got something from. Palace lost 6 games in a row after that. Newcastle picked up 2 points from their last 6 games.

RazorOz

Is utter piffle really, because you could never definitively claim Villa would go down if it wasn't for that decision, as you are influenced by what you need to do to stay up. Cannot imagine what the legal basis would be, and it would set an incredibly dangerous precedent, as next you'd get teams suing referees or the referee association for x decision costing them Champions League football, staying up etc.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Regardless of anything else I do think Villa were basically worse than Bournemouth and very lucky to stay up.

Eddie Howe is a good manager, though not convinced he would necessarily thrive at another club.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Football is brutal. I'm not sure what legal case they have, but it's a sad side effect of what the game has been allowed to become that very often relegation goes far beyond 'hard luck, let's go again next time' these days. The circumstances surrounding Wigan's relegation this year are far stinkier than in Bournemouth's case, but they both feel failed by the footballing authorities and are not just bemoaning a bit of bad luck but genuinely worrying about the respective futures of their clubs.

As for Howe, I think he's done a very good job but has struggled to maintain the quality of his squad, which doesn't surprise me considering the relative transfer budgets and pulling power of his side versus the rest of the league. I do wonder what those ticking him off for his team's terrible transfers would have him do, as if it's easy to attract quality players to Bournemouth.

LVGSdive

That’s ridiculous.

Maybe they should take legal action against their scouts or whoever recommended the rubbish signings.

They didn’t just go down because of one goal. Also that incident happened in the 41st Min. Prob unlikely, but for all we know Villa could score 2 in the second half. Nobody predicted Leicester would end up losing 4-1 at half-time vs Bournemouth.
The thing is, is that the goal should have been allowed. Obviously, hypothetically Villa could have come back to draw or win.

However, I don't blame Bournemouth for looking into the legal ramifications of this. It was a goal disallowed by a technology blip, plus VAR being gutless cowards and not awarding the goal.

Quite frankly I hope Bournemouth do go the legal route because it was a terrible decision, especially, given the technology available in today's game. It's about time there's some accountability for their incompetence.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The thing is, is that the goal should have been allowed. Obviously, hypothetically Villa could have come back to draw or win.

I don't blame Bournemouth for looking into the legal ramifications of this. It was a goal disallowed by a technology blip plus VAR being gutless cowards and not awarding the goal.

Quite frankly I hope Bournemouth do go the legal route because it was a terrible decision given the technology available in today's game. It's about time there's some accountability for incompetence.
I don’t blame them either. It’s a lot of money at stake and Hawkeye already came out and admitted liability for the mistake. I can see both sides of the argument though of course.

shaky

I don’t blame them either. It’s a lot of money at stake and Hawkeye already came out and admitted liability for the mistake. I can see both sides of the argument though of course.
I don't see how Bournemouth can sue Hawkeye. Hawkeye don't make the final ruling in matches, the referees do. If the FA chooses to use certain technology to assist in officiating matches, surely the liability for any subsequent errors with the technology also lies with them. Perhaps the FA would have a claim against Hawkeye, but that's a different argument.

Ibi Dreams

Nothing has ever happened before when obvious goals/non-goals were called incorrectly. Lampard v Germany and Henry v Ireland come to mind.

Doesn't matter that we didn't have the tech then, you could see they were wrong. I suppose it's different in that they're trying to go after Hawk Eye, but I really doubt it'll work

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Regardless of anything else I do think Villa were basically worse than Bournemouth and very lucky to stay up.

Eddie Howe is a good manager, though not convinced he would necessarily thrive at another club.
I agree Villa were blessed. Howe is young so he was that on his side at least.
I think he might stay there.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don't see how Bournemouth can sue Hawkeye. Hawkeye don't make the final ruling in matches, the referees do. If the FA chooses to use certain technology to assist in officiating matches, surely the liability for any subsequent errors with the technology also lies with them. Perhaps the FA would have a claim against Hawkeye, but that's a different argument.
Well I’m pretty surely they will have taken legal advice prior to the decision so they must think they have a case.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Well I’m pretty surely they will have taken legal advice prior to the decision so they must think they have a case.
I don't suppose anyone on here has seen Hawk-eye's contract with the FA, so we're all just making up our arguments; but I would assume Bournemouth has some of the relevant details and it suggests there is a case for them. That, or they're just trying to deflect - play the game like any top coach!

