So, Timo Werner?

MisterLupus

After seeing a handful of games with him both at club level and national, he's not in any way shape or form a clinical striker. I think Haland is the best pure striker on the market, is dangerous with his all round game and has more in his arsenal to succeed in the league.
Yes I would love to have him here - but alas - Keane... He loves Solskjaer though - credits him a lot for his own success - maybe even enough to forgive the fact that our sporadically erratic legend of a captain mangled his father on purpose.

fergiesarmy1

After seeing a handful of games with him both at club level and national, he's not in any way shape or form a clinical striker. I think Haland is the best pure striker on the market, is dangerous with his all round game and has more in his arsenal to succeed in the league.
Does he know where the back of net is?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Werner probably suits under Ole more than Haland. A counter attack pace forward. He’s the Germany Vardy, Ole has expressed himself how Vardy is his type of centre forward & he admired his style.

fergiesarmy1

Werner probably suits under Ole more than Haland. A counter attack pace forward. He’s the Germany Vardy, Ole has expressed himself how Vardy is his type of centre forward & he admired his style.
He would be a revelation in this team, don’t think we can get him though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't say I've seen much of him recently. When I did see some of him (WC I think?) he didn't look a centre forward. Seemed to be one of those not sure what his position is players.

Red_toad

Watch his last 2 matches he's one of the reasons they didn't win it. Missed some absolute sitters.
He’d have to hit the ground running at United, otherwise the fans would smash his confidence. Is a very up and down player, can be great or shite. Look at what fans are doing to Rashford currently. For 30 million and into a team that is very creative Timo would be a useful addition, in this team where we create maybe 1 change per match, I’d say it’s the wrong move for him.

Kostov

The kind of sensible transfers we don't do. If someone has a bit of sense this guy should be a must in the last year of his contract.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Easier said than done to try and convince a good player to join our shambles especially when there are more quality sides for Timo to choose from.

Last edited:

Giggsy9099

He reminds me of Podolski. A lot of promise but lack consistency. Having said that I think we should take a gamble with him. Not like the top strikers of world football is clamouring to sign for us at the moment

settembrini

He's good. Perhaps an option in the summer if Martial fails as a striker for us.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
His contract situation:

It was entering the final 12 months this summer just gone, and Leipzig were at risk of losing him for free in Summer 2020 - but he agreed to sign a new deal on the basis that Leipzig include a release clause (speculated to be as low as 30m).

And there's no 'pre-contract agreement' or anything with Bayern.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Him and Mandzukic this January would be fantastic all things given.

Allows us to push Rashford out wide, and means we're not solely reliant on Martial.

Could get both for less that £40m too. Never going to happen, mind.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I know there are plenty of Germans who disagree with me, so perhaps take this with a grain of salt, but at the moment I would say that he's a poor man's Aubameyang and Leipzig is his level.

JohnnyLaw

The kind of sensible transfers we don't do. If someone has a bit of sense this guy should be a must in the last year of his contract.
Meh, just because he’s cheap doesn’t mean that the move would makes sense necessarily.
I’m not sure what role he’d play for us as I don’t think that he adresses any real need we have in the squad apart from quality in depth.
We need a RW and a CF with good hold up play and I really don’t think Werner is either.
With that kind of value he’ll have plenty of suitors anyways, several of which are likely to be more attractive to him than ourselves I’m sure.

Andersons Dietician

Can be brought in cheap as his contract with Leipzig is running out (or he has a release clause or something) - relatively young only 23 years old - definitely a class act on paper at least his stats for both club and country are decent and also - a Manchester United supporter who apparently dreams of playing in the Premier League for Manchester United. Haven't seen much of him though - fairly unrated as far as I'm concerned but from the few appearances I've witnessed he seems fairly clinical and also able to keep a cool head in the final third (wasn't really focused on him though admittedly) - and besides the stats these are all based om media who we know to be somewhat sensationalist. Any thoughts?

Yay or nay?
Clubs outside of Germany supposedly went in for him in the summer and he according to the story turned them down as he wanted to stay in Germany.

The rest of the story was about how his camp thought eventually Bayern would move for him in the summer but couldn’t or wouldn’t at the time so he is going to wait it out until he can move.

MiracleInMadrid

Not the type of striker we need. We already have the likes of Martial and Rashford with similar key attributes. Of course, Werner is more naturel in playing the central role, but you can tell that he also needs to be set up either with thorugh balls or in one-on-one situations.

Instead, we need a type like Kane, Lewandowski or Ibra who can play with their back to the goal naturally, and hold up the ball to get the rest of the team in their right positions offensively. Right now we either won't try to have the ball high up the pitch or we depend on one of the front guys to make miracles against a wall of defenders.

