So when are we going to get off our backsides and challenge this City/Liverpool dominance of winning trophies?

In Rainbows

Still, he's proven himself as the best right winger around other than Messi and I think most clubs would take Sancho at this moment over Messi because of the age difference.

I dont see us signing the best right winger in the world. We havent done it before, I'm not expecting it now. I am expecting us to sign someone with potential who in a few years might be considered up there with the best wingers though. That sounds much more like us
Who would buy him?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
About couple of years from now if we continue improving. Next season if Pep and City start imploding and Liverpool players get their fill.

Liverpool haven't been dominating trophies. One this season, one last season but before that you have to go back 8 years. 2 out of last 8 or 2 out of last 20 (depending how far back you want to go) is not domination.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Like others have said unless Klopp and Pep leave we have very little chance. We can spend £300 mill and still not get close to the title due to Pep and Klopp's coaching.
The same Pep who has the most ridiculous squads at his disposal and is on for 10+ losses in a tittle defence?

You know who he's competing with in the last 10 years for that record of shit house titles defences?

Moyes - United - sacked
Mourinho - Chelsea - sacked
Ranieri - Leicester - sacked

Last edited:

Amir

So many people here are just talking about money and budgets and signing players. When in truth, running the club and the team well is just as important.

Liverpool spent money, but they've done so well because they are well managed. We've spent tons of money in recent years and got nowhere, but people still won't learn.

brunooooo38

Genuinely feel like we’re starting to come along first time in a long time I’ve been excited to sit down and watch these games.Bruno pogba rashy martial AWB and a few more best starting 11 we’ve had in years imo still need to strengthen our right and CDM maybe and maybe a new CB but genuinely I think if we get the likes of sancho van de beek etc we could be good enough the only problem I could see us facing is consistency and having the extra hunger. If we get these sort of players with the squad we already have we could possibly have the best starting 11 in the prem

PoTMS

It genuinely makes me angry that we have needed to rely on other teams like City, Chelsea and fecking Leicester to win the league so Liverpool don't have to. Everyone at United should be embarrassed by the last 7 years and how our biggest rivals who have been a joke for the large part of 30 years have overtaken us so much.

Slysi17

Agreed 100%, I think United want young english talent in the squad so for the NT it's also good.

Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, AWB, Maguire all in the same squad would mean they are always together the same spine, if its England NT duty or Man Utd they will always train together, always know how each other plays, when to pass the ball, when to release it.

The prospect of having AWB Sancho form a partnership for the english NT for 8 years and Rashford + Sancho means the whole right channel will be together at all times.

International duty AND at club level, which would build a very strong foundation, Sancho is the 100% must buy this summer.

And yes there needs to be more signings with that, this summer is a statement of intent, but every summer should be.
You can't just buy English players and be obsessed about that. For example Donny Van De beek is a better player than Jack Grealish but people think otherwise. Liverpool just haven't bought English players and they have won both the champions league and the premier league.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
You can't just buy English players and be obsessed about that. For example Donny Van De beek is a better player than Jack Grealish but people think otherwise. Liverpool just haven't bought English players and they have won both the champions league and the premier league.
I agree again 100%, I'm saying Man Utd seems to prefer that (when it's an option) for me it ends with Sancho in terms of English players, then obviously VDB is a much better player than Grealish.

In Rainbows

Who wouldnt? Assuming they had the money Dortmund wanted and decided they needed a top quality attacker. Sounds a lot more like Real Madrid than Manchester United to me
I thought it was clear Real Madrid wanted Mbappe.

You say "who wouldn't" when there are plenty of teams who won't spend or be able to outspend United. That's why I asked. So I will ask again. Who will go after Sancho and thus prevent United from getting him?

dbs235

Sancho is a must buy. If Grealish and/or VDB are availible at reasonable fees we should get them. No idea who but a better partner for Maguire would be ideal too. That team really would be title winning.

UnitedFan93

One thing's for sure; next season we can't afford to have a goalkeeper dropping balls in to his own net like De Gea has this season. It's a massive issue that needs addressing by Ole.

