So where is Modric rated in best CM’s of all time ?

James Peril

I wouldn’t put Iniesta in the lists next to Xavi & Modrić, he was more comparable to someone like Zidane or Rivelino.

As far as creative central midfielders go Modrić is probably as good as anyone, Xavi aside. Better than Pirlo, Scholes, Kroos and the rest of his more or less contemporaries. Somewhere alongside Luis Suarez, Didi & Jozsef Bozsik.

If we’re talking about central midfielders in general, I’d take Xavi, Matthäus & Rijkaard ahead of him. The rest are arguable.

Magical player.
Throw in some Brazilian geezer born in 1946 for obvious hipster points I see. I have to ask; how many games have you seen him play? As he never played for a professional club and you most likely didn’t have live access to Brazilian football back in the 60’s or early 70’s, dare I say this is based on stuff you’ve read and perhaps a highlight reel of the 1970 World Cup on VHS? That’s 52 years ago, the level was atrocious and as implied above, I don’t think you’ve ever seen him play outside of a clip or two. Daft, always someone throwing in random names in a discussion about modern football to sound a bit superior. Boszik, really? He’s been dead for 50 years, no way on earth you can list a player that you have never seen and who played amateur football 70 years ago.

As for Modric, why don’t we just stop the ranking and put him on top together with other legends such as Xavi. They deserve to be saluted together.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I wouldn’t put Iniesta in the lists next to Xavi & Modrić, he was more comparable to someone like Zidane or Rivelino.

As far as creative central midfielders go Modrić is probably as good as anyone, Xavi aside. Better than Pirlo, Scholes, Kroos and the rest of his more or less contemporaries. Somewhere alongside Luis Suarez, Didi & Jozsef Bozsik.

If we’re talking about central midfielders in general, I’d take Xavi, Matthäus & Rijkaard ahead of him. The rest are arguable.

Magical player.
Aye spot on. Agree particularly with the top tier of Xavi/Matthaus/Rijkaard and then it's about personal / stylistic preferences in that next group - Modric included - because they all have good claims. It's particularly impressive how, into his mid-30s, he keeps on adding extra layers onto his extensive body of work. And of all those great midfielders he's one of the most malleable and adaptable to different roles and systems.

slored1

From what I've seen I would only rank Xavi above him. A special special player.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Throw in some Brazilian geezer born in 1946 for obvious hipster points I see. I have to ask; how many games have you seen him play? As he never played for a professional club and you most likely didn’t have live access to Brazilian football back in the 60’s or early 70’s, dare I say this is based on stuff you’ve read and perhaps a highlight reel of the 1970 World Cup on VHS? That’s 52 years ago, the level was atrocious and as implied above, I don’t think you’ve ever seen him play outside of a clip or two. Daft, always someone throwing in random names in a discussion about modern football to sound a bit superior. Boszik, really? He’s been dead for 50 years, no way on earth you can list a player that you have never seen and who played amateur football 70 years ago.

As for Modric, why don’t we just stop the ranking and put him on top together with other legends such as Xavi. They deserve to be saluted together.
:lol: Damn right @harms - you need to actually start researching these old players and not just pretending to know all about them. Fecking chancer.

EtH

What are these “qualities” Xavi supposedly had that Modric didn’t ? If I’m picking one midfielder for my team from the current era it’s Modric as he was far more complete and much more versatile.

432JuanMata

What are these “qualities” Xavi supposedly had that Modric didn’t ? If I’m picking one midfielder for my team from the current era it’s Modric as he was far more complete and much more versatile.
His spatial awareness and technical prowess was second to none. He was insane at finding space and moved the ball so quick. He is the reason that Tika Taka was so successful for Barca.

EtH

His spatial awareness and technical prowess was second to none. He was insane at finding space and moved the ball so quick. He is the reason that Tika Taka was so successful for Barca.
Yeah. Him and Messi and Iniesta and Busquets and Pique and Dani Alves etc etc

432JuanMata

Yeah. Him and Messi and Iniesta and Busquets and Pique and Dani Alves etc etc
Yeah but the Tika Taka football wouldn’t of been anywhere near as successful. Modric is special and up there for me but Xavi is better

Eddy_JukeZ

Both of them have great engines. Modric probably shading it for being able to still have a good engine at the latter part of his career. Modric is a better ball carrier. He's arguably the best ever from central midfield or up there with anyone.

