So... Was it a red? (Casemiro / Hughes Royal Rumble)

Was it a red?

• Red

Votes: 409 33.5%
  • Yellow

Votes: 415 34.0%
  • No card

Votes: 270 22.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 69 5.6%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 59 4.8%

• Total voters

Nickelodeon

What did they give Ziyech the red for in the first place? Then how could they look at the screen and think that they were ‘clearly and obviously’ wrong and rescind the red. Each set of referees and VAR is just making stuff up as they go. And that is the real failure, not VAR as a concept.

NK86

:lol: Ridiculous. Looking straight at the guy and pushed him in the face.
Worse, he rescinded it after seeing the replays :lol:

Atwell should never ref in the PL again and the PL along with PGMOL should apologize to United.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
This decision looks worse and worse every passing week

We got royally screwed AGAIN
It doesn't look worse and worse, I'm still in two minds in a way. Im still not suprised he was sent off, for what in most angles bar one, looked like two hands around the throat. It just did look like that. It doesn't suprise me in the heat of the moment that decision was given, and even if they were in two minds i think at the end of the day its not wise to put two hands around someones neck.

This has nothing to do with the Ziyech incident from today, which incidentally i think was correctly over ruled. It was fingertips swiping the chin and id have been pissed off if one of our players got sent for that. But then I'd also have understood again if the decision had stood. Its not always black and white.

Bertie Wooster

This decision looks worse and worse every passing week

We got royally screwed AGAIN
That's exactly what I was going to post.

There's been a number of PL melee's since the Casemiro incident, each involving raised hands to an opponents collar or face, and none have led to a red card.

Casemiro's red card at the time seemed a joke - given what Ayew got away with in the same melee and given the out of context two seconds they looped for the ref. But with each similar, and worse, incident escaping red cards on a weekly basis then it's further highlighting what a disgraceful decision that was.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It doesn't look worse and worse, I'm still in two minds in a way. Im still not suprised he was sent off, for what in most angles bar one, looked like two hands around the throat. It just did look like that. It doesn't suprise me in the heat of the moment that decision was given, and even if they were in two minds i think at the end of the day its not wise to put two hands around someones neck.

This has nothing to do with the Ziyech incident from today, which incidentally i think was correctly over ruled. It was fingertips swiping the chin and id have been pissed off if one of our players got sent for that. But then I'd also have understood again if the decision had stood. Its not always black and white.
If you think Casemiro's was a red and Ziyech's was only a yellow then fair enough, I think thats a fecking mental take but fair enough

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
'Raised hands' is a term thrown around an awful lot in this thread, how is this different?

Marcus

If Casemiro's was a red so was Ziyech's. Raised hands should be good enough eh? Inconsistent and biased against United.

Nickelodeon

What did they give Ziyech the red for in the first place? Then how could they look at the screen and think that they were ‘clearly and obviously’ wrong and rescind the red. Each set of referees and VAR is just making stuff up as they go. And that is the real failure, not VAR as a concept.
Saw it again. Think VAR actually got it right. The push was more shoulder than face but still lucky for it to be seen as a clear and obvious error.

Dan_F

Martial v Spurs? It was far worse than that.

Bertie Wooster

You don't think VAR is there to find that angle that shows it clearly and therefore get the right decision? Rather than loop the same couple of seconds of an angle to make it look much worse than it actually was?

And, yes, it's not wise to put your hands on a players collar - yet, strangely, those same VAR officials thought it fine for Ayew to push a player in the face in the same melee. That inconsistency was a joke on the day, and looks even more so as each subsequent player avoids red cards for things as worse, and more so, than what Casemiro did. Fine to say none of them are reds and Casemiro was unlucky - though I think the Ayew one had to be a red. But if people say Casemiro was justifiably sent off for his actions, then we should have seen a lot of other reds in the last few weeks if that's the set bar.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I'd love to hear from a non-United fan - as I'm biased as can be - but it really does feel we get 'made an example of' more than other clubs with refereeing decisions. Rooney's swearing, outrageously soft ones like Casemiro, Martial - the stupid penalty against Lindelof which then saw the rule change the next week etc.

Not lots of little decisions in a given match, but the 'you know that's the only time that's happened' types. Off the top of my head:

Rooney banned for swearing at a camera
Rooney and Scholes banned from a pre-season red
Neville sent off for flicking a ball into the crowd (I remain convinced he was trying to hit the ad hoardings)
Martial sent off for maybe, a tiny bit touching a face, after himself being throat grabbed
Lindelof's handball which then saw the rule change
Casemiro's 'intervention' from VAR

My point of all of the above is that there are countless examples of other players doing all of these, but the punishment was only for United. As far as I know, the same rules and rigour just simply aren't applied to them.