RedDevilzFox

Ole's a good person and doing the best he can and generally he seems to be on the right track. Unfortunately he is up against the 2 best managers around. Goes to show how getting the managerial appointment right can do for the club. A lot of everything else is white noise. Don't be fooled Liverpool are suddenly the "best run" club around. But they certainly got 1 thing that matters most right after umpteenth attempts.

You can't help but feel we just have to bide our time until Klopp/Pep leave. Certainly not impossible with them in the league but we will have to get everything right and stars would have to align. Find a goal scorer that's going to bang in 30-35 goals a season (and key goals too), that's our best shot IMO.

Ekeke

I thought it was clear Real Madrid wanted Mbappe.

You say "who wouldn't" when there are plenty of teams who won't spend or be able to outspend United. That's why I asked. So I will ask again. Who will go after Sancho and thus prevent United from getting him?
I dont think teams need to outspend United to sign him. I think they need to make him more excited about a move to them than to us and thats an easy one for a decent number of teams

If it was just about being able to spend the most money United would be full of the best players in the world. It doesnt work like that

It seems more realistic that he'd want to sign for a team that he believes can win whatever league they are in and potentially win the champions league in the next few years too. Theres like 5 or 6 teams in that category and we arent

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I dont think teams need to outspend United to sign him. I think they need to make him more excited about a move to them than to us and thats an easy one for a decent number of teams
Such as who exactly? Sancho would only leave for an english team at this point, since he wants to play in the EPL.

Chelsea have just signed Werner and the have limited spending potential left.

Liverpool has Mane, Salah and Firmino and certainly can't afford him currently, nor would he start so its a no go for him. In addition to this if Liverpool sign anyone it'd be midfielders, their midfield is poor.

City are banned from the CL for 2 years which will impact their finances, plus they don't need attackers currently they need defenders.

So who else is going to big on Sancho? who can afford him? and who is a team that is 'exciting' in the EPL he will want to go to.

Dortmund want a transfer fee not 'excitement for Sancho', so the fee has to be right first and foremost.

United are the only option this summer for Sancho, there's no other club in the EPL, and Sancho wants to move realistically there's only one option.

Infra-red

It's not realistic to expect us to mount a challenge next season. The squad still needs a lot of work and both City and Liverpool have elite managers with proven track records of success at the highest level.

Even if Solskjaer is the right person for the job, it's still going to take at least another year's worth of development, to get us to the requisite standard. Perhaps by the start of 2021/22 one or both of Guardiola/Klopp will have moved on elsewhere.

Ekeke

Such as who exactly? Sancho would only leave for an english team at this point, since he wants to play in the EPL.

Chelsea have just signed Werner and the have limited spending potential left.

Liverpool has Mane, Salah and Firmino and certainly can't afford him currently, nor would he start so its a no go for him.

City are banned from the CL for 2 years which will impact their finances, plus they don't need attackers currently.

So who else is going to big on Sancho? who can afford him?
You dont think Liverpool would happily move on Firminho for Sancho?

He can go to another foreign team and still play in the premier league in the future. He's 20 years old and it doesnt seem likely that he'd want to join a worse team than his current one. At that point why bother when he can just stay at Dortmund another season and then see if he has a good offer

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
You dont think Liverpool would happily move on Firminho for Sancho?

He can go to another foreign team and still play in the premier league in the future. He's 20 years old and it doesnt seem likely that he'd want to join a worse team than his current one. At that point why bother when he can just stay at Dortmund another season and then see if he has a good offer
Liverpool would never sell Firmino, he's 28 years old and in the peak of his career, why would you trade a player in his peak that has good chemistry with Mane and Salah.

In 2-3 years they'll be looking to sell players, but right now? they want to win more trophies with the current squad. Liverpool need midfielders, not moving on what is an essential part of your team.

If you asked Klopp 'would you trade Sancho for Firmino' currently it's a ridiculous notion from a Liverpool perspective there are other areas that need resolving.

United aren't much worse than Dortmund honestly, just the German league doesn't has as strong of a league as the EPL.

You're forgetting one thing too, he wants to be in the EPL and he wants a wage increase (that's also important), coming to Utd would increase his pay by 200%. Dortmund can't pay the wages United can.

Sancho was also part of the City academy for 2 years, he knows Manchester so it's not like it would be a big lifestyle transition.