Xavi's passing is superior to Modric's in every aspect. He has a better controlled short passing game. He has a better pass switching play from 1 flank to another. He is better at incisive passes that break the lines through midfield and even for passes that take out a defensive line. His end product from passes is better as well. He had 30 assists in 1 season from central midfield. I don't think anyone in football history could manage that. Xavi's better from set pieces and can even 'ping' in a ball better than Modric if we're talking about crossing too.

Both of them are supreme at being press-resistant, but I think Xavi's conduction with the ball in congested areas is better. He's better at pirouetting in place than Modric is too with his famous 'La Pelopina' and is IMO the most press-resistant midfielder ever.

Reactions: Invictus

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A key point is that while he is remembered for his ability to control games as part of that Tiki Taka set-up, at his best his passing was incredibly incisive too. He didn't just keep the ball and control the game, he dissected defences as well.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Mate, it's harms. If this wasn't a time when, unfortunately, there is absolute shitstorm in his country I would bet he would be watching some match from the 60's or making individual compilation of some 'hipster' player that drew his attention.

It's high probability even in this case tbf.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If you are playing possession-based football, there's not a single central midfielder getting into that team ahead of Xavi. His claim to fame is being the gold standard when it comes to ball retention and recycling.

Modric is a better all-rounder and more versatile, but Xavi is the pinnacle of a specific brand of football bar none.

Eddy_JukeZ

I would say Messi spearheaded it, I think Barcelona was the perfect storm and Xavi I was a main component most certainly but they don’t win as much as they do without having the greatest player of all time.

We saw Barcelona still went onto win the treble with MSN at the forefront as you say.

Ronaldo was likewise key in Modric winning 4CL but I would say in many of the big games Modric Di Maria took turns in actually being the most important players in those ties, games against Atletico where Ronaldo was quiet for most of the game it was Modric and Di Maria that really took hold of the game and pushed the team forward, Xavi rarely had to do this with Barcelona because Messi was so supernatural he would not only be the finisher but the playmaker and the ball carrier all at the same time.

In terms of international honours I think Modric taking a Croatia side to th World Cup final is almost as big of a deal as any of the international honours that Xavi win with a side that contained Iniesta Villa Ramos Pique Busquets Alba Torres Silva Fabregas all at their very prime, Modric of course never had the privilege of being born Spanish, but I always refer to his game against Spain in 2012 for example as just an insight to how things may have not been too much different if for example he was..

He was incredible this game and never had a team stacked with literal all time greats.
Was Spain the perfect storm too? Spain won just easily without Messi. So I don't necessarily think that argument applies.

Did Barcelona or Spain ever have a game where their midfield got dominated from 2008 to 2012?

432JuanMata

Was Spain the perfect storm too? Spain won just easily without Messi. So I don't necessarily think that argument applies.

Did Barcelona or Spain ever have a game where their midfield got dominated from 2008 to 2012?
Also isn’t the opposite argument when people try play down Messi saying he could t do without Xavi/Iniesta. That Barca/Spain period was pure domination

EtH

Both of them have great engines. Modric probably shading it for being able to still have a good engine at the latter part of his career. Modric is a better ball carrier. He's arguably the best ever from central midfield or up there with anyone.

Xavi's passing is superior to Modric's in every aspect. He has a better controlled short passing game. He has a better pass switching play from 1 flank to another. He is better at incisive passes that break the lines through midfield and even for passes that take out a defensive line. His end product from passes is better as well. He had 30 assists in 1 season from central midfield. I don't think anyone in football history could manage that. Xavi's better from set pieces and can even 'ping' in a ball better than Modric if we're talking about crossing too.

Both of them are supreme at being press-resistant, but I think Xavi's conduction with the ball in congested areas is better. He's better at pirouetting in place than Modric is too with his famous 'La Pelopina' and is IMO the most press-resistant midfielder ever.

