So who do you play Paul or Fred v The Foxes

Baneofthegame

We should of played Fred and McT vs Southampton/West Ham to give either Bruno or Pogba some damn rest.

jamesjimmybyrondean

There's no point of having Fred or Mctominay if Ole finds it best to only play them as bodies to rest Matic and Pogba rather than them feature in games like these where a player like them are best suited

tjb

Don't really understand this. Pogba has been brilliant since he has come back. Our entire way of playing has changed to dominating teams and he has been the difference to make it happen. One mistake, and bench him for the most important game we have this season!

De Gea made a big mistake and fans wanted him out of the team. (Although I don't think he is going to keep his place long term, he will start the Leicester game).

I would play the same first XI and ask them to have a go at winning it. Don't want to go into the last 5-10 mins with Leicester having a chance.
Our fans are horrible that's why. They expect loyalty but literally any player that makes an error is destroyed. With the verocity of the reactions to him and De Gea, it feels like some of our fans wait for these players to make a mistake so that they can attack them, then are really quiet when they perform. That's the only reason to explain why threads during draws are 10 pages less than draws or defeats.

tjb

It's strange that we look so tired. I know its only a few days rest in-between games but still, they're professional athletes and i'm surprised they cant handle the number of games.
People literally have no sympathy whatsoever. They have been playing 2 to 3 games a week at times, yet you don't understand why they're tired. If we play Fred or Mctominay and we lose, they same fans clamouring for them will call Ole a terrible manager....this team is literally getting limited support from fans. Sometimes I think that having no fans in the stadium, particularly at Old Trafford, may have helped us in this run.

bsCallout

I'd actually be tempted to play them all.

I think I'd play 4-3-3 with Fred, Matic and Pogba and a front three of Martial, Bruno and Greenwood with Bruno playing as the false 9 & Greenwood and Martial playing between the CBs and Fullbacks.

Bruno has been playing far enough forward anyway and Pogba will feel the freedom to support the attack more. It would give us the necessary energy across the pitch.

Now that I think about it I'll be concerned if we don't.

bsCallout

People literally have no sympathy whatsoever. They have been playing 2 to 3 games a week at times, yet you don't understand why they're tired. If we play Fred or Mctominay and we lose, they same fans clamouring for them will call Ole a terrible manager....this team is literally getting limited support from fans. Sometimes I think that having no fans in the stadium, particularly at Old Trafford, may have helped us in this run.
A lot of people haven't played any sport at a reasonable standard.

These players have played a ridiculous amount and the difference between a pro and amateur in playing this many games is that the standard the pros play at always remains much higher, higher intensity, higher quality and perhaps most importantly higher quality opposition.

A lack of recovery is like playing with 3 hours sleep everynight. It drains you game after game, day after day as you've never been able to recover properly. You're 1 second slower in everything you do.

It's infuriating how few people appreciate this.

We should be applauding these players that have played every minute because we desperately needed to. Ole tried as hard as he could to rest important players as soon as he could in our big wins.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Pogba quite possibly already has when he decided he'd rather we conceded a penalty than let the ball hit him. Or when he inexplicably decided to do an oil tanker turn in his own area against Southampton and lost the ball.

Bruno and Rashford have been key even in recent games, along with Martial and Greenwood. We have to play the front four. No one else has done much to suggest they need to be there over the last 4-5 games. Maybe Shaw as it's very noticable we suffer from him not being there, and maybe Bissaka simply because we don't have another right sided fullback. Certainly no one in central midfield and our central defence and goalkeeper aren't exactly confidence inspiring at the moment either.
Nice, let's ignore the other he contributed in and not mention the penalty he earned vs Spurs.

starman

The midfield that beat City before lockdown is the most balanced we have imo in Matic and Fred behind Bruno

tjb

Nice, let's ignore the other he contributed in and not mention the penalty he earned vs Spurs.
I was Pogba Out prior to the lockdown, because I thought he wanted to leave, but once he showed commitment, was fully behind him. As were most others. Apparently, all it takes is a mistake for our fans to turn on him. The worst part about this is, if Souness or another pundit comes after him, he will hardly get support from our fans. Yet they want loyalty.

