Sokratis Papastathopoulos

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
This guy deserves a thread in the FF. Epic name and really impressive whenever I've seen him play for Dortmund. At first I was a bit WTF when they moved Santana (shit as he was) for Sokratis. Although to be fair I hadn't seeen much of him at Bremen. But he's been incredibly consistent and to think that they acquired him for just 9 million € in today's inflated market just boggles the mind. What a steal for a player of his quality. He's really hit the ground running and taken his chances with injuries to Subotic/ Hummels. If Sokratis keeps the performances up it might be difficult for Subotic to dislodge him even though he's a Klopp-Mainz favourite. Quality player overall and another shrewd buy for Dortmund.

Mandatory Youtube Video (Can't find his Dortmund compilation unfortunately) :(

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Be interesting to see what happens if (when) ginther signs as well
four top quality centre backs who will all need games... I wonder if hummles might go for a lot of money (barca?) And subotic / sokrates become the regular partnership with ginther getting some games as cover to develop
or might klopp be planning to switch to three at the back?

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I dont rate him at all. I think he's average at most.
One of the fastest defenders (and players in general) in the Bundesliga, was in the leagues top bracket in terms of won challenges (both in the air and on the ground) and interceptions and delivered good performances in the CL. If that guy is "average at most" there are a lot of horrible CBs running around. The guy would walk right into United´s starting lineup.

Be interesting to see what happens if (when) ginther signs as well
four top quality centre backs who will all need games... I wonder if hummles might go for a lot of money (barca?) And subotic / sokrates become the regular partnership with ginther getting some games as cover to develop
or might klopp be planning to switch to three at the back?
Ginter will most likely be an option for the DM and Hummels´ back up, because his skillset is similar to the latter, while Sokratis/Subotic as highly athletic and fast no nonsense defenders represent the ideal partner. In the long run he could be built as Hummels´ eventual successor, but it won´t be in the next Summer.

Hummels won´t leave this Summer, though, as he confirmed very recently in several interviews. He also still has a long running contract (2017) and no clause, so I don´t see Dortmund letting him go before 2015 or even 2016.

We also won´t play with three CB´s, because the FBs are way too important for Klopp´s system.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ac milan and genoa reject
Just like Reus was a former Dortmund reject.....
Sometimes people make stupid decisions and sometimes players develop later as others. Does not stop the latter to become top class football players.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Definitely a value for money transfer for Borrusia Dortmund. He and Schalke's Kyriakos Papadopoulos are the best Greek CBs, right now. I can tell you he is a shy, down to earth person and the majority of the Greek fans believe that he can do better and move to an even bigger club.

I was a bit surprised (in a good way) that he survived Bremen's horrible tactics which abused defenders and got Klopp's attention. I think he will be much better next season.

He has always shown improvement when he had the right guidance. He made his breakthrough, at AEK Athens, under Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, who has managed Barcelona and Betis. He trusted him with a place in the starting xi at the age of 20, which is very uncommon in Greece. In that AEK side Sokratis also had the opportunity to play along side Dellas. I know that Greek players aren't rated at all here, but Dellas was a key memeber of the Greek team that won the Euro 2004 and he was Capello's personal choice for the CB position when he was at Roma.

He didn't succeed at Milan but Bremen were terrible the last couple of years. I don't know why others mention his two season at Genoa in a negative way. His first season there was his first time in a foreign country and the press in Italy are very critical regarding foreign CBs, as they believe that their domestic production is enough to fill all Serie A demands. In his second season there he started in most of Genoa's games and became a fan favorite. That's why AC Milan where interested in him.

I think that under a sublime manager like Klopp and with a player of Hummels' caliber in the same team he can only become better. He is fast and that gives him the opportunity to defend outside the box comfortably, he is very good in intercepting first balls towards the forward and he is excellent when it comes to aerial duels. He still has to improve his passing (i think he has this season) and he must stop committing needless fouls in dangerous positions.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I would be very surprised if Dortmund sell. Hummels and Subotic aren't at 100% and Ginter still needs to adjust. Sokratis on the other hand has been one of their best players in every single game this (pre-)season. Dortmund are also more or less done with their squad, so they don't need the money and they probably would have a lot of trouble finding a suitable replacement for a reasonable price at this point.

Santos J

Great defender, would be quality for Arsenal. Would be surprised if Dortmund let him go though.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Just had a look at Arsenal's current roster... only three senior CBs (Mertesacker, Koscielny and Chambers)! How did Wenger manage to achieve that? And i thought we had problems at the back.

Socratis is a ready-made solution at a very good age. He is rather quick which could be useful for Wenger's (very) high defensive line and he could create a good pairing with either of the other three senior CBs in Arsenal's roster.

