So this new kit deal then

Melvyn

prostate examiner
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...egain-manchester-united-kit-deal-9213255.html
Umbro hold talks to regain Manchester United kit deal
Umbro, the Manchester-based sportswear firm which provided the strips in which Manchester United won 18 trophies, is competing to wrest away the club’s kit contract from Nike, The Independent can reveal.

The firm has been rapidly revived since it was bought from Nike 15 months ago by Iconix Brand Group, the licensing company publicly traded on Nasdaq.

There are understood to have been three meetings between Umbro and United, in New York – where Iconix is based – and the latest two weeks ago at United’s commercial base in London. The breadth of Iconix’s global experience – with 30 licensed brands including Starter, which makes NBA products in the United States, and rapper Jay-Z’s Rocawear – is a factor that has made it attractive to United.

The tussle to win the contract, which will be awarded from the end of next season and is expected to net United more than £70m a year, reveals the intense commercial pulling power of the reigning Premier League champions, despite their on-field struggles. Japanese fashion retailer Uniqlo is also in contention, as are Adidas, Warrior and Puma.

It was in Umbro kits that United won the 1968 European Cup, as well as the 1999 Treble, in a 40-year association which began with the 1955 First Division title success.

The Iconix deal has delivered new financial muscle to Umbro, which is 90 years old this year. The announcement last month of the deal to provide Everton’s kits from next season underlined the firm’s intention to rebuild the brand, after the five-year period under Nike ownership during which the contract to provide the England national team’s kit was lost.
So that's potentially Nike, Umbro and Uniqlo entering a bidding war for our new kit deal, meaning the final value could be more than Nike's alleged £70m/year as reported by the Times recently.

Plugsy

A cynic would suggest the club may well be inventing as much interest as possible to drive up the price Nike feel they have to pay

Melvyn

prostate examiner
A cynic would suggest the club may well be inventing as much interest as possible to drive up the price Nike feel they have to pay
Well if £70m/year isn't enough for the club then I don't know how much is.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Wait, so Nike own Umbro yet the two are going head to head over the Manchester United sponsorship? Can someone explain this to me?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Ah right, cheers.

That'd be something I suppose, a company buying another one in decline, effectively rescuing them, selling them on, then being triumphed to arguably their most lucrative deal.
Yeah especially as Nike took all of Umbro's big deals like England and City before they sold it. For Umbro to now take United would be quite funny.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Uniqlo will be a very strange one but quite interesting, with a market cap almost a third of Nike's they certainly have the money to pull this off.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
A quick Google search of Uniqlo produced this.

Imagine Wayne kitted out in this? It'd be a travesty.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
A nice bidding war will be great, only pushing the price up higher.

Never heard of Uniqlo, do they make any kits for any of the teams in the top couple of leagues? If they are looking to break into the market, they could bid big as well.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
The only thing I care about when it comes to sponsors or manufacturers is the bottom line, whoever will give us the most money is the one we will and should go for. However, I would love to see us move back to Umbro. So many great memories and kits.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Uniqlo? that doesn't sounds right, they're not sports company.

And I don't trust them with the distribution and marketing, their stores are not widespread enough to cater United's worldwide brand. Not that football fans cares any bit, but from marketing and management point of view, giving it to Uniqlo is a fecking trainwreck.

I like Nike to be fair, Umbro just hasn't got the same appeal it was back then, but I hope they'll come up with something fresh and classy next season, our kits hasn't been marvelous lately.

I still like the checkered red / black and our sharp view cam from the old days.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Given the how quickly the average annual value for these deals is rising, it might be worth going for whoever will offer the least years, if the money is close.

Mainoldo

Umbro are shit. No thanks.. Nike Addidas or Puma only. Top manufactures for a top club.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Umbro are shit. No thanks.. Nike Addidas or Puma only. Top manufactures for a top club.
How can you say that about Umbro? Our kits under Umbro were much better than anything Nike has created. I still remember the lace up collar from 93/94. Ha!

Collars full stop. Bloody hell how do you do a Cantona when Nike make shirts with no collars most seasons?

The Red Thinker

If we end up getting a deal of £80m/year, it would be a huge coup! Imagine that we still struggled next year and didn't make the CL, we'd have a financial cushion to soften the blow. It's a very important deal this one.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
How can you say that about Umbro? Our kits under Umbro were much better than anything Nike has created. I still remember the lace up collar from 93/94. Ha!

Collars full stop. Bloody hell how do you do a Cantona when Nike make shirts with no collars most seasons?
FINALLY someone else gets it.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If you were around in the 70s and 80s like I was, you might also not be able to help but associate Umbro with Liverpool.

For that reason alone I prefer adidas or Nike, adidas being my preference.

Plugsy

I still don't get why people like Adidas with their awful tramp-stamping of every kit they make. It's just awful. At least other manufacturers are a bit more discrete in their presence on a kit unlike Adidas who piss themselves all down the bloody sleeves

Last edited:

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I still don't get why people like Adidas with their awful tramp-stamping of every kit they make. It's just awful. At least other manufacturers are a bit more discrete in their presence on a kit unlike Adidas who piss themselves all town the bloody sleeves.
Yea I agree.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
The only sports player I can think who has worn Uniqlo is Djokovic.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If you were around in the 70s and 80s like I was, you might also not be able to help but associate Umbro with Liverpool.

For that reason alone I prefer adidas or Nike, adidas being my preference.
Were you in a coma for the 90s or something?

Plugsy

Won't be Uniqlo. It's important for us to be associated with the word's leading sports brand almost as it is for Nike to be associated with the world's most marketable football club

Sir A1ex

Won't be Uniqlo. It's important for us to be associated with the word's leading sports brand almost as it is for Nike to be associated with the world's most marketable football club
I don't think it will be Uniqlo, but only because I don't think they will pay. I don't believe the above counts for anything - if Uniqlo turned up with the biggest cheque, they'd get the deal. There's nothing prestigious or sporty about AON, is there?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Were you in a coma for the 90s or something?
The association had already been made. I didn't say I liked our kits in the 90s did I?

Umbro conjurs up images of Kenny fecking Dalglish for me. Always will.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Uniqlo sounds like they make stuff like hi-vis jackets and fleeces for plumbers. Or a drains cleaning company.

A really cool, sleek kit that's a little bit different would be nice for a change.
Who's the best for this? Not Nike obviously.

Mainoldo

Lol but i don't want to walk around like Cantona anymore... For the same reason I don't put tap around my socks like Ronaldo. Its just not in fashion.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The association had already been made. I didn't say I liked our kits in the 90s did I?

Umbro conjurs up images of Kenny fecking Dalglish for me. Always will.
Just seems odd that you couldn't, say, override those images with something like this:

Danillaco

What the feck is a uniqlo? Nike is far from what it used to be. For me, Adidas would be the best choice. And would rather Puma than Umbro... And please, no Warrior either.

bishblaize

When I was a kid Nike was for posh kids from Didsbury. Umbro, though, made proper kit.

Plugsy

I don't think it will be Uniqlo, but only because I don't think they will pay. I don't believe the above counts for anything - if Uniqlo turned up with the biggest cheque, they'd get the deal. There's nothing prestigious or sporty about AON, is there?
Not sporty but they're one of the largest companies in the world at.....er...whatever it is they do. They've revenues of over $11bn with assets totalling more than $30bn, according to wikipedia. So us plebs may not have heard much about them but they're still a premier global brand.