RedNed77

Fred, McTominay and Pogba. Give Bruno a rest.

I know it's a crucial game for CL but Leicester needs to go for the win and that midfield lineup is good enough to soak up the pressure with Bruno coming in later.
That's if Pogba won't be strolling around again. I hope he won't.
This for me too, Fred and McTominay dovetail quite well. We lost a few games with them earlier in the season because the creative player was Mata or Lingard. Fred & McTom with Pogba to start, Pogba would be free of nearly all defensive responsibility.

Then we can bring on Matic and Bruno if it’s not going well. Bruno also has that ability to raise morale and cajole those around him, he has good game changing attributes in my mind.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He cost us the game because he didn't want the ball to hit him in the face. That's worthy of criticism I'm afraid. Pogba is not immune from being criticised when he literally costs his team the game. Grow up.

We are also talking about who to play in the next game, so how people played in the last game is actually slightly more relevant than what they did against Tottenham Hotspur 10 games ago. Pogba has cost us points in two of the last three league games and done very little to compensate for that in the same time...and actually I think Matic has been worse but he is the less liable of the two to do something completely ridiculous.

I'd quite happily not play either at this point but as I said we've left ourselves with a problem as McTominay and Fred haven't been given enough football to expect reliable performances from them either. I don't think there's any combination of the four we can play that we can be confident wont struggle.

bsCallout

To add to my previous message, this mentality towards players isn't reserved for just fans.

I've seen on more than one occassion Roy Keane criticise players such as Pogba and Shaw for not sprinting back or closing those two yards.

I actually watched highlights of a few games recently that Keane was involved in where I questioned his effort in tracking back or Rio, Vidic & Evra not closing down. Now over the course of their careers the effort can't be doubted. So even people with experience seem to see these things black and white, with zero nuance, often being hypocrits in the process.

Alemar

So who gets the nod in the Cup Final - me Ill go with Fred.
The most important, decisive game of the season - it is impossible for OGS not to play one of our star players in it. Certainly Pogba will start.
Yet, Fred may also play as Matic doesn’t have a star status and so far may theoretically be dropped

ghagua

Fred with Matic. I hope we don't go with that shite 5 in the back (if we have 5 fit players right now). I would not even mind if McT comes in for Bruno. We just need to hold out for a draw, not need to take risks in trying to win and then end up losing.

arnie_ni

Id consider going fred mct and pogba.

Matic and bruno look goosed

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Don’t be daft. Paul in midfield with Bruno. Fred can be in question for Matic just so he can hurry the play a little bit more

tjb

To add to my previous message, this mentality towards players isn't reserved for just fans.

I've seen on more than one occassion Roy Keane criticise players such as Pogba and Shaw for not sprinting back or closing those two yards.

I actually watched highlights of a few games recently that Keane was involved in where I questioned his effort in tracking back or Rio, Vidic & Evra not closing down. Now over the course of their careers the effort can't be doubted. So even people with experience seem to see these things black and white, with zero nuance, often being hypocrits in the process.
In truth, our pundits generally don't do a good job with helping our team. It's not what it was with Fergie and reminding us that every week isn't going to help us get back to where we want to be.

simplyared

That this is a thread! Not even up for discussion. You just don't replace Paul Pogba in such a big game for Fred. Not unless you want to hand it to the opposition. Ridiculous to even suggest it! Our midfield is Bruno/Pogba/Matic with MacT on the bench ready to come in if necessary. Fred shouldn't even be on the bus never mind starting.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Its not a case of having no sympathy, its a genuine question. Often we look a lot more tired than our opponents and we genuinely look dead on our feet at the moment, and whilst there have been a lot of fixtures, I dont see other sides looking as tired as we do.

Leicester on Sunday will be interesting, i believe for a pro footballer its ample rest in-between games, i played to a decent level and do appreciate the need for rest time. My point is that whoever we play always looks a lot less tired than ourselves.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That this is a thread! Not even up for discussion. You just don't replace Paul Pogba in such a big game for Fred. Not unless you want to hand it to the opposition. Ridiculous to even suggest it! Our midfield is Bruno/Pogba/Matic with MacT on the bench ready to come in if necessary. Fred shouldn't even be on the bus never mind starting.
Whilst I would still pick a Pogba-Matic-Bruno trio, I don't think its beyond discussion to consider Fred.

