So was it a good pre-season? Anything you take from it going into the season proper?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You expected them to be ready after a few games? We’re in a complete reboot
I expected to see a progressive preseason leading to us being drilled and ready to execute by our first game. I don't feel like that has happened.

It has been a disjointed one with us barely even having an xi out who are likely to feature next week.

That could prove costly come the end of the season.

James35

The coaching is a plus and at times you can see what EtH wants. Martial looks sharper and Sancho will be better for sure (but that would’ve been the case, whoever was in charge) I don’t quite have as much optimism for Rashford as have always believed him to be a bit limited. The new players are decent additions, Eriksen will be a big plus but the nucleus of the team is simply not good enough.

The overall quality of the squad is worse than it was last season and potentially even more so if Ronaldo gets his way. I feel bad for EtH and the job he has, so I really hope the board hasn’t put high expectations on him straight away as I can’t see us finishing any better than 6th.

Win, lose or draw in preseason it is not that important as long as there are positives on the pitch and fitness is improved and injuries avoided. Unfortunately the real test will begin too soon for us based on the (in my opinion) poor window so far and I can see us coming unstuck in our very first game of the season, never mind when we play the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal. I have zero hopes for the season trophy wise and will only be disappointed if we finish even lower than my predicted 6th. Maybe next season with a full year of EtH methods, a statement window and potentially the likes of Garnacho/Zidane becoming important players we may start to think about getting back into the CL and challenging for trophies.

Someone

Something
Positives:
  • The team is clearly well coached, which shows that ETH knows what he's doing and they're responding to him
  • Martial, Rashford, and Sancho as a front 3 really clicked
  • Zidane and Savage really impressed
  • Maguire looked good
  • New signings seem to be good, Malacia is definitely going to make it hard for Shaw
Concerns:
  • Lack of depth in midfield and attack is clear, in terms of both quality and numbers
  • I don't think ETH is sure about his best 11 yet
  • Some players were a bit meh, VDB and Elanga in particular
All in all I think it's been really positive, but squad depth is a big concern.

SER19

Its exposed everything we already knew to be true about lack of depth and quality and that good coaching will only go so far. Without 3 more additions, at least, we're in for another long season

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
We'll be fine. Agree there are still a few weak areas in the squad but hopeful that two more will arrive and plug those gaps.

We'll compete for top 4 and I think we'll get better and better as the season goes on. January window get another couple in and finish the season pushing the top 4 places

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Biggest takeaway for me is we're woefully thin squad wise and a few injuries or fatiguing run of games from being bare bones. ten Hag's system and intent seemed to become less applicable as the standard of opposing team improved.

Not worried or concerned, but I don't feel it's been a progressive pre-season, one where you build to a crescendo and believe the players and systems etc are ready. It doesn't look like we're ready.

Your thoughts on the pre-season?
Can you think of any specific examples of this sort of pre-season?

My general memory of pre-season over the years is that it usually bears almost no relevance to how we do in the season proper. Some of our best ever seasons came after some very average performances/results on tour and on the rare occasion we accumulated a bunch of impressive wins the following season was nothing special (Van Gaal’s first season the best example of this)

fallengt

Happy with the manager and coaching but I'm still not convinced by this squad.
If we don't sign new players, it'll be a long fight for top 4.

Lights Out

Positives:
  • The team is clearly well coached, which shows that ETH knows what he's doing and they're responding to him
  • Martial, Rashford, and Sancho as a front 3 really clicked
  • Zidane and Savage really impressed
  • Maguire looked good
  • New signings seem to be good, Malacia is definitely going to make it hard for Shaw
Concerns:
  • Lack of depth in midfield and attack is clear, in terms of both quality and numbers
  • Some players were a bit meh, VDB and Elanga in particular
All in all I think it's been really positive, but squad depth is a big concern.
Sounds like a spot-on assessment to me.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's very hard to be too positive, as it's hard to be certain we've actually strengthened in terms of quality, or numbers.
Martinez will start, but where does Eriksen play? Can we field him and Fred as a 2? Or does it need to be within a 3? If so where is Bruno.

So many doubts, and we're hoping the manager's genius can for the first time in almost a decade make a team better than its individual parts.

We're relying on a number of youngsters padding out the squad after so many players left.
That itself isn't a bad thing, as they'll certainly have a feeling for the club, but at our level they'll have to have high quality as well.

Hammondo

Clear improvements in a lot of areas.

I would say its a better squad than last season and if we get De Jong (or another good player), it will have been a very good window.

The style fits some of our players better than with Ole (Sancho looking like a big winner).