You’re exaggerating the difference in passing range although obviously Xavi did it at a clinical level. The point is that it doesn’t translate unless the side is as superior as Barca was. And Modric had the skillset to play in a team like that as well. So focusing on the edge in creativity for Xavi is a bit disingenuous to say the least while you’re ignoring the differences in physicality and defensive abilities which were all in favor of Modric.

Righteous Steps

Spain had all time greats like Iniesta also who was often their match winner, plus prime Villa Pique Ramos Alba Busquets Senna all time greats in every position mostly, Modric didn’t have that privilege but still put in great performances against them as his teams sole world class player.

mancan92

Never seen this match before but around 20 years old against a very good arsenal team. He looks a ridiculous talent then obviously onto spurs but I just don't understand how other top teams weren't on to him then

Eddy_JukeZ

You’re exaggerating the difference in passing range although obviously Xavi did it at a clinical level. The point is that it doesn’t translate unless the side is as superior as Barca was. And Modric had the skillset to play in a team like that as well. So focusing on the edge in creativity for Xavi is a bit disingenuous to say the least while you’re ignoring the differences in physicality and defensive abilities which were all in favor of Modric.
I didn't exaggerate anything. I simply said Xavi was clearly better in the areas I mentioned.

As for the bolded: Spain in the 2008 Euros weren't exactly a possession heavy side. They had less possession in the final than Germany did and were a more direct team(far more than they were in 2010) and even 2012. Xavi was the player of the tournament then in a team that did not control games to the extent they did 2 years later at theWC.

And I didn't ignore anything in favor of Modric. I said he's a better better carrier(the physical advantage he had) and that his engine lasted for a longer duration in his career than Xavi did.

Eddy_JukeZ

Spain had all time greats like Iniesta also who was often their match winner, plus prime Villa Pique Ramos Alba Busquets Senna all time greats in every position mostly, Modric didn’t have that privilege but still put in great performances against them as his teams sole world class player.
Great teams have great players. But how did that Spain side do once Xavi declined?

Modric didn't have that privilege for his national team, but he did for Real Madrid.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Never seen this match before but around 20 years old against a very good arsenal team. He looks a ridiculous talent then obviously onto spurs but I just don't understand how other top teams weren't on to him then
Such a complete midfielder!

MrEleson

Even discounting today, I’ve always felt he was the best central midfielder I’ve seen in my lifetime. He’s so complete. VERY, VERY little weaknesses in his game.

He’s press resistant, industrious, excellent with both feet, incredible at short and long range passing (his outside of the boot passes are utterly sumptuous); can dictate and control the tempo of the game; good at driving the ball forward and turning in tight spaces and he has unbelievable vision. Not to mention his dynamite shooting ability from long range.

He’s an absolute juggernaut of a player. His sheer longevity at the highest level is just the icing on the cake. He’s clear of Xavi and Iniesta for me and I know that’s a controversial one. But you just know Modric can fit any system and be the lynchpin and anchor for his side. Not sure how Xavi and Iniesta would be in other systems as they’re far more limited and play a very specific style.

EtH

I didn't exaggerate anything. I simply said Xavi was clearly better in the areas I mentioned.

As for the bolded: Spain in the 2008 Euros weren't exactly a possession heavy side. They had less possession in the final than Germany did and were a more direct team(far more than they were in 2010) and even 2012. Xavi was the player of the tournament then in a team that did not control games to the extent they did 2 years later at theWC.

And I didn't ignore anything in favor of Modric. I said he's a better better carrier(the physical advantage he had) and that his engine lasted for a longer duration in his career than Xavi did.
International football is a terrible barometer. But Spain had a lot of great players who declined around the same time Xavi did so that’s a stretch to say the least.

Either way Modric had more in his locker which allowed him to excel in different ways depending on the match / opponent. Thus he was more complete and the better midfielder overall for me.

I also find it impossible not to acknowledge the miraculous injury record Barca managed in their pomp and the controversy surrounding that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Probably the best and greatest central midfielder in Real Madrid history

MrEleson

If you couldn't express your opinion on Modric > Iniesta and Xavi, prior to a CL R16 game, then maybe your opinion is a tad bit knee-jerkish?
Personally, I’ve always thought this but never saw this thread till today.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’m one of a few that think he’s better than Xavi, just by a smidge but his engine and work rate on top of all that technical prowess is the best combo I think I have ever seen. He’s just sublime.