As for your bold bit, Pogba has made 2 massive errors deep in his own half leading to goals towards draws. (southampton and west ham). So if anything he's been handing it to the opposition a bit.

Squeaky Bumtime

This for me too, Fred and McTominay dovetail quite well. We lost a few games with them earlier in the season because the creative player was Mata or Lingard. Fred & McTom with Pogba to start, Pogba would be free of nearly all defensive responsibility.

Then we can bring on Matic and Bruno if it’s not going well. Bruno also has that ability to raise morale and cajole those around him, he has good game changing attributes in my mind.
Fred and McT are treated like pub footballers 'round here when the matter of fact is pre brake they were pretty good and are capable of good games. It goes so far as to claim that Ole isn't subbing them cause they're so crap. Do we need better players and a better bench? Sure, bud those 2 are not as bad as portrayed definitely.

Squeaky Bumtime

A rest for what game?

This is pretty much a final. Players will perform on adrenaline on the final day. This guy has been good for a goal/assist for almost every game. I don't get why anyone would bench that output.
He's dead on his feet. They should have pefrormed on adrenaline on Thursday too but they could barely walk.

DarkChild™

This thread makes me shudder! How is this even a debate? Makes one think we deserve the crap players that have been stinking up the field everytime.

dal

Wtf are people changing formations for the last game of the season.

Keep it the same however to add some solidity, play Matic and Fred at the base and go with either pogba/Fred further forward.

Tony has been outstanding coming from the left recently hence I’d go with Tony, Ighalo and greenwood upfront with rashford and Bruno coming on to change the game

Mainoldo

Drop Bruno. Let Pogba run wild. Then we also have a super sub in Bruno then.

Grande

I think it’s a difficult one, because it is about assessing just how knackered the team is, particularily mentally, after another three days rest. We have seen just how good this first 11 can be together, and we have seen that putting a fresh Fred and Scott in doesn’t improve play all of a sudden. We’ve also seen that with two days less rest than teams, it’s an even game at this point.

Ole will have to assess the fatigue level of the players the next few days, but it’s not hard science and impossible to really know before the pudding is in the arena, so to speak.

I’m guessing on the obvious eleven if Shaw is ready. If anything, could be a back three with Shaw as a LCB and Mason on the bench.

MattofManchester

I think perhaps Bruno should be dropped. He's looking shattered, and just not up for the races these days.

Give Pogba his old bombarding role back and slot in McTominay(Fred and Pogba don't seem to gel very well). I don't think a tired Bruno is going to be in any way effective.

While it seems insanity to do so, Bruno has been more of a liability than a strength in recent games, and Ole needs to trust his options.
No doubt, Bruno and Pogba will play though, so we're just discussing fairytales.

Its not even the most major concern we have though. If Shaw returns, the right back position seems the most worrying both offensively and defensively.

Champagne Football

Leicester will live being the underdogs. It will suit them greatly. They still have a lot of quality in the team. They beat Sheffield United at home a couple of weeks ago.

I'd definitely start Fred ahead of Bruno and bring Bruno on after 60mins. Bruno and Pogba have looked absolutely shattered recently. I'd bring Fred in for 1 of them. But I think Ole will stick to same XI as always

Smores

He's a bit too lackadaisical on the ball at the best of times never mind when he's tired. We either need to drop him or compensate for this with more support in Fred alongside him and the attack including Bruno closer to him.

Expecting him to receive a ball under pressure with no options around him will not end well.

RUCK4444

I'd like both Fred and Matic playing in this. They are our only two half-decent defensive midfielders and the legs have totally gone in our midfield, hoping that Fred will help cover the ground for Matic.