Get In Scholesy

Last year liverpool won cl and city won the league.
Year before city won the league and Liverpool got to cl final

You would think we would have had that as a wake up call
But it really wasn't

I think we will stick to a budget even if a player is needed and available unfortunately

Precisely this. The wake up call should have came when Scousers lost in the CL against Madrid. Especially after we finished 2nd and didn't improve on it. A proactive approach would have started then, not now. That is to assume if this will even be a wake up call.

Deery

Dreary
Watching the other night I thought every time the ball was passed it ended up with a quality player and I haven’t thought that for a long time

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The title says City/Liverpool dominance
Yes...and I didn't question the City part of the title because they have been dominating the league for quite a while now. But Liverpool has only won once, so again, why are they mentioned as a team that has been dominating the league???

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This team will be successful. Its in the early stages but its the youngest team in the league, the youngest starting 11, loads of talent and all the signs point to it improving more. I think we'll challenge at the top in 21/22 and win it within the next few years (between 21/22 and 23/24). City will need a big rebuild in a couple of years, liverpool will be at the top while Klopp is there but might coincide with him leaving as they need a rebuild, Chelsea I think will also push at the top with us. Tbh I think 20/21, 21/22, 22/23, 23/24 and 24/25 might see 4 different winners between the 5 years. Liverpool 1 or 2 more, City 1 or 2 more, Chelsea and United 1 each. Its a shit period right now, but it really is the time for patience.

Pogba and Maguire just turned 27, Bruno turns 26 later this year, Martial and Rashford are yet to reach their primes, Greenwood will be a star, big chance we sign a Sancho who is also only 20. We'll challenge within a couple years, but might have to wait to early/mid 2020's to get the win.

Deery

Dreary
I think Ancelotti would challenge Klopp:

Come at me then...

Slysi17

I agree again 100%, I'm saying Man Utd seems to prefer that (when it's an option) for me it ends with Sancho in terms of English players, then obviously VDB is a much better player than Grealish.
Yep. For some odd reason we seem to be hesitant on buying foriegn players which will cost us dearly in the end as Declan Rice won't improve us to a level where we can challenge Manchester City and Liverpool. Jadon Sancho is a great player. Want us to sign him badly.

Gasolin

I think we have to see now a jump in results next year. Hopefully this is happening, if we had time, we'd wait 2 years but now it would be good to see us having a much higher winning ratio starting next year. That's up to Ole, and hopefully, the right recruitment.

Gasolin

We could go for VdB, I am sure Ole is keen, unless Kai Havertz is somehow available. I don't see Ole being shy about it, I think the English thing is what he said once to explain that we want to be Manchester United located in England, not Russia, but beyond that? He's looking for all type of talent. We took Bruno, right? We are thinking of Kai or VdB. Those are players Ole seem to like. Let's not worry too much about this English stuff, with Sancho, our starting 11 will have Rashford, Sancho, Maguire, AWB and Shaw for now. That's 5 players. It's a lot. Let's imagine Greenwood comes in, it's even better, etc... but I am sure we have the will to get great players, whatever the nationality.

Okey

Might be a minority opinion, but I don't think we're that far away. We're getting better and better as a team, especially with beating teams that we should beat. It's all up to the money men. We have to keep the foot on the gas and kick on. No stagnating or looking back. Look what Bruno alone has done to the team. Get Sancho, a quality CDM who can go most of the season (Zakaria for me but what do I know?), and another central midfielder for elite depth (Grealish for me but there's options) and we could truly be challenging as soon as next season if we keep improving like we are doing now. Ole doesn't have to be a better manager than Klopp or Pep for us to challenge. Not like he's done badly against them this season by the way. It's all up to the board this summer. Kick on in the transfer market and we have a real good chance...