We are very messy and wasteful though, we don't look at all match ready. I would say we look naïve.

I think we should be favourites for 4th, but Spurs could be good next season, I would imagine they are our biggest threat for 4th.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I expected to see a progressive preseason leading to us being drilled and ready to execute by our first game. I don't feel like that has happened.

It has been a disjointed one with us barely even having an xi out who are likely to feature next week.

That could prove costly come the end of the season.
What we’ve seen is a style start to come out and buy in from the players into what they’re being asked, with lots of positive feedback about the new coaches. I don’t think we can ask for much more than that. This is a season of reboot. ETH will have a fair idea who’s going to be his starting XI by now as long as they’re fit for the start. For me the only real question mark remains over the midfield which will be dependent on any more incoming. I think we can probably chalk up rest of the side. For this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't think ETH is sure about his best 11 yet.
I'd say he's as close to knowing as you could reasonably expect given there should be some degree of competition.

As is I could confidently name 8 of the starters against Brighton, 9 if we know Martinez is ready to play 90 min.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ah yea it was decent. I still think we will finish 5th or 6th simply because you have Pep, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte all ahead of us.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The football was better but the results followed the pattern of recent seasons. Started off well but a last minute equaliser from Villa and suddenly we were on a bad run.

Kassadin

It was a good preseason all things considered. We definitely showed a lot of progress in terms of our general play. Our pressing game is more urgent and cohesive. Our build up play is quicker with better off the ball movement forming more passing triangles. We are a much better coached team than last season, granted that isn't a high bar to begin with. But most importantly for me, we are a lot more entertaining to watch.

If we could sort out the transfer situation with De Jong and Ronaldo, I really believe we have a good shot at finishing in the top 4.

tomaldinho1

Pre season honestly means nothing - it’s got no correlation with how our season goes. Positives are seeing some young players get minutes but really, we won’t know anything until Brighton and even then the players won’t be fully integrated into ETH’s system.

lsd

The Oracle
Slightly above average, as things stand I don't think we are on course for a top four spot unless something happens transfer wise before the window closes.

Pleased with the young players coming through like Iqbal,Garnacho and Garner who could make an impact

Others like Amad and Hannibal the jury is still out and they don't look really ready yet.

I Would be a lot more optimistic should we sign, Antony, Frenkie and a forward but that seems unlikely

Stig

1. Our manager is great
  2. Coaching is really good
  3. A number of first team players have significantly improved - Fred, Sancho and Martial especially.
  4. All of our new signings look good and should make an impact for us - we have recruited well.
  5. We have a handful of very talented youngsters who we should see involved at some point. Garnacho, Iqbal and Savage have impressed me.
  6. Robbie's boy is going to be better than his father.
  7. We need a technically and physicially dominant striker. Should be our second priority after de Jong. (BELIEVE)
  8. Tactically we have improved every game, and that will be very interesting to watch as the season progresses.
  9. We need a right back at some point in the near future.
I agree with all your post. Would add, Maguire stands out as being absolutely out of his depth.
Dalot doesn't shine but isn't a liability.
The point about a striker is imperative.

Bwuk

We can put out a strong enough 11 but our depth is poor.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
ETH is a top manager whose style will be picked up by the squad quickly.

ETH will bring out the best in a number of players, and will ensure the right mentality runs through the team.

Youth players coming through now will have the best possible manager for them.

Our team is seriously lacking in depth, and we simply don't have the right quality in key areas. We need to bring in more players.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
1. The Club has failed ten Hag miserably with the recruitment. We should have been ready to go from day 1. If we start dropping points early in the season, it's going to be really tough. I thought we'd at least keep pace with the front runners for a few months at least, possibly getting a draw with the Dippers but not so confident now.

2. Maguire and Ronaldo should not be the first names on the team sheet.

3. Elanga needs a loan spell somewhere.

4. Amad, Garnacho, Savage, Iqbal need game time.

5. The first XI is looking good but we're lacking in depth.

6. Ten Hag will be a success.

Preseason 7/10.

Varane around town

Sounds silly but for me one of the biggest positives from pre-season is that the vibes are good.

United fans like Ten Hag. I think we all feel like we've finally got in a top modern coach who has what it takes to improve this squad. Our first XI is clearly top 4 quality but we're at risk because we've still got a lot of dross.

Our new signings seem shrewd for once.

The main problems is we need to bring in at least 3 more players this window and I doubt that will happen.

themanguydude

I don't think this is a negative at all. If he is unsure about his best 11, it means the 2nd team are good enough to challenge for the starting position, this is a good problem to have.