Drop one of Pogba or Bruno. Unless we push Bruno right up and drop a forward, have Pogba behind him but that's a bit too much change for such an important game. Just think we need a major change in order to inject some legs back into the team without dropping our best players.

rotherham_red

Fred-McTominay double pivot, Pogba as the 10 (Bruno badly needs a rest)

But in all likelihood, it will probably be the first choice XI with hopefully Shaw and AWB back

rotherham_red

I'd play Fred and McTominay, but honestly even then I think we're in trouble in the midfield area as we've given the two of them so little game time that it's pretty much impossible to expect them not to be rusty. While Matic and Pogba have had so much game time their performance levels have dropped off a cliff, and they aren't going to suddenly play well again just because people hope they will.

Pogba quite possibly already has when he decided he'd rather we conceded a penalty than let the ball hit him. Or when he inexplicably decided to do an oil tanker turn in his own area against Southampton and lost the ball.

Bruno and Rashford have been key even in recent games, along with Martial and Greenwood. We have to play the front four. No one else has done much to suggest they need to be there over the last 4-5 games. Maybe Shaw as it's very noticable we suffer from him not being there, and maybe Bissaka simply because we don't have another right sided fullback. Certainly no one in central midfield and our central defence and goalkeeper aren't exactly confidence inspiring at the moment either.
They've each started 3 games since the restart. It's not exactly like they'll be coming in completely cold.

Under normal circumstances, 3 starts in 4-5 weeks would be perfectly fine.

RUCK4444

I mean... play Pogba.. but, I really question Pogba's role since Bruno came. Sure, Bruno is brought to be the primary leader in terms of the offensive threat. But since he's come, it looks as though Pogba is just under no circumstances going to create anything himself. In that West Ham game, we could have easily played Scott or Fred or even Andreas, and our attacking wouldn't have been any different. That's worrying.

If this is the role Ole tells Pogba to play, I think he's largely putting unnecessary restraint on a great attacking asset. I'm not advocating that Bruno and Pogba both play CAMs - but Pogba is this clubs most expensive signing, he's the World Cup winner, he's the most experienced outfield player... I, and hope Ole as well, really expect more from him, than him just constantly passing to Matic/our defenders, and expect them to... what... I don't know.

I'm worried about the Leicester game. Can definitely see us playing for a draw, then conceding late on, and not knowing what to do. Splendid times, these.
This bolded bit, above anything else is my biggest worry. This team is incapable of playing for draws, I don't ever in my lifetime remember us getting the result we want whenever we have approached a game in that manner.

Giggs' right foot

This bolded bit, above anything else is my biggest worry. This team is incapable of playing for draws, I don't ever in my lifetime remember us getting the result we want whenever we have approached a game in that manner.
Could not agree more. Still remember how we played for a draw vs. Man City the 30th of April, 2012. Three games left, and three points down, SAF used caution, played a single striker and generally we were so far away from ever scoring a goal, while players like Berbatov and Hernandez never got minutes... I hope Ole just says... “lads. For the love of god look at the badge on your shirt. That’s it. That’s the team talk.” and we demolish them. But we know that’s not gonna happen...

RUCK4444

Could not agree more. Still remember how we played for a draw vs. Man City the 30th of April, 2012. Three games left, and three points down, SAF used caution, played a single striker and generally we were so far away from ever scoring a goal, while players like Berbatov and Hernandez never got minutes... I hope Ole just says... “lads. For the love of god look at the badge on your shirt. That’s it. That’s the team talk.” and we demolish them. But we know that’s not gonna happen...
Yeah I remember that. We haven't been guilty of attempting to play for a draw too often but whenever we have it's never gone in our favour, we just aren't geared that way.

I hope he reminds them of where we were in the table and the opportunity this game provides, it's vital for the club, for the fans. The absolute minimum I want to see is 100% effort and intensity. I don't care if we sky a thousand shots and scrape a draw, the only way we get anything from this game is with a 100% intensity. I'm praying the rest will have rejuvenated the players enough to see that pressing and intensity back in our game.

DevTheRed

Personally I’d love to see a 4-2-2-2.

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw/Williams
McTominay Fred
Bruno Pogba
Greenwood Martial​

Full backs providing the width, two holding CM’s dealing with the press and our two best passers of the ball influencing the team further up the pitch where they should be.

Rashford looks in dire need of rest and that front two look bang in form at the moment.