Sol Campbell - Finally gets a job

Walters_19_MuFc

Former England defender Sol Campbell has been appointed as manager of Macclesfield Town, the bottom club in the English Football League.

It is the 44-year-old's first managerial position and he has taken charge with the Silkmen five points adrift at the foot of League Two.

Campbell played 73 times for England and appeared in six major tournaments.

He also won several domestic honours, including Premier League titles with Arsenal in 2001-02 and 2003-04.

Macclesfield were National League champions last season but have struggled on their return to the EFL, winning only two of their 19 league games so far this season.

BBC Radio Manchester reported on 23 November that Campbell had held initial talks with Macclesfield, and he was pictured on Tuesday arriving at the club's Moss Rose ground to finalise an 18-month contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46357879

Thought I'd make a thread on it as I know Campbell has been looking for a managerial job for quite a while now. For what ever reason, he hasn't been given a chance.

Bit surprised an ex player of his CV hasn't been given a chance at a higher club i.e. Gerrard, Lampard, etc, but he now has a chance to prove himself at Macclesfield, although it'll be a very tough task.

It'll be amusing if he falls flat on his face after all the accusations he's thrown around.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He thought he was above jobs like that, so it’s no real surprise when clubs like that didn’t want to offer him a job managing them. He’s also proven himself to be a bit unhinged, so it’s not hard to see why clubs weren’t exactly queueing up.

Still, at least he’s got something now. Let’s see how he does.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Good luck to him. Happy to see people like him, Lampard, Giggsy, Gerrard, and Henry go into management instead of punditry.

Josep Dowling

It'll be amusing if he falls flat on his face after all the accusations he's thrown around.
He definitely will with the job he’s taken on, with no experience at that level I expect him to fall flat on his face then struggle to get another job. Hope he proves me wrong!

lsd

The Oracle
Hope he does well and now I'm off to read the DM comments section

Bola

Check out @kickitout’s Tweet:
Do kick it out do this for every managerial appointment or just a select few?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Why has the media gone on a run of headlines suggesting that he didn't get a job sooner because he's black.

It's pretty evident that he didn't get jobs because he's an absolute weapon of the highest order.

Words of wisdom from ol moany Sulzeer

"I’m 30 now and in five years' time I won't be in this country. That's definite. Italy looks good to me because it would suit my kind of football. Spain is an option." - He joined Portsmouth

“Mansion tax. Now that would really affect me. Maybe that is selfish, but it is a real thing.” - On the proposed Mansion Tax (He's a Tory)

"I'm one of the greatest minds in football and I'm being wasted because of a lack of experience" - After being rejected by Oxford (They offered the job to Craig Bellamy who had worked at youth level to gain experience)

"Go to Germany, they love people who speak their minds. They got the jobs. I'm sorry that I've got a mind, but don't be scared of that. That should be something you want at your club, but obviously not." - Telling the world he's brainy again.

"I've got no OBE, MBE, nothing. And no one says anything… How can I have this career? And be who I am? And no one's said anything? To get an MBE, just three people have got to write in. Three people have never written in about Sol!” - On having no friends

TL/DR;
- If something good happens it's because he's the smartest, most handsome and talented man to ever grace the beautiful game.
- If something bad happens it's because the whole world of football is a racist cesspit and these racists are holding back his brilliance.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
"I just talked to Jesus, he said, "What up Sol?"I said, "Shit I'm chilling trying to stack these millions". I know he the most high, but I am a close high. Mi casa non es su casa, that's our costra nostra. I am a God" - Sol Campbell

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Good luck to him. Happy to see people like him, Lampard, Giggsy, Gerrard, and Henry go into management instead of punditry.
Quite agree with you.
I have a healthy hatred of ex footballers who don't even attempt to try coaching or management then sit on their increasingly fat backsides and criticise always with hindsight those who do.

Sol may be a divisive character but don't forget he was one hell of a player.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Seaman was on Talk Sport yesterday saying all the Arsenal players tried to avoid him as if he caught you it was 30 minutes of nonsense talk.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Quite agree with you.
I have a healthy hatred of ex footballers who don't even attempt to try coaching or management then sit on their increasingly fat backsides and criticise always with hindsight those who do.

Sol may be a divisive character but don't forget he was one hell of a player.
Being a great player doesn’t mean he will be a good manager or even a decent person. He comes across as a bit of a twat

UnrelatedPsuedo

Check out @kickitout’s Tweet:
Do kick it out do this for every managerial appointment or just a select few?
Kick it Out are an absolute joke and always have been. They have a noble aim but the organisation is completely toothless.

Their reports are only useful as toilet paper.