I am amused by all the hostility towards Howe on here though. Looks like some people took the earlier suggestions that he could coach United as some kind of personal affront, so they have to keep pushing back at Howe. I don't think anyone holds that opinion anymore, but surely we can all agree that he has shown himself a good coach who has merited getting an opportunity at a bigger club with a better scouting/recruiting structure (like having a DoF)?

Mr. Ant

Palace might be interested in him. Hodgson is finished there and the board may want to explore a more expensive style of play. I think he’d do well with the squad Palace have, too. Nice blend of experienced pros and attacking talent, which wasn’t utilised enough this season (certainly post-lockdown).
He would relegate them almost instantly, Howe is an okay manager who did a very good job at Bournemouth but his teams just can't defend at all.

When he was at Burnley they had awful defensive record. Dyche should be instead targeted by clubs like Palace, Newcastle and maybe even Everton.

Howe must learn from his mistakes or perhaps appoint a defensive coach because he looks like a naive and stubborn coach and he won't join a club where he can play open expansive football anytime soon if ever.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He would relegate them almost instantly, Howe is an okay manager who did a very good job at Bournemouth but his teams just can't defend at all.

When he was at Burnley they had awful defensive record. Dyche should be instead targeted by clubs like Palace, Newcastle and maybe even Everton.

Howe must learn from his mistakes or perhaps appoint a defensive coach because he looks like a naive and stubborn coach and he won't join a club where he can play open expansive football anytime soon if ever.
Depends on the style those clubs want. Palace had wanted to change styles earlier when they appointed De Boer. Of courses Hodgson's appointment reversed that, but if that's still their thinking for the long term, they'll never get Dyche in.

Also, Howe plays attacking football with a lot of possession. You can't just get a defensive coach in to 'shore up the defense'; that would destroy their offensive play. It's like saying a club should hire Rodgers for the attack and Pullis for defense. It doesn't work, all phases of play are dependent on each other. Howe might rather need someone with a similar philosophy to complement his ideas.

Or maybe he just needs better players, that can do what he requires from them against EPL-level opposition.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

Yeah, I agree with this too. Palace squad is bad and they have no money. Cahill will be 34, coming back from a bad injury. Van Aanholt is their only other quality player at the back and Howe can’t seem to prioritize defence when necessary as Roy has done.

Their midfield has no real technical quality either, and bar Zaha, you would be relying on Benteke and Ayew for goals.

They weren’t up for it after lockdown but Roy has done brilliantly over the last few seasons to have them clear of trouble with the squad they have.

I reckon it would be a car crash with Howe.

ChrisNelson

With the Hawk-Eye debate, I cannot see how it will be possible to sue for an error in another match (well any match for that matter).

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Hawk-Eye don't market themselves as being absolutely 100% guaranteed correct all of the time, hence for example Umpires Call in cricket - there is always a margin of error.

Unfortunately mistakes are going to be made in life, with or without VAR, and with or without goal line technology.

If Bournemouth go ahead with this legal action and are successful then a huge can of worms is opened, what's stopping other clubs suing for similar mistakes, or even individual referees for poor decisions - who makes the decision if they were right or wrong? A Judge?

I really hope they see sense and don't go ahead with this.

el3mel

Seems a polite way of saying he's sacked.

Think he can find another decent job in PL though.

Zoo

I think he needs a break. Looked like he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders these past few weeks.

forevrared

I don't suspect Gerrard will be at Rangers long - that could be a good landing spot for Howe if he's not interested in dropping back into the Championship.

CM10

Was his contract up? If so I suppose that makes sense. It's still a shame things ended that way for him at Bournemouth.

Tiber

They should build a statue of him for the job he did keeping them up for so long with those squads - not to mention getting them to the premier league in the first place. Hope he gets a chance at a bigger club soon.

Not hard to imagine them slipping back to a mid table championship team now