So, Timo Werner?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Hope that means Mane is off. From what I’ve seen he’s not playing as a striker but is coming off the left much like Rashford.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's nothing special. Would I be wrong in saying he's a Defoe/Bent caliber player?

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
He's nothing special. Would I be wrong in saying he's a Defoe/Bent caliber player?
I think that's too harsh. He might not be on or get to a Lewandowski/Aguero level but while he certainly has poaching skills he also has an eye for a pass and a high workrate well suited for the high pressing modern game.

He's even a much better poacher that Defoe who averaged 0,5 goals/game throughout his career, Werner stands at 0,8.

And don't do it to yourselves people, if Liverpool really were to sell either Mané or Salah right after winning the league it would certainly be for north of 150m£. And in that case surely Werner, who has a release clause of like 40m£,
would not be the single lone replacement.

They spent nothing last summer. If anything they'd get something like a trio of Sancho, Werner and Havertz or even lure in someone like Mbappé should a team really pay them big bucks for one of Salah/Mané.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Former Liverpool midfielder Dietmar Hamann has advised Timo Werner against joining the club, instead insisting he would be better suited to Manchester United or Chelsea.

"I have every confidence that he (Werner) will soon be playing for a very big team”, he wrote in his column for Sky Germany.

“The fact that he is associated with Liverpool is naturally an honour for him. The question is, does he fit in with Liverpool?

“For me, he is strongest when he comes through the middle and can play his greatest weapon: his speed.

“In Firmino, Liverpool have a centre-forward who is always playable and who connects a lot between his team-mates.

“If Werner were to go to Liverpool, I’d rather see him on the outside, but with Mané and Salah there are two absolute giants in the team.

“If none of the three strikers are injured or changed there, he won’t play, and I don’t think that’s what he wants.

“Liverpool is the absolute benchmark, but from my point of view he would fit better with Manchester United or Chelsea.”

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Wtf kind of joke is this?

What I find hilarious is that people still consider Werner to be a poacher when he has so much more ability to his game to be labelled that. Especially under Nagelsmann his all round ability has improved, his 27 goals this season are often mentioned but what isn't is his 11 assists as well. Overall he has had 31 assists in 116 BL matches for Leipzeg, that's not something Defoe or Bent ever did in their careers.

He loves to play on the left wing, where he can use his speed to dribble to the byline and play crosses, or make a run into the box. I would say he's really to similar to Salah in his playing style. If you look at him play you wouldn't think he could play as a striker, yet he scores a lot of goals. He would fit like a glove in Mane's position on the left and certainly play at a high level.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Jesus this thread :lol:

Redcy

People saying that Salah or mane would go for 150m+? Who to exactly? there is a handful of teams willing to pay that cash out, including us. i could see Real paying 150m for a player, PSG, maybe Barca, City, but who else? I don't see those teams paying 150m+ for Salah, possibly PSG would, but even that seems unlikely.

Art Vandelay

People saying that Salah or mane would go for 150m+? Who to exactly? there is a handful of teams willing to pay that cash out, including us. i could see Real paying 150m for a player, PSG, maybe Barca, City, but who else? I don't see those teams paying 150m+ for Salah, possibly PSG would, but even that seems unlikely.
The same people think we are going to get £100m+ for Pogba. I just don't see the market being there for those players at those prices.

Redcy

We know there is a market for Pogba though, it might only consist of one team and maybe juve if they can get a sale themselves, however with Salah I just dont see anyone in those teams paying 150m for him.

Swarlos

Supports
Lyn FK, Liverpool
We know there is a market for Pogba though, it might only consist of one team and maybe juve if they can get a sale themselves, however with Salah I just dont see anyone in those teams paying 150m for him.
This is pretty much the argument for why neither Salah or Mane will leave Liverpool anytime soon. It would require a club they are willing to join to spend insane amounts of money, which isn't likely to happen. The Pogba situation is different because he has performed worse, and he has pretty much tried to get out of the club for a year.

Art Vandelay

Do we know that? The one bid that's come in was much lower than what people think we will get for him. Other than that there's been nothing solid. I don't think there's a market where we are getting back more than we paid if we even get that. No one wants him that badly.

RedDevilRoshi

Hope that means Mane is off. From what I’ve seen he’s not playing as a striker but is coming off the left much like Rashford.
Won’t mind them going in for Werner as a replacement for Mane as long as they stay well clear of Sancho.

arthurka

This thread has some serious issues with Werner, he is a fantastic player and will be a great success at Liverpool under Kloppo.

sp_107

Its been reported today that actual release clause is 25M which will kick in after April.

Time to throw that money to his club and another 25M as a signing bonus to get him here? I know if his heart is really set on Liverpool we cant do much but we can still try? In one of his old interview back in 2017 he said that his preferred team in EPL is Man-UTD. He had dreams of playing for UTD as he supported us from his childhood days.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...-united-transfer-news-timo-werner-rb-leipzig/

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
Its been reported today that actual release clause is 25M which will kick in after April.

Time to throw that money to his club and another 25M as a signing bonus to get him here? I know if his heart is really set on Liverpool we cant do much but we can still try? In one of his old interview back in 2017 he said that his preferred team in EPL is Man-UTD. He had dreams of playing for UTD as he supported us from his childhood days.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...-united-transfer-news-timo-werner-rb-leipzig/
Werner is a good player, but would United fans really want him if he's primary a left-side player who can also play centrally in a front 3? It seems to me that rashford has that role locked down. Mane plays a similar role at Liverpool, but he is a little more versatile, as he is pretty good on the right and as a CAM. I don't think Werner will go to Liverpool because he wouldn't be a first choice player, but Liverpool is competing for trophies in a way that would make being a reserve more palatable. United seemingly has bigger needs, such as striker, right wing, and midfield, so it doesn't make sense for him to be a priority on their end.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The way he's been talking about Liverpool and the way the Liverpool press have reported our interest for months (and saying recently we've opened talks) makes me think that this is more or less a done deal.

Will be an excellent upgrade on Origi as the fourth man to come in for the front three.

L1nk

Werner is a good player, but would United fans really want him if he's primary a left-side player who can also play centrally in a front 3? It seems to me that rashford has that role locked down. Mane plays a similar role at Liverpool, but he is a little more versatile, as he is pretty good on the right and as a CAM. I don't think Werner will go to Liverpool because he wouldn't be a first choice player, but Liverpool is competing for trophies in a way that would make being a reserve more palatable. United seemingly has bigger needs, such as striker, right wing, and midfield, so it doesn't make sense for him to be a priority on their end.
He's flirting pretty heavily with you lot, i've seen it said you could play Sane and Salah on the sides, Werner up top with Firminho in behind? Don't know but i'd be honestly surprised if he doesn't go to Liverpool at this point, things can change I guess

OrganisedChaos

Supports
Liverpool
Mane and Salah won't be going anywhere, even if Werner joins. That is just wishful thinking. Real is far too obsessed with Mbappe (and maybe Pogba) and Barca will probably go for Neymar again and they desperately need a number nine (probably Lautaro). Even if they fail to get their first choice targets, they will more likely go for Sancho ahead of Mane and Salah, given the age difference. Maybe PSG could come in but can't imagine them swapping LFC for PSG, especially as it would probably have meant Neymar and/or Mbappe have gone elsewhere.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
He's flirting pretty heavily with you lot, i've seen it said you could play Sane and Salah on the sides, Werner up top with Firminho in behind? Don't know but i'd be honestly surprised if he doesn't go to Liverpool at this point, things can change I guess
He's good, but I'm quite content with Mane ;)

I do think that lineup could work, but I think it would be a big undertaking to commit to such a change, especially with Mane and Salah out for AFCON.

I would prefer to keep the same formation and sign a wide attacker who can play on both flanks, and have Klopp commit to rotating them in around Champions League fixtures. I think Origi, Salah, and potentially Minamino can do well enough up top, so I don't think more depth is needed there. They don't really have anyone who can replace what Salah does on the right though, apart from Mane. I don't think Harvey Elliott will be ready for a couple more years, if he ever is.

