Social Media Justice: A "Karen" faces consequences for threatening a Black man with cops

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Here is the story all the rage on social media today -

A white woman has apologised for calling police on a black man in Central Park on Monday, after the two argued about her unleashed dog.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/26/us/central-park-video-dog-video-african-american-trnd/index.html

Video in question:

The women is definitely out of order but in super quick time all of her info was doxxed online including personal social media accounts, employment info and even her dog's instagram account. Subsequently she has been put on admin leave by her company and her dog that she adopted few weeks ago has also been taken back.

People are openly are rooting for her life to be ruined due to this incident which I think is a bit much despite her egregious actions.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Already in racism thread. And nah, I think she deserves it. Thats an unemployable person if I ever saw one.

Silva

"I'm going to call the cops and tell them an African American man is threatening me" and proceeds to faux hysterically do it, looks like my sympathy jar's kinda empty atm

GiddyUp

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/26/us/central-park-video-dog-video-african-american-trnd/index.html

Video in question:

The women is definitely out of order but in super quick time all of her info was doxxed online including personal social media accounts, employment info and even her dog's instagram account. Subsequently she has been put on admin leave by her company and her dog that she adopted few weeks ago has also been taken back.

People openly are rooting for her life to be ruined due to this incident which I think is a bit much despite her egregious actions.
She deserves everything she gets just for the way she is handling her dog.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
She was willing to get him wrongly arrested, and it’s hard to argue his race wasn’t the motivating reason. I wouldn’t want her life ruined, but she didn’t have a fear of ruining his life when she called the police on the guy filming.

Also if she made an instagram for her dog, she probably deserves to go down for a long time.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can’t watch the video at the moment but if it’s accurate that she said she was going to call the police and tell them “an African American man is threatening me” and then proceeded to actually do that, clearly knowing full well the type of response that kind of thing is likely to elicit from US police, then that’s incredible fecked up.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Personally I'm pretty uncomfortable with the whole idea of social media justice - it's essentially mobs with pitchforks. This case looks pretty clear and people can have justifiable views on her actions.

But as we move into a world where deepfakes are possible, not to mention simply taking clips out of context - this becomes pretty scary. Be careful who you pick to dole out justice, basically.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Anyone who has an Instagram account for a fecking dog deserves to lose their job, not just for the nasty racist stuff.

Carolina Red

Staff
I can’t watch the video at the moment but if it’s accurate that she said she was going to call the police and tell them “an African American man is threatening me” and then proceeded to actually do that, clearly knowing full well the type of response that kind of thing is likely to elicit from US police, then that’s incredible fecked up.
That pretty much nails it. She also feigned being terrified and altered her voice and stuff to make it sound worse on the phone.

AaronRedDevil

Thought it was harsh hearing the dog being taking off her when I was reading it. Now after seeing the video, what the feck was she doing handling the dog like that. And the dog has an Instagram account? Ffs Karen. She was being a complete Cnut for no real reason. When will they ever learn.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In general there can be serious problems and serious consequences to the doxxing and online shaming of people who commit minor misdemeanors. We've seen it have awful consequences on people's lives many times in the past. So it's certainly something to be very conscious of before piling in on people online.

That doesn't mean you can behave awfully and expect no repercussions though. That's true of life in general and social media only amplifies it. People are going to judge you and treat you based on how you behave. And in this case it was more than a minor misdemeanor, it was outright racism and could have had serious consequences for the man she told the police was threatening her. Why wouldn't her employers suspend her in that case? Nobody wants to be associated with people who behave like that.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Video in question:

People openly are rooting for her life to be ruined due to this incident which I think is a bit much despite her egregious actions.
Interesting take. She was quite happy to ruin the life of somebody else, and the lives of his love ones potentially. She quite clearly abused her defenceless dog to.

Not sure how anyone could feel sorry for her when she's quite clearly a garbage human.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Tbh I'm biting my lip. From your title to your OP, all leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't really agree with making someones address or number or email publicly known on a huge scale (Social media accounts is a bit different because you can easily private them and it's more difficult to find out where someone lives from those) but she most definitely deserves to lose her job over this. She knew full well that saying he was African American would trigger a biased response from the police and trying to act increasingly terrified during the call was awful too. It also looks like shes strangling her dog during the ordeal too.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
She’s an absolute Cnut. But piling on is daft. She’s already been enough of a cnut.

Its not like she drove to Durham ffs. Back off a bit. Nobody wants to see her talking in a garden for an hour. Let’s stop before it gets there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Anyone who has an Instagram account for a fecking dog deserves to lose their job, not just for the nasty racist stuff.
Especially when they’re willing to strangle the poor thing half to death, to prove some weird point about leads. Obviously my sympathies should be with the guy being threatened with death by cop but, for me, the hardest thing to watch in that video is the animal cruelty. Why did she do that?!?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It isn't justice, that's one problem with trial by social media. People are willing to roll with it in this case as the woman was so reprehensible, basically threatening to lie to ruin this guy's life, but it's obviously not always so cut and dried.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That pretty much nails it. She also feigned being terrified and altered her voice and stuff to make it sound worse on the phone.
Ffs what a vile woman.

Is the poor animal getting dog's abuse on its Instagram now?
The dog has apparently been taken off her, she had recently adopted it and the home took it back.

It isn't justice, that's one problem with trial by social media. People are willing to roll with it in this case as the woman was so reprehensible, basically threatening to lie to ruin this guy's life, but it's obviously not always so cut and dried.
Definitely agree with this. I’ve mentioned it many times on here but Jon Ronsons book on the subject is very good.

Carolina Red

Staff
This is provocative but feck it, anything to distract from covid. Dods anyone else think that the most vicious and sustained twitter pile-ons tend to happen when it’s ‘progressive’ folk doing the piling on?
She's been placed on administrative leave for publicly being a racist twat. On the other side of the spectrum, these things frequently result in someone getting shot or hit with a car for doing things like existing or protesting people who are racist twats.

Wolverine

This is provocative but feck it, anything to distract from covid. Dods anyone else think that the most vicious and sustained twitter pile-ons tend to happen when it’s ‘progressive’ folk doing the piling on?
I think it can seem that way because of who you're following on there
I used to think that certainly but I'd rather have the progressive folk than the 4chan, reddit, incel, MAGA, certain ultranationalists modi-supporters on my case in terms of pile-ons in terms of what these pile-ons manifest into, the progressive types I'm sure there's death threats in there too and doxing but its usually along the lines of bombarding employers whereas the right-wing guys would genuinely make me want to change identities and hide because the right have the more gun-toting unhinged types and you only need to rile up one of them enough for things to get deadly

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The way she changes her voice on the phone towards the end of the video to sound more hysterical and frightened genuinely sends chills down my spine.

It's essentially the real life version of the end of get out.

feck me, what a truly vile person.

Silva

The ethics in video games woman? Fair point.

Although is there maybe a difference between the self-righteous pile-on I’m thinking of and the malicious trolling she endured?
idk there were a few morons on here who genuinely got righteous about the integrity of video game journalism, i'm also not sure the intent matters when you're in the middle of the storm

Wolverine

I do find myself feeling some sympathy for some of these people who are embodying the kind of Jon Ronson online shamed thing but this lady specifically wanted to get an innocent man murdered - she knew what the implication of saying to a African American man what "threatening african american man" means in terms of a buzzword for systemic racism with the sometimes fatal encounter with American law enforcement. She did that without caring for his life. I don't wish her harm as a result but finding it difficult to feel in any way sorry for her.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think it can seem that way because of who you're following on there
I used to think that certainly but I'd rather have the progressive folk than the 4chan, reddit, incel, MAGA, certain ultranationalists modi-supporters on my case in terms of pile-ons in terms of what these pile-ons manifest into, the progressive types I'm sure there's death threats in there too and doxing but its usually along the lines of bombarding employers whereas the right-wing guys would genuinely make me want to change identities and hide because the right have the more gun-toting unhinged types and you only need to rile up one of them enough for things to get deadly
First sentence is an excellent point. Hadn’t thought of that.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Why the feck was the guy filming her in the first place? Isn't that an invasion of privacy? Filming someone for walking their dog without a leash? Seriously? It seems everyone wants to be a justice warrior and hound people for breaking a rule, no matter how tiny it is.

Carolina Red

Staff
Why the feck was the guy filming her in the first place? Isn't that an invasion of privacy? Filming someone for walking their dog without a leash? Seriously? It seems everyone wants to be a justice warrior and hound people for breaking a rule, no matter how tiny it is.
Probably just in case she tried to kill him or call the cops and lie so they could kill him...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
crappy-
She specified his race and then changed her voice for the police, I think she literally wanted him dead. That voice change is one of the most disturbing things from any of these type of videos.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Meh. Zero sympathy for her whatsoever. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
On a more general point, there have been loads of Karen videos doing the rounds recently. In at least one of the videos posted on the caf, the ranting woman was CLEARLY in the grips of a psychotic illness, expressing paranoid delusions. Public shaming of people who are mentally ill is not cool at all.

Carolina Red

Staff
As a social experiment, I text that video to several of my conservative colleagues... 10 minutes later - "How is it legal to post that video without her permission?"