But with Subotic's injury problems and with Hummels not ready yet, i pretty much doubt Dortmund will sale, at least not without Arsenal overpaying. They signed Matthias Ginter, a very talented 20 yo CB, but i don't think they consider him ready to start in each and every game yet.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Just had a look at Arsenal's current roster... only three senior CBs (Mertesacker, Koscielny and Chambers)! How did Wenger manage to achieve that? And i thought we had problems at the back.

Socratis is a ready-made solution at a very good age. He is rather quick which could be useful for Wenger's (very) high defensive line and he could create a good pairing with either of the other three senior CBs in Arsenal's roster.

But with Subotic's injury problems and with Hummels not ready yet, i pretty much doubt Dortmund will sale, at least not without Arsenal overpaying. They signed Matthias Ginter, a very talented 20 yo CB, but i don't think they consider him ready to start in each and every game yet.
We only had three all last season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wait i'm sure they've got that wrong. Aren't Arsenal bidding for the other Greek defender Kostas Manolas?.

quackattack

Come on Woody, use your Shinji wand!
For obvious reasons I don't see how that would work (Dort needs backup and stable defenders as it is risky if one of the CB's gets injured), on the other hand Klopp loves Kagawa and United hates him...

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

We only had three all last season.
Really? I had not realised that, but then again you had Vermaelen, who was experienced and proven at top level and Sagna could also play there, under some circumstances.

However you look at at it, three CBs are not enough if you want to compete at all fronts. Socratis is a good choice, i think he would do pretty well in the PL.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
For obvious reasons I don't see how that would work (Dort needs backup and stable defenders as it is risky if one of the CB's gets injured), on the other hand Klopp loves Kagawa and United hates him...
Yeah, I doubt we're even in for him anyway. Best way would be to tempt Dortmund with Kagawa and an option on Reus (when he moves). Dortmund would love to not sell to Bayern and I can't see Reus fitting in at Real/Barca (not that that will stop them).

But yeah, I think Dortmund won't have much say on the matter as he'll have a buyout clause.

quackattack

Yeah, I doubt we're even in for him anyway. Best way would be to tempt Dortmund with Kagawa and an option on Reus (when he moves). Dortmund would love to not sell to Bayern and I can't see Reus fitting in at Real/Barca (not that that will stop them).

But yeah, I think Dortmund won't have much say on the matter as he'll have a buyout clause.
I also believe (not that I have any source whatsoever) that Reus and Hummels might want to stay at Dortmund themselves, I believe I have read that somewhere, but don't recall right now. Anyways I feel that Klopp, with the relatively limited squad and resources he has always comes out well as either the current players perform very well or youngsters blossom. In this case, Sokratis really has shown that he is class, and/but also the fact that Klopp can make things happen. Not that it is something new, but Klopp is a very special manager in many ways:)

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I also believe (not that I have any source whatsoever) that Reus and Hummels might want to stay at Dortmund themselves, I believe I have read that somewhere, but don't recall right now. Anyways I feel that Klopp, with the relatively limited squad and resources he has always comes out well as either the current players perform very well or youngsters blossom. In this case, Sokratis really has shown that he is class, and/but also the fact that Klopp can make things happen. Not that it is something new, but Klopp is a very special manager in many ways:)
Yeah to be competitive on that budget (relative to other big clubs), after losing key player after key player....very SAF-like in his ability to continuously rebuild.

But that's another story.

RooneyLegend

Why would Dortmund even be entertaining this idea? Subotic and Humels have proven that they cant stay fit and sokratis looked every bit s good as subotic last season.

Spielmacher

I'd take him ahead of Rüdiger, but not really my preferred option. Let's sign a midfielder first.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
I'd take him ahead of Rüdiger, but not really my preferred option. Let's sign a midfielder first.
Sokratis is miles better than Rüdiger at the moment. I really didn't expect him to play this well at Dortmund tbh. He would certainly help both United and Arsenal but I can't imagine that Dortmund would sell.

Spielmacher

Sokratis is miles better than Rüdiger at the moment. I really didn't expect him to play this well at Dortmund tbh. He would certainly help both United and Arsenal but I can't imagine that Dortmund would sell.
Obviously, but I don't see the problem in individuals when it comes to our defence and we have the numbers. The whole set-up ahead of them forces them to build-up mistakes, the game from Evans against MK Dons was extreme, yeah, but some other mistakes we made were all due to build-up problems, so we either work on our movement in midfield or we let Hummels play at CB who can play brilliant long passes. Papastathopoulos won't solve our problems, he is a rock, but not good at building up the game.

Ah, how I wish we would play a proper formation.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55736766

Sokratis Papastathopoulos: Arsenal defender leaves club by mutual consent
Good luck to him, he's been a good servant and a great professional. Too bad he couldn't get it sorted at the start of the season but at least he didn't cause any trouble, no shittalking.
Solid performances on average when he was selected. Mustafi, Luiz and maybe Chambers next.