So what happens with our backline once Maguire is back in the mix?

mancave bear

Tuanzebe needs to be rotated not to pick up an injury. Maguire is not the right player for every team we play against. We should make Bruno captain, and rotate the CB's to avoid injurys and get tactical flexibility.

Red00012

Well he's only 22 so he's not going to play that well every time. But deff keeps his place at the weekend.
I disagree , can’t see him playing 180 mins in the space of 5 days having not played in 11 months.
But if Maguire isn’t fit Ole might not have a choice.

The Irish Connection

Maguire and Tuanzebe. Maguire is a good organiser, good with the ball and in the air, and a leader. Tuanzebe has the pace and strength to cover. Just really hope he can stay fit for most of the season now.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Unpopular opinion but i think Maguire is the weak link.
Don't think it is that unpopular of an opinion to be honest. I'd rate Lindelof-Tuanzebe pairing higher than a Maguire-Tuanzebe pairing. Also, I think Shaw is massively undervalued on this forum.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Some people concluding after one match that Lindelof should be ahead of Maguire? If they had cost the same amount and Maguire wasn't captain, I suspect almost everyone could see he's a much better defender than Lindelof.

Hopefully Tuanzebe will be afforded the chance to build his fitness nice and steady. Fingers crossed he stays fit and can partner Maguire for the most part.

King Andow

IF Tuanzebe can stay fit, rotation with Lindelöf and Bailly until we get a better CB, right now should be at the bench.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I disagree , can’t see him playing 180 mins in the space of 5 days having not played in 11 months.
But if Maguire isn’t fit Ole might not have a choice.
Fair. Depends how fit he is though. Presumably he's played loads - just not for the first XI

Hanky panky

Drop Lindelöf and try Axel with Maguire. Lindelöf isn't better CB than Maguire. And we need CB who is good in the air. Tuanzebe has that pace then.

Mr PG

Maguire scores quite a few goals and is very good with his feet. Yes he's clumsy when unfit but anyone suggesting we drop him is crazy....

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Have to be cautious still, Tuanzebe was brilliant but a partnership of him and Lindelof would be quite weak aerially, and in the premier league that'd be an issue. Maguire is still going to be an automatic starter when fit, but today was definitely a huge blessing in disguise that Maguire was out and Tuanzebe had the chance. Both him and Lindelof looked perfectly suited to it. And Lindelof the last couple of games has been back to his best, so it's hard to drop him. Hard to say what's the right thing to do against Chelsea.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It was a bit more our formation than individual players tonight (although none really put a wrong step forward).

This set up will be just as good with Maguire in it. We should definitely use it in the coming stretch of matches.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Axel needs to show he can stay dor more than a few weeks of heavy training and tough games.

Not worth planning anything around him until he can reassure that his body will hold up for prolonged periods

alexthelion

Lindelöf and Tuanzebe would get bullied in the air domestically.

Maguire + Tuanzebe or Maguire + Tuanzebe + Shaw. The rest is nonsense. PSG are not an average PL side.
This all day, every day.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That one chance where de gea saved from Mbappe right in front of him shows that Lindelof still sometimes doesnt react the way he should in the air.

Try Tuenzebe and Maguire in a back 3 vs Chelsea & Arsenal.

If he is bad then bring Lindelof for Maguire.

What's going to happen though is Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw.

Red_toad

Lindelöf and Tuanzebe would get bullied in the air domestically.

Maguire + Tuanzebe or Maguire + Tuanzebe + Shaw. The rest is nonsense. PSG are not an average PL side.
Very true, but don’t let that stop the hype machine in here. AWB and Tuanzebe stopped PSG’s 2 main threats, neither of whom are even going to physically cause them many issues.
Id say it’s been Ole’s plan to pair Tuanzebe and Maguire, but due to injuries, it’s not been possible. Is good we have options if he can stay fit.

Web of Bissaka

You do realize Lindelof's defense vs PSG is loose right? Typical performance really.

Thankfully it's not costly because....
(1)PSG is having their off day in finishing department.
(2)Lindelof having so many cover (other 4 defenders & Fred-McT) to help him.
(3)We're basically playing a defensive deeper system, so less space and opportunity for him to feck up.

Waynne

In an ideal world where fitness becomes a non-issue, for me it would be Tuanzebe + Maguire + Bailly as a back 3.

I'd love to see this setup even if its for a lowly cup game.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Mcguire will be a massive threat with telles on corners. I think he does need a rest. Plays literally every game hes fit for.

georgipep

Well first of all I think we should be vary that Tuanzebe could pick up a injury again, he's come back from a long long injury break. But all that time away, and he does that? Absolutely mental.

It's a very interesting problem magnified by Maguire being the captain.

IF - this is the version of Tuanzebe we get frequently, I can't bring myself to want to drop him. This is the type of problem Ole wants, and probably doesn't want. A player to come in and threaten to bench your captain.
I can't see him benching Maguire, most probably Lindelof will be the casualty. If we play 3 at the back the question is does Shaw play or Lindelof.

georgipep

That one chance where de gea saved from Mbappe right in front of him shows that Lindelof still sometimes doesnt react the way he should in the air.

Try Tuenzebe and Maguire in a back 3 vs Chelsea & Arsenal.

If he is bad then bring Lindelof for Maguire.

What's going to happen though is Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw.
If you are referring to the situation I'm thinking about, it was Kurzawa, not Mbappe and Tuanzebe was covering him, not Lindelof.

EDIT: I watched the highlights again and now I think I understand which situation you refer to but in that one Wan-Bissaka lost Mbappe.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

Think people are being too harsh on Maguire. He’s been crap since lockdown but he’s been a very good penalty box defender for us. It’s no surprise that since he signed we’ve defended set pieces a lot better, saw a stat on MNF about only van Dijk winning more aerial duels. Lindelof is afraid of his own shadow, Maguire and Tuanzebe is the way to go.

Mcking

As I said in the Match day thread, Lindelof plays better when he doesn't have to spend half his time covering for Maguire's inadequacies.
Or maybe it was just one game. Everyone seem to be getting ahead of themselves.

dev1l

Want to see more of Lindelof and Axel. Maguire can rest a little bit.
Lot of fixtures, season is long...we ll need all 3 of them as well as the others cbs. I m convinced we ll even have to play Rojo and Mengi at some point in the season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If Maguire played against PSG tonight instead of Lindelof nothing would have changed.

I can only remember 1 defensive action Lindelof had to do outside of the usual blocking/clearing shots from outside the box. He had a 1v1 against Kean outside the box on the left, and did well enough.

PSG rarely crossed it and when they did only hit the first man, Tuanzebe/AWB/Shaw did all the work.

Sylar

We might see 3 at the back more frequently and Maguire defo takes Shaws place, right?

If Maguire played against PSG tonight instead of Lindelof nothing would have changed.
Theres the notion that PSG might have tried to attack Tuanzebe cos it was his first game back, and hes seen as the young inexperienced one. Or that if Maguire was playing they might have tried to attack his side due to lack of pace. But i guess we wont ever know.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think Lindelof deserves a lot more respect. He didn't put a foot wrong and people still call for him to be dropped for Maguire.

fps

Everyone saying drop Lindelof, yet he was the one who organised that defence last night. He was excellent, and Tuanzebe is getting a lot of plaudits but more from the lack of expectation around him putting in a performance. He did well in his two big moments with Mbappe, but that gives its own rush versus a first teamer playing well. Lindelof is a lot quicker than Maguire and a good organiser. What wasn’t needed last night though was the ball playing centre half.

devips

Bailley-Tuanzebe for me.

We can play the high line, and play out from the back as Ole intends.

Adam-Utd

We might see 3 at the back more frequently and Maguire defo takes Shaws place, right?

Theres the notion that PSG might have tried to attack Tuanzebe cos it was his first game back, and hes seen as the young inexperienced one. Or that if Maguire was playing they might have tried to attack his side due to lack of pace. But i guess we wont ever know.
think it's more the fact Mbappe naturally peels to the left like martial and rashford do. Tuanzebe was rightly played on the right hand side to combat that, and worked a treat.

you'd never play maguire as 1 of the wider cbs as he will get exposed in that area. He's best as the centre/last man IMO.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Back three with Tuanzebe and Shaw might be the best that have happened to Maguire. He's a good defender who can't run fast. Can pick a pass and will love Telles corners.

If we shift between 3 and 4 at the back, there will be no problem.

1st choice for me - Maguire surrounded by pacy players:

AWB/Williams Tuanzebe/Lindelof Maguire Shaw Telles (one of Shaw/Telles if we play back 4)

I'm optimistic, Telles gives us a lot of possible options without drop in quality.

Andersons Dietician

Tuanzebe was instrumental in what we were able to do tonight. His pace, mobility and recovery on the turn absolutely matched him to two of the best attackers in the world, with ease. What he has, nobody else here does; we can play as high a line as we want with him at the back. How can we drop him?

Lindelof looked like a different player with that assurance beside him.

Do we go for a 3 with both of the above plus Maguire? Does Tuanzebe get dropped? Lindelof?

What happens from this point onward?
Get Maguire a pillow for the bench, maybe a colouring book.

kkengvib

No reason why we can't keep playing this system and try Maguire as the central CB where his lack of pace is not as exposed?
We can put a combination of either Shaw/Lindelop/Tuanzebe around him. It's worth a shot IMO. That also allows us to go with no wingers and have more choices up top with Rashford/Martial/Cavani/Greenwood

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A CB partnership who did well, shouldn't be changed. Its as simple as that. However I'd suggest we keep our enthusiasm under check. We played with 8 defensive minded players during last game, which is fine against PSG away but won't cut it in the EPL against West Ham. In such circumstances United will need more attacking minded players which in turn will lead to more space at the back.

Sylar

think it's more the fact Mbappe naturally peels to the left like martial and rashford do. Tuanzebe was rightly played on the right hand side to combat that, and worked a treat.

you'd never play maguire as 1 of the wider cbs as he will get exposed in that area. He's best as the centre/last man IMO.
Oh id agree with that, but we also know that situations arise in games which see players move about and thus players arent exactly where you want them especially when the ball turns over in a position it really shouldnt.

I think a break for Maguire is fine, but im expecting him and Lindy against Chelsea and Axl being taken out of that game.

Adam-Utd

Oh id agree with that, but we also know that situations arise in games which see players move about and thus players arent exactly where you want them especially when the ball turns over in a position it really shouldnt.

I think a break for Maguire is fine, but im expecting him and Lindy against Chelsea and Axl being taken out of that game.
Quite possibly, we're playing every 3/4 days at the moment as we have another CL game next Wednesday after Chelsea, then Arsenal on the weekend. Rotation is going to be vital right now.