Only way I will be excited about this is if we buy him in addition to another type of striker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: golden_blunder

MisterLupus

He's good. Perhaps an option in the summer if Martial fails as a striker for us.
The summer? We need to reinforce our attack in January or there won't be a summer :lol:

Allows us to push Rashford out wide, and means we're not solely reliant on Martial.

I don't get why anyone would want to buy a 33-year old Mandzukic clearly on the decline. I mean I stop at 33-year old in fact - you might as well bring back Zlatan at least he has a proven record with us. Isn't this the exact kind of transfers we were moving away from because it's bit us so hard in the arse these last couple of years? :houllier:

Bestietom

Can be brought in cheap as his contract with Leipzig is running out (or he has a release clause or something) - relatively young only 23 years old - definitely a class act on paper at least his stats for both club and country are decent and also - a Manchester United supporter who apparently dreams of playing in the Premier League for Manchester United. Haven't seen much of him though - fairly unrated as far as I'm concerned but from the few appearances I've witnessed he seems fairly clinical and also able to keep a cool head in the final third (wasn't really focused on him though admittedly) - and besides the stats these are all based om media who we know to be somewhat sensationalist. Any thoughts?

Yay or nay?
Didn't know his dream was to play here. Would be a very good addition.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Not a goal machine, but his smart movement and very good passing and first touch creates havoc on the opposition defense.

settembrini

The summer? We need to reinforce our attack in January or there won't be a summer :lol:
We should strengthen our attack in January with a right winger and a #10. They are the weakest positions. Werner either plays as a striker or on the left.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His contract situation:

It was entering the final 12 months this summer just gone, and Leipzig were at risk of losing him for free in Summer 2020 - but he agreed to sign a new deal on the basis that Leipzig include a release clause (speculated to be as low as 30m).

And there's no 'pre-contract agreement' or anything with Bayern.
More than likely he has agreed to stay for the season with the singing of that contract

Moiraine

Is he young and hungry and “British” ?

Sorry doesn’t fit In United’s long term policy. How about giving Mata another two years extension.

AP88

Supports
Man City
I don't think he's the player to link up others. He has great runs and creates space, that's true, but he's not really a creator. His passing really isn't anything special and so is his close control. But once he gets space, he can really hurt you. Not the kind of player you give the ball and expect him to do something special or create an opportunity. He needs the game to be in motion. Someone that sets him up or a successful tackle high up the pitch so that you can get in front of the goal with a few passes/touches.

That's also why Bayern aren't too keen on him. Many think he doesn't fit their playing style. I think even possession-based teams have room for one or two players of Werner's style but in a intense pressing and quick transition team, he can be world class. A typical Klopp player through and through.
From what little I’ve seen of him, I get young Podolski vibes - that a fair general comparison?

MisterLupus

What is this guys ceiling? Potentially top tier?
Only time knows? He's done good where he's at now at least - 55 goals in 100 matches and also quite adept at setting up others. Also he's not playing for Germany's finest so he's probably not being carried either. Rather the opposite in fact - last year his stats at least seems better than that of his teammates. Total from last season: 30 games, 16 goals and 7 assists. Poulsen was second with 31 fixtures, 15 goals and 3 assists - and then there's Forsberg who managed 4 goals and 7 assists in 20 games. So he plays in a very competitive league - and a physical one at that not unlike the Premier League - and he's the biggest contributor (on paper at least) to a team that's not exactly littered with top-class players meaning he's most likely capable of carrying his own weight just fine.

Kostov

Meh, just because he’s cheap doesn’t mean that the move would makes sense necessarily.
I’m not sure what role he’d play for us as I don’t think that he adresses any real need we have in the squad apart from quality in depth.
We need a RW and a CF with good hold up play and I really don’t think Werner is either.
With that kind of value he’ll have plenty of suitors anyways, several of which are likely to be more attractive to him than ourselves I’m sure.
He would instantly become our best forward, on the cheap. To a team lacking with goals, I think he would make lots of sense. We can adjust our play and play him alongside Martial/Rashford and a RW in the future.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Off to Bayern or Klopp will get him and turn him into a monster.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
From what little I’ve seen of him, I get young Podolski vibes - that a fair general comparison?
Don't think so. Podolski's main strength was his incredible left foot. Strong and precise, very good finisher. He was rather quick but almost never dribbled. Werner's shot on the other hand is nothing to fawn about but he's definitely faster than Podolski and much more physical. He also likes to dribble quite often though he's mainly about outrunning defenders. His dribbling is a little bit like Bale's or Daniel James'. Tevez may also be a valid comparison since both are very physical and face forward kind of players.

Currently, there are very few strikers like Werner around. Kane, Lewa, Suarez, Benzema, Higuain, Icardi, Cavani, Lukaku, they are great strikers but not blazingly fast. Werner is shorter than them but one of the fastest players around. The only other player around with a similar skill set is Aubameyang and even he isn't as energetic as Werner (he's a better finisher, though).

MisterLupus

Didn't know his dream was to play here. Would be a very good addition.
I jumped the gun a bit on that. Turns out he dreams of playing in the Premier League - with Liverpool and United being his favorite teams from way back when he was watching us - favoring United a few years back when that article was written. In all honest I just saw him during the Estonia game and it's the second international matchup in which he impressed me so I skimmed through his stats and some articles. Sloppy work I know - but I still feel he's a promising prospect after having checked him out further - whether he's a seasoned Manchester United supporter or not.

Personally I've landed on a "Yay" - if we can get him we should go for it ;)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Don't think so. Podolski's main strength was his incredible left foot. Strong and precise, very good finisher. He was rather quick but almost never dribbled. Werner's shot on the other hand is nothing to fawn about but he's definitely faster than Podolski and much more physical. He also likes to dribble quite often though he's mainly about outrunning defenders. His dribbling is a little bit like Bale's or Daniel James'. Tevez may also be a valid comparison since both are very physical and face forward kind of players.

Currently, there are very few strikers like Werner around. Kane, Lewa, Suarez, Benzema, Higuain, Icardi, Cavani, Lukaku, they are great strikers but not blazingly fast. Werner is shorter than them but one of the fastest players around. The only other player around with a similar skill set is Aubameyang and even he isn't as energetic as Werner (he's a better finisher, though).
Vardy is very similar to his style. And Ole has admitted himself that Vardy is his type of forward.

GBBQ

I jumped the gun a bit on that. Turns out he dreams of playing in the Premier League - with Liverpool and United being his favorite teams from way back when he was watching us - favoring United a few years back when that article was written. In all honest I just saw him during the Estonia game and it's the second international matchup in which he impressed me so I skimmed through his stats and some articles. Sloppy work I know - but I still feel he's a promising prospect after having checked him out further - whether he's a seasoned Manchester United supporter or not.

Personally I've landed on a "Yay" - if we can get him we should go for it ;)
We were a different prospect a few seasons back but hopefully some of these players have the belief that they can be the ones to turn our fortunes around.

Crashoutcassius

I always liked him. Has a pedigree as a striker. Was very poor for a poor Germany side a few years back and his stock dropped. Like lukaku in some ways in that he played football very young and has always scored goals but may not ever reach the top level, but at least a different style to lukaku

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Vardy is very similar to his style. And Ole has admitted himself that Vardy is his type of forward.
Yeah, Vardy seems like a good comparison to me. I think Werner has more potential though. Really exciting to watch on his day.

JohnnyLaw

He would instantly become our best forward, on the cheap. To a team lacking with goals, I think he would make lots of sense. We can adjust our play and play him alongside Martial/Rashford and a RW in the future.
In the same sense as Lukaku would, maybe.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Werner has many qualities but I wouldn't say his finishing is one of them. He can be rather hectic in front of goal and his shots aren't necessarily precise or smart. He's not really a sublte finisher but likes to smash it once he's one on one against the keeper. However, he gets on the end of many chances usually because of his great work ethic. Honestly, the guy has an engine to admire. Few players I've seen make offensive and at times even defensive runs in the late phases of a match like he does. His pace is also amazing. He's a high risk high reward player. Often kicks the ball too much in front of him or his touch seems a bit off but that's usually because he tries to accelerate as much as possible. He loses the ball much because of it but on the flipside it also pays off.

Still not convinced he's a striker, though. Sometimes I think he's got all he needs to play there but then again it seems to me he's a wide player that poses a great goal threat. Hard to compare him with other players, really. Bale maybe, at least in dribbling style, though Bale has a cleaner shooting and crossing technique and is also a better header.

Not sure he's what you need, in all honesty. I'm sure you guys would love him but then again you've aready got three very fast attackers with Rashford, James and Martial. Maybe you rather need to complement their skill set.
Sounds like Werner would suit a 2-striker system next to a target man, in a second striker role.

Noc-Z

ffs

Martial seems to be preferred number 9, so Rashford can be pushed out wide when Martial is fit. But wouldn't you prefer Martial or James out wide ahead of Rashford if we did sign Werner?

SparkedIntoLife

He is good and could improve quite a lot but I feel he's a little too similar to Rashford and Martial. I would either want a more creative central striker like a Sheringham type to get the best out of our wide forwards or someone stronger to give us the target man option which, antiquated or not, remains a useful weapon in the Premier League.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He reminds me of Podolski. A lot of promise but lack consistency. Having said that I think we should take a gamble with him. Not like the top strikers of world football is clamouring to sign for us at the moment
He's definitely very different to Podolski in style. He's more of a consistent scorer than Podolski too for sure.