MattJ166

Xavi edges it for me but it's fecking close, absolutely no shame in losing out to Xavi in the central midfield GOAT list, maybe just behind Tom Cleverley also .

I've always been a fan of Modric and would almost immediately buy him from Spurs back when I played Fifa regularly :lol:

Devil’s Trident

He is not as good as Xavi you mad lot. Even on his last legs and Modric in his prime Xavi dominated the whole of Madrid. Modric couldn’t get near to Xavi. Barca dominated Madrid in almost every match because of the midfield because of Xavi Hernandes. Spain dominated every team because of midfield because of Xavi hernandes. If Xavi Hernandes was playing for psg today, Modric won’t even see the ball to create the openings and win the match for Madrid.

However I do believe Modric is something more than Xavi. He has more to offer in the offensive department. He can turn into a creative attacking midfielder / your no. 10 in an instant seamlessly.

Having said that, Xavi is still better than Modric everything considered but it’s not a slight on Modric, who is an absolute baller, a complete midfielder. Toni kroos is fantastic, Verratti is good, de Jong will be excellent but all these players aren’t even fit to lace Modric’s boots. There are levels to it but Modric belongs in the top echelon below the likes of Xavi only who is the greatest CM of all time in my opinion.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan

I think a lot of people in this thread have watched all of them including me. I’ve seen so many great cm in my life, excellent old generation players like Gerson, Bozsik,Didi,Netto and a lot more and more . Today technologies are a bit like time machine that you could see something eventually great from the past and talking about evidence there are a lot of evidences in players performances or ratings since 1960s both Americas and Europes. Argentina’s newspapers probably have some criticizing on their players , Brazilian’s newspapers are a bit similar. On the other hand, European newspapers especially in Italy and Spain have some comments and ratings on their players since 1960s, example when Juventus in 80s played really poor in some matches you could see some intolerant comments from Italian journalists.

I have some( in fact “many” ) evidences or comments from newspaper journalists in my computer both Americas and Europe and I probably have seen some journalists commented on Maradona’s performances or Pele’s performances when they played terribly ,not only those two guys, other old players too. If you want some evidences, ratings, old football newspapers, old football players column or criticizing from old journalists, you can contact me anytime. I will send my toys to you both Americas and Europe and if you want some from Asia, I will share you too, since I’m from Southeast Asia.

Last edited:

SoCross

He absolutely did he played alot for you guys in his first season on the wing
Yep, was stationed left midfield. Think it was Huddlestone and Jenas in the middle. Can’t recall clearly now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
One level below Xavi and Iniesta but an incredible player. So complete.

led_scholes

Is he below Xavi and Iniesta in general? Xavis peak, which was incredibly high, was like what 5 years? Modric is doing it the last 12 years.

Him and Eduardo were always my first buys in FM 06.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Even discounting today, I’ve always felt he was the best central midfielder I’ve seen in my lifetime. He’s so complete. VERY, VERY little weaknesses in his game.

He’s press resistant, industrious, excellent with both feet, incredible at short and long range passing (his outside of the boot passes are utterly sumptuous); can dictate and control the tempo of the game; good at driving the ball forward and turning in tight spaces and he has unbelievable vision. Not to mention his dynamite shooting ability from long range.

He’s an absolute juggernaut of a player. His sheer longevity at the highest level is just the icing on the cake. He’s clear of Xavi and Iniesta for me and I know that’s a controversial one. But you just know Modric can fit any system and be the lynchpin and anchor for his side. Not sure how Xavi and Iniesta would be in other systems as they’re far more limited and play a very specific style.
Limited? Bizarre description for two of the greatest midfielders to ever play the game.

Especially untrue of Iniesta who throughout his career was known for his versatility. He played and performed in high level games as a DM, CM, AM and wide forward.

KeanoMagicHat

Have to admit that I thought Modric was done, he was nowhere in the first leg. But it's a bit like Zidane in the 2006 World Cup, there's life in the old dog yet. Not as good as Xavi though, he's good at keeping the ball but PSG had less possession in both legs, in fact Real Madrid have rarely controlled any games like Xavi's Barca did.