I feel it's more concerning that there are not enough positions in his starting XI that ETH is unsure of, currently I see only one position where he would be unsure of, which is LB. Maybe Eriksen for McTominay, but realistically the midfield duo that will start against Brighton will be McFred, whether the fans like it or not.

The rest of the starting XI picks itself because the 2nd team just isn't good enough.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Can you think of any specific examples of this sort of pre-season?

My general memory of pre-season over the years is that it usually bears almost no relevance to how we do in the season proper. Some of our best ever seasons came after some very average performances/results on tour and on the rare occasion we accumulated a bunch of impressive wins the following season was nothing special (Van Gaal’s first season the best example of this)
I can't say I've stored many of our preseasons in the memory banks, to be honest. I would say generally preseasons were about getting our core squad up to fitness without injury, seeing our new signings for the first time, and being hopeful some of our kids can have a breakout pre-season. The usual stuff.

I don't think we've ever had so much to do in a single preseason so it is somewhat unique.

With ten Hag, so many things have to come together in such a short period of time. Mentally and physically, I personally feel it's an extremely taxing pre-season to have, so many things to take in all at once.

Charlie Foley

I’ve not watched much of us to be honest. The Warriors winning the championship and Kerry winning the all Ireland kind of sucked up all my sporting energy this summer…and then summer life kind of got in the way too…

I would be interested to see any in depth tactical articles or videos anyone could send me. I might do a deep dive in the athletic/Tifo.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Happy with the manager and coaching but I'm still not convinced by this squad.
If we don't sign new players, it'll be a long fight for top 4.
It was almost certainly going to be the case, short of us signing 10 players, that we were going to go into this season unconvinced by the squad. We were badly let down last season and the stink of that is going to linger for a bit longer.

We've made three good signings. I expect that we'll add De Jong and a forward before the window closes and probably also one more late, unexpected transfer. That's about all we could realistically hope to achieve this summer

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I can't say I've stored many of our preseasons in the memory banks, to be honest. I would say generally preseasons were about getting our core squad up to fitness without injury, seeing our new signings for the first time, and being hopeful some of our kids can have a breakout pre-season. The usual stuff.

I don't think we've ever had so much to do in a single preseason so it is somewhat unique.

With ten Hag, so many things have to come together in such a short period of time. Mentally and physically, I personally feel it's an extremely taxing pre-season to have, so many things to take in all at once.
Which is why I urge patience with everyone yet in this very thread there’s talk of going toe to toe with Liverpool. We’re way off them. People need to chill their expectations for this season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We’ve improved but top 4 will be a tussle because teams have improved.

Us vs Roma in Europa Final which is also a tussle.

Dante

Average bang
Yeah. We made progress towards a brand new style. And players like Martial and Rashford seemed to have rediscovered their mojo.

Still some kinks to work out defensively. But I'm confident they'll be sorted. EtH seemed like ahard taskmaster.

big_jeffstar

It’s all about fitness. I learnt not to read anything into pre-season after I saw Chong look like prime Messi last year and glide past Skriniar like he wasn’t even there.. how did that season go? I’ve been impressed with how crisp our passing is looking, which is new! And the press is finally starting to click.. do we need new players? Yeah of course.. but we knew that before pre-season anyway, it’ll take a few years but we finally have the bare bones of something that looks worth building on, we just need quality players to buy into the project

Blood Mage

Good for people with low expectations yes. Bad for anyone who thought we were going to close the gap on City and Pool as we're still miles off them.

Last edited:

RORY65

Good for people with low expectations yes. Bad for anyone who thought we going to close the gap on City and Pool as we're still miles off them.
Why would anyone expect that though? Liverpool appointed probably the best manager in the world and got nearly everything right in the transfer market and it still took them years to become competitive in the league and they only had to deal with City while clubs now have to deal with them and City.

Ten Hag is an excellent appointment so that's the main positive this summer but the club is still restructuring behind the scenes with the odds being they won't be as successful in that as Liverpool were so hope of getting anywhere near them was delusional, we're years away even in the best case scenario (that being part of the reason why I don't get the desire to hold on to a 37 year old who won't be able to train properly a lot of the time).

FiiiiveTenHaaags

I watched every single minute of our pre season live either on MUTV (shocking channel btw) or at Old Trafford today.

For me it’s a pre season that has two distinct elements, one positive and one negative. Overall, I’d say the positive side outweighs the negative. Let’s look at each.