L1nk

He's good, but I'm quite content with Mane ;)

I do think that lineup could work, but I think it would be a big undertaking to commit to such a change, especially with Mane and Salah out for AFCON.

I would prefer to keep the same formation and sign a wide attacker who can play on both flanks, and have Klopp commit to rotating them in around Champions League fixtures. I think Origi, Salah, and potentially Minamino can do well enough up top, so I don't think more depth is needed there. They don't really have anyone who can replace what Salah does on the right though, apart from Mane. I don't think Harvey Elliott will be ready for a couple more years, if he ever is.
Woops :lol:

Don't get me wrong, i'd love if you didn't go for him, because at his price he's a steal and he'd be amazing here I think, I just think there is too much smoke behind this, seems to be the only reliable link amongst journo's as well.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I won’t say United needs him, but it’s always nice to have option, imagine if we have him from the start this season, we would be in better position now since Martial missed 2 months at the early season while Rashford is out to May be end of season.

If he’s here, he will take Martial striker spot or being rotation with either Martial (no 9) or Rashford (left forward). Werner reminds me of Vardy and Ole is big fans of Vardy.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Gasolin

Liverpool will be lucky to have Werner but I don't think he should come now that he shared his thoughts. He wants to go to Liverpool? Go there buddy. We will look for other talents who want to play for us.

Gasolin

I won’t say United needs him, but it’s always nice to have option, imagine if we have him from the start this season, we would be in better position now since Martial missed 2 months at the early season while Rashford is out to May be end of season.

If he’s here, he will take Martial striker spot or being rotation with either Martial (no 9) or Rashford (left forward). Werner reminds me of Vardy and Ole is big fans of Vardy.
Werner is a free role up there, I think he can play in all 3 positions upfront so we may want to play with him and Rashford/Martial in this current 3/3/1/2 or maybe in a front 3 with Rashford, Martial and him.

theklr

Werner is a free role up there, I think he can play in all 3 positions upfront so we may want to play with him and Rashford/Martial in this current 3/3/1/2 or maybe in a front 3 with Rashford, Martial and him.
But arent we getting Sancho ? ;)

KristianMackle

So Timo Werner says we dont compete at the highest level anymore and he's not sure if he should stay at Leipzig and create something great and move and create something with a new team.
He's good but he talks like he's Brazilian Ronaldo or even Hazard before joining Chelsea.
I think we need to go after players who fully believe in what Ole is trying to build. Werner is good but I won't lose any sleep if we didn't get him.

GazTheLegend

Werner has many qualities but I wouldn't say his finishing is one of them. He can be rather hectic in front of goal and his shots aren't necessarily precise or smart. He's not really a sublte finisher but likes to smash it once he's one on one against the keeper. However, he gets on the end of many chances usually because of his great work ethic. Honestly, the guy has an engine to admire. Few players I've seen make offensive and at times even defensive runs in the late phases of a match like he does. His pace is also amazing. He's a high risk high reward player. Often kicks the ball too much in front of him or his touch seems a bit off but that's usually because he tries to accelerate as much as possible. He loses the ball much because of it but on the flipside it also pays off.

Still not convinced he's a striker, though. Sometimes I think he's got all he needs to play there but then again it seems to me he's a wide player that poses a great goal threat. Hard to compare him with other players, really. Bale maybe, at least in dribbling style, though Bale has a cleaner shooting and crossing technique and is also a better header.

Not sure he's what you need, in all honesty. I'm sure you guys would love him but then again you've aready got three very fast attackers with Rashford, James and Martial. Maybe you rather need to complement their skill set.
Great post and apologies for some comment necromancy, I was gonna ask about Werner and you sort of confirmed my thinking

I feel like all of our players are exactly the way you describe Werner - none or them want to be out and out strikers really they all want to counter attack and hit the ball on a run, not hold off and turn a player, and they all imo want to operate in a sort of inside forward position instead of on the shoulder of a defender

Is there anyone in Germany that would suit us better do you think? Besides the obvious (like Sancho and Haaland), how is Patrick Schick?

romufc

Nope, I am relatively happy with our new transfer policy of looking at players personality before signing them.

He is someone who would be a great addition but the way he spoke in that interview, I wouldn't want him here.