The latest releases have somehow been twisted to show a huge increase in discrimination in football. They've used percentages to make things look horrific. The actual data* shows that there is almost ZERO racism in football.

If anyone could honestly look me in the eye and tell me that there were only 273 racist incidents in all of football last year - that's ALL of English football, Professional, Grassroots, men, women, senior and adult combined - I'd tell them to shut the organisation and be done with it. Racism has been eradicated.

What I got from the data is that people are now slightly more willing to talk about it, report it and shine light on it. That's about it.

It's just all so pathetic. I could sit at Upton Park when they play Chelsea and count more than 520 incidents of Racist, Homophobic, Sexist, Faith-Based or Disability-related just from people within earshot, in 90 minutes.

That they've had only 520 reports, of all types of abuse, across a whole fcuking year, from all of football.... Jesus Christ they must be a room full of idiots to issue press collateral and post it publicly.

* - To be clear, my problem is with their data and collection methods. Not their aim of ending abuse in football

Matt007a

Not long ago he was refusing to take jobs in the lower leagues because he thought he was too good for it. While other ex pros were trying their hand at youth coaching or the lower leagues, Sol was just moaning that EPL clubs didn't want him because he was black. Nothing to do with his refusal to gain experience and work his way up, or his massive sense of entitlement...

He'll play the race card again when he's sacked probably.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Fair play Sol. I've given him shit in the past when he's run his mouth about this and that but if he can turn Macclesfield around he'll gain huge respect.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not long ago he was refusing to take jobs in the lower leagues because he thought he was too good for it. While other ex pros were trying their hand at youth coaching or the lower leagues, Sol was just moaning that EPL clubs didn't want him because he was black. Nothing to do with his refusal to gain experience and work his way up, or his massive sense of entitlement...

This is the thing, people complain that all the premier league managers are 60 year old white men, but those are the best of the best who have spent 20, 30, 40 years getting to that point. You can’t join that top table unless you’re of similar age/experience or you do something amazing at a young age to stand out, e.g Jose in ‘04, Pochettino, Marco Silva etc.

Look at where Big Sam was 20 years ago. Managing the same clubs that Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Sol Campbell and Paul Ince are/have been. He had to work his way up to get there. Who’s the one black manager with any comparable experience/success? 60 year old Chris Hughton, who happens to have a premier league job.

Matt007a

"I know some Macclesfield fans will probably be saying 'what is going on here?' But you've got an international footballer, who has been one of the best footballers in the world, coming to your club. I think it's a nice mutual balance there.”

Thanks for backing up my opinion Sol! Entitled much?

UnrelatedPsuedo

"I know some Macclesfield fans will probably be saying 'what is going on here?' But you've got an international footballer, who has been one of the best footballers in the world, coming to your club. I think it's a nice mutual balance there.”

He’s basically an English Donald Trump.

Minimalist

He's a brexiteer and a tory.

What sort of personality were people expecting?

AlwaysRed66

If his managerial skills equal his ego he should be having Macclesfield challenge for the Champions League in a few years

UnrelatedPsuedo

He's a brexiteer and a tory.

What sort of personality were people expecting?
He also once answered a question of “How does London need to move forward?” With the response : ‘London should be far greener and use sustainable fuels etc’

He drove to the interview in a Range Rover and has only used the tube once or twice.

He’s an absolute fcuk-knuckle.

I really hope Macclesfield get smashed in every game he manages and that he’s out of a job inside a month. I hope to see a sign in the stands that reads;

“We’d still hate you if you were white”

tomaldinho1

Saw this - strikes me as a manager who players will become disillusioned with very quickly. Clearly has an ego which will be his downfall in a job that is constantly critiqued by every man and his dog.

SER19

I remember seeing him on Nevilles show and thinking he was an incredibly arrogant, unlikable guy with more than a touch of david brent. Thought at the time hell never be a succesful manager.

Will be interesting to see.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
He also once answered a question of “How does London need to move forward?” With the response : ‘London should be far greener and use sustainable fuels etc’

He drove to the interview in a Range Rover and has only used the tube once or twice.
:lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I remember seeing him on Nevilles show and thinking he was an incredibly arrogant, unlikable guy with more than a touch of david brent. Thought at the time hell never be a succesful manager.

Will be interesting to see.
He makes Brent look self aware.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
"Macclesfield fans will probably say 'what's going on here?'" he said when asked if his appointment was a gamble.

"You've got an international footballer who has been one of the best footballers in the world coming to your club, I think there's a nice mutual balance there."
:lol:

Toad

Hope he does well then when Mourinho gets sacked we can have a thread titled ‘Better call Sol’