So the main positives for me, in no particular order, include -

* the overall cultural shift and feeling of things getting back to how they should. I mean the earlier start time for the players, the fines for being late, eating together without phones etc

* signs of the new system being implemented. Saw some good signs of a high press in pre season, players having a nice possession based approach, fighting together and for one another, and some really silky build up play at times

* clearing out pogba matic mata lingard etc

* the new signings look really astute - malacia lots of potential for the future and a great positive attitude, while eriksen and Martinez look like immediate impact players from the little we’ve seen

* emergence of promising young talent on the verge of breaking through, in particular Zidane and garnacho today

for me the major downside/negative comes down to -

* we lack the signings we need, at the very least we need a goal scorer and one or two midfielders. The wrong injuries could derail us rapidly

But yeah, overall I feel like we are moving in the right direction for sure. I like Ten Hag and will be patient and give him time. Just want to see progress even if it’s non linear and a bit slow.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
These players have a ceiling and better ones need to come into to truly improve things, but having a top coach who knows what he wants to do is so refreshing.

Even if it’s 5th or 6th, if we look better and get results against some of the top 4, I will be content. At some stage, you need the players, and we don’t have them in several key areas.

Ole’s era was a big mistake and I think that will become more and more apparent as the season moves on.

criticalanalysis

Which is why I urge patience with everyone yet in this very thread there’s talk of going toe to toe with Liverpool. We’re way off them. People need to chill their expectations for this season.
Yes this is where I'm at too.

I am quietly expecting 'big' improvements in terms of intention of style of play and performances but I know very well, the sh|t may hit the fan if results don't go our way. If that happens, we need to give ETH time and benefit of the doubt because he's shown with little time that he has ability to coach and get ideas across.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I loved it. We were able to witness a glimpse of Ten Hag genius, and I have never been more excited about our youth. They may or may not live up to their potential, and I am 100% certain they would be wasted with majority of other managers we were linked with, but they do have potential and Ten Hag is probably the best manager to make the best of them (even better in this aspect than Pep and Klopp, I am sure). So while I am prepared for the worst (considering our degenerate club executives and the joke of transfer window) I am also extremely curious to see what Ten Hag does with the little he has and the youth.

P.S. Chong needs to go. There is a lot of heart in that kid, and some physical talent, but not even nearly enough football intelligence and the gap is so huge that I doubt even Ten Hag can fix it. Kid seems just unable to make quick, right decisions, at high speeds required in grown-ups games.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not really watched us much but I think people have to realize the amount of effort and time its going to take to go from a basic figure it out style of football to a well organized possesion / pressing based one. It will need fresh names, feck loads of coaching and a lot of us and downs (results wise) to get there.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Fantastic pre-season. You can see in our ball retention and pressing, so both with and without the ball, the massive amount of work that has been put in on the training field. Like all good sporting projects and change initiatives, it’ll take some time and there will be some bumps in the road. But I really like what I am seeing. We know there will be excessive hyperbole after each win, and unbridled doom mongering after each loss. But that’s a fan problem, not a footballing one.

Squad wise, it is evident that we are still 3-5 players short of a realistic title challenge. And at least 2-3 players short of being realistic top four contenders. This team can compete with the best sides, under this manager, on a short term scale, or in individual matches, but squad wise it is a long way short of being able to hang with Liverpool, City or even Chelsea. One injury to Sancho, Martial or Rashford and we are using youth players who barely look ready.

We need two forwards, a cf and a wide forward, who are good enough to compete for a starting spot, and a central midfielder, to be top four competitive over the rigours of a gruelling season. Slightly longer term we will need another CM, probably more defensively minded than someone like De Jong (in addition to), to give our squad balance; a top quality right back; and another centre half, to be title competitive. Martinez will be a nailed on starter, but Bailly and Jones will be shipped out, I doubt Varane can stay fit and he hasn’t shown good form since he signed, Lindelof is a good squad player but not a starter for a title contenders, and Maguire is just too immobile to be the long term solution for a high pressing side.

This rebuild will have to come in phases, but from a coaching perspective, I think the preparations and response from the players, is about as good as I have seen from us in the last decade. There is an air of professionalism and togetherness I haven’t seen from us in a long time. And a clear strategy, with and without the ball, that has been missing for aeons. I don’t expect too much too soon, but with the restructuring behind the scenes, and the top quality coaching staff we’ve brought in, I can see that this is a reboot that is easy to get behind on every level.

Patience and support from the board will be needed. Fans should have it too, but that’s for their own sanity. I fully expect this forum to rip itself to shreds when we have a string of poor results or performances. Both things which are inevitable at some point.

Last edited: