So, what next for Wenger?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
"I believe that I will start again on January 1. I don't know where yet, but I feel rested and am ready to work again."

"From my 22 years at Arsenal, I have big experience on different levels. There are enquiries from all over the world," the Frenchman said. "There are associations, national teams, it could be in Japan."

"I feel rested and am ready to work again. But where? I don't know yet."
Sky odds:
PSG (as DoF) 6/1
Real Madrid 8/1
Bayern Munich 11/1
Japan 16/1
Man Utd 20/1

el3mel

Gonna be hilarious if he ends at Madrid and wins something big there.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Did he no come from Japan before he was at arsenal?

SirAF

Ageist
He should go to Japan and just enjoy himself. I seem to recall that he spoke warmly about the culture some years ago.

Ether

Wenger as a DOF would be odd considering the way he mocked the idea of having one at Arsenal.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Considering the lack of high profile managers around I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Madrid. Madrid and Barcelona especially had appointed lesser names over the last years, and I seem to remember that Perez is a fan (or at least was at some point).

MoskvaRed

Wenger turns 69 next week. Given what happened to SAF recently, he should take it easy and enjoy retirement. Go back to Alsace and buy a vineyard. As he is a workaholic, he’ll probably pitch up as national manager of some wealthy emerging football country aiming at WC 2022.

xonyo

Supports
Arsenal
I think I recall Wenger talking fondly of PSG despite the financial doping. Something along the lines of France/Paris needing a big team, seems like a project he'd be well suited to with the abundance of French talent around at the moment.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
German coach :D
IF Germany decided to not have a German coach, I'd be really surprised if it's the 69 year old Arsene Wenger! Need slighly longer term thinking when Löw gets the boot (which won't happen soon enough sadly!).

I think I recall Wenger talking fondly of PSG despite the financial doping. Something along the lines of France/Paris needing a big team, seems like a project he'd be well suited to with the abundance of French talent around at the moment.
To be a DOF? I'd have thought he'd want to go back into coaching first and foremost, seems he wants to be hands on with coaching always!

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I'd love him to get a job at FIFA/UEFA. You can think of what you want of his recent years as a manager, but he's clearly a very smart guy who's passionate about the sport. I think he'd be able to make a difference (but that's probably naive of me, knowing how corrupt those organizations have proved to be).

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I too would love him to work for Fifa, he’s always been a purist and had the best interests of the game at heart.

However, Spanish National team? Belgium?

Monaco when they fire Henry?

peridigm

Wenger to Madrid
Jose to PSG
Someone other than Jose to United

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Back at Arsenal
Brilliant. Exactly what I was going to say. I just loved the look on his face every time Arsenal got beaten.

It was such fun listening to all those Gooners winging and wining on the phone ins. At least it took the focus away from us...

JMack1234

I'd happily take Wenger as a caretaker if/when it bubbles up with Mourinho. In the long term, I can see him ending up at Real if things keep going the way they're going.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Don't think it'll be a top team. Maybe Bayern when they sack Kovac since Hoeneß is old school. But Madrid, Barca, Germany are far too future oriented to hire him. His concept and interpretation pf football is outdated unfortunately.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Don't see the Real Madrid link at all, hasn't got a good enough record in CL for him to be seriously considered.

Think of the two Bayern Munich more likely as I assume Heynckes wouldn't come out of yet another retirement to help them out if Kovac is sacked in next few weeks. Pretty sure they've approached him before and he grew up pretty much on the german border so would be very tempting for him.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Bayern would be a very interesting prospect, would actually really like to see him there and what he could do. They need a bit of an overhaul of

I don't see how he'd work as a DoF tbh. I feel like he'd want to get too involved and he would surely cast a long shadow over whichever manager he was working with if the results weren't going well.

SqueakyWeasel

Who on YouTube?
Can't remember who off-hand as I watched/caught up on so many yesterday that I have not bothered with for ages trying to pick the bones out of the take-over story to see if it has any legs. Think it was probably one of the usual suspects United Stand etc., deffo not FTD though. I'll go back through my history and if I find it I'll post as edit.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'd absolutely love him as Belgium manager but chances are non-existent, unfortunately.

POF

Wenger turns 69 next week. Given what happened to SAF recently, he should take it easy and enjoy retirement. Go back to Alsace and buy a vineyard. As he is a workaholic, he’ll probably pitch up as national manager of some wealthy emerging football country aiming at WC 2022.
Denis O'Brien is dusting off the cheque book as we speak!

Imagine the flowing football Wenger could play with Duffy, Ward, Meyler, McClean and Walters. If only he could convince Glenn Whelan to come out of retirement.