It really hurts seeing those two bastards cleaning up just now, City have limitless money; Liverpool have a great manager who has outperformed City's great manager. What we need is big ideas: spend big to improve and go toe to toe with every other club in the league, so giving Ole (any United manager) every chance. We are the biggest club in the UK by miles, so there is no excuse to stand aside and watch others succeed. We need to again understand our position, exactly as Fergie drilled into every aspect of the club for the first time since Sir Matt. We need characters on the pitch big enough to accept that responsibility. I hope it's with Ole, but it isn't about personalities, it's about the next man who can bring that belief. We must again be ruthless and totally focused on what matters: trophies, especially league titles.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Might be a minority opinion, but I don't think we're that far away. We're getting better and better as a team, especially with beating teams that we should beat. It's all up to the money men. We have to keep the foot on the gas and kick on. No stagnating or looking back. Look what Bruno alone has done to the team. Get Sancho, a quality CDM who can go most of the season (Zakaria for me but what do I know?), and another central midfielder for elite depth (Grealish for me but there's options) and we could truly be challenging as soon as next season if we keep improving like we are doing now. Ole doesn't have to be a better manager than Klopp or Pep for us to challenge. Not like he's done badly against them this season by the way. It's all up to the board this summer. Kick on in the transfer market and we have a real good chance...
Our first team is close. But our squad needs major work, we just dont have the quality to fill in when a few injuries hit us. But if we keep our first team fit then we aren't far off. Sancho is the missing piece, i've been saying it for almost 2 seasons now. He's a perfect fit for our club and exactly what we need. He'd have a bigger impact on our team than Bruno imo.

Okey

Our first team is close. But our squad needs major work, we just dont have the quality to fill in when a few injuries hit us. But if we keep our first team fit then we aren't far off. Sancho is the missing piece, i've been saying it for almost 2 seasons now. He's a perfect fit for our club and exactly what we need. He'd have a bigger impact on our team than Bruno imo.
Well, if Sancho comes in and indeed has a bigger impact than Bruno then we're nailed on to challenge! If you have a new elite CDM, Matic is a quality sub. If there's a Grealish on the bench with the solid workhorses we already have, its really not that bad a squad, apart from perhaps up front. No doubt the squad needs work, but those 3 players if we get them would be at least half the work already done.

Ekeke

Liverpool would never sell Firmino, he's 28 years old and in the peak of his career, why would you trade a player in his peak that has good chemistry with Mane and Salah.

In 2-3 years they'll be looking to sell players, but right now? they want to win more trophies with the current squad. Liverpool need midfielders, not moving on what is an essential part of your team.

If you asked Klopp 'would you trade Sancho for Firmino' currently it's a ridiculous notion from a Liverpool perspective there are other areas that need resolving.

United aren't much worse than Dortmund honestly, just the German league doesn't has as strong of a league as the EPL.

You're forgetting one thing too, he wants to be in the EPL and he wants a wage increase (that's also important), coming to Utd would increase his pay by 200%. Dortmund can't pay the wages United can.

Sancho was also part of the City academy for 2 years, he knows Manchester so it's not like it would be a big lifestyle transition.
Because teams need to keep improving and Sancho is worth adjusting things for. Why didnt we sign Tevez after we did the treble with him on loan? :lol:

Salah or Mane through the middle with Sancho on the right is something any manager would love to try.

He can get paid wherever he goes, its unlikely thats the most important thing to someone who would have their choice of most clubs at 20 years old

The Red Thinker

With the right investment, we can challenge next year.

We are a couple of signings away from being top class. A centre back, A right winger and keep Pogba. Oh and a consistent De Gea.

This is how we challenge. We will need one more year for that team to gel together completely.

Then 2022, we'll be ready to go toe to toe.

People don't realise that we have evolved up one level since that defeat to Burnley and the addition of Bruno. We've conceded 3 goals in the last 13 games while scoring 30! 10 clean sheets.

We are moving ahead in the best possible direction.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
This thread would've been applicable last season when Liverpool won the CL and City went back-to-back in the PL or year before that where they set the PL point record. Truth is, our board don't care about winning big prizes. Just look at the pitiful transfer activity last summer and the way this club is run. CL money is what they are after and I reckon that's going to be goal for short-term until Klopp/Pep decide to feck off. All this talk about Sancho transfer and I just think, 'why do we do this to ourselves?'. Go back few weeks and read Woodward quotes about how this is going to be a 'difficult summer', don't expect big investment sans a Pogba sale.

For me personally, the immediate step we have to take is to establish ourselves as a regular CL side before we think about challenging for the PL.

Green_Red

Liverpool dominance? Bahahahahahahahaha feck off will ye. 1 league title ino 300 years! Jesus wept.